• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Confirmed. Meowth and Team Rocket are coming back to the anime after Alola. I’m very happy and relieved with this good news. This means more screen time for them, more exposure for them, and they will remain relevant in the anime. Now we need to let Nintendo and Pokémon Company know we want them to show up in more games beyond Pokémon Let’s Go.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Confirmed. Meowth and Team Rocket are coming back to the anime after Alola. I’m very happy and relieved with this good news. This means more screen time for them, more exposure for them, and they will remain relevant in the anime. Now we need to let Nintendo and Pokémon Company know we want them to show up in more games beyond Pokémon Let’s Go.

That last part is the challenging part, having this support thread be more active like some others is a good start at least.
Meowth himself has always been used pretty prominently in marketing and such since always, so I didn't doubt that contuining. I hope they go back to Meowth being in love mainly with cat/mammal Pokemon in the anime though, I think they tried a bit too hard to make him the Brock for the Pokemon back in the SM anime.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Make sure to link to the Tweet as well!
I wonder if he could make use of the Gigamax move, given in the anime he can't use Pay Day and the move being related to Pay Day.

I was thinking they should do that with a number of the villainous teams for him, given Pikachu has a lot of male protagonist/characters based costumes and Jigglypuff the female ones. And how Pichu has a few of those but even more.
I’d like that but then I’d be very torn between team aqua and team magma meowth

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I’d like that but then I’d be very torn between team aqua and team magma meowth
I reckon Magma since Pichu already covers Team Aqua.
My personal favourite idea remains giving him Guzma Team Skull shades since Pichu has the Grunt outfit, especially for an Alolan Meowth alternate costume/skin.

(Couldn't find the source, though there's a watermark)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, I kinda wish they would bring back Mega Evolutions and Z Moves.

Imagine Mega Persian and Meowth’s exclusive Z Move!

Oh, and I really wish they would make Meowth pre-evolution a real Pokémon!

I want Meowth to get lots of love in the games!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So anyone got Pokémon Sword & Shield?

I got it yesterday. I also got Gigantamax Meowth in both versions (I got the double pack).

I haven’t found Galarian Meowth yet but I have seen it on Twitter. Apparently it is a bearded Meowth.

So now we have 6 alts for Meowth. We just need one more regional variant and we will have enough for 8 alts. :awesome:

Kanto
Shiny Kanto
Alola
Shiny Alola
Galar
Shiny Galar
???
???

Oh, according to Kantonian Meowth’s Pokédex entry, it doesn’t get along with Galarian Meowth. I would love to see how this plays out in the anime.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, according to Kantonian Meowth’s Pokédex entry, it doesn’t get along with Galarian Meowth. I would love to see how this plays out in the anime.
something similar to meowth's attitude to the alola meowth that works with matori

oh last two alts, may i suggest team rocket colours and wheezing/arbok

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Finally a bump to this thread :nessecho:

I had actually thought, what if Galarian Meowth got patched in over the regular Pokeball Meowth? Super unlikely though I know.

Also Meowth got the Pikachu and Eevee treatment for Gigantamax cry, straight in with his Japanese anime voice:

So anyone got Pokémon Sword & Shield?

I got it yesterday. I also got Gigantamax Meowth in both versions (I got the double pack).

I haven’t found Galarian Meowth yet but I have seen it on Twitter. Apparently it is a bearded Meowth.

So now we have 6 alts for Meowth. We just need one more regional variant and we will have enough for 8 alts. :awesome:

Kanto
Shiny Kanto
Alola
Shiny Alola
Galar
Shiny Galar
???
???

I think we'd be lucky to even get one shiny alt (but if we did, have it be Shiny Alolan Meowth imo). Don't forget the obligatory accessories like Pikachu and such have as well. Not even :ultlucario: can get a golden shiny alt.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also Meowth got the Pikachu and Eevee treatment for Gigantamax cry, straight in with his Japanese anime voice:
So Gigantamax Meowth has the Japanese anime voice... meaning this Meowth is supposed to represent Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let’s Go... just like how Gigantamax Pikachu and Gigantamax Eevee are supposed to represent the starter Pikachu and starter Eevee from Pokémon Let’s Go.

I still wish we got a Pokémon Let’s Go Meowth game where you play as Jessie (female players) or James (male players) and your starter is Meowth.

oh last two alts, may i suggest team rocket colours and wheezing/arbok
Hmm... Meowth wearing both white and black Team Rocket outfits. That works.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
So Gigantamax Meowth has the Japanese anime voice... meaning this Meowth is supposed to represent Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let’s Go... just like how Gigantamax Pikachu and Gigantamax Eevee are supposed to represent the starter Pikachu and starter Eevee from Pokémon Let’s Go.

I still wish we got a Pokémon Let’s Go Meowth game where you play as Jessie (female players) or James (male players) and your starter is Meowth.

Hmm... Meowth wearing both white and black Team Rocket outfits. That works.
I'd still prefer that being a new styled game (which Pokemon is really needing more of) where it focuses on the entire villainous teams and you're on Team Rocket, with Meowth as the mascot ofc.
Kind of like Team Rainbow Rocket from USUM but its own whole game and it focuses on it from TR's perspective, and likely have all the team against each others, heck even the anime had a lot of episodes with the other teams, especially Team Plasma against Team Rocket. Helps that they're getting a lot of involvement in Pokemon GO.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So...Galarian Meowth is actually the same shape as regular Meowth if you see him from behind. His fluffier front? It's a goddamn giant beard.

I'm cracking up
I saw that on Twitter.

That’s why I think Galarian Meowth could work as an alt. Galarian Meowth could still have the same hitboxes as Kantonian Meowth and Alolan Meowth in spite of his beard.

It’s interesting that Galarian Meowth is Steel-type. Maybe it’s the coin that makes him Steel-type?

Maybe they could give Meowth the Eevee treatment with the regional variants. Eevee have evolutions for different types. Maybe Meowth could have regional variants for different types. I really would love to see Meowth as a Fairy-type or a Ghost-type.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have mixed feelings about getting Pokémon Sword. On one hand I'm not sure I feel like getting into recent games if it continues their path of "one step forward, two steps back". Especially since I'm more of a casual fan in the first place.

On the other hand, treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Meowth.

I'd still prefer that being a new styled game (which Pokemon is really needing more of) where it focuses on the entire villainous teams and you're on Team Rocket, with Meowth as the mascot ofc.
Kind of like Team Rainbow Rocket from USUM but its own whole game and it focuses on it from TR's perspective, and likely have all the team against each others, heck even the anime had a lot of episodes with the other teams, especially Team Plasma against Team Rocket. Helps that they're getting a lot of involvement in Pokemon GO.
Why not I suppose, the recent villain teams have been getting less villainous by the game to the point where Team Yell aren't villains at all, just slightly obstructive nuisances.

So...Galarian Meowth is actually the same shape as regular Meowth if you see him from behind. His fluffier front? It's a goddamn giant beard.

I'm cracking up
It gets better,
his evo Purrserker gives him a viking helmet.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I saw that on Twitter.

That’s why I think Galarian Meowth could work as an alt. Galarian Meowth could still have the same hitboxes as Kantonian Meowth and Alolan Meowth in spite of his beard.

It’s interesting that Galarian Meowth is Steel-type. Maybe it’s the coin that makes him Steel-type?

Maybe they could give Meowth the Eevee treatment with the regional variants. Eevee have evolutions for different types. Maybe Meowth could have regional variants for different types. I really would love to see Meowth as a Fairy-type or a Ghost-type.
I kind of don't want them to overdo regional forms with Meowth, however I do love the Meowth promotion given for the main games and for them to continue. That said, some of my ideas for Meowth forms/whatever they feel like doing would be 1. expanding on the lucky cat aspect of him which is what he's based off anyway or 2. something that makes him a Normal/Ghost type based on the 9 lives cat thing we all know of.

Speaking of Perrserker before, check this out:

I can already hear the modern dub Meowth voice in my head just looking at him. Maybe I'll even nickname my Meowth Maddie and Galarian Meowth James for that.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Caught a Galarian Meowth at Route 4 today. Weird and cute!

Also I just realized my Gigantamax Meowth in Sword version is female! That means I could breed and hatch more Kantonian Meowth, right?!

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Caught a Galarian Meowth at Route 4 today. Weird and cute!

Also I just realized my Gigantamax Meowth in Sword version is female! That means I could breed and hatch more Kantonian Meowth, right?!
If it was Male you could use a Ditto for it instead. But yeah as long as it's with something from the Field Egg Group, that means more Kantonian Meowth (unless Gmax Meowth can't breed).
Although I think you can get another one from a trade which can evolve somewhere.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do you suppose galar Meowth being a Viking is a reference to the first movie
Hmm... I don’t know. Probably.

Is Alolan Meowth a reference to that Orange Islands episode where Meowth was treated like royalty by the islanders?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Given how close the UK is to the Scandinavian areas (where I'm from), I'd assume they picked the Viking cat bred and based it around that for that reason, except more exaggerated as an actual viking ofc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Forest_cat

Also:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Given how close the UK is to the Scandinavian areas (where I'm from), I'd assume they picked the Viking cat bred and based it around that for that reason, except more exaggerated as an actual viking ofc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Forest_cat

Also:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
well there is also a certain amount of viking heritage in the uk as well i believe so its not that out there

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People in the Pokémon anime think Team Rocket’s Meowth is an urban legend.

1575339618783.jpeg

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Meowth's Japanese VA responds to fanart, it's cool to see them embracing their fans.

People in the Pokémon anime think Team Rocket’s Meowth is an urban legend.

View attachment 249543
Then there's that one time someone tried to catch him all casually even knowing he could talk.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have been thinking about this move for a while now.

Feint is a move that Meowth learns at level 4.

What it does is let your Pokémon hit the other Pokémon even when the other Pokémon is using Protect or Detect.

If Meowth had Feint as a special move, maybe Meowth could use it to hit shielding opponents and dodging opponents.

Maybe Meowth could even use Feint to hit opponents without getting hit by counter moves. See list of counter moves here.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

What it does is let your Pokémon hit the other Pokémon even when the other Pokémon is using Protect or Detect.

If Meowth had Feint as a special move, maybe Meowth could use it to hit shielding opponents and dodging opponents.

Maybe Meowth could even use Feint to hit opponents without getting hit by counter moves. See list of counter moves here.
Oh, like a super shield breaker? That's very original, I like it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, like a super shield breaker? That's very original, I like it.
Thank you. :052:

It also feels like it suits Meowth considering his association and history with Team Rocket. Like... Meowth is fighting dirty.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

its a neat idea, although their not above having a move doing something completely different in smash

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
its a neat idea, although their not above having a move doing something completely different in smash
Yeah, like Jigglypuff’s Rest, Lucario’s Double Team, and Greninja’s Substitute.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

I think it's a cool idea, especially with the uniqueness in being able to hit air and spot dodges. But that'd also need a lot of balancing to it, maybe something like having a lot of endlag if missed, little followup potential if landed near the end of the attack or some other factors to it?
Maybe it could even be merged in with the idea of the side special being Thief.
I'm really curious on the animations for either though.

Also check this out

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
This is what I like to see... Meowth as the main Pokémon.

https://www.popdust.com/meowth-gigantamax-2641606939.html
On that first part of the article where it calls Meowth weak, I know it's meant to be when compared to fully evolved Pokémon but it is kind of ironic since he's actually quite good in the LC tier competitive wise (although it faces harsh competition from Aipom if it's available to pick).
Better than Jigglypuff and Pikachu since they can't be used there, although even then Jigglypuff would probably be bad anyway I'd assume.

Last edited:
Top Bottom