• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 20 Costume Project [27/41] **UPDATE - Pikachu Completed

Omniv

Smash Rookie
Great costumes. I have an idea for Pikachu; all the cosplay pikachu outfits. I don't mind if it's too much to do, but at least wrestler pikachu perhaps?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Team recolor suggestion:

Might want to edit Shadow Queen Peach and Gi Lucario a little bit. The fur and gi combos could get a little confusing, but I don't think nearly as confusing as red-team Shadow Queen Peach might get. I know a red iteration exists, why not just replace the 4th one (dark purple) with the red one?
I don't understand how Red Shadow Queen is confusing (Default is currently Red Team) when you can only play as that colour and the green/blue Shadow Queen colours in teams, her default Red Shadow queen is similar to the dark purple one, yes, but that one isn't available in teams so I'm not sure why you would have confusion problems. Default is red team so she can have access to another colour in singles.

As for Lucario, this is probably just a preference thing. I feel like both the green and blue team colors could get pretty confusing, given that green team has a blue gi and red team has a green. For some reason I don't see the original PMDT gi as possibly confusing, but those other two seem like they could use some tweaking.
This was a topic of discussion between myself and my co-workers and I we decided to base it off the Gi in the end. When I start play testing soon when the code is near completion I'll find out with some friends if it is confusing as you seem to think it will be.

Luigi too, this one is super nitpicky, but why not just make his last classic recolor into a dark blue instead of giving him another light blue?
Funnily enough, this colour is actually a lot closer to grey/black than blue. I tested it ingame again recently and the CSP doesn't reflect it's true colours. I'll edit it soon.

Are the Wolf ones done?
Yep Wolf is done. He actually got a render update on his Melee Wolf Costume, check it out in the OP.

Great costumes. I have an idea for Pikachu; all the cosplay pikachu outfits. I don't mind if it's too much to do, but at least wrestler pikachu perhaps?
Wrestler Pikachu is in. :)

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand how Red Shadow Queen is confusing (Default is currently Red Team) when you can only play as that colour and the green/blue Shadow Queen colours in teams, her default Red Shadow queen is similar to the dark purple one, yes, but that one isn't available in teams so I'm not sure why you would have confusion problems. Default is red team so she can have access to another colour in singles.
There's still the possibility of both the red and purple costumes being used together when teams are turned off. (Like say in some rare happenstance that both of them appear when Random is selected or something.) But it's not so much being confusing to people rather than you just have two costumes that look similar to each other and could use more variety.

It's like how Sonic and Lucario's costumes in vanilla Brawl and Smash 4 are all just different shades of blue. Those are distinct enough that you can tell them apart during gameplay but they're visually lacking which I assume is why the PMDT came up with new alternate color schemes for them. That's probably not the best example but I hope you get what I mean.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
There's still the possibility of both the red and purple costumes being used together when teams are turned off. (Like say in some rare happenstance that both of them appear when Random is selected or something.) But it's not so much being confusing to people rather than you just have two costumes that look similar to each other and could use more variety.

It's like how Sonic and Lucario's costumes in vanilla Brawl and Smash 4 are all just different shades of blue. Those are distinct enough that you can tell them apart during gameplay but they're visually lacking which I assume is why the PMDT came up with new alternate color schemes for them. That's probably not the best example but I hope you get what I mean.
The colours aren't similar to the extent of the Sonic/Lucario colours in Brawl and Smash 4, it's more similar to say Marth/Falcon Defaults and Blue Team, where they are similar shades but have different hues.

It's purple and the CSP may not directly reflect its true colours. I hope you can trust me on this regard and wait it out until you get to try them out ingame then you can formulate a more informed opinion on it.

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Looking over the list that's left, I can kind of see where the grind starts coming in. Besides maybe, what, just Squirtle with ninja recolors? Most other characters would require some serious rending time, mostly because they either have just one or possibly zero costumes that are obvious to work with.

Maybe I missed something in the thread, but do you think there's a chance this project is going to bring costume designers out of the woodworks to help you have options for 10|5|5 or 10|10 when you need them? Because I could be wrong, but there's a couple characters that might need that to even get 10|5.

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
Looking over the list that's left, I can kind of see where the grind starts coming in. Besides maybe, what, just Squirtle with ninja recolors? Most other characters would require some serious rending time, mostly because they either have just one or possibly zero costumes that are obvious to work with.

Maybe I missed something in the thread, but do you think there's a chance this project is going to bring costume designers out of the woodworks to help you have options for 10|5|5 or 10|10 when you need them? Because I could be wrong, but there's a couple characters that might need that to even get 10|5.
It is stated that more recolors would be created for those who lack 10 skins for default or 10|10/10|5|5 costumes.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Just got an idea for Bowser. The third costume could be miniature Giga Bowser. I honestly like that idea more than Rookie being it. It seems like Rookie would not be a significant enough difference model wise to be the third costume.

Just an idea.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Any progress on the alt for the 20 costume project I still havent seen yet?
Progress is very, very slow right now. I now have a full time job and my motivation is in the pits while Pyotr is away, though he recently got back so hopefully the code will be finished soon.

An updated Snake pack and a certain angel's set will be out soon.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Pit is completed!

Costume No.|Costume Na.|Made By|Recoloured By|Description
1|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Pit's Default Costume
2|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
3 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|PMDT|Original Design
4 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|Star|Original Design
5 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
6|Brawl Design|N/A|ShinF, Star|Original Design
7|Brawl Design|N/A|Luigiturd, Star|Original Design
8|Brawl Design|N/A|Star|Based on the Knights of Pluto
9|Brawl Design|N/A|Shun_One, Star|Original Design
10|Brawl Design|N/A|Apples, Star|Original Design
11|Dark Pit|N/A|PMDT, Skeleton11223|Dark Pit Default Costume
12 [RED] |Dark Pit|N/A|PMDT, Skeleton11223, Star|Original Design
13 [GREEN] |Dark Pit|N/A|PMDT, Skeleton11223, Star|Original Design
14 [BLUE] |Dark Pit|N/A|PMDT, Skeleton11223, Star|Original Design
15|Dark Pit|N/A|PMDT, Skeleton11223, Star|Original Design
16|Classic Design|Pik|N/A|Classic Design Default Costume
17 [RED] |Classic Design|Pik|Minus Team|Original Design
18 [GREEN] |Classic Design|Pik|Minus Team|Original Design
19 [BLUE] |Classic Design|Pik|Minus Team, Star|Original Design
20|Classic Design|Pik|N/A|Based on Dark Pit
Thanks to davidvkimball for the renders of Dark Pit!

Like Peach, Pit's first alternate costume is an expanded set of an existing default recolour, albeit with a few tweaks to be closer to Dark Pit's design and differentiate from normal Pit. As I get closer to the end of this project, there will be a few more characters that will follow similar paths.

I have also gone through the list and altered some existing sets with nicer renders, more accurate CSPs and some lower quality or non suitable colours have been changed. An updated Snake set will be coming soon as well. Hope you guys enjoy this!

Last edited:

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
Pit is completed!

Like Peach, Pit's first alternate costume is an expanded set of an existing default recolour, albeit with a few tweaks to be closer to Dark Pit's design and differentiate from normal Pit. As I get closer to the end of this project, there will be a few more characters that will follow similar paths.

I have also gone through the list and altered some existing sets with nicer renders, more accurate CSPs and some lower quality or non suitable colours have been changed. An updated Snake set will be coming soon as well. Hope you guys enjoy this!
Dark Pit has his silver bow and purple shield (including Retro costume), right?

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
Pit is completed!

I'm excited to see this project is still going on. Over halfway there! We believe in you Star

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
WOOHOO!! PIT!!

Unless DK costumes have been decided, you could do what you did with Ness and edit the Funky Knog model so it has no glasses. Then, you just need to make a few alt recolors.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I lol'd when I saw the adjustment to Classic Dark Pit.

All looks great, though, these recolors look beautiful on base model.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Dark Pit has his silver bow and purple shield (including Retro costume), right?
All the Dark Pit colours do yes, Classic Dark does not.
WOOHOO!! PIT!!

Unless DK costumes have been decided, you could do what you did with Ness and edit the Funky Knog model so it has no glasses. Then, you just need to make a few alt recolors.
Fantastic idea, I'll see what I can do! :)
I'm excited to see this project is still going on. Over halfway there! We believe in you Star
Not much left to go, but the code is still something that I'll have to wait for even if I finish soon.
I lol'd when I saw the adjustment to Classic Dark Pit.

All looks great, though, these recolors look beautiful on base model.
Thanks for the praise :)

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
i think i'll find myself using Red Dark Pit the most when ever i play as pit

Obskore

Smash Ace
All the Dark Pit colours do yes, Classic Dark does not.

Fantastic idea, I'll see what I can do! :)

Not much left to go, but the code is still something that I'll have to wait for even if I finish soon.

Thanks for the praise :)
will dark pit have a silver sword trail then?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
will dark pit have a silver sword trail then?
It would also be a neat touch to give Dark Pit purple arrows like how he has them in Smash 4.
This is all subject to the limitations of PSA, I will see if they are possible and I want them as well.
Question, why is Roy always listed in the brawl Characters even though he is Melee?
Do you mean his character number and the order he is on the first page? That's because the PMDT put his character slot in one of the empty ones, which happened to be where all the Brawl characters are.

Last edited:

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
.... Yeah... Makes sense. So all the extra slots came in or after the brawl characters. Except the one Mewtwo went in, which was close enough to proper placement.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Donkey Kong is Completed!

1|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Donkey Kong's Default Costume
3 [RED] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
4 [BLUE] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
5 [GREEN] |Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
6|Brawl Design|N/A|N/A|Original Design
7|Brawl Design|N/A|SmashJohn|Original Design
8|Brawl Design|N/A|SmashJohn|Original Design
9|Brawl Design|N/A|SmashJohn|Original Design
10|Brawl Design|N/A|RoboticCyborg|Original Design
11 [RED] |Punch Out Outfit|PMDT|N/A|Punch Out Outfit Default Costume
12 [BLUE] |Punch Out Outfit|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
13 [GREEN] |Punch Out Outfit|PMDT|N/A|Original Design
14|Punch Out Outfit|PMDT|Moe|Original Design
15|Punch Out Outfit|PMDT|Moe|Original Design
16|Funky Kong Clothes|TʘCK|N/A|Funky Kong Clothes Default Costume
17 [RED] |Funky Kong Clothes|TʘCK|Moe|Original Design
18 [BLUE] |Funky Kong Clothes|TʘCK|Moe|Original Design
19 [GREEN] |Funky Kong Clothes|TʘCK|Moe|Original Design
20|Funky Kong Clothes|TʘCK|Moe|Original Design

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57 Pikifan4IndigoCobra57 will be happy to know I went with the Funky Kong idea. TʘCK's model has had the glasses removed to maintain DK's identity and the CSPs have been photoshopped to reflect this. Thanks to Moe for his huge contribution to DK's set. You guys should hear from me again soon. :)

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
Goodbye, sweet sweet sunglasses. :'(

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57 Pikifan4IndigoCobra57 will be happy to know I went with the Funky Kong idea. TʘCK's model has had the glasses removed to maintain DK's identity and the CSPs have been photoshopped to reflect this. Thanks to Moe for his huge contribution to DK's set. You guys should hear from me again soon. :)

Thanks for going with the Funky Kong idea. Anyway, Hyped for rest of costumes.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace

Funky without sunglasses is...odd-looking. But I like the red recolor of it. I also def like DK 10, probably my DK color of choice in friendlies when this comes out.

I wonder what possibly viable alts there are for what's left. . .

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
hey Star, do you have a link for that Greil Ike costume? I'd like to have a look at it myself if I could.

actually, as an addendum to this, Marth's hooded alt seems a little on the "boring and simple" side if I'm being honest. Did you consider using any mods based on his FE: Awakening outfit (even if it is Lucina's)? I'm pretty sure there are a number of those that are of decent quality.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
hey Star, do you have a link for that Greil Ike costume? I'd like to have a look at it myself if I could.

actually, as an addendum to this, Marth's hooded alt seems a little on the "boring and simple" side if I'm being honest. Did you consider using any mods based on his FE: Awakening outfit (even if it is Lucina's)? I'm pretty sure there are a number of those that are of decent quality.
I'm not sure if you can find it on Brawl vault, you'll have to ask SubZero2 for it. Also I found that all the awakening Marth mods on brawl vault were of relatively low quality or not different enough to normal Marth and such are not suitable for this project. Hooded Marth is also a fan favourite among competitive players so that weighed in a lot to its inclusion.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I found that all the awakening Marth mods on brawl vault were of relatively low quality or not different enough to normal Marth and such are not suitable for this project. Hooded Marth is also a fan favourite among competitive players so that weighed in a lot to its inclusion.
oh, fair enough then, makes sense. also i guess it has been a while since i've messed with skins and such so maybe i'm not remembering it quite right.

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
I found that all the awakening Marth mods on brawl vault were of relatively low quality or not different enough to normal Marth and such are not suitable for this project. Hooded Marth is also a fan favourite among competitive players so that weighed in a lot to its inclusion.
what about this one by iwantgames?

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
what about this one by iwantgames?
Not to slam it, but the reason I happen to like hooded Marth is that it's a bit more distinct from base Marth. Awakening Roy is that way compared to PM designed Roy. Awakening Marth doesn't really stick out from base Marth enough in the same way hooded/Sigfried Marth does, so I can't really see this as a choice for anything, unless you were to replace base Marth with this + recolors.

That's just my take on it, of course.

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
Not to slam it, but the reason I happen to like hooded Marth is that it's a bit more distinct from base Marth. Awakening Roy is that way compared to PM designed Roy. Awakening Marth doesn't really stick out from base Marth enough in the same way hooded/Sigfried Marth does, so I can't really see this as a choice for anything, unless you were to replace base Marth with this + recolors.

That's just my take on it, of course.
the main reason i pointed this one out is not because i think the costume choices Star made are bad, it's because he said that he could only find low quality or not to different than normal marth, now i don't know about you but i think this is both a good quality mod and is different than how normal brawl marth is. interesting fact there is concept art for Project M that shows that they were planing to make an Awaking Marth alt at one point.

but yea i see what you mean, i was just wondering if Star even saw this one or not

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
the main reason i pointed this one out is not because i think the costume choices Star made are bad, it's because he said that he could only find low quality or not to different than normal marth, now i don't know about you but i think this is both a good quality mod and is different than how normal brawl marth is. interesting fact there is concept art for Project M that shows that they were planing to make an Awaking Marth alt at one point.

but yea i see what you mean, i was just wondering if Star even saw this one or not
I think there are differences, but not enough. It's totally cool, man, it was just something that was on my mind at the time, haha.

I think that Awakening Marth would actually be a great base model replacement, it would just fill up more space on an SD, probably.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
ToaFierceDeityLink ToaFierceDeityLink I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the model, nor do I think it suits Brawl's art style but I do appreciate you for giving me the look at it.

Expect an update from me within the next two days. :)

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
There is this costume from Brawl Minus though I'm also okay with the hooded Marth.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
There is this costume from Brawl Minus though I'm also okay with the hooded Marth.

Yeah this is a very high quality costume however it came out after I made the hooded recolours and generally people are more of a fan of hooded so it's staying for the final build.

Also, if you guys are interested you can follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Star_SSB

I'll post previews and things on there of upcoming characters. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom