• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 100 song SHOWDOWN - video games edition

Bossvelt

Smash Rookie
10. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Telling the Truth 5/10 This might just be me, but a certain part just sort of annoys me and I can't explain why.
15. Star Ocean 3 - Highbrow 9.5/10 A masterfully composed piece that never gets dull due to it never being repetitive in the slightest.
76. Final Fantasy 5 - Battle on the Big Bridge 6/10 Decent battle music but that's all it really is to me.
96. Project X Zone - Ghosts 'n Goblins 5.5/10 It's well made but it doesn't do anything for me. I guess I just don't like the direction of it.
19. J Stars Victory VS - Two Steps from Hell 8/10 THat **** guitar

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
10. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Telling the Truth - 8/10
15. Star Ocean 3 - Highbrow - 6/10
76. Final Fantasy 5 - Battle on the Big Bridge - 7/10
96. Project X Zone - Ghosts 'n Goblins - 5/10
19. J Stars Victory VS - Two Steps from Hell - 7/10

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Is the next round coming up soon? I want some more music to listen to and find insignificant flaws in judge.

Bossvelt

Smash Rookie
I apologize for taking a bit longer than usual. I'd also like to talk about those who only vote when they have songs they want to win or recognize are in a round. You do not have to vote every round, but you're missing the whole point by only selecting rounds with stuff you know. Give other things a chance and rate even if you don't like it. It's just lame if you exclusively post for **** you want to give a 9 or 10 or something.

10. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Telling the Truth: 7.26
15. Star Ocean 3 - Highbrow: 7.85
76. Final Fantasy 5 - Battle on the Big Bridge: 7.93
96. Project X Zone - Ghosts 'n Goblins: 5.75
19. J Stars Victory VS - Two Steps from Hell: 7.82

too lazy to say **** so obviously battle on the big bridge wins

round 6 ey

11. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~Nuclear Fusion--Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism
98. The Walking Dead - Remember Me
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool
17. Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer
67. Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
11. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion - Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism - 7.5/10 I really liked the general tune, but some parts were just too grating to the ears.
98. The Walking Dead - Remember Me - 7.5/10 Ha, try to figure out which of those is the name of the game. Anyway, it was very soothing.
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool - 8/10 *Sound of turning pages* Ah, yes. Very good. Classy music right there. Machiavellian, even. Which is coincidentally what I'm reading right now. Not a moron. (Alright I'm gonna' be straight with you guys and say I'm only rating this so highly because it reminds me of a song from Portal 2.)
17. Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer - 7/10 At first it was damn awesome, but it got kind of meh towards the end.
67. Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle - 7.5/10 As much as I love headbanging, a song that makes me do it while playing Mario Kart just ends up in disaster. At least outside of the game this is pretty great. :b

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

11. 8/10 - It's a well-composed song, but for a boss theme, it would have greatly benefited from different instrumentation.
98. 8/10 - This somber music fits best within the context of the game, but it's good on its own as well.
39. 9/10 - Sounds very fancy, classical, and villainous.
17. 3/10 - This sounds like an ear-grating mess.
67. 8/10 - Nice and jazzy, but not "dark and evil" enough for a Bowser's Castle track.

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
11: 6/10 - A real mixed bag for me. There were plenty of parts I enjoyed (the rhythm providing piano especially) but it felt a bit busy and started droning after a while. I've never played Touhou, but I've heard the music is one of the best parts of the series So far I've been kinda unimpressed by what I've heard sadly.
98: 5/10 - It's soothing, the violin really makes it for me, but I can't really get into all that much. Also, was this song made for the game or was it a preexisting song that was put into the game? If it's the later, I kind of feel like it's cheating maybe.
39: 10/10 - I really like this piece, and once the melody kicks in it gets really good, really moody, and really fun to listen to. Also, to correct @ Bossvelt Bossvelt this song is from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, not Smash Bros. Brawl. It did appear in Brawl, but it's completely unaltered from its original form.
17: 10/10 - From the second this booted up I know I was in for a treat. This is literally everything I like in sound track music. Eerie choir, an otherworldly feel, some awesome bass and the willingness to be wonderfully atmospheric. No joke, if I still had a PS2 this song alone would be enough to convince me to look into giving this game a go.
68: 6/10 - It's a got a nice chug to it, and the way it mixes genres is interesting, but it isn't anything standout IMO.

EDIT: I miss Bossvelt's post-round summary :(

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
11. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~Nuclear Fusion--Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism 7.5/10 Creative in its tune but nothing that sticks out too much in the song.
98. The Walking Dead - Remember Me 8/10 I remember playing this game, maybe this played in the credits. It's very soothing and fitting.
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool 9.5/10 Bach is probably my favorite composer and this song definitely feels baroque. It's as if Bach and Mozart composed this for PoR.
17. Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer 8/10 Nice choir and tune. Takes a lot of time to build up, but delivers.
67. Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle 8.5/10 Jazzy but with an awesome guitar. A very well made combination of genres and instruments.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
11. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~Nuclear Fusion - Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism - 9/10. The intro already screams that there's a boss coming up, and indeed; this music was composed with the intention of being both more modern and menacing, different from what's the norm for Touhou final boss themes, but it also has the gracefulness of those themes.
98. The Walking Dead - Remember Me - 6/10. It sounds soothing and beautiful, but like the To The Moon theme, I didn't quite get captured by it. Maybe it's just me not having played these games, nor knowing anything about them in general.
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool - 8/10. I don't know, listening to Baroque-style music feels so fancy. I love the harpsichord.
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool 9.5/10 Bach is probably my favorite composer and this song definitely feels baroque. It's as if Bach and Mozart composed this for PoR.
It definitely sounds like Bach indeed.
17. Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer - 8/10.
I think this version has much better quality.
Anyway, the choir is beautiful. (Thinking about it, there's another final boss theme on this very list with a choir at the beginning that then sings through the whole song that I like. A lot.) The track is mystical, and gets even better when it picks up on energy near the end.
67. Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle - 10/10. It's probably a ton of bias here, and I overthink it too much, but this track is so genius.
Good thing @KingBro1 already brought up a point I wanted to talk about.
67. 8/10 - Nice and jazzy, but not "dark and evil" enough for a Bowser's Castle track.
I definitely respect this opinion of liking the more ominous tracks more, but I feel like this track is especially amazing because it does feel like such a change compared to the older Bowser's Castle tracks. And I am going in deep and saying that this makes complete 100% sense when looking at how Bowser in the Mario series has evolved in the Wii and Wii U era.

In console eras prior to the GC, Bowser still was a blank slate personality-wise, except for the Mario RPG games at that time, Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario. In the GC era though, Bowser lost a lot of what made him a villain to be taken seriously, because he became pretty much the series' Butt Monkey. While Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga more or less followed this trend, Paper Mario 2 stuck more to what he was in the prequels. However, in the Wii era, Bowser gained a huge overhaul, like some other characters did. Super Mario Galaxy showed him from a side again that should not be taken lightly anymore, but he also gained a bit of a quirky charm like he had in the RPGs before. In games such as the third Mario and Luigi game or Super Paper Mario he's a goof, but he can get serious, too, and he actually plays the hero in these games, even if it's mostly just for his own ulterior motives. And it sneaked into the platformers later on, too.

The Wii U and 3DS era showed him to be unpredictable, in Mario Bros. U, he conquers Peach's Castle and makes it his base, in Mario and Luigi Dream Team, he is shown to be a lot smarter than he lets on, and in Super Mario 3D World, he sits in a muscle car and throws explosive footballs at you, transforms into a kitty version of himself which he multiplies, has a Jazz/Metal theme and he still feels like a serious threat.

Now, in Mario Kart 8, this reflects that he became more inventive and switched from being purely ominous to being an idiot to seeming quirky, but actually being badass and getting the job done much better.
Now, after this long rambling probably no one is actually interested in, let's talk about the music. It is a creative mix of Jazz and Metal, like his 3D World theme was (and the track seems to take a bit of cues from it), and despite being so different from the other tracks the game has to offer, it feels like it fits right in. When I first heard this track after seeing the Mario Kart 8 direct, boy was I bummed out I didn't have a Wii U yet and having to wait half a year to actually be able to buy one.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
11. 8/10 - I thought it was too repetitive until around 0:30-ish, then I started to like it a lot more. Creative mix of the piano and trumpets, but I'm bothered by the instant vibrato and blattiness of the trumpets... As a trumpet player, this bothers me a bit but probably won't bother others as much.

98. 6/10 - It was pretty, but didn't really hold any significance to me and I don't see the significance in it... Also, it loses a point for being released before the game came out and then licensed in.

39. 8.5/10 - I really like this piece and the harpsichord (I feel it is underutilized in VG OSTs), but the only thing that detracts a lot from this song is it just stops and starts what sounds like a completely new song after the intro. It sounds like the composer didn't know how to extend the song, so he just wrote a second one to play after the first.

17. 7/10 - Not a fan of completely choral song and it isn't as good as some of the other choral songs on this list, but it's solid after the violin comes in.

67. 9.5/10 - Not like a traditional Bowser's Castle theme, but the MK8 OST and this song are both great. They incorporated the electric guitar well with the jazzy sound of the overall soundtrack so it wouldn't sound out of place. I also love guitar solos, so there's that.

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
11. 9.5/10. OKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU But in all seriousness, I love this theme. The POWER. It's also missing the amazing klaxons.
98. 6.4/10. Felt too generic to me. Nice and all, but not really something that sticks out to me.
39. 9/10. It really feels like you're talking to some . . . fool who is hungry for power.
17. 6.8/10. It's a Tales song, so it's good. Not one of the best, but still good.
67. 8.4/10. Ooh, I can FEEL THE POWER on this one. Also, I love the trumpets.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Bumping for more votes. Only 3 more for the round (2 if Bossvelt votes).

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I was alway from home for a while, so it's good for me that there was a little delay.

I'd also like to talk about those who only vote when they have songs they want to win or recognize are in a round. You do not have to vote every round, but you're missing the whole point by only selecting rounds with stuff you know. Give other things a chance and rate even if you don't like it. It's just lame if you exclusively post for **** you want to give a 9 or 10 or something.
I'm pretty sure this was directed at me. 'Kay then, I'll vote every round from now on if possible, but I'm still lazy so I won't explain my thoughts (I'm not very good at that anyways). Happy now? :teeth:

11. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~Nuclear Fusion--Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism - 7.5/10
98. The Walking Dead - Remember Me - 6/10
39. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Power Hungry Fool - 9/10
17. Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer - 8/10
67. Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle - 8/10

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
11. 7.7/10 - From the wise words of a youtube comment I found "I feel like if I had this blasting in my headphones I could take on a rhinoceros."
98. 5.8/10 - This game brought me to tears, but I feel this song lacks the same emotion as the game did as much as I hate to say it. Disappointing
39. 4/10 - Not my kinda music. There are much stronger Fire Emblem tracks, but I guess this one does what it needs to do.
17. 5.6/10 - Not a fan of the vocals, but the violin was pretty snazzy.
67. 8.4/10 - Nintendo have somehow managed to combine metal with jazz and I love it.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Now we just need Bossvelt or someone else for the last vote, then this round is concluded.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Boss asked me to start off the next round, so here we go! I will do this in the future if we don't reach ten after some time, too.

#11 Touhou: Subterranean Anmism - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion: 7.86
#98 Walking Dead - Remember Me: 6.52
#39 Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Power-Hungry Fool: 8.33
#17 Tales of Legendia - The Legendary Sorcerer: 7.04
#67 Mario Kart 8 - Bowser's Castle: 8.26

Remember Me got a generally lukewarm reception from most people, The Legendary Sorcerer was rather divisive here, Nuclear Fusion got very good votes, but not great compared to the two other tracks, Bowser's Castle and Power-Hungry Fool, who were both, aside from one vote for each track, universally loved. But in the end, Power-Hungry Fool took the victory, albeit very closely.

Round Seven!

#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World

This is gonna be good.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
73. 7.8/10 - Good orchestral and choral piece, but it doesn't stand out as much to me as the next couple songs.

55. 9.3/10 - This is a great high-energy track that gets me excited to have a Pokemon battle that was always (unfortunately) easier than the music hyped it up to be, but is still a great track of its own merit. The synth and guitar mesh amazingly, the drums are always there to add a great sound to the background but are never so loud that it takes the interest away from the melodic lines, and the slap bass that comes in near the end is brilliant.
73 21 25 20

21. 10/10 Serpant Eating the Ground is great boss music with the choral stuff at the start, the electric guitar adding to the tension by jammin' out, then the crazy finger tapping near the loop, the trumpet hits, and everything going on makes it crazy and action-filled, then at the second half, it slows. When it speeds back up again, it does variations on other battle music in the game and all of the main character's themes, then the guitar solo at the end defines amazing. This is my definition of a perfect track.

25. 7.8/10 - Look at 73. All of the epic choral stuff seems to lose its appeal fairly quickly after so many of the songs on this list are choral and it isn't really my taste in music anyways.

20. 6.5/10 - I thought this was fairly mediocre until it got to the brass hits, then I started to like it. Then I thought "this sounds just like a classical music concert". Then I realized "Wait, this is from a classical music concert." Then I looked it up and found that it wasn't for a video game. 7.5/10, -1 point for licensed music.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to post quite yet; I got too excited for a new round. Getting to other stuff in the edit.

EDIT 2: Finished the rating the songs.

Last edited:

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
73. 7/10 - Starts off a little slowly and the peak could be better, but it's still a great song. I prefer Eclipse of the Sun however.
55. 7.9/10 - Good ol' Colosseum. It's just a good battle theme, nothing more to it.
21. 9.6/10 - Oh boy, i've been waiting for this one to crop up. This is a brilliant theme because it's so aware of the context. For those that don't know, it's played during the final boss of Bravely Default; a fight in which the enemy's repetitive tactic makes victory seem impossible. The repetition of the battle theme reflects this perfectly, until finally you find a way to fight him. Each character's theme comes in for a thrilling climax. This is definitely one of the greatest pieces of VGM out there.
25. 6.7/10 - Flak incoming. Never heard this but i'm not terribly fond of it.
20. 6/10 - Does this count as VGM? This is just a piece of classical music...

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
55. 9.5/10 - This is a great high-energy track that gets me excited to have a Pokemon battle that was always (unfortunately) easier than the music hyped it up to be, but is still a great track of its own merit. The synth and guitar mesh amazingly, the drums are always there to add a great sound to the background but are never so loud that it takes the interest away from the melodic lines, and the slap bass that comes in near the end is brilliant.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to post quite yet; I got too excited for a new round. Getting to other stuff in the edit.
Haha, you are not the only one, especially with the round being so damn good this time. Praise the RNG.

#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 9/10. Easily one of the best Hyrule Warriors map themes. The track is so dramatic and makes the battles feel so meaningful. It's rather calm compared to most of the tracks in the rest of the game, which makes it really refreshing if you are tired of the more energetic rock tracks. Also, it fits perfectly to Cia and her fate.
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle - 8/10. The track feels so smooth to fight to, and is one of the best normal battle themes in the entire series. Maybe because it is really unique, which might make me care for it more.
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 10/10. The track can be split in a total of 4 sections, which are actually played in different situations in the final battle of the game.
1. The section at the beginning with the chorus. It feels intimitating and overwhelming. The repetition of this part is like a never-ending cycle from which you can't break out of.
2. The section where the track starts to sound more hopeful and uplifting, like a message to not give up and to find a way.
3. The section where the track calms down and starts to feel desperate, just to start getting some energy again for the final breakthrough.
4. The section where we have all the character themes mashing up, and easily the best and most amazing part of this track. It feels like the heroes taking one last stand against their enemy, combining their forces, and the will of victory.
Ah, it is so amazing. I love the Symphonic Rock style of Bravely Default battle music to bits and pieces anyway.
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 9/10. I've never played a Bayonetta game, but I've heard very good things about the series. This theme, though. It sounds so divine and graceful, a worthy theme for a battle against a goddess.
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 8/10. It technically is a preexisting classic piece, I think, but this won't cut down my vote. If it's not okay for Boss, he can just disqualify it. Anyway, I like it, it sounds really epic.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 7/10
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle - 8/10
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 6/10
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 7/10
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 6/10

Last edited:

Bossvelt

Smash Rookie
#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 6.5/10 pretty alright but it didn't hook me in
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle - 3/10 it annoyed me but at the same time some parts were ok so it was confusing
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 9.7/10 one of the best vido gam songs to ever exist
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 9.5/10 also really amazing it truly sounds epic and you really feel that the universe is at jeopardy with this song playing
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 5/10 sometimes stuff like this works for me but in this case it didn't

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
73. 8.6/10. Veeery nice. A rendition of the main Eclipse theme + FIGHTIN' BOSSES
55. 7.6/10. Brings back great memories. Why can't they make a Colosseum WiiU?
21. 9/10. This is an AMAZING piece. Despite never having played the game before, I love it and the chills it sends down my spine--especially the part with the main theme and the character themes.
25. 8.6/10. Very powerful. A very fitting final boss theme. LET'S THROW THINGS INTO THE SUN
20. 10/10. It's Classical music. 'Nuff said.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure this was directed at me. 'Kay then, I'll vote every round from now on if possible, but I'm still lazy so I won't explain my thoughts (I'm not very good at that anyways). Happy now? :teeth:
Nah, that wasn't directed at you. There have been a lot of people saying that they'll only vote on rounds with songs they like.

#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 7/10 Not that this isn't nice and all, but...who's the idiot that submitted this over Eclipse of the Sun?
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon battle - 7.5/10 It was fun, and I liked the pace.
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 8.5/10 Hell YUS
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 9/10 Epic in all senses of the words, just an incredible final boss theme. Really makes you feel like you're fighting a god.
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 6.5/10 Sounds like it would be fun to hear while playing, but I haven't played the game so I can't associate any memories with this.

D

Deleted member

73. 9/10 - Loved the orchestra and choir.
55. 7/10 - Decent, but nothing I'll listen to often.
21. 9/10 - I still have yet to play Bravely Default (sue me all you want, but I'll get to it sooner or later), but this final boss music gets my blood pumped even when I'm simply listening to it without context.
25. 7.5/10 - This piece didn't leave much of an impression on me, but it might grow on me as time passes.
20. 7.5/10 - See #25.

finalark

SNORLAX
73: 7/10 - Initially I wasn't really all that impressed, but it grew on me as I listened. That violin really makes it. Although it is nice and well composed, there really isn't much separating it from similar pieces.
55: 7/10 - Just like 73, at first I really wasn't all that impressed, but it grew on me as I listened. I don't think it would be anything I listen to regularly, but it is pretty decent for what it is.
21. 10/10 - BRB GOTTA GO REPLAY BRAVELY DEFAULT. This always makes me feel like I'm listening to some balls-to-the-wall symphonic metal band. Also, I love how whoever submitted this went with the much more poetic translation of the song's title.
25. 5/10 - It's not bad, just not anything particularly standout for me.
20. 8/10 - Given that this was a preexisting piece of classic music that was inserted into a game, I kind of feel like it would be like submitting songs like this:

Crazy Taxi - All I Want
Tony Hawk's Pro Staker 2 - Guerrilla Radio
Need for Speed Underground - Blinded In Chains
ect.

So yeah, it's good. Having taken classes on music history really helps you appreciate it, but I don't think it counts as video game music.

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I guess I'll just conclude this round right here.

#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon: 7.66
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle: 7.25
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon: 9.09
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee: 7.79
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World: 7.06

No track got any score lower than a 7 on avarage, though From the New World was easily the most divisive one on this list and also got the least points. Cipher Peon Battle and Eclipse of the Moon got good-to-great votes, although Cipher Peon Battle got dragged down a lot by a single really bad vote. The Greatest Jubilee got great votes mixed with some OK votes. But The Serpent That Devours the Horizon completely steamrolled everything else and scores the best out of all tracks that were ever voted.

Also, I love how whoever submitted this went with the much more poetic translation of the song's title.
I didn't submit it, but I changed it to the title it has now because it was the most recent English translation (from Theatrhythm) and also because I like this name more.

Round Eight!

#22 Portal 2 - Bombs for Throwing at You
#77 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Main Theme

#33 Fire Emblem: Awakening - Destiny (Ablaze)

#18 Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - Lust SIN

#7 Xenoblade Chronicles - Zanza

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I guess I'll just conclude this round right here.

#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon: 7.66
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle: 7.25
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon: 9.09
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee: 7.79
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World: 7.06

No track got any score lower than a 7 on avarage, though From the New World was easily the most divisive one on this list and also got the least points. Cipher Peon Battle and Eclipse of the Moon got good-to-great votes, although Cipher Peon Battle got dragged down a lot by a single really bad vote. The Greatest Jubilee got great votes mixed with some OK votes. But The Serpent That Devours the Horizon completely steamrolled everything else and scores the best out of all tracks that were ever voted.

I didn't submit it, but I changed it to the title it has now because it was the most recent English translation (from Theatrhythm) and also because I like this name more.

Round Eight!

#22 Portal 2 - Bombs for Throwing at You - 6/10
#77 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Main Theme - 9/10
#33 Fire Emblem: Awakening - Destiny (Ablaze) - 7/10
#18 Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - Lust SIN - 7/10
#7 Xenoblade Chronicles - Zanza - 9/10

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
23. 2.9/10 - My ears kinda hurt after listening to this. It sounds like a cluster**** of vinyl rips.
77. 7.3/10 - Don't think i'd heard it before, but damn, I kinda like it.
33. 9.2/10 - This captures the magnitude of Fire Emblem so well, it's just perfect. Easily one of the best pieces of music in the Fire Emblem series in my opinion.
18. 6.2/10 - It felt like it was all a bit over the place, can't say I'm terribly fond of it.
7. 9.2/10 - I remember beating Zanza at about 3am. This song has so much intensity without going over the top, and it's so fitting.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
#22 Portal 2 - Bombs for Throwing at You - 5/10. The melody of this is really great, but listening to it kinda hurts my ears.
#77 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Main Theme - 9/10. I didn't play a Metal Gear game, but this is just so epic! Really surprised me. The amount of feels in this is real.
#33 Fire Emblem: Awakening - Destiny (Ablaze) - 9/10. In my opinion, it's FE: A's best normal battle theme, and the one I usually hear while grinding. So magnificent and heroic. It's one of those tracks I've stuck in my head after 200 hours total of playing the game.
#18 Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - Lust SIN - 7/10. Nothing I haven't heard before, but it's a nice and energetic rock track that definitely does well what it wants to do well.
#7 Xenoblade Chronicles - Zanza - 10/10. The haunting chorus at the beginning sounds so divine and mystical, and then the track decides to go a completely different direction. The combination of electric guitar, jazz piano AND chorus is amazingly unique and manages to be really smooth, yet also intense as well. And as far as we know, the lyrics seem to be reverse English (Spoiler alert!), although no one has really clearly deciphered them yet. I love these kind of hidden easter eggs.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
#22 Portal 2 - Bombs for Throwing at You - 4/10 Ouch.
#77 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Main Theme - 9/10
#33 Fire Emblem: Awakening - Destiny (Ablaze) - 9/10
#18 Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - Lust SIN - 8/10
#7 Xenoblade Chronicles - Zanza - 10/10

I was surprised to hear so many great songs this round, especially because I had never heard any of them before.

D

Deleted member

22. 6/10 - Didn't do much for me.
77. 9/10 - MGS3 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I might be very biased.
33. 9/10 - I don't really have much to say about the last three that others have already stated.
18. 9/10
7. 9/10

I'm feeling generous today.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
22. 4.3/10 - It felt good in the moment in-game, but out of context it's kinda hard to listen to. Also, I never noticed this from the Portal 2 OST before because I used speakers when playing it, but naked techno like this hurts headphone users; they needed to put a jacket on the noise so that it isn't so hard on the ears.

77. 8.7/10 - I've never played a MGS game before, but I have listened to their soundtracks just because of how great they are. My favorites out of all of the OSTs are Rules of Nature and Calling To The Night, but this is really great as well.

33. 8/10 - Not the best FE song, but it's definitely up there. It has a really good song length, it has great instrumentation, but it isn't as memorable or as intense as some of the other FE songs.

18. 8.3/10 - Doesn't stand out that much, but I'm a sucker for guitar solos.

7. 9/10 - Very atmospheric, I liked the choir throughout with the made up (backwards English?) language, the distorted guitar blended surprisingly will with the classical strings and piano, and it had an overall great tone. The piano music at 0:54 sounds like it's from Pokemon Colosseum, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
22. 1/10 - Like all Valve OSTs, it's really nothing worthwhile. I have a friend who actually plays Valve games with the music turned off because he finds it to be more atmospheric without it. But Christ does this actually hurt my ears, I couldn't even make it through to the end. This actually gave me a headache, and at the age of 21 I can't really say I'm an old man or anything.
77. 8/10 - No joke, this used to be part of my regular rotation. Pretty damn underrated IMO, since it gets overshadowed hard by Snake Eater. The only reason why it doesn't get a higher score from me is because I personally have listened to it so much that I've actually gotten a bit tired of it, and I feel certain parts of it are somewhat on the weak side.
33. 6/10 - Personally, I would have gone with the often-forgotten Divine Decree (Ablaze) or Id (Purpose) to represent FE Awaken's OST. Destiny (Ablaze) is solid for what it is, but nothing too standout for me. Especially when you listen to music like this pretty regularly.
18. 7/10 - Interestingly, despite being a fan of hard rock and heavy metal Blaz Blue's OST is one of the few things I don't remember from the game (aside from it's opening theme Iconoclast which I only remember because BB came out when I was in love with anything and everything anime and manga). This piece is pretty nice to listen to, but it doesn't really get my blood pumping the way it should. Oh well, it's solid for what it is.
7. 8/10 - As you might have noticed from my previous votes, I'm a sucker for ominous choir in my video game music. I really like this piece, it's atmospheric, mixes genres in a creative way and is nice to listen to. And it also makes me want to go finish my Xenoblade play through. My only real issue with it is that it doesn't seem to really build or go anywhere, it just stays the same throughout.

EDIT: Also, The Serpent Devouring the Horizon has officially surpassed Room of Angel as the most-liked song.

I really hope we can organize a 100 Video Game Song Showdown II, I already have ideas for song I want to submit.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 8/10 I'm a sucker for the chorus chants in games along with heavy bass and drums so this theme gives off a intense vibe.
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle - 7/10 while I do enjoy it I always felt like it was underwhelming compared to say first battle's theme
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 10/10 this to me just screams final boss the chanting in the beginning, the heavy fast paced tone and then as the battle goes on throws more into it to the point that you hear the themes of the different characters in it this song to me is still one of my all time favorite boss songs to date
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 7/10 I like it but idk seens off at the same time
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 4/10 not a fan of it

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
#73 Hyrule Warriors - Eclipse of the Moon - 8/10 I'm a sucker for the chorus chants in games along with heavy bass and drums so this theme gives off a intense vibe.
#55 Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle - 7/10 while I do enjoy it I always felt like it was underwhelming compared to say first battle's theme
#21 Bravely Default - The Serpent That Devours the Horizon - 10/10 this to me just screams final boss the chanting in the beginning, the heavy fast paced tone and then as the battle goes on throws more into it to the point that you hear the themes of the different characters in it this song to me is still one of my all time favorite boss songs to date
#25 Bayonetta - The Greatest Jubilee - 7/10 I like it but idk seens off at the same time
#20 Asura's Wrath - From the New World - 4/10 not a fan of it
Wait, you accidentally voted for the last round.
This is the current round:

Just adjust your old post to that.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
oh my bad then
#22 to awful my ears my poor ear 1/10
#77 I like it alot even though I never played Metal gear 3 myself the title is really catchy 8/10
#33 while it is ok it's not the most memorable song in the game compared to say ID Purpose 6-10
#18 I like this alot between the piano at the beginning and the Castlevania tone it really gives off a cassicical vibe to it 9/10
#7 Ok I know I'm gonna get shot for this I DON'T hate it but compared to the rest of the Xenoblade OST it is not one high on my personal list but I will admit it plays on the chanting very well which gives it a plus 7/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom