• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Jessie Lina Inverse has become canon, I was actually imagining that about a month ago or so when I found out they had the same VA. I didn't think they'd actually do this, this is amazing.
Oh, that’s awesome!

About that tweet with Meowth Mecha... I was thinking how good it would be for Meowth and Team Rocket if Meowth Mecha actually becomes canon in the games... because that would have given us a justification for making that their Final Smash. I mean, we have Greninja’s new Final Smash where he transforms into Ash Greninja even though that form originated in the anime but it was also in the games.

Otherwise, we could probably stick to copying Pokémon Trainer’s Final Smash with Meowth using Pay Day, Ekans/Arbok using Glare, and Koffing/Weezing using Explosion.

Here’s how Team Rocket’s Final Smash could go...

:023::024: uses Glare to paralyze the opponents so they cannot move.
:052: uses Pay Day to rack up damage like in Brawl, SSB4, and Ultimate.
:109::110: uses Explosion to make the opponents blast off.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Okay guys I need help how would :109: or :110: fight in smash style?

:023: And :024: could be awesome though.

But do we really want :052: to be held back by :024: and :110:?

:052: Can be enough on his own,

Also are :024: and :110: still with team rocket last I knew they parted ways

A :024: and :110: team up and :052: on his own would be the best way imo.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Jessie Lina Inverse has become canon, I was actually imagining that about a month ago or so when I found out they had the same VA. I didn't think they'd actually do this, this is amazing.
The anime did more than just reference Lina Inverse.

It referenced many anime characters Jessie’s voice actress had done over the years!

F2268DF2-5097-443C-82E4-CDCD64225F27.jpeg

Alolan Meowth Jessie references Hello Kitty!

Link

:023: And :024: could be awesome though.

But do we really want :052: to be held back by :024: and :110:?

:052: Can be enough on his own,

Also are :024: and :110: still with team rocket last I knew they parted ways

A :024: and :110: team up and :052: on his own would be the best way imo.
Sorry about double posting but I feel this should be addressed in a separate post.

Believe me, I truly want Meowth to be a stand-alone fighter. That’s what I have always wanted since 1999.

But Sakurai still have not added him. 5 games. 20 years (okay, it’s actually 19 but still). And we still don’t have Meowth.

Fan demand isn’t loud enough. The fan demand for Meowth cannot be compared to the fan demand for Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and possibly Isaac, Geno, and Banjo-Kazooie if those Grinch leaks are real. Sakurai isn’t going to add Meowth based on fan demand alone.

And there’s that Sakurai keeps adding Pokémon that are either relevant (at the time of their inclusions) and/or how unique (or easy to clone) those Pokémon are.

:ultpikachu: Mascot
:ultjigglypuff: Relevant in 1999, easy Kirby semi-clone
:ultpichu: Relevant in 2001, easy Pikachu semi-clone
:ultmewtwo: First Legendary Pokémon, star of first Pokémon movie, fan demand
:ultpokemontrainer: Protagonist, unique idea of 3-in-1 transformation (like Zelda/Sheik but with one more transformation), relevant in 2004 with FireRed & LeafGreen
:ultlucario: Star of latest movie (at the time), unique idea of aura, relevant in 2006
:ultgreninja: Sakurai added him because he liked the concept art, relevant in 2013

And there’s the possibility that Incineroar might be added in Ultimate... as of why? I don’t know yet but I assume it’s because Sakurai liked the concept art and he’s relevant too. Same reasons with Greninja.

So... why does Meowth keep getting passed over? Is he not unique enough in Sakurai’s eyes?

And that’s why, out of desperation, I started entertaining the idea of Team Rocket Meowth from the anime. I mean, let’s be honest, Meowth is popular mainly because of that anime. And so I started thinking about how Team Rocket Meowth could work in Smash...

And then when I saw Team Rocket from the anime show up in Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu / Eevee, I knew it. Team Rocket Meowth could use Ekans and Koffing (or Arbok and Weezing) in his moveset!

You asked how Koffing/Weezing could fight in Smash style. I was thinking that Koffing/Weezing could follow Meowth around like how Luma follows Rosalina... or how the Pikmin follow Olimar. I think we all know Koffing/Weezing couldn’t work as a stand-alone fighter since they don’t have limbs (same with Ekans/Arbok)... but Meowth does have limbs so I think it would make more sense if they were part of Meowth’s moveset.

If you have played Smash 64 and/or Melee, Koffing (in Smash 64) and Weezing (in Melee) were Pokeball Pokémon... and they use Poison Gas to rack up damage. I was thinking that, that’s what they would do. Oh, and they could also act as Meowth’s bombs since they know Self-Destruct and Explosion.

How the “Team Rocket” character “dances” in my mind... it’s hard to describe... just... that Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing are part of Meowth’s moveset like Rosalina’s Luma, Olimar’s Pikmin, Peach’s Toad (RIP), and Duck Hunt Dog’s Duck instead of being stand-alone fighters like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard... and that they take turns as Meowth’s tag team partner via Jessie and James summoning and recalling their Pokémon from the background like Pokémon Trainer.

As for your concerns about Meowth being held back by Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing, I believe they would enhance Meowth’s uniqueness by supplementing their own moves. Meowth already have claws and coins and yet they are probably still not unique enough in Sakurai’s eyes (otherwise we would have gotten him in Melee)... that’s why I think a poisonous snake and a poisonous balloon could enhance Meowth’s moveset.

The fact Team Rocket from the anime are finally relevant in the games really helps a lot. Smash still lacks a true Pokémon villain... I know people say Mewtwo but I think he’s neutral... and Team Rocket would finally fill that void (and I need Meowth to fill the void in my Nintendo heart). And let’s not forget that, according to Masuda, the anime is watched by millions of people all over the world in 85+ countries. That means people in those 85+ countries should be able to recognize Team Rocket should they ever get in Smash. It’s not like they are literally whos even to people who don’t play Pokémon games. They are a great addition to the roster.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
The fact Team Rocket from the anime

This is why I don’t see it happening. Like you said millions of people watch the show. It might open the flood gates for the anime characters.

Yeah :ultlucario: first appeared in a movie. But he’s a Pokémon not a human. And let’s be real he’s less reconcilable then Jessie and James.

You could have just their Pokémon but it might bring the question. Where is Jessie and James.

But this is the second time Jessie and James appears in a game

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
This is why I don’t see it happening. Like you said millions of people watch the show. It might open the flood gates for the anime characters.

Yeah :ultlucario: first appeared in a movie. But he’s a Pokémon not a human. And let’s be real he’s less reconcilable then Jessie and James.

You could have just their Pokémon but it might bring the question. Where is Jessie and James.

Jigglypuff was largely added thanks to the show though, which made her very recognizable and fairly popular. She doesn't have much to any role in the main games, and similar to Meowth, it's mostly in promotions, merch and spin offs.
And in an old interview they did say they look into the anime, merch, promotions and so on when looking into Pokemon reps, because if you look at the games, there really is not a cast of set recurring Pokemon in it like Mario really, it's up to the player to decide which Pokemon they catch and make memorable for them. It's too vast, so you have to look beyond the main games.
Edit: And technically Ash and co have been mentioned in a trophy before, Misty had her anime design in Melee and TR Meowth was a trophy there as well.
I also now realize you more so meant Jessie and James, that was something I was curious on myself how they'd do. Perhaps a Team Rocket grunt of some sort having Meowth if not? Or something else, it's not like Meowth hasn't been associated in the games before. Or maybe short appearances like in Meowth's FS or victory screen instead.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I feel that the main reason why Sakurai said no anime characters is not just because they are anime characters but also because there are issues like copyright and production costs.

This excerpt is from this article.
The inclusion of Miis was considered for the previous game, “Super Smash Bros. Brawl,” but after thinking about it for about 1 minute, I dismissed that idea immediately. I didn’t want bullying incidents to occur, and I felt like Miis weren’t suited towards fighting in the first place anyway. And playing against them I felt would be boring because they don’t have any character. It’s a fighting game, so you’re not the only one who uses characters– you have to think about what it’s like to play against those characters as well. However, since Brawl was released, Miis have become more strongly associated as a personal icon because of Miiverse and other features. They are a character that you will always see if you turn on your Wii U, and will see with high likelihood if you use your 3DS, so you could say they are famous for Nintendo characters.

However the biggest reason for the inclusion of Miis was because “anyone can join.” I know that having even a single character be playable in Smash is very important to those fans. I get requests from fans all over the world. With no regard for things like production costs, copyright, and even requests for characters that aren’t in games. Even if it is impossible, that these fans want those characters to be playable in Smash is a real desire.

aren’t in games: Requests for characters from Attack on Titan or Dragonball, for example. The younger the fans are, the more unrealistic the requests get.

See this part?
However, since Brawl was released, Miis have become more strongly associated as a personal icon because of Miiverse and other features. They are a character that you will always see if you turn on your Wii U, and will see with high likelihood if you use your 3DS, so you could say they are famous for Nintendo characters.
Even though Meowth, Ekans/Arbok, and Koffing/Weezing (the Pokémon themselves) originated in the video games they have become more strongly associated with Team Rocket because of the anime. They are Pokémon you will always see if you watched the first five seasons of the anime... and in Meowth's case, 20+ seasons alongside Pikachu. Yeah, they started out as generic literally who Pokémon in the games before the anime aired... but the anime happened and that made them more popular (at best) or more recognized (at least). It also helps that Team Rocket from the anime had these three/five Pokémon in Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I think that, that makes Meowth, Ekans/Arbok, and Koffing/Weezing the ideal choices for Team Rocket's Pokémon in Smash.

Moving on to the biggest issue, the humans, like you said... Jessie and James originated in the anime and they also appeared in at least four games.
  • Pokémon Yellow
  • Pokémon Puzzle League
  • Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu
  • Pokémon Let's Go Eevee
Yeah, it is possible that Meowth and the others could be a generic Team Rocket Grunt's or even Giovanni's Pokémon in Smash just to get around the "no anime" rule... but that human is just a generic NPC and Giovanni doesn't use those Pokémon in the games and people would ask "where's Jessie and James" like you said. The anime made Jessie, James, and Meowth strongly associated with Team Rocket... that I think that when people think of Team Rocket, they think of Jessie, James, and Meowth and not of generic Team Rocket Grunts or even Giovanni.

I know I did not address the real issue: legalities.

Even though Jessie and James originated in the anime, I believe The Pokémon Company still owns the rights to those characters. They are in Pokémon Let's Go after all. So... if Sakurai wanted to, he could ask The Pokémon Company to let him use Jessie and James for the "Team Rocket" character in Smash instead of asking OLM, Inc. (Japanese animation studio) or TV Tokyo (Japanese television station). I believe the "no anime" rule applies to third-party anime/manga characters like Goku and Naruto, and not Pokémon-owned anime characters like Jessie and James or even Nintendo-owned cartoon characters like Captain N. It's like apples and oranges.

Oh, and let's not forget that we also have anime influence in Smash already.
  • Ash Ketchum's cameo in Smash 64 (look at the shoes)
  • Team Rocket Meowth trophy in Melee
  • Misty with anime design trophy in Melee
  • Lucario based on anime movie in Brawl
  • Pokémon Trainer trophy in SSB4 mentioning Ash Ketchum
  • Greninja's new Final Smash Ash Greninja in Ultimate
It's time to blow this so-called rule out with Team Rocket Jessie and James with Meowth, Ekans/Arbok, and Koffing/Weezing as a new playable fighter.

So... I was thinking about the differences between the teams.

:052: and :023: or :024: - Jessie's Team Rocket
  • Both Ekans and Arbok have the ability Intimidate. It lowers the opponent's Attack stat (decreases the amount of damage and launching power caused by normal attacks and Smash Attacks) when Ekans/Arbok enters the battle via Down Special.
  • Meowth is 9.3 lbs. Ekans is 15.2 lbs and Arbok is 143.3 lbs. This means Jessie's Team Rocket is heavier than James's Team Rocket.
  • Meowth's Speed is 90. Ekans's Speed is 55 and Arbok's Speed is 80. This means Jessie's Team Rocket is much faster than James's Team Rocket but somewhat slower than Pikachu (90).
  • The air speed and falling speed of Jessie's Team Rocket is around Fox's level due to the combined weight of the cat and the snake.
  • Ekans/Arbok uses the move Wrap for grab and pummel - the snake wraps around the opponent and squeezes. Meowth uses Fury Swipes for throws - the cat scratches the opponent repeatedly and launches them with the last scratch.

:052: and :109: or :110: - James's Team Rocket
  • Both Koffing and Weezing have the ability Levitate. Koffing/Weezing will always float near Meowth. It will also grant Meowth full immunity to all moves that cause opponents to be buried.
  • Meowth is 9.3 lb. Koffing is 2.2 lbs and Weezing is 20.9 lbs. This means James's Team Rocket is lighter than Jessie's Team Rocket.
  • Meowth's Speed is 90. Koffing's Speed is 35 and Weezing's Speed is 60. This means James's Team Rocket is a lot slower than Jessie's Team Rocket but much faster than Jigglypuff (20).
  • The air speed and falling speed of James's Team Rocket is around Jigglypuff's level due to Koffing/Weezing floating like a balloon. Oh, and Meowth hangs on to Koffing/Weezing when they float together like Jigglypuff.
  • Meowth grabs the opponent and uses Bite to pummel. Meowth uses Koffing/Weezing for throws (similar to Jigglypuff's). For example, Down Throw is Meowth balancing on top of Koffing/Weezing as it rocks back and forth on the opponent.

Pichu has Team Aqua bandana.

I wanted that for Meowth. :crying:

1541095302160.jpeg

You asked how they would fight in Smash.

Well, Sakurai made Piranha Plant work. If he can do that, he can do it with Koffing/Weezing.

Admittedly it’s a bit more challenging to come up with a moveset since it doesn’t have limbs. Piranha Plant at least uses its leaves as limbs.

I guess for grabs and throws, maybe they use the mouth to grab... and then shoot poisonous clouds out of its body to pummel.

For punches and kicks, they shoot poisonous clouds out of its body. For stronger attacks, maybe they spit acid instead.

I don’t know. I’m just spitballing ideas for Team Rocket.

Attachments

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Bumping this thread, would anyone be interested in us forming a Meowth Discord? Just a place where we can gather ideas and concepts to widen this idea out for more people, as well as have more people in general. I really don't think this idea should go to waste and deserves more support and development.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Bumping this thread, would anyone be interested in us forming a Meowth Discord? Just a place where we can gather ideas and concepts to widen this idea out for more people, as well as have more people in general. I really don't think this idea should go to waste and deserves more support and development.
Hmm... not a bad idea. I also think Meowth in Smash is something that shouldn't go to waste.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth Discord? What is a Discord? I’ve seen that word mentioned many times around here.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Meowth Discord? What is a Discord? I’ve seen that word mentioned many times around here.
It's kind of like Skype except more text based I think? (I never used Skype) you can make channels for a server, usually they have a theme of some sort. It's pretty popular at the moment as you may have already noticed but that just helps it, it's also much faster to interact on there, which makes sharing ideas in a quick succession easier. + the K Rools had one before he got revealed and the Bandana Dees have one, so I figured why not one for Meowth as well if we want to get him closer to there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the main thing that helps in Team Rocket's favor is that they are actual antagonists. The closest thing Smash has to one is :ultmewtwo:.

However, the staff generally seems to favor the Pokémon themselves more than the humans from that series, given we didn't get one until Brawl (though it doesn't help that 4 3DS' system limitations prevented :ultpokemontrainer: from coming back).

The main thing that prevented a Smash appearance in their case, I think, is because they hadn't gotten a game appearance since the 90s (Puzzle League on 64 is West-only, so it doesn't count). Now that PLG featured their return, chances have bumped up for them once again.

The anime did more than just reference Lina Inverse.

It referenced many anime characters Jessie’s voice actress had done over the years!

View attachment 172248
Damn son. While I'm not that keen on the anime nowadays, it's amazing that they decided to do this bit, especially since Minky Momo (one of Pokémon head director Kunihiko Yuyama's earlier projects, which the former Pokémon writer Takeshi Shudo was involved with as well) is still tough to see in the West in full form. They even emulated Tsukasa Kotobuki's infamous cheek cleft art quirk for the Saber Marionette/Lime reference.

That could work. A more organised fan movement is necessary for this kind of support.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I found a Pokémon anime reference in Smash Ultimate. It's in Palutena's Guidance with Pokémon Trainer.

Pokemon Trainer Twerp.png

That vocabulary sounds awfully familiar. Where could I have heard this before...?

Pokemon Let's Go Twerp.png

Meowth! That's right!

Team Rocket always called Ash and his friends "twerps". They even called the player character "twerp" in Pokémon Let's Go.

So happy that Smash finally references Team Rocket even if it's only a word.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I found a Pokémon anime reference in Smash Ultimate. It's in Palutena's Guidance with Pokémon Trainer.

View attachment 189591

That vocabulary sounds awfully familiar. Where could I have heard this before...?

View attachment 189592

Meowth! That's right!

Team Rocket always called Ash and his friends "twerps". They even called the player character "twerp" in Pokémon Let's Go.

So happy that Smash finally references Team Rocket even if it's only a word.
Wow! That's actually pretty neat! Still though, I'm... rather shocked that Viridi (You know, Goddess of Nature? Haters of Humans?) doesn't say the 'twerp' line in the Guidance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... I’m sure many of you are already aware of this 3D remake of the first Pokémon movie. I just found out about it today.

Knowing that this is a remake, I knew Team Rocket and Meowth had to be in the movie so I went looking for them in a trailer. And lo and behold, I found them!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is how I imagine Team Rocket would look like in Smash, especially in Adventure Mode.

See how expressive they are, especially Meowth. That would be perfect for Smash! Sakurai did point out how expressive Donkey Kong is in the Smash Ultimate E3 2018 video. Meowth would be very animated and that would do him justice than the wooden portrayal he had as a Poké Ball summon.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
So... I’m sure many of you are already aware of this 3D remake of the first Pokémon movie. I just found out about it today.

Knowing that this is a remake, I knew Team Rocket and Meowth had to be in the movie so I went looking for them in a trailer. And lo and behold, I found them!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is how I imagine Team Rocket would look like in Smash, especially in Adventure Mode.

See how expressive they are, especially Meowth. That would be perfect for Smash! Sakurai did point out how expressive Donkey Kong is in the Smash Ultimate E3 2018 video. Meowth would be very animated and that would do him justice than the wooden portrayal he had as a Poké Ball summon.
Part why his appearance in Melee is my favourite to date.

Meowth could have been perfect for the Morgana spirit battle. It basically screams him for it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Having just watched the movie, I think it's safe to say that Meowth and Team Rocket are probably being saved for the sequel. Which would mean a bigger role.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Having just watched the movie, I think it's safe to say that Meowth and Team Rocket are probably being saved for the sequel. Which would mean a bigger role.
That would be awesome but I am not holding my breath for it.

Team Rocket's own movie with Jessie, James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet as the main characters would be amazing though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wonder if there is a way to give Meowth and a Detective Pikachu the same moveset.

Thematically, they actually have a lot in common.
1) Both serve a key funtion as a vocal connection between humans and Pokemon
2) Both are known to be understated in the attack department

Okay. So maybe they just have two core values in tact.

I think it is a theoretical possibility- and one that could help Meowth given the Detective Pikachu movie and its success.

?????????????

Smash Master
I have always wanted to play as Meowth in Super Smash Bros.!!! I made this moveset video about him.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I have always wanted to play as Meowth in Super Smash Bros.!!! I made this moveset video about him.
Thank you so much for making this, a lot in your moveset is similar to ideas I have for it though less over presence of claw moves (speaking of which I am surprised you didn't give a mention to Wolf in any of them since he's the most prominent claw user atm) and a bit more slight reference to some Team Rocket ones as well, mostly in some smash attacks and specials. Notably for his nair I would use the Smash 64 pokeball animation with the coins instead and the dair you suggested I thought of as a bair like Lucas'. (Although I won't take credit for actually coming up with either of these ideas, saw them and loved them)

Three things I want to highlight though:

1: For the alts I am unsure just how much they'd reference some few episodes outfits from the anime in them (although I'd love for a Tyson Meowth alt), I feel they would also use an Alolan alt and some villainous team outfits, my personal favourite idea being an Alolan Meowth Guzma shades alt.

2: I think the idea of the Meowth Balloon would be a lot better for his entrance animation, but they would probably go for the regular Pokeball one if not.

3: The thing you brought up with popularity besides Pokemon being a hard case to pick characters from as you also mentioned is imo the thing that will always hold him back the most unless something changes, and has pretty much been my wish and goal for a long time now. Get him into more people's minds and mentions in popular potential Smash Bros newcomers list which would influence more and more people to know him so he'd grow beyond a novelty request. Unsure of quite the proper way to make that happen though.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
jigglypuff was a semi clone of kirby and relevant to the anime initially thats part of the reason why she got in 64

in hindsight meowth should've been the 2nd pokemon rep all along

supports meowth :)

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I guess now's a good time as any to bump this thread.
I must say I have somewhat underwhelming feelings, on one hand it has a bit of a menacing look and it is kind of funny and also a new Meowth upgrade, on the other it still looks too silly. I'd have preferred something more like this (or a mix)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, well, well... look who is back.

Meowth! That’s right!

And Meowth finally got himself a Final Smash.

75F68E99-F6B6-4D2F-8385-5C5FCB7F1276.png

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Meowth's gigamax form is a meme?!? Longcat is long? I kinda like it though, it's goofy and ridiculous. Do like it's special though!

Still, Aloan Exeggutor beware, this cat is designed to climb you.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Meowth's gigamax form is a meme?!? Longcat is long? I kinda like it though, it's goofy and ridiculous. Do like it's special though!

Still, Aloan Exeggutor beware, this cat is designed to climb you.
Meowth's giga form is actually bigger than Alolan Eggy (and so far the biggest Pokemon height ever listed yet), so it'd be the opposite. :103::052:

I do feel Meowth, Pikachu and Eevee would have been better suited for special event or something similar forms given they have more mascot statuses, but it's nice to still see Meowth get the same treatment as Pikachu in game even more.
We also still have yet to see the leaked "Ball of grey fur" regional evolution for Meowth.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I do feel Meowth, Pikachu and Eevee would have been better suited for special event or something similar forms given they have more mascot statuses,
They really should have made Pokémon Let’s Go Meowth instead of making Longcat Meowth a limited-time Mystery Gift Pokemon. And then people would be able to get Meowth after January 15 if they had save data from Let’s Go Meowth. That’s the treatment Pikachu and Eevee are getting.

Oh well... at least Meowth is finally getting treated as a mascot for once. We don’t know how long this star treatment will last so I am just trying to savor this moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do feel Meowth, Pikachu and Eevee would have been better suited for special event or something similar forms given they have more mascot statuses, but it's nice to still see Meowth get the same treatment as Pikachu in game even more.
I think they ran out of new stuff to showcase as we get close to release to placate the fans, without going into spoiler territory. And being such staunch traditionalists, just watch as we won't find out the starters' evos until release, I'm not asking for much here.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
They really should have made Pokémon Let’s Go Meowth instead of making Longcat Meowth a limited-time Mystery Gift Pokemon. And then people would be able to get Meowth after January 15 if they had save data from Let’s Go Meowth. That’s the treatment Pikachu and Eevee are getting.

Oh well... at least Meowth is finally getting treated as a mascot for once. We don’t know how long this star treatment will last so I am just trying to savor this moment.
"I say why don't we come up with somethin' better than anotha boring ol' let's go game, blow that game outta the park with a new innovative all villain focused game featurin' good ol' Meowth right here. Reviews oughta skyrocket so high Pikachu'll seek a job at a local fast food junk. And best of all, I'll be a real star!" :052:
In contrast to this commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSD0ixlhczY

I think they ran out of new stuff to showcase as we get close to release to placate the fans, without going into spoiler territory. And being such staunch traditionalists, just watch as we won't find out the starters' evos until release, I'm not asking for much here.
It doesn't have to be a major new feature by any means, could just be something similar to Spiky Eared Pichu or such. I'm not too big of a fan of just using forms as their main marketing personally when those should be second priority to gameplay features and content.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I found this awesome fan art of Meowth vs Pikachu on Twitter.

1571396188507.jpeg

It would be so awesome if the anime actually had a Gigantamax battle between Ash’s Pikachu and Team Rocket’s Meowth.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Found another fan art on Twitter.

1571484415952.jpeg

That’s what I really would love to see in the anime. Just one battle, at least. Even if we all know Pikachu is going to win anyway. Now if the writers can find a way to let Meowth win or at least gain the upper hand for a while... maybe Meowth can cause an earthquake (Electric type Pokémon are weak to Ground type moves).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
There was an ad on this thread featuring a plush meowth in a team rocket shirt from build a bear. It took me a minute to realize no one just posted it as a reference image.

Anyway, meowth in a team rocket shirt is a great costume.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Found another fan art on Twitter.

View attachment 242624

That’s what I really would love to see in the anime. Just one battle, at least. Even if we all know Pikachu is going to win anyway. Now if the writers can find a way to let Meowth win or at least gain the upper hand for a while... maybe Meowth can cause an earthquake (Electric type Pokémon are weak to Ground type moves).
Make sure to link to the Tweet as well!
I wonder if he could make use of the Gigamax move, given in the anime he can't use Pay Day and the move being related to Pay Day.

There was an ad on this thread featuring a plush meowth in a team rocket shirt from build a bear. It took me a minute to realize no one just posted it as a reference image.

Anyway, meowth in a team rocket shirt is a great costume.
I was thinking they should do that with a number of the villainous teams for him, given Pikachu has a lot of male protagonist/characters based costumes and Jigglypuff the female ones. And how Pichu has a few of those but even more.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I found this on YouTube.

I always wanted to see a Pokémon x Mario Kart crossover or even a Pokémon Kart game... and I always added Meowth in my dream roster.

I wonder if he could make use of the Gigamax move, given in the anime he can't use Pay Day and the move being related to Pay Day.
According to Bulbapedia, Gigantamax Meowth can use G-Max Gold Rush if it knows a damaging Normal-type move.

Top Bottom