• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THC 5: TAJ Has Cash

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
THC Series

THC 5: TAJ Has Cash

Tournament Hosts: TAJ, Tai

Tournament Co-host(s): Whoever

Official Commentator: Whoever

When: February 23, 2013

Where:
TAJ's House
3715 E Liberty Ln
Gilbert, AZ 85296

Scheduled Times*:
11:00 AM Set-up, Doors open
12:00 PM to 12:45 PM Doubles Registration
12:45 ~ 1:00 Melee Doubles Begins
3:00 ~ 5:00 Melee Doubles Finishes
2:00 ~ 3:00 Singles Registration
4:00 ~ 6:00 Melee Singles Pools Start
7:00 ~ 9:00 Melee Singles Bracket Finishes
* Note: These are rough estimates

Singles/Doubles Information:
Entry Fee (Singles): $5
Entry Fee (Doubles): $5 (per person)
Singles: Pools, Winners of the pools advance to a Double elimination bracket
Doubles: Round Robin (unless more than 15 teams, in which case: bracket)

Bring roughly $20 to the tournament if you plan on doing singles, doubles, and going to dinner after the tourney. If that means you need to go to the bank or talk to your mom/dad; do that now before the tournament.

Rules:

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
• Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium

Counter Stage List:
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules
• Items are set to off.
• Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
• Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
• Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
• Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
• Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
• Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
• Wobbling IS LEGAL. Freeze glitch is 100% banned.
• Tai's Stupid Rule: Mewtwo's Soul Breaker glitch is, in fact, legal. How to get a Red Shell while not interfering with General Rule #1 is up to you!

Additional Rules for Teams Play
• Life Stealing is allowed
• Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.**
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

**TAJ's Better Rule: A person may either ban EVERY COUNTERPICK STAGE or ONE STARTER STAGE

Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:
1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance and venue fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
• Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
• Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
• No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
• When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
• The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
• Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.*
• The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
• For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

Additions to the Rules/Info:
• Help clean up after the tournament.
• Incompetence is not allowed. Someone (presumably TAJ) will kick anyone out personally if he feels there is a disruption

Corigames

Smash Hero
I can come if I can get a ride. I can also bring a gamecube, melee, and a TV (If there's room in the car for a big *** TV to sit on the back seat since I don't think it would fit in most trunks.)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm not sure I'll be here. This falls under the week that I have to pay for my phone bill and as such will have zero spending money. Two weeks before, or two weeks after work much better for me.

Also IDK about the rest of Tucson, but Coty's a boss.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah, my mother always told me not to associate with ****** ****** ******* ***** like coty.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
**TAJ's Better Rule: A person may either ban EVERY COUNTERPICK STAGE or ONE STARTER STAGE

Is this rule actually in place? Because I don't like it at all. Obviously people are going to take the opportunity to ban four stages instead of one. This also puts the winner at an advantage even further! I call bull****. **** you, TAJ!!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

Is this rule actually in place? Because I don't like it at all. Obviously people are going to take the opportunity to ban four stages instead of one. This also puts the winner at an advantage even further! I call bull****. **** you, TAJ!!
i'm sorry you don't get an automatic win in game 2 anymore.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
When I played spacies, I always super hated the counterpick stages because most of them are disproportionately problematic for spacies and beneficial for everyone else. If I was in finals with a Peach/Puff, she could pick Mute City OR Brinstar OR Kongo Jungle to her favor, and had two opportunities to use them... and she could ban Yoshi's, so I had to win on her potential of two BS counterpicks AND win on my only partially favorable neutrals. The counterpicks always were offensive.

Corigames

Smash Hero
>Playing Spacies
>Complaining about things being unfair on some stages in some matchups
Sorry, what's the number for the WHAmbulance?

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
>Plays Samus
>...Keeps playing Samus :p

It's not that these stages make it harder for just spacies. They just grant favor to a few characters, while every other character suffers. If there were stages that made lower tiers have an advantage, that would be fine.

Also you should add >Plays Sheik now

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
i'm sorry you don't get an automatic win in game 2 anymore.
Stfu. For real.

It's not an automatic win - I put in a lot of work to win on those stages. I am sorry you guys are ****ing ****ies and can't play on legal counterpick stages.

How about you guys get better?

Kthxdai.

:phone:

Corigames

Smash Hero
>Plays Samus
>...Keeps playing Samus :p

>Plays Sheik now
You.
Yeah, **** you >_>
Now promise me a ride to this and the Oct 22 tourney.
****ing Sheiks... friggin fracken needles... stupid... rabble rabble down throw fair.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
:( Any chance you guys can push this back or forward two weeks? This really is the worst possible week for me.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
it actually will be because joe's family is visiting that weekend and they have to move stuff around the house for whatever reason

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Stfu. For real.

It's not an automatic win - I put in a lot of work to win on those stages. I am sorry you guys are ****ing ****ies and can't play on legal counterpick stages.

How about you guys get better?

Kthxdai.

Right now, the idea is to promote character diversity and loosely maintain stage diversity. This basically works for Peach because she can ban YS and have many favorable stages if the other person bans DL64. It guarantees a strong CP for you since there are 2 high ceiling CPs and one high ceiling neutral.

Plus, this is experimental. Depending on how these work out, I can open up more stages with the same rule, or I can come up with another solution entirely.

This ruleset is basically Genesis 2 rules with some flexibility for CP stages. I'm also thinking of changing the time-out rule in favor of making clock management a larger and more character inclusive aspect of the game. I have to spend more time on that though.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Just do bo5s with only one counterpick stage a set imo..

How much room is in your house Taj? This is at a really convenient date for me, and I really wanna go, but I don't wanna blow up your place if it can only fit AZ as it is.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
You won't blow up the place

But it's not actually on November 12 :(

Read the last few posts/the thread title

SSBMstuff

Smash Cadet
At some guy's house? Geeze, I'd feel so intrusive! I don't even know the guy!

Is this open to anybody who wants to come?? :dizzy:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
At some guy's house? Geeze, I'd feel so intrusive! I don't even know the guy!

Is this open to anybody who wants to come?? :dizzy:
It's at Taj's house

It's open to anybody, but as stated, we don't have a set date for it yet. It was originally planned for November 12, but that fell through because of unforeseen (at the time) circumstances, so we'll do it sometime after that.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I drove 3 hours to go to some guy's house in Ohio for a tournament. I didn't even think about that being weird...

SSBMstuff

Smash Cadet
It's at Taj's house

It's open to anybody, but as stated, we don't have a set date for it yet. It was originally planned for November 12, but that fell through because of unforeseen (at the time) circumstances, so we'll do it sometime after that.
Oh alright man, cool. I'll stay tuned for a date :cool:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
if it helps at all, i went to my first smashfest at "some guy's house" and my first tournament at "some guy's house" (two different people) 4-ish years ago when i was still 13

Corigames

Smash Hero
Smashfest at school er' day.
MM's and tournaments at folks houses er' night.
Nostalgia goggles er' time.

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
I'm gone starting the 18th, but all the Tuscon/SV people not coming due to Elvis's wedding sucks. I wonder if you could hold it on a weekday during the Winter Break and maybe people could come? I can't but it would be cool to establish this tourney as Tuscon+Phoenix rather than just Phoenix

Top Bottom