• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Drugfreechu

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to set defaults in the debug menu? For example, if I wanted the results screen to actually show as the default, would I be able to do that?

MissingNo.

Smash Cadet
Can anyone help? I followed all of the instructions but when I go to DIOSMIOS lite and boot up the iso - it just shows DIOSMIOS flashing back and forth in black and white and never opens anything. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Just tried again and this time it just booted me back to the home screen. No clue what the problem is.

Last edited:

Firejew

Smash Cadet
Can anyone help? I followed all of the instructions but when I go to DIOSMIOS lite and boot up the iso - it just shows DIOSMIOS flashing back and forth in black and white and never opens anything. Anyone know where I went wrong?
It may be the device you're using to load the iso.
Which instructions did you use?
What device are you using to load it?
USB/SD?
Maybe even send me a PM so we don't **** up this thread more as it's already a pain to navigate.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So is there 100% random DI?
Yes. As is the case with most computer based random functions, it's probably not "100% random", but for all intents and purposes, yes it is. Teching as well.

Just tried again and this time it just booted me back to the home screen. No clue what the problem is.
Like Firejew said, we'll need some more info to diagnose the source of the problem. Make sure you installed IOS 236 and are using the latest version of Dios Mios. And make sure you are using Dios Mios Lite if you are booting off an SD Card and just regular Dios Mios if booting from USB.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I remember seeing something about this earlier, but now that we have PAL character toggles, is there any chance at getting SD Remix characters? Anyway, for now is there a thread where I can get all the dat files for the PAL characters and manually change them?

(Also this is my 200th post. Yay!)

Last edited:

MissingNo.

Smash Cadet
Yes. As is the case with most computer based random functions, it's probably not "100% random", but for all intents and purposes, yes it is. Teching as well.

Like Firejew said, we'll need some more info to diagnose the source of the problem. Make sure you installed IOS 236 and are using the latest version of Dios Mios. And make sure you are using Dios Mios Lite if you are booting off an SD Card and just regular Dios Mios if booting from USB.
I followed these instructions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/26pw3q/tutorial_usb_loading_20xx_melee_hack_pack_on_wii/

I am loading through an SD card. How do I double check that I am loading off Dios Mios Lite, and what can I do to reinstall if I am not?

Firejew

Smash Cadet
I am loading through an SD card. How do I double check that I am loading off Dios Mios Lite, and what can I do to reinstall if I am not?
If you still have the .WAD file on your SD card, the filename will tell you. DML = Lite, DM = regular. Installing Dios Mios overwrites MIOS on the Wii itself, to change MIOS versions simply reinstall the .WAD file you want, no uninstalling is needed.

From the guide, it looks like you have everything set up correctly. What USB device are you using to play games off of? Is the USB device formatted with 32kb (or smaller) clusters?

Some USB devices simply cannot boot games using Dios Mios due to some magic in the realm of how USB controllers interpret instructions (really I have no idea lol). For example: my 1TB WD My Passport Ultra can boot Wii games and not GC games, while my 32GB Sandisk Cruzer can do both. There's a fancy chart here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Dios_Mios_HDD_Compatibility_List that you should contribute to when you figure out if your stuff works.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I followed these instructions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/26pw3q/tutorial_usb_loading_20xx_melee_hack_pack_on_wii/

Idk how to check, but just try reinstalling it.
wad.zip that includes Dios Mios Lite 2.10.

I remember seeing something about this earlier, but now that we have PAL character toggles, is there any chance at getting SD Remix characters? Anyway, for now is there a thread where I can get all the dat files for the PAL characters and manually change them?
SD Remix - yes, it's possible. But not possible until someone ports those chars to 1.02.

PAL Chars.zip (except with NTSC Kirby, don't change him). This was from Sham Rock.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I have now tried it with the game loaded to an SD card using Dios Mios Lite, and also loaded to a USB using Dios Mios. Both just kick me back to the Wii Menu after a few seconds. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Try reinstalling IOS 236 using this guide. Don't worry about doing it from a wad. Just make sure your internet is connected to the internet and "Download from NUS".

MissingNo.

Smash Cadet
Thanks achilles!! I basically just did everything over and it worked this time for some reason.

Just checking, was there a feature where you could display your hitboxes in game?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
How does the mod handle random DI? Are you making it so that the degree of input is random, or are you taking only viable inputs (by that I mean that it counts the cardinal directions and the 17 degrees on each side of them as one possible input)?

Also, would you be able to write a code that would only accept certain DI's based upon the trajectory? I would imagine if you could narrow down the random to DI that is more common then one could get better practice. As it is currently, while it might be a true random, it definitely feels as if it favours certain values. I haven't done testing on this, however.

The way I imagined it is best explained by giving an example (and if it is unclear I might make an image later).

For Marth's upthrow the trajectory is straight up. So if the random DI code could detect the trajectory, and then randomly select between these angles: LEFT, 17.1 degrees above left, Diagonal Left, 17.1 degrees to the right of up, UP, 17.1 degrees to the right of up, Diagonal Right, 17.1 degrees to the left of right, and RIGHT. Those degrees seem oddly specific, but that is the first input that is not counted as a cardinal direction, and are generally ideal in a lot of cases. Those DI should cover enough variance to be amazing practice, and perhaps it would feel more "random".

Achilles1515

Smash Master
How does the mod handle random DI? Are you making it so that the degree of input is random, or are you taking only viable inputs (by that I mean that it counts the cardinal directions and the 17 degrees on each side of them as one possible input)?

Also, would you be able to write a code that would only accept certain DI's based upon the trajectory? I would imagine if you could narrow down the random to DI that is more common then one could get better practice. As it is currently, while it might be a true random, it definitely feels as if it favours certain values. I haven't done testing on this, however.

The way I imagined it is best explained by giving an example (and if it is unclear I might make an image later).

For Marth's upthrow the trajectory is straight up. So if the random DI code could detect the trajectory, and then randomly select between these angles: LEFT, 17.1 degrees above left, Diagonal Left, 17.1 degrees to the right of up, UP, 17.1 degrees to the right of up, Diagonal Right, 17.1 degrees to the left of right, and RIGHT. Those degrees seem oddly specific, but that is the first input that is not counted as a cardinal direction, and are generally ideal in a lot of cases. Those DI should cover enough variance to be amazing practice, and perhaps it would feel more "random".
I'm in a car right now, and don't feel like explaining the whole thing on mobile. But basically, there's a memory address that is "random" and changes every frame of the game. When I want to "randomly" DI, I pull 16-bits from that address and copy it into the joystick input.

I've explained it more in a prior post in here somewhere if you want to try searching for it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm in a car right now, and don't feel like explaining the whole thing on mobile. But basically, there's a memory address that is "random" and changes every frame of the game. When I want to "randomly" DI, I pull 16-bits from that address and copy it into the joystick input.
Ah, ok. So basically that explains why things don't feel so random. It's basically giving a truly random input, but since the game takes 36 degrees worth of inputs for each cardinal direction there is a MUCH higher chance that the DI will work on a cardinal direction. To put that into perspective, there is a 1 in 3650 chance that it will land at 17.1 degrees, but almost a one in 10 chance that it will land on a cardinal direction.

I also mentioned this before, but after a certain point the DI stops being random and simply doesn't DI at all. Usually in a long combo string. I have no idea why it does this, and honestly I haven't updated the hack in like 4 months so this might have been fixed. If not, then something at that memory address will stop working at some point.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
For throws, though, I made it choose between random di, hard DI left, or hard DI right.

And if the "random" joystick value used is not a normally possible input to achieve that the game reads, it just doesn't DI at all (I think...).

I know that the stop DI'ing problem existed in the earlier versions, but this should have been fixed if you have the newest one.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For throws, though, I made it choose between random di, hard DI left, or hard DI right.
I'm trying to make sure I understand this right. It first makes a random choice between random, hard left, and hard right. So it has a 1/3 chance to be a random input, which in turn has roughly a 1/10 chance of being cardinal. Is that more or less right?

And if the "random" joystick value used is not a normally possible input to achieve that the game reads, it just doesn't DI at all (I think...).
Isn't that how the game normally handles it? Such as DI'ing in the opposite direction results in no DI? I'm not sure of the details myself either. In general though, one of the vectors will likely yield some sort of DI I would imagine, it'd just be very weak? Honestly my understanding is clearly lacking here.

I know that the stop DI'ing problem existed in the earlier versions, but this should have been fixed if you have the newest one.
Ah, sweet. I really need to update then. Is it the one linked on the main page or have you been posting small updates within the thread? (Sorry for the n00b question here)

-------------------------------

Would it be possible to change the DI to more like what I mentioned though? I don't think it's important to have every single DI option if you cover a solid range of "viable" DI, which is more of what you would expect from an opponent to pick from.

Since I have no idea of how to do ASM yet, I'll just do some basic pseudo code to get communicate something more ideal:

Read Trajectory Input on first frame
Determine viable input range*
Narrow down DI choices**
Randomly select from the most relevant angles as the DI
Input the selected DI on the next frame

* - I'm thinking this can be accomplished by taking the trajectory and subtract 90 degrees to get one value, and add 90 to the other one.

** - There are 18 inputs that are the most important to cover. These include the 4 cardinal directions, the 4 diagonals, the 8 angles that exist at +17.1 degrees and -17.1 degrees from the cardinals, and the minimum and maximum degrees in your range (aka the exact perpendicular angles). If you only have it randomly select from these values within the previous range then you would yield the most important/relevant DI angles. If I was coding this in C# it'd be easy to determine these, but I have no idea how to do this within the framework of ASM as I doubt you can create a set of constants and the like. I'm not even sure this is possible.

EDIT: How awesome would it be if we somehow had melee's source code?

EDIT 2: I realised having the min/max angles of the range were also important angles to consider. I've bolded the changed section so that you can easily see the edit if you have already read it before this change was made.

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I worked on the random teching and DI code too (Achilles did more and did things a little differently). I wanted to do more like what you describe, but I could never identify the launch trajectory. I don't know if Achilles could ever find it, but that is obviously vital to making it work.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Perhaps then you could just have a random between the 16 more relevant DI angles as a simplification?

Also, achiles mentions that if a DI isn't valid it is treated as no DI, would it be possible to have it randomize until a DI is valid instead? Come to think of it, that would be a much simpler way of doing it. The only problem is that it would exclude the true perpendicular angles, which would be a shame.

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Could you explain how to add more alternate costume slots? I want to put some texture hacks in some character but I also want to keep the original ones.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Just a heads up, you have load state and infinite shield in the wrong spots on the infographic.
Yeah it's old.

More R&D results:

Link/Y. Link Boomerang Superjump (1.02) [Achilles]
040EC01C 41800018

EDIT: Don't use this code. It has negative side effects. A newer one is posted in the Gecko Codes Stickied thread.

Last edited:
Thank you Achilles, one of the visable modifications I like most is how marth's blade swing color changes depending on the skin your using. I was wondering if you could put in the option for other characters as well like with Captain Falcon's fire( FALCON PUNCH as and example) and or with Fox and Falco shines.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Thank you Achilles, one of the visable modifications I like most is how marth's blade swing color changes depending on the skin your using. I was wondering if you could put in the option for other characters as well like with Captain Falcon's fire( FALCON PUNCH as and example) and or with Fox and Falco shines.
Fox and Falco's shine is an effect. While it's possible to change the color, you cannot make the shine costume dependent or character dependent.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright lets get down to business what the people need is a "#" character for tags. That is all.
In there, yo.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...2-action-toggles.351221/page-37#post-17229383

Fox and Falco's shine is an effect. While it's possible to change the color, you cannot make the shine costume dependent or character dependent.
It would be possible to make it costume dependent. It's justs a lot of color information. I might look into it soon, idk.

Last edited:

Aviziel

Smash Rookie
So, I got an install finally, but I think something might have gone wrong. On the CSS, if I try to toggle alternate stages, I get a freeze.

There's also some garbled text in random spots, and I can't enter long tags? I'm not sure what info I need to supply, so I'll wait for a response before I list a bunch of useless nonsense.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I was under the impression that the sword effect was located in the PlMsXx.dat files while the shine effect was located in one file, EfFxData.dat.
No. It is located in PlMs.dat.

When Marth is loaded in a match, data from his PlMs.dat file gets loaded into the RAM. When the data offset info for a specific Marth player is being built, it loads his sword swing color from the RAM address and places it into his personal data offset**. And that data offset address value is used for the swing color for that specific player.

**this is where I inject my code to modify the sword swing color. Instead of just placing the normal blue swing in there, I have it check the costume ID and then place a different color in the data offset if need be.

You could also do something cool like having random sword swing colors and have the color address in the data offset change every frame or so. (if I copied the Rainbow FD code to apply to Marth's sword swing, for example).

A similar thing could be done with shine, except for the fact that the shine color info is not stored in a spacie's player offset (I guess because it is a "common" effect, or shared or whatever). So if you have a fox and a falco playing on screen, the shine info will only be at one location in the RAM, and this is referenced for all spacies on screen. Changing the shine effect to a different color (probably while it is being loaded into the RAM) likely wouldn't be a problem, but because of the fact that it's info is shared, making it costume dependent for multiple spacies at one time would be....challenging.

Top Bottom