• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 10 characters you most fear/dislike playing against online

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
In no particular order, here's my list:
1. Jigglypuff. I just can't figure out how to deal with those multiple hops.
2. Young Link. Projectile spam + seemingly unpunishable smash spam, with hitboxes that usually beat out your own and good speed, all paired with online lag = nightmare.
3. Fox. Too damn fast and crazy kill power.
4. Wolf. Crazy kill power with fast moves and a super good projectile and reflect.
5. Yoshi. Incredible aerial mobility, fairly heavy and practically lagless moves.
6. Kirby. Again with the multi hops.
7. Sonic. Need I say more?
8. Mario. Seems capable of spamming smashes with abandon.
9. Inkling. The speed and that bizarre dash/roll animation make Inkling hard to pinpoint, with an up b that I have yet to successfully punish.
10. Samus. Projectile spam

Edit: added "/dislike" to the title since of lot of you were specifying that you don't really fear characters.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Most of these are actual fears, moreso respect
:ultsimon::ultrichter:- the spam...the damn spam
:ultsnake:- no way in hell I won’t respect these players...having to know where’s where and what’s what before blowing **** up
:ultryu::ultken:- can’t Street Fight right, so yeah
:ultike:- nair...uair...fair...
:ultpit:- More Pit please
:ultpalutena:- nothing to fear from the green haired goddess Waifu
:ultpeach::ultdaisy:- come on...they’re evil yet amazing
:ultpokemontrainer:- the voice is traumatizing
:ultzelda:- only fear the final smash
:ultbayonetta:- I fear the possibility in her being Smash 4 good again...but not like that’ll happen...right

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
wolf - power and speed
dedeedee -if they are good
inkling
mario - feels lagless
yoshi- feels lagless
pichu -feels lagless
bayo
shulk - has speed, crazy range,

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t really fear any characters but as a Ness main I don’t like running into Ike, Lucina, and Marth. They’re not terrible match ups but they do give Ness some problems. I’d put Marth at the top because anyone who’s stuck Marth and not Lucina is usually good and probably has been playing Marth for a while. Lucina and Ike mains are a crapshoot if they’re good or not or if they’re just riding a strong character to high ranks. I go into every matchup thinking I’ll win though no matter who it’s against. Attitude and point of view is extremely important and you’d be shocked at how many games a positive attitude will win you

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I go into every matchup thinking I’ll win though no matter who it’s against. Attitude and point of view is extremely important and you’d be shocked at how many games a positive attitude will win you
dig the positive vibe man, very cool

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
dig the positive vibe man, very cool
It really helps. I recommend it. It’ll stop you from tilting and you’ll be on your best game every match. Obviously I’m gonna lose but if I think I’m gonna lose I already lost. I learned it from in old baseball coach when I was slumping and it helped tremedndously. Go into every at bat thinking you’ll get a hit. Now I just carry it over to Smash or anything competitive I do

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ok sorry for the double post but this is a completely different subject. The character that I do fear facing online is spammy bad Ness mains who think PK Fire is his only move and give us a bad reputation. Really PK Fire is only good for catching landings

Ness has so many good things about him and so much good in his kit and they choose to spam the most annoying move that’s not even that good and piss people off and make them hate the character. A good Ness is actually really fun to fight and Ness mains don’t deserve the hate they get

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Ok sorry for the double post but this is a completely different subject. The character that I do fear facing online is spammy bad Ness mains who think PK Fire is his only move and give us a bad reputation. Really PK Fire is only good for catching landings

Ness has so many good things about him and so much good in his kit and they choose to spam the most annoying move that’s not even that good and piss people off and make them hate the character. A good Ness is actually really fun to fight and Ness mains don’t deserve the hate they get
i hear you man. I use Young link myself and he gets criticized for spaming because of bad users, just like you said with ness's pk fire. But when you play people who are intelligent/mindful with their moveset, they become a fun challenge to face rather than annoyance of repeating the same move over and over.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975

I will certainly admit to having been highly vexed by Ness' pk fire / freeze spam plenty of times. I do usually think "ughhhhhhh" when I run into a Ness or Lucas player, so I suppose those two can be put into a list of feared characters.

I'm afraid of Inkling as well, along with pichu and pikachu. A good jigglypuff can usually give me a hard time.

I'm not usually that afraid of the swordsman characters. That's not to say I don't lose to them, but their toolkit doesn't scare me as much for some reason.

Donkey Kong is pretty intimidating.

Ridley Ridley mirrors make me nervous as well.

I'm not sure I can list a solid 10.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta, Corrin: I have absolutely no idea how to handle these matchups, as I so rarely see them.
Inkling, Pichu: I feel like these two are just impossible to hit due to size and animations.
Lucina, Marth: Jump and press forward A. So simple, yet so effective.
Jigglypuff: It's either going to be a really easy fight or a really tough fight.
K. Rool: Same as Jigglypuff.
Mario: I feel like he's just a solid character.
Bowser: Really fast and hits like a truck. I also have to pay a lot more attention to what jab I'm using, unless I want a fsmash to the face.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Fear isn't the right word but running into any of the Marth clones or Ike is an absolute snooze and when I see their renders on the loading screen I let out a big sigh usually

Can't wait to play around endless spaced nairs, fairs, or run up side-b in the case of everyone but Ike. Mmm. Fun gameplay. Very good. Galaxy brain

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
:ultincineroar: You think you're going to win? Here's a side B with rage. And here goes your stock.
:ultisabelle: I don't know if fear is the word here...but she is one of the most annoying character to fight. Not that I wouldn't be able to handle the match up, but the matches are usually so boring against her that I can't possibly focus.
:ultchrom: Have you ever heard about lag? Well, Chrom have not apparently.
:ultjigglypuff: I can't get around this character. Her moves have so many active frames, I just can't understand the timing.
:ultganondorf: It can go both way honestly...it's just scary to know that if he hits you more than 2 times, you can basically say goodbye to your stock.
:ultolimar: Mostly the same reason as Isabelle...except he is not one of the most annoying, but THE most annoying of the cast. I can't even understand how someone playing this character can have fun.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I don’t really fear anyone. I kind of sigh when I run into any character with gratuitous super armor because I have to play super careful so I don’t eat any smashes.

Regardless of whether they mindlessly spam PK Fire or play “optimally”, Ness is still pretty annoying. His aerials alone are enough to be frustrating, let alone yo-yo edgeguards. It’s like Mario or Luigi who can turn your combo into their combo by spamming A when getting bodied aerially, just annoying. It’s easier to accept every character has their nuances that make them frustrating to fight than keep trying to prove otherwise.

Fear isn't the right word but running into any of the Marth clones or Ike is an absolute snooze and when I see their renders on the loading screen I let out a big sigh usually

Can't wait to play around endless spaced nairs, fairs, or run up side-b in the case of everyone but Ike. Mmm. Fun gameplay. Very good. Galaxy brain
What bugs me is “oh you touched my shield with a hitbox? Here’s a side B.”

I don’t understand how you don’t get bored with that.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Regardless of whether they mindlessly spam PK Fire or play “optimally”, Ness is still pretty annoying. His aerials alone are enough to be frustrating, let alone yo-yo edgeguards. It’s like Mario or Luigi who can turn your combo into their combo by spamming A when getting bodied aerially, just annoying. It’s easier to accept every character has their nuances that make them frustrating to fight than keep trying to prove otherwise.
I get what you’re saying and I get Ness can be annoying regardless of how he’s played but at least realize why he’s annoying. I don’t care if people don’t like playing against Ness or find his kit annoying but I honestly sigh at the PK Fire spamming Ness’s online too and completely understand why he gets hate

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I get what you’re saying and I get Ness can be annoying regardless of how he’s played but at least realize why he’s annoying. I don’t care if people don’t like playing against Ness or find his kit annoying but I honestly sigh at the PK Fire spamming Ness’s online too and completely understand why he gets hate
Lucas is getting a similar reputation as Ness because of PK Freeze.

I think the problem most people have with Ness is that he has more pros than cons. I've played Ness pretty thoroughly in this game, and the two biggest weaknesses I can see him having are getting back onto the stage from the top of the screen, and recovering. But otherwise, a lot of his combo moves are frustrating because they lock people into place. Get hit with PK Fire? You're locked into that move unless you're in a very specific spot and are lucky enough to escape. Get hit with forward air? Odds are Ness will find a way to hit you again and keep you locked in a string because he's floaty. Even his weaknesses that I mentioned earlier can be overcome due to his overall floatiness. He's fast on his feet and able to deal damage extremely quickly, on top of everything else I mentioned, which pisses people off. I don't agree with this, but a lot of people will continue to think that Ness mains are cheap and unskilled because he has so many advantages and little disadvantages.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Lucas is getting a similar reputation as Ness because of PK Freeze.

I think the problem most people have with Ness is that he has more pros than cons. I've played Ness pretty thoroughly in this game, and the two biggest weaknesses I can see him having are getting back onto the stage from the top of the screen, and recovering. But otherwise, a lot of his combo moves are frustrating because they lock people into place. Get hit with PK Fire? You're locked into that move unless you're in a very specific spot and are lucky enough to escape. Get hit with forward air? Odds are Ness will find a way to hit you again and keep you locked in a string because he's floaty. Even his weaknesses that I mentioned earlier can be overcome due to his overall floatiness. He's fast on his feet and able to deal damage extremely quickly, on top of everything else I mentioned, which pisses people off. I don't agree with this, but a lot of people will continue to think that Ness mains are cheap and unskilled because he has so many advantages and little disadvantages.
There are plenty of characters with less disadvantages than Ness though. I’m not gonna say Ness is a bad character because he’s probably a top 15-20 character in this game but he takes a good amount of skill to play at a high level just like any character. I’d say he takes more skill than characters like Lucina and Wolf (who I’m not hating on, they’re just similarly in a good place right now)

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
There are plenty of characters with less disadvantages than Ness though. I’m not gonna say Ness is a bad character because he’s probably a top 15-20 character in this game but he takes a good amount of skill to play at a high level just like any character. I’d say he takes more skill than characters like Lucina and Wolf (who I’m not hating on, they’re just similarly in a good place right now)
Ness also isn't the only character that gets crapped on. Anyone who is deemed an annoying/spammy character will get criticized, and it wouldn't be a stretch at all to say that every character in the game has gotten crapped on at some point. I do agree that at high level play, Ness does take a degree of skill to play like anyone on the roster. However, remember how we talked about all the advantages Ness has? A less-skilled player can manipulate everything good about Ness (spamming PK Fire -> down throw -> fair -> fair -> fair) and win matches that way, which is where the salt kicks in. I personally don't mind Ness too often, but I guess the community just doesn't really like speedy, fast damage characters. But who cares? Play Ness if that's who you want to play. The game is yours, you play how you want. It doesn't matter if other people think you're cheap and unskilled for being Ness. It's not like you'll go to a tournament and be disqualified for being "cheap" so everyone else's opinions are completely irrelevant. Ness is not broken, and those who really like to complain about him just need to learn how to get around him because IT'S POSSIBLE. I don't know if anyone wants to believe it but yes, Ness is defeatable. People just gotta chill.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Mainly anyone who uses a fighter who is semi good at spamming. Like Ness/Lucas with PK fire, Pikachu, ect. I don't fear them so much as it just makes for an aggravating match. Especially when it lags. I can deal with it pretty good when there's little or no lag, but I might as well sign away everything I own when there's some nasty lag.

I can also win against them. Sometimes I don't. But it's just not fun to fight those kinds of people, you know?

DynamicMoves

Smash Cadet
NNID
DynamicMovement
3DS FC
4485-0297-2818
Belmont, samus, link, Isabella, villager, inkling, snake. And all variations of those characters.
In a little lag they go from being able to deal with it to really annoying to fight.

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
1.Belmont bros
2.Belmont bros
3.Belmont bros
4.Belmont bros
5.Belmont bros
6.Belmont bros
7.Belmont bros
8.Belmont bros
9.Belmont bros
10.Belmont bros

God nintendo why did you create such an annoying character projectile character with easy kill confirms and long ranged weapon whyyyyyyyyy

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The REALLY good Snakes, Rosalina and Luma even though people who use her say she's worse than she was in Smash 4(I still find fighting her a pain.) And Zelda due to her friggen armor and Neutral B whenever you get even remotely close to striking range.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
I’m a Ryu main, so some might understand me saying this, but I don’t “fear” and character really. So I’ll just turn my list into the characters I “dislike playing against” or “hate.”

#1.:ultpichu: (Nuff said. Tiny, fast, and hard to hit)
#2.:ultness: (All the multihits that beat out most of my attacks, also backthrow and PK fire)
#3.:ultyounglink:\:ulttoonlink: (they run from me. I feel like I’m a cat chasing my food and they just chuck their whole refrigerator of equipment at me)
#4.:ultsamus:/:ultwiifittrainer: (Don’t know how to word it, they just annoy me. Plus their neutral-B is a pain, especially online with lag)
#5.:ultlucas:(runs from me too, and most of the time you can count on hearing “PK fire” a million times)
#6.:ultgunner: (One of Ryu’s worst matchups. Keeps me from approaching with pellets)
#7.:ultpokemontrainer: (Now I know a TON of people love Pokémon, but I never cared for it. I guess in the back of my mind I just think it’s lame and for little boys (but hey, more power to ya if you like it). So yeah, whenever I come across one, I just think of a little boy in love with his little Pokémon.)
#8.:ultpeach:/:ultdaisy: (tries to out-do me with technical skill, also never really liked getting hit by her forward air)
#9.:ultduckhunt:(Fights at a range which I sometimes see as cowardly. “Come in and fight me basically” is what goes through my head.)
#10.:ultolimar: (Same story as duck hunt plus having to deal with shaking off all those pickman)

And a Bonus #11. :ultcloud: (Now cloud was nerfed definitely between games, but when I see a Cloud I just think of the most serious try hard who doesn’t even care to enjoy the game. They only want to win, even if it’s done in a scummy way. Idk, just a combination of always charging limit to his giant hit boxes, I find him the most boring and lifeless character to play against (next to Ness).

Last edited:

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
I have three

:ultkingdedede: Gordos are ready hard to deflect with lag, so your only safe option is to shield which leaves you with like 10 years of shield stun.
:ultganondorf: A lot of his very strong but reactable moves become unreactable online, forcing you to get a correct read or die.
:ultmegaman: I never understand what's going on and it feels like every pixel on the screen is a separate hitbox. Applies to offline too, lol.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don't look forward to fighting Pi(ka)chus, as they're difficult to hit. I also tend to get titled by characters with big old swords (mostly if they're fast - Dorf is not an issue). Finally, I slightly dread facing other ROBs as while I should see it as a valuable learning experience, I fear that they'll wipe the floor with me and make my ROB look like complete ****

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
:ultrosalina: I completely forgot about them. I can't really say I fear them, but I think I've encountered 2 in 150 hours of online play. So I don't understand the match up yet and get destroyed all the time (well...both times at least)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
:ultrosalina: I completely forgot about them. I can't really say I fear them, but I think I've encountered 2 in 150 hours of online play. So I don't understand the match up yet and get destroyed all the time (well...both times at least)
I haven’t seen a lot of Rosalina’s nor did I play Smash 4 but apparently she was an atrocious matchup for Ness because she can eat his recovery. The one’s I have seen online haven’t done that effectively. Maybe if she becomes more popular/viable she’ll be the one matchup I “fear” but I doubt it. She’s a different character in this game and I’m rarely recovering with PK Thunder anyway. That said if she was an 80/20 matchup with Ness in her favor in Smash 4 I guess there’s some reason to “fear” her

I’m more worried about her becoming tournament viable and becoming a terrible matchup for Ness but that doesn’t look like it’s happening. Luckily I have secondaries

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I haven’t seen a lot of Rosalina’s nor did I play Smash 4 but apparently she was an atrocious matchup for Ness because she can eat his recovery.
suprised your not fearful of villager/isabelle then. I was playing a ness last night and pocketed his recovery. I didnt know rosalina could do that too.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I can't recall ever fighting a Rosalina online, now that you mention it. I personally avoid any characters that have AI-based elements to their mechanics, such as Rosalina or the Ice Climbers.
I don't look forward to fighting Pi(ka)chus, as they're difficult to hit. I also tend to get titled by characters with big old swords (mostly if they're fast - Dorf is not an issue). Finally, I slightly dread facing other ROBs as while I should see it as a valuable learning experience, I fear that they'll wipe the floor with me and make my ROB look like complete ****
I'm the same way about mirrors. If I run into another Ridley, I get like all shaky and nervous and start playing worse. I imagine a lot of people probably get nervous in mirrors because you can't mentally justify the loss, and someone beat you on your own turf. You can't really go "well.... this was BS because ... and that was dumb because they can do this and I can't get around this, or ehh I don't know this matchup well, this is great practice even though I'm losing..." No excuses! If you lose a mirror, there's like no possible excuse you can come up.

Last edited:

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
:ultzss: because she hops a lot and aerial
:ultsamus: because her projectile spam
:ultpiranha: because the neutral B

Or every character with counter that can punish my smash attacks

Or maybe I just suck.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultness::ultlucas::ultvillager::ultisabelle:: Always a spammer
:ultike:: Getting walled out by n-airs and f-airs isn't my definition of fun
:ultpokemontrainer::ultswordfighter:: Literally just cheesy KO's.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Haven't done much online fighting, but most if not all the Belmonts I've came across just love to spam the ax throw. And it works pretty well to.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
:ultganondorf:They're everywhere, like to flex when landing braindead options cuz they're ez kills.
:ultsamus:/:ultdarksamus:They're everywhere, also like to flex when winning after resorting to spam when they're getting outplayed.
:ultike:N-
:ultness:As most have already discussed, the spam is real with this one.
:ultsonic:I'm sure i just have to study more on this matchup, although that doesn't excuse them doing 2 moves the entire game, lol

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
suprised your not fearful of villager/isabelle then. I was playing a ness last night and pocketed his recovery. I didnt know rosalina could do that too.
I mean I don’t love the matchup but I can usually recover without using PK Thunder and a lot of the time I can maneuver it a way from their pocket and I end up hitting them with PKT2. Rosalina’s has a longer reach. I still usually beat her when I see her (barely see her) but it’s still something to watch out for. I feel like I beat out Villager and especially Isabelle (she has a really hard time zoning Ness) in other ways too

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Only online because they can more times get away with it.

And as I'm typing this I just got word of the Direct xD

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Super heavyweights nowadays qualify as braindead and easy to win with.
What a time to be alive.
I personally find all of the Dorfs hard to play as.
For the record, I ironically consider Ike to be "Marth-Dorf," and Doc to be "Mario-Dorf," etc.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Super heavyweights nowadays qualify as braindead and easy to win with.
What a time to be alive.
I personally find all of the Dorfs hard to play as.
For the record, I ironically consider Ike to be "Marth-Dorf," and Doc to be "Mario-Dorf," etc.
I think the idea is that super-heavyweights generally have no need to perform long, complicated combos to rack up damage or to kill; they can achieve as much damage and carnage in three or four hits as most characters dish out in ten or twelve. The issue is that super-heavyweights have difficulty landing even one hit in high-level play, due to their sluggish frame data — and that goes double for the ones who have poor movement speed on top of their poor attack speed (i.e. Ganondorf & King K. Rool (I’d list Incineroar as well, but his frame data is actually really good by heavyweight standards)). At least King K. Rool has armor and projectiles to make up for his poor speed; Ganondorf doesn't have that luxury.

Top Bottom