• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
never seem to be far away from team rocket in the games though, funny how a characters own popularity doesnt seem to always reflect their smash demand popularity
If a popular voice of reason or person brought up the concept of Meowth/TR for Smash more, trust me, it would definitely catch on. That's the only reason some cases like Geno even have any considerations. Sadly it's kind of luck based.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If a popular voice of reason or person brought up the concept of Meowth/TR for Smash more, trust me, it would definitely catch on. That's the only reason some cases like Geno even have any considerations. Sadly it's kind of luck based.
certainly seems to be pure luck

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Here's something really cool that's been found:

More proof on how Meowth and TR have expanded beyond the anime just like Pikachu unlike what naysayers may say (and even they did say they look at the anime for reference for Smash too).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's something really cool that's been found:

More proof on how Meowth and TR have expanded beyond the anime just like Pikachu unlike what naysayers may say (and even they did say they look at the anime for reference for Smash too).
and more proof that theyre stuck in the past

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I assume you mean naysayer's mindset right? I'd say it was never justified given some of the hypocrisy with a lot of what they say.
i was referencing the fact that jessie hasnt had arbok for years, its been longer without than with

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
i was referencing the fact that jessie hasnt had arbok for years, its been longer without than with
To be fair Jessie has been changing Pokemon too much to have a consistent one anymore (besides Wobbuffet), I'd assume they did it to match James' Weezing.

Makes me wonder if TR Meowth will accompany in some way, how would he be? With a generic TR Grunt or just by himself?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair Jessie has been changing Pokemon too much to have a consistent one anymore (besides Wobbuffet), I'd assume they did it to match James' Weezing.
but that was kind of my point, shes had a fair number of pokemon, why not change it up for once

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
but that was kind of my point, shes had a fair number of pokemon, why not change it up for once
Ironically Seviper has technically been on her team for a longer amount of time than Arbok has before being sent to HQ. I think Mimikyu could fit really well I suppose. My favorite of James' Pokemon is Mime Jr. but a different one might be more fitting.

I think they generally just chose those though for how iconically associated to them they are, alongside Wobbuffet of course though he's more due to his long term stay in the team.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ironically Seviper has technically been on her team for a longer amount of time than Arbok has before being sent to HQ. I think Mimikyu could fit really well I suppose. My favorite of James' Pokemon is Mime Jr. but a different one might be more fitting.

I think they generally just chose those though for how iconically associated to them they are, alongside Wobbuffet of course though he's more due to his long term stay in the team.
yeah if anything wobuffets long term status really should make him her signature pokemon, i suppose he wouldnt work in masters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait... am I understanding this correctly?
Jessie and James just made their fourth video game appearance in Pokémon Masters?

1. Pokémon Yellow
2. Pokémon Puzzle League
3. Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu / Eevee
4. Pokémon Masters

This just further cements my belief that if Jessie and James actually got in Smash as Pokémon Trainers, they would have used Ekans and Koffing (or Arbok and Weezing) and Meowth.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Wait... am I understanding this correctly?
Jessie and James just made their fourth video game appearance in Pokémon Masters?

1. Pokémon Yellow
2. Pokémon Puzzle League
3. Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu / Eevee
4. Pokémon Masters

This just further cements my belief that if Jessie and James actually got in Smash as Pokémon Trainers, they would have used Ekans and Koffing (or Arbok and Weezing) and Meowth.
But wait, it gets better.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I thought Jessie's Arbok and James' Weezing both escaped with Young Ekans and Koffing who were being poached by a dude named Rico...
I mean I know the name Rico, it's a really specific memory.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I thought Jessie's Arbok and James' Weezing both escaped with Young Ekans and Koffing who were being poached by a dude named Rico...
I mean I know the name Rico, it's a really specific memory.
they did but there are a lot of people who cant let go gen 1

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Well Arbok and Weezing have been referenced a lot compared to the rest + have appeared in few more material with the rest of the tr mons (in a non plot setting though).

To be fair though, they sadly haven't even went back to the mons they left at HQ besides Wobbuffet, I miss Mime Jr.

Also some more goodies
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The cut off at the end bothers me, please let Meowth actually talk, or at least fight properly if not.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The cut off at the end bothers me, please let Meowth actually talk, or at least fight properly if not.
I’m still disappointed about Meowth not being able to talk and battle in Pokémon Let’s Go. I mean, you were able to battle Meowth in Pokémon Yellow... why not Pokémon Let’s Go too?

They made Jessie and James and Team Rocket Meowth canon... now they need to make talking and battling Meowth canon.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
i doubt masters is canon
I feel like Pokemon has had way too many different alternative realities for there to be much of a single canon to go by anyway personally, but even then, if this is meant to be the Jessie and James from the upcoming M23 (which is set it in an alternate reality from the regular anime series) appearing into this world given it's with a promotional event related to that movie, that would make it questionable on why they would use Arbok and Weezing respectively.

Though it could just be they own them but have yet to use them in the alternate reality movies.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Pokemon has had way too many different alternative realities for there to be much of a single canon to go by anyway personally, but even then, if this is meant to be the Jessie and James from the upcoming M23 (which is set it in an alternate reality from the regular anime series) appearing into this world given it's with a promotional event related to that movie, that would make it questionable on why they would use Arbok and Weezing respectively.

Though it could just be they own them but have yet to use them in the alternate reality movies.
im of the thinking that GF are bothered by canon

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
im of the thinking that GF are bothered by canon
Either way, Jessie and James are popular enough that Game Freak / Pokémon Company took notice and put them in Pokémon video games.

All I can do is keep supporting Meowth and spreading the “Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing team” idea on social media.

I want Jessie, James, and Meowth to appear in more Pokémon video games so they would be relevant on the video game side in addition to the anime side.

I don’t give a F about the anime origin or the “too many Gen 1” complaint. All I want is Meowth even if it means having to break the anime origin rule with Jessie and James and face the “too many Gen 1” backlash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Either way, Jessie and James are popular enough that Game Freak / Pokémon Company took notice and put them in Pokémon video games.

All I can do is keep supporting Meowth and spreading the “Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing team” idea on social media.

I want Jessie, James, and Meowth to appear in more Pokémon video games so they would be relevant on the video game side in addition to the anime side.

I don’t give a F about the anime origin or the “too many Gen 1” complaint. All I want is Meowth even if it means having to break the anime origin rule with Jessie and James and face the “too many Gen 1” backlash.
as much as id prefer to move on from team rocket as a whole i would mind jessie and james sticking around even after 20 years im still not tired of their comic relief

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

The anime rule was never even in the context of properties that started off as video games, people just miss the point the series they mentioned in those interviews are ones that aren't even owned by Nintendo + didn't start off as one therefore being irrelevant to their cases.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The anime rule was never even in the context of properties that started off as video games, people just miss the point the series they mentioned in those interviews are ones that aren't even owned by Nintendo + didn't start off as one therefore being irrelevant to their cases.
well to be fair after 20 or so years of smash the only anime stuff weve had from pokemon is subjective at best

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well to be fair after 20 or so years of smash the only anime stuff weve had from pokemon is subjective at best
We had Meowth’s Party trophy in Melee. That was the Meowth from the anime. Nothing subjective about that.

Meowth in other Smash games is likely a generic Meowth.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Aside from what Arcadenik said, Ash in the Melee intro and Ash-Greninja in Ultimate isn't anime enough?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Aside from what Arcadenik said, Ash in the Melee intro and Ash-Greninja in Ultimate isn't anime enough?
This. And if you want something subjective...

Palutena’s Guidance with Pokémon Trainer has Pit calling Red/Leaf a twerp. To me, this is a reference to the anime where Jessie and James always called Ash and his friends “twerps”. Ash is based on Red too.

Speaking of which... imagine how awesome Palutena’s Guidance with Jessie and James could be. Maybe they could do their motto!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We had Meowth’s Party trophy in Melee. That was the Meowth from the anime. Nothing subjective about that.

Meowth in other Smash games is likely a generic Meowth.
to be fair thats based on a tech demo for a game that was never made

in my defence i always forget about that

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
It's more or less subtly done, we've had talking Meowths before which are obviously based off the TR Meowth but don't outright get called out as Team Rocket (and in the Melee trophy's case he's called an it) like in Pokemon Channel and so on.

I don't think you have to worry for a strict canon much, especially for Smash which tends to do algamation for a bunch of characters at once anyway, like how ZSS has different things and traits from different games + some new original things all at once, Ridley is based off multiple different incarnations, Sheik and so on. Or how Lucario talks like in its debut movie yet also gets treated like a regular Lucario in its trophy descriptions.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it's silly to focus on what generation a Pokemon comes from, given that some stay relevant and renewed for ...well forever.
Jigglypuff is surely just a gen 1 pokemon, but the original starters are in almost every generation as a means of a gift, often even in the story (gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 all give them to you in story).

But I also think that a Team Rocket without a Wobbuffet would be ridiculous.

I just rewatched the Melee intro three times... there isn't a human character from Pokemon at all. Please explain to me where specifically you think you saw Ash in Melee.
For that matter, please show me where Ash Greninja is in Smash. Is it a spirit? It is definitely *not* a costume for Greninja.

That said- some definite anime references:
Goldeen being useless in a Pokeball, instead of Magikarp, is a reference to the anime.
Pikachu's down B is a reference to Pikachu capturing the thunder from a cloud in the anime in the second or so episode (as thunder was never from a cloud before that point).

Last edited:
Top Bottom