• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Apologies for not responding to this soon enough, it got to the point where I went to game stores to just try to buy the 1.02 melee but no success ;(. Going to go to a weekly today would like to figure this out so I can take this setup. My apps folder has a folder in it called gcmm and I can't delete it which carries boot.dol, a png, and a meta.xml file in it. The other file in the apps folder is diosmios lite_2.11.wad

I tried deleeting gcmm and it wouldn't delete, i'm on a mac because my desktop doesn't have a sd slot so I have to drag it to the trash bin and it says: The item “gcmm” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted.

I have 20xx ready to throw on my sd card but I can't get rid of gcmm, and I'm not trying to re hack my wii to get these files back.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.
If you haven't got it working yet
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2nfegc/updated_guide_usb_or_sd_loading_uachilles1515s/
Hopefully following this guide you can get it to work, I am not sure where you are in the process, so I would just recommend starting over as it doesn't take very long with this method. I am not an expert so while what you have done previously I wouldn't think would affect this working, I don't really know. Unless you are going to be doing some music hacking, I would recommend Nintendont as it is simpler and less risk. Ask if it doesn't work, somebody else might be able to solve it.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
You could maybe found a mediafire link for the 4.04 patch if you look on this thread at arround the release date.

To get normal cpu again, go to the debug menu, general codes, vs player flag and turn P2 "cpu type" to "normalish"
2 Questions:
1. Does that keep 20xx DI?
2. Does that keep recovering like normal cpus or does it change recovering to be like the hard cpus i.e. realistic recovering

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
Is there a guide on how to modify the iso in order to change the standard values? (Pal characters, no rainbow fd and so on)

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Is there a guide on how to modify the iso in order to change the standard values? (Pal characters, no rainbow fd and so on)
Just go into debug mode to change that stuff

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
I know but i don't like to take my memory card with me and i got a modded cube, so virtual memory card is no option

O ciN

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if it's been answered/asked before, and I'm sorry if it has, but I've been having issues with the stage select screen. The cursor instantly goes back to its original position after trying to move it, making it unusable. Also if I try to go to hacked stages with d-pad, it completely bugs out with an empty SS screen except for one empty box in the middle. Anyone know any solutions?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it's been answered/asked before, and I'm sorry if it has, but I've been having issues with the stage select screen. The cursor instantly goes back to its original position after trying to move it, making it unusable. Also if I try to go to hacked stages with d-pad, it completely bugs out with an empty SS screen except for one empty box in the middle. Anyone know any solutions?
I had this issue while trying to use Gecko cheat codes on Dolphin. Are you using a Wii?

O ciN

Smash Rookie
I had this issue while trying to use Gecko cheat codes on Dolphin. Are you using a Wii?
Nope, I'm using it on PC. The regular Melee ISO worked fine though, and so did the Netplay.
As I typed this, I facepalmed inwardly, the netplay gecko hack! Of course! Just disabled it and its working perfectly now, thanks!

CharM3D

Smash Rookie
Is there any good way to practice ledgestalling and tell whether or not I'm invincible for the whole time? The main part of the ledgestall that I'm having issues with is when I'm hanging from the ledge. I know that if Fox spends more than 1 frame in the CliffWait action state (When he finishes his edge grab animation and is waiting on the edge), he'll be vulnerable during the last few frames of Fire Fox (depending on how much time he spends on the ledge). I've been trying to use the % frame counter and color overlays to figure out if I'm spending too many frames on the edge, and neither of those have worked. The % frame counter resets when I grab the edge again, making it difficult to use for practice. Setting one of the color overlays to CliffWait doesn't work either, because you can't drop from the edge on the first frame of CliffWait, so the overlay always appears. I've also tried using collision bubbles, but the yellow vulnerable collision bubbles are hard to see behind the Fire Fox animation. Is there any easier way to tell if I'm ledgestalling properly, such as a way to have a color overlay whenever I'm vulnerable?

EDIT: Just noticed that with Dolphin's wireframe option on, it's easy to see hitbubbles through the fire animation.

Last edited:

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Does anybody know if you can have the pokemon stadium transformation stages going to a different transformation than are standard? Like I want to you to leave the normal water, fire, rock transformation for the Pokemon stadium on the first page, but for the frozen fire, water and rock I want those to go Steelia's HQ Pokemon stadium transformations. Is that possible?

V_D_X

Smash Cadet
Is there any good way to practice ledgestalling and tell whether or not I'm invincible for the whole time? The main part of the ledgestall that I'm having issues with is when I'm hanging from the ledge. I know that if Fox spends more than 1 frame in the CliffWait action state (When he finishes his edge grab animation and is waiting on the edge), he'll be vulnerable during the last few frames of Fire Fox (depending on how much time he spends on the ledge). I've been trying to use the % frame counter and color overlays to figure out if I'm spending too many frames on the edge, and neither of those have worked. The % frame counter resets when I grab the edge again, making it difficult to use for practice. Setting one of the color overlays to CliffWait doesn't work either, because you can't drop from the edge on the first frame of CliffWait, so the overlay always appears. I've also tried using collision bubbles, but the yellow vulnerable collision bubbles are hard to see behind the Fire Fox animation. Is there any easier way to tell if I'm ledgestalling properly, such as a way to have a color overlay whenever I'm vulnerable?
You should have 36 frames to react to the frame counter updating, which should be more than enough time to figure out what it says

Acryte

Smash Ace
Turning on the hurtbox bubbles you can see when it goes from blue and then flashes yellow when vulnerable. It's about as direct as you can get. (X or Y)+ Dpad Right.

CharM3D

Smash Rookie
You should have 36 frames to react to the frame counter updating, which should be more than enough time to figure out what it says
I tried that, and it didn't really work too well for me. Plus, I'd rather not get in the habit of looking at the frame counter after every ledgestall. Thanks for the reply, though.

CharM3D

Smash Rookie
Turning on the hurtbox bubbles you can see when it goes from blue and then flashes yellow when vulnerable. It's about as direct as you can get. (X or Y)+ Dpad Right.
I tried that, but it's hard to see the yellow hurtbox bubbles behind the fire. Thanks for the reply.

PrettyFalcoJodeye

Smash Rookie
Hey I tried playing frinedlies on Hyrule Castle w/ items on very high and nothing spawned, anybody else have this issue?

I know it has something to do with loading a target test stage (hyrule castle is over peach's target test), but is there any workaround?

(other hacked stages like warioware work fine b/c they're not ported over TT stages... GC stage has the same issue)

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Here's a Stage Pack of most of the imports into the "Hacked Stages" select screen for 20XX. Comes with stage icons.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/atl6los7wa8zx15/Stage_Pack.zip

Added:

-Silph Co
-Metal Cavern
-Miiverse
-75m
-Metroid Labs
-Kalos w/ background
-Suzuka Castle

How-To

-Place all the files in the .zip into your 20XX root folder. Open GCR > Options > Check Do not use 'game.toc'.
-Rebuild.

Last edited:

Itaru

MasterGanon
Here's a Stage Pack of most of the imports into the "Hacked Stages" select screen for 20XX. Comes with stage icons.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1gkys0xpepmwbo0/Stage_Pack.zip

Added:

-Silph Co
-Metal Cavern
-Miiverse
-75m
-Metroid Labs
-Kalos w/ background
-Suzuka Castle

How-To

-Place all the files in the .zip into your 20XX root folder. Open GCR > Options > Check Do not use 'game.toc'.
-Rebuild.

Probably, you made a mistake about file name:)
MnSlMap .2sd -> MnSlMap.2sd

Last edited:

Tipsi

Smash Rookie
Will the in-game code toggles for cpu holding shield & shieldgrabbing etc. be included in 4.06? Because for some reason 3.02 keeps crashing on me when I practice shield pressure... 4.05 works fine, though. And is there an ETA yet?

EDIT: Everytime it crashes, the cpu is grabbing me out of shield. It doesn't always happen, just sometimes..

Last edited:

PrettyFalcoJodeye

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know if you can have the pokemon stadium transformation stages going to a different transformation than are standard? Like I want to you to leave the normal water, fire, rock transformation for the Pokemon stadium on the first page, but for the frozen fire, water and rock I want those to go Steelia's HQ Pokemon stadium transformations. Is that possible?
I don't think it's possible, given that poke stadium is a transforming stage. Take a gander at this guide; specifically the byte replacement portion of it. Byte replacements allow you to load multiple versions of the same stage (for example you can have one slot load GrOy.dat (Yoshi's n64), while another loads GrOy.wat (warioware)). Given that Poke Stadium is a transforming stage though, I don't think this would work.

Very long-winded way of saying you're out of luck. Still, you can load alternate textures pretty easily on every stage except pokemon stadium with byte replacements

Edit: Ignore this, byte replacements work with PokeStad according to Achilles. Still, look through this guide for a tutorial on how to do byte replacements. Achilles posted the RAM pointers below, just use melee toolbox to convert the Hex address into a RAM address

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Should be able to just change these filenames with the stage swap code.

Capture.PNG

These are RAM offsets btw.

GrPs1 = Pokemon Stadium {Fire}
GrPs2 = Pokemon Stadium {Grass}
GrPs3 = Pokemon Stadium {Water}
GrPs4 = Pokemon Stadium {Rock}

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Should be able to just change these filenames with the stage swap code.

View attachment 117917
These are RAM offsets btw.

GrPs1 = Pokemon Stadium {Fire}
GrPs2 = Pokemon Stadium {Grass}
GrPs3 = Pokemon Stadium {Water}
GrPs4 = Pokemon Stadium {Rock}
I don't understand, how can I change these so they are different for each page?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Achilles1515 Achilles1515

I have a suggestion for a training option, possibly incorporated as an event match. This training mode would help people practice mashing out of grabs. It would go something like this: an Ice Climbers CPU would standing grab a player 0% and start a frame perfect wobble. The player's job is to mash out of the grab before the wobble starts. If successful, the situation would reset and the player would have 10% damage. The ICs would grab them again and they have to mash out before the wobble starts. Then 20%, then 30%, etc.

Another option would be to have a Sheik CPU grab the player and pummel, say, 4 times then dthrow. If the player mashes out, then the situation resets, the Sheik grabs you again, but this time attempts 3 pummels before the throw. If you mash out, reset, then 2 pummels. Then 1. If you mash out of 1 pummel, then the event says "Success!". There should probably be an option to increment the percentage, but idk if that's feasible.

At the simplest incarnation, some sort of number representing how many mash inputs were achieved before breaking out of grab/being thrown would be useful so people can see how effective their mashing techniques are.

This is just something I thought of and hope you might consider including in the next hack pack.

yourwifeandkids

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-6894-1918
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Apologies if you've answered this somewhere else, but I'm having a hell of a time finding the answer - where's the song that plays in the debug menu from? I know it from my childhood but I can't for the life of me remember where from.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Apologies if you've answered this somewhere else, but I'm having a hell of a time finding the answer - where's the song that plays in the debug menu from? I know it from my childhood but I can't for the life of me remember where from.
Do what I did in that guide that P PrettyFalcoJodeye linked, in the section about loading GrTFe.kat. Add one of Steelia's transformation stages to the ISO filesystem (rebuild with GCR) and rename it something like GrPs1.sat (or whatever you want), then setup the 20XX stage swap table to change the letter of the corresponding transformation stage.

I have a suggestion for a training option, possibly incorporated as an event match. This training mode would help people practice mashing out of grabs. It would go something like this: an Ice Climbers CPU would standing grab a player 0% and start a frame perfect wobble. The player's job is to mash out of the grab before the wobble starts. If successful, the situation would reset and the player would have 10% damage. The ICs would grab them again and they have to mash out before the wobble starts. Then 20%, then 30%, etc.

Another option would be to have a Sheik CPU grab the player and pummel, say, 4 times then dthrow. If the player mashes out, then the situation resets, the Sheik grabs you again, but this time attempts 3 pummels before the throw. If you mash out, reset, then 2 pummels. Then 1. If you mash out of 1 pummel, then the event says "Success!". There should probably be an option to increment the percentage, but idk if that's feasible.

At the simplest incarnation, some sort of number representing how many mash inputs were achieved before breaking out of grab/being thrown would be useful so people can see how effective their mashing techniques are.

This is just something I thought of and hope you might consider including in the next hack pack.
I agree that there should be something for practicing mashouts. I guess I need to get Ice Climbers wobbling first, lol. I'm going to need to think about this one, but I do like your first idea.

I haven't done any coding in the last few weeks and have been solely working on model hacking and importing. But I'm getting a little burnt out and need to get back in the swing of things with new features.

EDIT: Just noticed that with Dolphin's wireframe option on, it's easy to see hitbubbles through the fire animation.
I understand what you mean, and don't believe there is anything that can get you exactly what you want. Back when I was rewriting the code for color overlays, I had options for intangibility/invincibility. But they didn't work that well because the default white flash color overlay when grabbing an edge would trump the color overlay I was trying to apply. But I've figured out how to avoid that, so I may look back into it.

Last edited:

PrettyFalcoJodeye

Smash Rookie
Ok I posted a longer walk-through, that explains the process for a yoshi's story hack. Hopefully this'll help you understand the guide Achilles posted

Here's what I did:
Installed 20xx 4.05, then read through this guide
Basically you'll need to do 2 things: Modify MnSchl1 (or whatever it's called) with DAT texture wizard to change the icon of the stage (this is just for aesthetic reasons, doesn't affect loading the stage).

Next, you'll have to use a byte replacement to load in the alternate texture. You're talking about Yoshi's Story (GrSt.dat), so what you'll have to do is open up Start.dol in a hex editor, then search for /GrSt.dat (or whatever other stage you're trying to find. Look out for line breaks too b/c they mess up searching for stages like Green Greens 64)

Once you've located /GrSt.dat, note the offset for the d in dat; that's the character you're going to overwrite. In this case, it's located at 0x3DF746 (note that people write offsets with a 0x in front of them). Take that 3DF746 and plug into melee code manager's RAM address conversion (under the tools tab). The RAM address in this case is 0x803E2746. This tells the game which characters in the hex it should alter when the stage is selected

The next step is to hop down to the stage replacements section. I'm going to overwrite brinstar depths, on the first page, with an alternate Yoshi's story (just as an example). First, I'd hop down to 0x003F8D50 and replace the first 8 digits (00 00 00 00) with 803E2746 (the RAM address). Next, I'd replace the 00 at 0x3F8D48 with 09 (this forces the game to load yoshi story rather than brinstar depths). Finally, replace the 00 at 0x003F8D60 with 31 (Hex value for "1"). Now, when the stage loads brinstar depths, it will instead load yoshi's story. Thanks to the byte replacement it will load up GrSt.1at (because you replaced that d from .dat with 1, 0x31 in hex).

Finally it's a matter of adding your texture hacked yoshi's story to the root. Rename the file to GrSt.1at (it'll show up as a .1at file; that's fine, it'll load properly). Make sure to uncheck "use game ToC" then rebuild the ISO.

This is by far the easiest way to do it IMO. Make sure to read Achilles guide, it breaks down everything you can do with stage replacements. Hopefully this helped!
Finally, just some tips:
For fire Poke, you'll need to do a byte replacement over GrPs1.dat. Make sure the stage flags are correct (read the guide for more info, fire transformation flag is C0).
For jungle Poke, do a byte replacement over GrPs2.dat. For water, GrPs3.dat. And for canyon, replace GrPs4.dat. Add the Steelia's texture hacks into the root, saved as GrPs1.1at, GrPs2.1at, GrPs3.1at, and GrPs4.1at

Last edited:

PrettyFalcoJodeye

Smash Rookie
Any clue on how to get items to spawn (in regular matches) on Hyrule Castle in 20xx?
I know the issue stems from Hyrule Castle being ported over Peach's target test stage, but is there any fix?

AU Ocelot

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm new to the 20XX Hack pack. I was wondering if you could play it on Dolphin Emulator and how do you do it because I don't want to do the entire process plus buying a WII. I need help please!!

PrettyFalcoJodeye

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm new to the 20XX Hack pack. I was wondering if you could play it on Dolphin Emulator and how do you do it because I don't want to do the entire process plus buying a WII. I need help please!!
Yeah you can do it, debug menu might crash, but other than that it plays perfectly
Just download the 20xx root then open GCRebuilder (the GC logo app), which is included in the DL. In the top, click on root->open, then open the folder named "root" in the 20xx download. Next, hit root->save, then pick a name for your ISO.
Finally click root->rebuild, and you should have a working ISO for dolphin

Last edited:

d z

Smash Cadet
How do you get the Debug camera controls working in 4.05 (ie dpad up to lock camera, L + cstick to zoom and R + cstick to pan)? Even with debug mode set to develop I can't seem to use these.

yourwifeandkids

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-6894-1918
6) Now we need to add the song name ASCII text that will appear in the debug menu. In the step above, your new entry was "0x80fd9da0". Subtract 0x80bec720 from the new entry value. (In this example, 0x80fd9da0 - 0x80bec720 = 003ed680). Take the result and go to the offset in MnSlChr.usd.

7) Add your song name (ASCII to hex conversion). 31 character max.
When I get to this point in replacing HPS files in the root, I end up at an offset where, if I just go ahead and do ASCII to hex conversion, I'd be overwriting ASCII that's already there. Anyone know if things have changed since Achilles1515 Achilles1515 wrote this guide? Some change in the hex subtraction value? Working on adding songs to 4.05 atm. Thanks.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
When I get to this point in replacing HPS files in the root, I end up at an offset where, if I just go ahead and do ASCII to hex conversion, I'd be overwriting ASCII that's already there. Anyone know if things have changed since Achilles1515 Achilles1515 wrote this guide? Some change in the hex subtraction value? Working on adding songs to 4.05 atm. Thanks.
How many HPS files have you added and what offset are you seeing that ASCII already exists at? I thought I left enough room for ASCII for all 255 but it's been a while since I've looked at it...
Any clue on how to get items to spawn (in regular matches) on Hyrule Castle in 20xx?
I know the issue stems from Hyrule Castle being ported over Peach's target test stage, but is there any fix?
Not at the moment. I briefly looked into it, probably about a year ago, and noticed that the normal item function is never executed, but never figured out why or kept looking. Not sure if it's a flag or something hardcoded in ASM.

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
How do you get more than one SSS?
4.05 comes with 3.
There are good tools to do that automatically and fast, have you checked out
https://smashboards.com/threads/mel...a-hps-builder-v1-1c-update-2016-04-14.434288/
in combination with this
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...ack-pack-v4-05-update-3-17-16.351221/page-150 ?
You can also use https://smashboards.com/threads/20xx-music-manager-v1-2f-update-2016-04-14.434669/#post-21139926
but I don't recommend it, fast and easy though. I think there is a tool out there that supports custom looping, I am not sure which though. However, if you want to do it manually, it goes up from the point 003ed4e0 in MnSlChr.
Ok I posted a longer walk-through, that explains the process for a yoshi's story hack. Hopefully this'll help you understand the guide Achilles posted

Finally, just some tips:
For fire Poke, you'll need to do a byte replacement over GrPs1.dat. Make sure the stage flags are correct (read the guide for more info, fire transformation flag is C0).
For jungle Poke, do a byte replacement over GrPs2.dat. For water, GrPs3.dat. And for canyon, replace GrPs4.dat. Add the Steelia's texture hacks into the root, saved as GrPs1.1at, GrPs2.1at, GrPs3.1at, and GrPs4.1at
Thanks, I have added stages before, I was just thrown by there not being designated fire rock water sections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom