• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 20 Costume Project [27/41] **UPDATE - Pikachu Completed

PhoenixLuzhin

Smash Rookie
Wow, it's been so long that I've forgotten my login information or which email I used to to make my account.

So, I figured I'd update everyone on the issues that I've been having with this code (and how i've fixed them so far).

Brawl allocates roughly 3.9 MB of memory for sc_selcharacter.pac, which houses all of the portraits. To address this problem, I created codes that expand MenuResource memory and add memory to the resource pool without affecting wifi data (to my knowledge). I was able to increase the uncompressed size of sc_selcharacter.pac to about 8.9 MB, but this method ONLY works on Dolphin (or theoretically, dev hardware, but most people don't have access to that).

The only other solution, then, would be to load the portraits externally. PhantomWings did this a while ago in his BrawlEX Roster Expansion, but his external loading method clogged the game's loading buffer, thus causing an absurd amount of lag.

My method does the following:

• Fixes a bug that causes the game to load the portrait file every single time a costume is changed.
  • Changes the loading routine entirely so that the buffer thread doesn't get clogged up, thus fixing the lag
  • Should allow for 20 portraits per character (in CMPR format for now)
  • Allows for portraits for any number of BEX clones
However, there is one bug that may be unavoidable for now. Because of the way that loading requests work in Brawl, I had to code in a failsafe for if a portrait doesn't exist, a situation that one encounters pretty much every time the game returns to the CSS. Currently, whenever you return to the CSS after a match, the game will display each player's default portrait.

KuroKairaku

Smash Cadet
Wow, it's been so long that I've forgotten my login information or which email I used to to make my account.

way that loading requests work in Brawl, I had to code in a failsafe for if a portrait doesn't exist, a situation that one encounters pretty much every time the game returns to the CSS. Currently, whenever you return to the CSS after a match, the game will display each player's default portrait.
Does that mean that the costume that would then be loaded, be the default portrait (which I presume you mean the first in the line, like mario's regular costume for example) is actuality also the pac it loads? Do you also have a potential solution to it?

PhoenixLuzhin

Smash Rookie
Does that mean that the costume that would then be loaded, be the default portrait (which I presume you mean the first in the line, like mario's regular costume for example) is actuality also the pac it loads? Do you also have a potential solution to it?
nah, what I mean by this is that the portrait brres loaded from the SD card (the MenSelchrFaceXXX brres that you use on the Results Screen) takes enough time to load that, often, the game doesn't have enough time to load the file before the portrait would need to appear. So, in order to fix the crash that would ensue, I made it so that the game would load the default portrait if the brres hadn't loaded yet. Switching back and forth between costumes fixes the issue

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Will you still be updating the pictures for this project on this site, Star? Here is where I first heard of this project and thus became interested in i. I feel that more people may want to get this build if you continue on showing your progress here plus Twitter.

The funky alts for DK look cool but the CSPS look a little creepy with those eyes and pose. Just my opinion though.
I don't know what you could do to make it better. No good DK Funky cosplay poses come to my mind.

Also, I like pink DK punch-out.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Will you still be updating the pictures for this project on this site, Star? Here is where I first heard of this project and thus became interested in i. I feel that more people may want to get this build if you continue on showing your progress here plus Twitter.

The funky alts for DK look cool but the CSPS look a little creepy with those eyes and pose. Just my opinion though.
I don't know what you could do to make it better. No good DK Funky cosplay poses come to my mind.

Also, I like pink DK punch-out.
I have already said multiple times that I am staying with Brawl/PM csps. One of my goals for this project is that it is supposed to be a seamless expansion to default pm and not a full blown build.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I think when he says "updating the pictures," he's asking if you'll still post your progress/finished results in this thread, not if you're going to give everyone new CSPs.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I think when he says "updating the pictures," he's asking if you'll still post your progress/finished results in this thread, not if you're going to give everyone new CSPs.
Thanks for the clarification, I'll see what I can do though I personally think the Funky Clothes look fine.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
nah, what I mean by this is that the portrait brres loaded from the SD card (the MenSelchrFaceXXX brres that you use on the Results Screen) takes enough time to load that, often, the game doesn't have enough time to load the file before the portrait would need to appear. So, in order to fix the crash that would ensue, I made it so that the game would load the default portrait if the brres hadn't loaded yet. Switching back and forth between costumes fixes the issue
So if I was on, say, Maker Mario, at the results screen, it would switch to regular Mario instead as a failsafe, and all I'd have to do at CSS is switch back? That...actually doesn't sound so bad, if that's the only issue you're having.

Or is there more to it than that?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
So if I was on, say, Maker Mario, at the results screen, it would switch to regular Mario instead as a failsafe, and all I'd have to do at CSS is switch back? That...actually doesn't sound so bad, if that's the only issue you're having.

Or is there more to it than that?
From my understanding it doesn't actually swap what costume you've selected, it just displays the default portrait.

Say you've selected costume 17 and the game returns to the CSS, it'll display the default costume but once you hit X to scroll to the next costume it'll display the portrait for costume 18, then you can scroll back to 17.

I'm pretty sure you can just leave it on the default portrait and it'll still load costume 17.

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure it doesn't actually swap what costume you've selected, it just displays the default portrait.

Say you've selected costume 17 and the game returns to the CSS, it'll display the default costume but once you hit X to scroll to the next costume it'll display the portrait for costume 18, then you can scroll back to 17.

I'm pretty sure you can just leave it on the default portrait and it'll still load costume 17.
That's a glitch I'm willing to deal with if that is how it works.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
From my understanding it doesn't actually swap what costume you've selected, it just displays the default portrait.

Oh. That's...yeah, that's actually not all that bad. Polished? Not completely, but it sounds more or less completely functional.

Assuming there's more to it than that PhoenixLuzhin PhoenixLuzhin , but even so. Pretty close.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Oh. That's...yeah, that's actually not all that bad. Polished? Not completely, but it sounds more or less completely functional.

Assuming there's more to it than that PhoenixLuzhin PhoenixLuzhin , but even so. Pretty close.
It's not ideal, I'm not fully satisfied with this compromise either but it has to happen if the code is to work correctly in its current inception. I appreciate all the hard work Pyotr has put in and he has undoubtably gone out of his way to ensure a crash free code.

Hopefully there will be a cleaner solution sometime in the future.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
It's not ideal, I'm not fully satisfied with this compromise either but it has to happen if the code is to work correctly in its current inception. I appreciate all the hard work Pyotr has put in and he has undoubtably gone out of his way to ensure a crash free code.

Hopefully there will be a cleaner solution sometime in the future.
What if instead of loading a default CSP, it loaded a copy of the last RSP? The game would already have the current one loaded from the results screen.

That probably isn't possible, but it's just an idea

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
What if instead of loading a default CSP, it loaded a copy of the last RSP? The game would already have the current one loaded from the results screen.

That probably isn't possible, but it's just an idea
That's the thing, CSPs 11-20 load from said RSP file, and that takes longer to load as it unloads it after progressing from the results screen only to load it again.

The reason it's able to load the default portrait is because it's from sc_character.pac which is loaded in order to initialise the menu.

The only thing I could think of is to delay the menu from loading until all the RSP files have loaded but I don't know the feasibility of that method as I'm not a coder.

KuroKairaku

Smash Cadet
So there is no real solution to it? No way you can somehow cache the loading in the background so when you come back it reloads specifically what was cached? It doesn't sound bad at all, especially if you can immediately go back in and still techically have the costume you chose before the glitch happened, but just curious on how unfixable it is. Workaround or not.

PhoenixLuzhin

Smash Rookie
So there is no real solution to it? No way you can somehow cache the loading in the background so when you come back it reloads specifically what was cached? It doesn't sound bad at all, especially if you can immediately go back in and still techically have the costume you chose before the glitch happened, but just curious on how unfixable it is. Workaround or not.
i'm looking into a way to hook a load check into the ButtonProc function, but i'm not sure which frame (the loading frame or the button check frame) comes first ATM

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when I said "pictures" I meant displaying the progress of the build Star, not
about the csps looking bad. I think the csps look great honestly, except for Funky of course.
But that might just be me.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Hey Star, nice work man. Still looking forward to the completion of this project.

I left some feedback on reddit a little while ago and I still stand by what I mentioned before.

A handful of the recolors look rather over saturated and don't seem to mesh with the original color style of brawl/pm.

An example of this would be the beta knight recolors. It is partially the highly saturated colors, but another major part is that they are entirely one uniform color, like the green costume looks like beta knight was entirely dipped in green paint. The original beta knight costume differs by having different shades of red for the mask, wings, and shoes, and, more importantly, breaks up the red by having gold gloves.

I think a few of the recolors could be improved greatly by doing some similar minor tweaks. Add variations to the shade of the primary color for different parts of the costume, and add some sort of secondary color to break up the monotony.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Hey Star, nice work man. Still looking forward to the completion of this project.

I left some feedback on reddit a little while ago and I still stand by what I mentioned before.

A handful of the recolors look rather over saturated and don't seem to mesh with the original color style of brawl/pm.
Unless Star made screenshots that I have yet to see, it could just be the CSP's, they've always looked a bit brighter than in-game, even the Brawl ones, all that considering Star's limited to photoshopping CSP's rather than re-renders (for a few that is)

An example of this would be the beta knight recolors. It is partially the highly saturated colors, but another major part is that they are entirely one uniform color, like the green costume looks like beta knight was entirely dipped in green paint. The original beta knight costume differs by having different shades of red for the mask, wings, and shoes, and, more importantly, breaks up the red by having gold gloves.

I think a few of the recolors could be improved greatly by doing some similar minor tweaks. Add variations to the shade of the primary color for different parts of the costume, and add some sort of secondary color to break up the monotony.
PREACH IT, BROTHAH.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow

In terms of saturation, all the Beta Knight costumes are at the same level of saturation of the default costume, if you see differences in that level of brightness/saturation it's likely due to the CSP, Beta Knight in general is quite saturated compared to most other Brawl/PM costumes and I'm following the lead it set. I do agree with you in regards to the gloves.

I take a great degree of care to test and compare costumes ingame to make sure they aren't neon anime fighters colours so I can guarantee for the most part the discrepancies you see in my design style can be attributed to the CSPs being made for me by another person. PM and Brawl have these problems too with the CSP not reflecting the true colours with the most notable example being Sonic's yellow colour.

I appreciate the feedback however, I will be giving everything a final revisit as I implement and test everything as to ensure no mistakes or ugly design decisions are missed.
Is there an alpha build I missed, or is this not ready yet?
Even I don't have the code yet man. Still a while to go.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Stay tuned everyone because the next three updates should be:

- A reveal of 5 characters in one post
- A complete rework of Zero Suit Samus' set to work in with Samus' set, which I will post at the same time
- A rework of Snake's set to accommodate a new alternate costume

I'm uncertain which order these three reveals will occur in but make sure you check back on the thread as much as you can to find out! The goal for a 2016 release is looking bleak right now with my free time becoming more scarce and the code still in development so I have decided to take a little more applied look at the project and will be taking my time towards the end to double and triple check everything before the final release, which should be early in the new year.

Pyotr taking extra time to iron out all the bugs only strengthens the stability of this revolutionary code to begin with so it's great that he has maintained motivation for his side of the project as mine as dwindled pretty low along the way. This extra time has given us more room to perfect and tweak our respective parts so please be patient.

My goal right now at least is to have at least 35 characters done by Christmas, let's hope I can meet that! :)

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Definitely will be worth the wait. Thanks for the update, Star ☆ Star ☆ , I was scared this thread was dead for a moment.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Since you're glossing over everything to make sure there are no errors by the end of this, I just wanted to point out that Falcon's costume #17 (Green SNES Alt) stock icon doesn't really imply that it's a green outfit or team color, unlike everyone else's team color stock icons

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Since you're glossing over everything to make sure there are no errors by the end of this, I just wanted to point out that Falcon's costume #17 (Green SNES Alt) stock icon doesn't really imply that it's a green outfit or team color, unlike everyone else's team color stock icons
Falcon's default red team colour has a purple stock icon, so it's incorrect to claim that all the rest reflect the team colour. It was like this in brawl as well.

I understand the concern tho and I agree. It will be fixed.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
As much as I respect the amount of work you've put into this, as well as the rules you decided for it and all that, you should drop Ganon's extra 5 Brawl recolours and give him a fourth costume

HWcsps_C00.png

but seriously tho why does ganon get the best costumes

KuroKairaku

Smash Cadet
As much as I respect the amount of work you've put into this, as well as the rules you decided for it and all that, you should drop Ganon's extra 5 Brawl recolours and give him a fourth costume

View attachment 121876

but seriously tho why does ganon get the best costumes
No love for the cosmetics I did :p ?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/197799501639974912/254399471616524288/CSP.png

Though I already used upy my ganon epicness with the original pose I did long ago for Legacy. If it wasnt for his epic gauntlets, he was going to get some similar pose done, but so much clipping happened with just doing that. I am sure I could of made it work if I tired...

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/197799501639974912/254399471616524288/CSP.png

Though I already used upy my ganon epicness with the original pose I did long ago for Legacy. If it wasnt for his epic gauntlets, he was going to get some similar pose done, but so much clipping happened with just doing that. I am sure I could of made it work if I tired...
I mean as nice as they are and all they're like "here look at this sword that I don't actually use in any efficient way"

Also on a more personal level I lack the knowhow on how to mod the sword to specific costumes

KuroKairaku

Smash Cadet

never thought of it that way. I was trying to make the pose sorta compatible with the mods like the twilight ganon mod or project ganondorf. Plus PM Ganondorf uses it has is insane taunt kill that rivals bowsers fully charged forward smash.

Its really only not that useful if your on vanilla brawl though. Thats where jaystring's comes in. I just thought that HW ganondorf had such a unique crest desgin on his armor. The standard pose I had with ganondorf crossing his arms as in Legacy and LegacyXP was awesome, but with such huge gauntlets it covered his body quite alot.

I still have the pose, here, check it:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/137319925982167041/251506665772285952/Ganondorf.png

It is slightly edited from his floating one, but I wanted to try to make it unique. Where then i was about to go concept style but jaystring wen tstandard concept, So I instead decided to go the next concept art as well, with his trident. I simply replaced it with his sword instead.

Last edited:

ArchduchessApricot

Smash Rookie
Are you taking recommendations/help for locating good alternate costumes? I'd love to help and a have found a good amount of skins that could qualify.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
It saddens me to explain this but I've had some major IRL responsibilities and hiccups in the last 3 or 4 weeks so there has been next to no progress on this project since my last update. I have several unrevealed characters that are completed but I am not going to present them until I have some other things completed.

The goal of 35 characters by Christmas is obviously not happening, I may get some things done next week after Christmas but don't expect any major posts until the new year. I've been quite busy with other aspects of my life and the code hasn't progressed much either so motivation is still the same as it has ever been.

I've come very far in the 8 months I've worked on this project; never fear, this project will not die but the release will be further away than we may have predicted. Stay tuned to my twitter and this thread for more updates.

For those that have provided suggestions or offered to help feel free to PM me on Discord via the Custom Smash server with your ideas: https://discord.gg/Fx3a8GM

Last edited:

Moe (Mac Cornik)

Smash Rookie
Star ☆ Star ☆ what a big problem, I have thinking some costumes for the unrevealed characters (but we need some peoples to help on the import and model edit)

Samus and ZSS: Retro Suit Samus and Justin Bailey as the 1st alt costume and Fusion Suit as the 2nd alt
Fox and Falco: Their Assault appereance would fit better
Pikachu: Pikachu Libre would work as a 2nd alt
Bowser: His Skylander appereance probably can fit (I guess there's more better alts for Bowser)
Squirtle: Shades on... probably not gonna work
Ivysaur: A mage costume and a synthetic costume
Diddy Kong: A DK Jr. probably work or not
King Dedede: His Quickdraw appereance (the Western style done by TOCK)
Jigglypuff: El Globo costume would work as one of the alt costumes
ROB: Virtual Boy ROB and Wii ROB recolors are the fastest way to done
Wario: If you're gonna use his classic appereance, you should remove 1 color of the Biker one (orange or black), his 2nd alt costume probably can be Dr. Wario or some costume used on Wario: Master of Disguise

No idea for Olimar

Well, that was all I had though

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Star ☆ Star ☆ what a big problem, I have thinking some costumes for the unrevealed characters (but we need some peoples to help on the import and model edit)

Samus and ZSS: Retro Suit Samus and Justin Bailey as the 1st alt costume and Fusion Suit as the 2nd alt
Bowser: His Skylander appereance probably can fit (I guess there's more better alts for Bowser)
Wario: If you're gonna use his classic appereance, you should remove 1 color of the Biker one (orange or black), his 2nd alt costume probably can be Dr. Wario or some costume used on Wario: Master of Disguise

No idea for Olimar

There aren't really many issues regarding choices for costumes, as you and I have discussed all these ideas before. It is mainly an issue of time for me as I have been very busy doing other things. Things will be back on track soon.

Obskore

Smash Ace

No idea for Olimar

in PM, squirtle can put hsi shades on with a secret taunt

Top Bottom