• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Mingo

Smash Cadet
We don't because reality.

1) We don't have the source code in the language the game was written in with comments, variables and function names. This forces us to have to reverse everything in assembly. This is hindering fast and deep advancement for modifications.
2) Finish a regular 1P Mode and watch all the names scroll by of those that contributed toward the development of Melee. There is a lot. All of which are paid professionals. They can afford to spend the massive amount of time it takes to create a game as visually stunning, fluid, and sharp as Melee because they are being paid thousands of dollars to do so. I would label this bullet point as "Time & Money" because Time = Money (not that I want it to be so, but that is just how the world works). Time towards work also equals time not spent with family. So having a regular day job and trying to "recreate" Melee in your free time would pretty much leave you with no friends/family or no finished product for probably a decade.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Also, the newest version does not replace trophy files and instead uses new files within the ISO filesystem.
*sigh*... Okay ;( guess it was just a pipe dream. Thanks for the detailed reply though. Im just trying to understand that last part you said "uses new files within the ISO filesystem." so if you are no longer overwriting already existing files (i.e Trophies) and are using and creating "new files" does that mean you have unlimited space to create these "new files" and can therefore add any amount of content you want into the game? If so, what is the extent of new content that could be potentially added? (albeit may be primitive due to being made with what we have uncovered from the reverse engineered assembly code)

Doq

Smash Lord
With the discovery of adding new files, it is possible to add anything to the filesystem... granted it doesn't exceed the size specification of a Gamecube ISO. (1.45GB)

That is... the size specification if you don't want things to break.

Last edited:

Mingo

Smash Cadet
So how much space does Melee leave us to work with, because I assume the game itself takes up the majority of that?

DRGN

Technowizard
Actually, Achilles and I don't know of a limit. Originally it was 1.36 GB (or 1.459 billion bytes, which is probably where DK got his number), but that's probably only left over from the limitation of the physical discs that were used. GCR currently can't build discs larger than that size either, but DTW will soon be able to create larger ones. The ability has been there for a while, it's just a pain without something to do it automatically/programmatically. Adding new files to the ISO has been around a while too, I think. Achilles probably just didn't want to rebuild everything that used it in 20XX until 4.0.

Last edited:

Vegerot

Smash Apprentice
Has anybody noticed CPUs V-Cancelling? I activated the V-Cancel noise to learn V-cancelling, and I noticed something strange: I occasionally hear the noise coming from CPUs. Has anybody noticed CPUs V-Cancelling? Are they actually V-cancelling, or is this a glitch?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody noticed CPUs V-Cancelling? I activated the V-Cancel noise to learn V-cancelling, and I noticed something strange: I occasionally hear the noise coming from CPUs. Has anybody noticed CPUs V-Cancelling? Are they actually V-cancelling, or is this a glitch?
Maybe they're trying to air dodge the same frame as they're attacked

Absolome

Smash Cadet
I've had this idea that v-canceling was a mechanic coded into the game to give some kind of rubberbanding to higher level AI

It would make sense since the AI are just emulating controllers and putting in a (thought to be) impossibly hard input that makes you a bit more survivable would be a good way to help the AI out

Husk

Smash Rookie
I thought that 20XX was supposed to make a new data file on your memory card, yet mine's not saving any of my settings, in the debug menu or just regular things like names.
Can anybody help me out? I'm using it on Dolphin btw

Vegerot

Smash Apprentice
I thought that 20XX was supposed to make a new data file on your memory card, yet mine's not saving any of my settings, in the debug menu or just regular things like names.
Can anybody help me out? I'm using it on Dolphin btw
Is this on a Wii? Are you using Nintendont? Is memory card emulation on?

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but both you and the other netplayer must agree to it if your on the ladder, have the same version, and use no mem.

Ataxia

Smash Rookie
What aspects of the Debug Menu will crash the game over netplay? Can you toggle off the in-match codes?

Husk

Smash Rookie
Is this on a Wii? Are you using Nintendont? Is memory card emulation on?
I'm on PC, and I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly. Every other game I have writes to the memory card except 20xx.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a suggestion: add in Win's instead of KOs at the VS Menu for stars.

Also possibly an update on the stats screen with K/D W/L SD

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a suggestion: add in Win's instead of KOs at the VS Menu for stars.

Also possibly an update on the stats screen with K/D W/L SD
isn't most of this already there lol

the CSS stars are already wins and have been for a long time

Alaric

Smash Rookie
I already have homebrew installed on my Wii and I've already installed 20xx TE on my memory card through GCMM. I want the real deal though (the 20xx hack pack), but I see on the instructions that my Wii is supposed to be 4.3U?

Does anybody know how to update an already hacked 4.1 Wii to 4.3U? If I do this, will I have to go through all the steps of installing homebrew again?

Also, I notice I need an SSBM iso. Is it fine if I just download it online or do I have to have a disk drive on my computer to read my SSBM disk?

Thanks guys :)

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't you just need to get nintendont and just install the iso using dios mios and then just load it off homebrew channel?

Alaric

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't you just need to get nintendont and just install the iso using dios mios and then just load it off homebrew channel?
I'm trying to install Nintendont. It's currently under /apps/Nintendont

I downloaded loader.dol and renamed it to boot.dol. It also has icon.png and meta.xml, all from the google drive page.

It's not showing up! :X Do you think this is because my Wii isn't 4.3? (Homebrew is updated to its latest version)

EDIT: I mean the app Nintendont isn't showing up on homebrew.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
Updates are a finicky thing and are usually hit or miss (mostly miss) and sometimes can brick your Wii. If you do update, I recommend uninstalling all homebrew applications completely before updating, then reinstalling homebrew with an exploit such as Smash Stack or Letterbomb.

In my guide I do not explicitly state that a 4.3 Wii is required, as a 4.2 Wii with the latest IOS58 should work as well; but a Wii updated to 4.3 is recommended.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...
I'm assuming your following this guide to it: Link

If so it could be that. Just to give you an idea of my setup; when I decide to use my wii instead of dolphin, I have it on 4.3U with the sd card holding project m, an 8gb usb with all the other apps including 20xx isos, and the wii with priiloader and hb channel. Naturally so long as my usb is selected to load the apps it pops up if you want screenshots of how it looks here you go...
Root of my USB
Apps Folder; Nintendont
The iso within the games folder
A proper directory to the 20xx iso made by Nintendont

If you don't get this with a similar setup and proper directories you might have to uninstall any homebrew and hacks on the wii try to save as much as you can on removable storage and then just revert to original wii version, then go to 4.3, then letterbomb.

Alaric

Smash Rookie
Hmm...
I'm assuming your following this guide to it: Link

If so it could be that. Just to give you an idea of my setup; when I decide to use my wii instead of dolphin, I have it on 4.3U with the sd card holding project m, an 8gb usb with all the other apps including 20xx isos, and the wii with priiloader and hb channel. Naturally so long as my usb is selected to load the apps it pops up if you want screenshots of how it looks here you go...
Root of my USB
Apps Folder; Nintendont
The iso within the games folder
A proper directory to the 20xx iso made by Nintendont

If you don't get this with a similar setup and proper directories you might have to uninstall any homebrew and hacks on the wii try to save as much as you can on removable storage and then just revert to original wii version, then go to 4.3, then letterbomb.
I just spent the last two hours trying to reformat my wii / uninstall all hacked applications to upate it from 4.1 to 4.3, only to realize that I have Priiloader installed. :( I turned all my settings off on Priiloader, but no matter what I do, my system just won't update from 4.1 to 4.3.

Is there any way I can update it through Bootmii or something?

Also, yeah my directories are almost identical!

ManofDapper

Smash Rookie
Is there a thread where it lists all of the features, and I mean ALL features in beta04, and how to use them? I just downloaded it, and its really cool, I just have no idea what I'm doing. Also, is it possible to run 20XX TE from 20XX Hack Pack beta 04? I read something about that earlier and if I could that would be fantastic.

D

Deleted member 269706

Is there a thread where it lists all of the features, and I mean ALL features in beta04, and how to use them? I just downloaded it, and its really cool, I just have no idea what I'm doing. Also, is it possible to run 20XX TE from 20XX Hack Pack beta 04? I read something about that earlier and if I could that would be fantastic.
This is the thread with the info dude. Honestly if you want the most features, you're better off with v3.02 for right now because it has more stuff in regards to actual practice. (Shiek will never transform into Zelda, spacies can apply shine pressure, etc.). Beta04 has a lot of new features (for custom music and new color overlays and stuff like that), but several old features have yet to return. Anyways, it is possible to run 20XXTE from beta04, you just run it the way you normally would on a vanilla ISO, just do it on the 20XX ISO. Easy as that.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Achilles and I don't know of a limit. Originally it was 1.36 GB (or 1.459 billion bytes, which is probably where DK got his number), but that's probably only left over from the limitation of the physical discs that were used. GCR currently can't build discs larger than that size either, but DTW will soon be able to create larger ones. The ability has been there for a while, it's just a pain without something to do it automatically/programmatically. Adding new files to the ISO has been around a while too, I think. Achilles probably just didn't want to rebuild everything that used it in 20XX until 4.0.
Both Nintendont and Dolphin enforce the GC disc size limit strictly, for security reasons. 1.35GiB is the most you can use because of that. However, removing videos from the ISO does free up a fair bit of space, and I'm sure 1P mode stuff could be removed if need be.

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
I've got a bug with the newest beta (04). Before, I could set rumble for individual tags in the rumble screen, but now the tags don't even show up. I know the tags are saved, they show up after restarting. Using a wii with nintendont (memory card emulation).

DRGN

Technowizard
Both Nintendont and Dolphin enforce the GC disc size limit strictly, for security reasons. 1.35GiB is the most you can use because of that.
Where did you get that info? Achilles successfully booted an ISO that was larger than normal size (close to 3 GB) on Dolphin, and console with DIOS MIOS. Would really suck if it doesn't work on Nintendont though. But who knows, maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to modify, if the source code is available.

Dinowaffles

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to have 20XX 3.02 and vanilla melee both on nintendont without sharing a save or can you only do that with 4.0 beta4?

ManofDapper

Smash Rookie
Maybe I am not doing the right thing with how I organize the save files and 20XXTE Settings, but whenever I go to Name Entry on 20XX Beta 04, it just goes to Name Entry like normal. It doesn't go to 20XXTE or crash or anything like that.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Where did you get that info? Achilles successfully booted an ISO that was larger than normal size (close to 3 GB) on Dolphin, and console with DIOS MIOS. Would really suck if it doesn't work on Nintendont though. But who knows, maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to modify, if the source code is available.
The Nintendont info came from the official GBAtemp thread. For Dolphin, I remember reading a commit message that said so, but my search through the codebase was fruitless. It may have been around 4.0-3000 or later.

EDIT: I looked a little more through the Dolphin codebase, and I found that the size of Wii TMDs are limited. That's probably what I was thinking of.
However, I did come across a note in the Audio Streaming code that mentions it breaks if a GC image is bigger than 4GiB. So any bigger than 1.35GiB breaks Nintendont, and >4GiB breaks FAT32 (DIOS MIOS) and some stuff in Dolphin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 337186

Maybe I am not doing the right thing with how I organize the save files and 20XXTE Settings, but whenever I go to Name Entry on 20XX Beta 04, it just goes to Name Entry like normal. It doesn't go to 20XXTE or crash or anything like that.
you cannot load 20xxte from 20xx hack pack. I don't know the exact details, but im pretty sure it has to do with the seperate save files that 20xxte and 20xx hack pack 4.0 beta04 have.

Top Bottom