• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

PF9

Smash Lord
Him being DLC would require him being removed from the Poke Ball summons. Mewtwo only made it in because he already wasn't a Poke Ball summon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Him being DLC would require him being removed from the Poke Ball summons. Mewtwo only made it in because he already wasn't a Poke Ball summon.
Okay but we are talking about Meowth in Smash Switch, not Meowth in SSB4.

PF9

Smash Lord
I mean Meowth would first have to be merely a trophy in the base game, not a Poke Ball summon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think what's little disappointing and depressing about the imgur leak, assuming it's real, is that many pre-Brawl fan favorites like Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Samurai Goroh, and even Porky and Geno finally got in Smash and Meowth and Toad didn't.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish we actually got baby Meowth in Gold & Silver.

Found these fan art on Twitter.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I wish we actually got baby Meowth in Gold & Silver.
I always thought it was kind of weird how Meowth never got a baby version, seeing as it was one of the more prominent Pokémon at the time (and still is tbh) and all kinds of other baby Pokémon for other more or less important Pokémon were introduced. Glad to see that one was in fact planned, but sad it didn't make it all the way through. I imagine a baby Meowth as an additional sidekick for Team Rocket in the anime would be hilarious.

Oh, and I don't think I've posted here before. While I'm sad to say I'm not extremely confident at Meowth making it in Smash at this point anymore (he really should've been the one in Smash 64 instead of Jigglypuff...), I'd be super happy to see it happen anyhow. A bit surprising he is nowhere to be seen in Pokkén either. Meowth really deserves more!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, and I don't think I've posted here before. While I'm sad to say I'm not extremely confident at Meowth making it in Smash at this point anymore (he really should've been the one in Smash 64 instead of Jigglypuff...), I'd be super happy to see it happen anyhow. A bit surprising he is nowhere to be seen in Pokkén either. Meowth really deserves more!
If that imgur leak is real, then it would prove that fans who are faithfully and vocally supporting for their characters (Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Geno, Samurai Goroh, Porky) after 10+ years would finally be rewarded. That's what we should be doing the whole time instead of being the "distracted boyfriend" every time a shiny new gen Pokémon shows up.

If I want the latest gen Pokémon, then I will support that Pokémon along with Meowth. It shouldn't be one or the other. Ask for both. That's why I am asking for both Decidueye (shiny new gen Pokémon) and Meowth. We also need to stop asking for Jigglypuff to be cut just to make room for Meowth. That's never gonna happen and that just makes people less likely to support Meowth. Why not have both Jigglypuff and Meowth in the same roster?

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I certainly wouldn’t mind Jigglypuff kicking the bucket for him....:rolleyes:
Why not both? We need more of the cuter/small Pokemon in Smash, asking for a character cut in favor of another just makes people want to support less imo. We should be asking for him while not demanding a removal of a veteran.
:025::039::052:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I certainly wouldn’t mind Jigglypuff kicking the bucket for him....:rolleyes:
I used to feel that way 10+ years ago but I don't feel like that anymore. We might as well keep Jigglypuff and add Meowth. Like WaddleKing WaddleKing said, we need more cute/small Pokémon in Smash.
TBH, Mimikyu just isn't enough... and we had more cute/small Pokémon in past Smash games. :pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur: It would be nice if we got Meowth in addition to Mimikyu (assuming the imgur leak is real).

D

Deleted member

Several people said that meowth was shown off (also in streams)along with his alolan form. Idk about yall but i think this is all were gonna get.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Several people said that meowth was shown off (also in streams)along with his alolan form. Idk about yall but i think this is all were gonna get.
Disappointed but not surprised.

Meowth undercat gif.gif

Anti-Meowth bias is real.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Although he's more unlikely than ever, just like back for Smash 4, and likely won't make it into Ultimate (Even as DLC), and people may argue we have more generation 1 representatives than ever before now, I will still support Meowth. He really feels like an icon for the Pokemon franchise that could bring a lot of personality, not to mention most likely the most reccuring of the non playable Pokemon in Smash in the Pokemon series.
Someday...
newcomer meowth.jpg

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
people may argue we have more generation 1 representatives than ever before now,
I don't care if we have 151 1st gen Pokémon on the roster. I want to play as this specific Pokémon in Smash. :052:

PF9

Smash Lord
Meowth would have been a nice counterpoint to Duck Hunt (a dog) and the Chus (mice).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth would have been a nice counterpoint to Duck Hunt (a dog) and the Chus (mice).
:052: vs :4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser:
This is for wearing Cat Suits!

:052: vs :4pikachu:
It will be a cathartic release to finally beat you for shocking us and to finally catch you after all these years.

:052: vs :4jigglypuff:
It also will be a cathartic release to finally pop you for keeping me out of Smash 64 just because you had a similar body to Kirby.

:052: vs :pt:
It also will be a cathartic release to finally beat the twerp for blasting us away a million times all these years.

:052: vs :4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
It also will be a cathartic release to finally beat the Pokémon who took Sakurai’s attention away from me just because they were powerful and unique... and then Sakurai will say “Wow. Meowth is very powerful and unique. I am sorry I did not see the potential sooner. I love you Meowth and your friends will get promoted.”

The day Meowth finally and unexpectedly gets in Smash, not as a Pokeball Pokemon but as a playable fighter, will be known as Meowth’s Pay Day... and we will board the Meowth hype train on that day and it won’t stop... no, it cannot be stopped.

Meowth honestly is long overdue that it will be fitting if Meowth’s splash screen says something like “Meowth gets his pay day!”

Last edited:

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
Well he might be unplayable right now but I say we can't give up yet!

We need to work harder than we've ever before, we need to get more fans and publicity any way we can

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
Wait did Meowth get confirmed as a Pokeball again??
That may be but it ain't stoppin us!

If we start being vocal, get Pokemon related fans and get our butts on Twitter, on Nintendo's and Sakurai 's feeds with Meowth memes than maybe we have a better chance

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That may be but it ain't stoppin us!

If we start being vocal, get Pokemon related fans and get our butts on Twitter, on Nintendo's and Sakurai 's feeds with Meowth memes than maybe we have a better chance
Even if Meowth didn’t get in for Smash 5, there’s always 6!

Maybe he’ll get a spike in popularity with Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee!

CatTastic

Smash Cadet

Maybe we have a chance now.

You never know, they could patch the game and take him out of his pokeball.

Forget Pokemon Go! We got work to do. With the support of Pokemon retro fans, if we can somehow gain the support with IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot and big Youtubers then it's a wrap!

Also if we can gain favor of the Serebii community, the whole Pokemon community has our back

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Realistically speaking, they wouldn’t need to necessarily patch out the Pokéball Meowth as there are plenty of Meowth in the Pokémon world, just as they could put in a Charizard Pokéball in the game while still having a playable Charizard. All they’d have to do is disable Meowth or Charizard from spawning in a Pokéball item while being used by a player, that is, if they care about two of the same Pokémon serving two different functions on the screen at once. I also have the same thoughts on Assist Trophies, except in AT’s case the particular AT would need to be disabled when the player version is on screen. There was once a time people thought regular trophies disconfirmed a character (See the reveal of Mewtwo as a trophy in Smash 4, then later being DLC). Anything could change, especially this time around with Smash Ult. We see more characters getting legit costumes as alts. We see LoZ characters all not sharing designs from the respective game they appeared in, and we could possibly see more change as time goes by.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

That's what people always say for the past 19 years now.

There's always Smash 2. There's always Smash 3. There's always Smash 4. There's always Smash 5. There's always Smash 6.

I am sick of it. I am fed up. And that's why I am loud about supporting Meowth now.

What Meowth needs is a large number of vocal and tenacious supporters. That's why Ridley got in. Fan demand got Ridley in.

A spike in popularity? Surely not with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. That's why Eevee got a spike in popularity.

Meowth would get a spike in popularity if it finally got its own games. Let's Go Meowth and/or Meowth's Party would be a good start.

But for now... this is where Meowth is at.

Meowth Pokeball again.png

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
Exactly! We can't just kick back and wish upon a star that he somehow makes it in the next installment.

We have to be vocal, creative and have online swagger in order to attract followers so that they demand that he gets freed from his Pokeball and finally invited to join the party!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Creative. Yes. Let's be creative. What YoshiandToad YoshiandToad did for Captain Toad with this video, we should do for Meowth. Problem is, I lack artistic skills and the technological know-how to make a video. I just made that "Pokeball again?!" picture with MS Paint. And I am looking for anime gifs that give me ideas for Meowth's moveset. Here are some gifs I found for one special move.

Neutral Special - Wobbuffet

Meowth summons Wobbuffet to counter attacks and deflect projectiles. Ironically this move was inspired by Peach's Toad. Canonically Toad is capable of throwing the first punch but Wobbuffet is not capable of throwing the first punch. Wobbuffet can only counter or deflect. That's why I am fine with Wobbuffet being a meat shield for Meowth but not fine with Toad being a meat shield for Peach. I mean, look at Wobbuffet. It's clearly based on those punching toys.

Meowth summons Wobbuffet
Meowth using Pokeball 1.gif

Wobbuffet uses Counter when attacked.
Wobbuffet using Counter.gif

Wobbuffet uses Mirror Coat when hit by projectiles.
Wobbuffet using Mirror Coat 2.gif

I guess I will go back on the drawing board and come up with a moveset that blends Meowth from the Pokémon games, Meowth from the Pokémon anime, and Meowth from the Smash games. Oh, yeah, and collect some more gifs.

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
I don't think it really matters if we make a moveset or not. You think Sakurai and his team is gonna go "let's make Meowth like that" or gee golly, let's program it this way!"

Memes and gifs are enough.
We just need more back up from sites and big Youtubers to give us more momentum.

I'm not particularly skilled but maybe I can use a lil online swagger to get us more support and maybe network if I knew the right people

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's not really about going "Yo Sakurai, make him like this", it's about showcasing what Meowth can do.

The amount of people that have gone from actively disliking Captain Toad as a fighter option due to an inability to imagine how he could work to stating they're now supporters from that video, I'd say showcasing what Meowth could actually do might get more genuine fan support behind the scratchcat.

That said even as a Meowth fan myself I'm not entirely sure which angle you'd take Meowth; do you go for the more famous Team Rocket Meowth, or should he rep Meowths in Pokemon games like most the other Pokemon seem to as the abilities said Meowth will have will varied WILDLY depending on which angle to take.

Rocket Meowth gives him mechs, access to other Rocket Pokemon and most likely a Pitfall ability, but at the expense of Meowth's species trademark ability; Payday.

With Pokemon Trainer being Red rather than Ash and an emphasis on the games rather than the anime for the Pokemon themselves(although Lucario and Mewtwo are up for debate, Greninja lacks an Ash form) it's a wonder what angle you take Pokemon characters for Smash.

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
If it were up to me here's what I'd do;

Like in them mobster/gangster flicks I'd make em use his cuteness, cat swagger, street smarts and theft or hoarding ability and or Pay Day to go on his own pursuit of power in order to one up Pikachu.

Since he's a Normal type he can learn just about anything in the world of Pokemon. There's regular, rare, even forbidden techniques if ya wanna push it that far.

Let's NOT make em talk, just meows. I still want regular cat characteristics tho, I want him to run on all fours but he can still stand on his two feet and pose either way.

The only Team Rocket reference I want is the owner/character in the background summoning him.
(if you wanna go that far use the Jesse or James avatars from Pokemon Yellow, if not just use a standard male or female Team Rocket grunt avatar)

No screaming "we're blasting off again", just a loud painful Meowth cry that's all for his death

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad

I was thinking the Meowth from Pokémon Yellow is probably the ideal way to portray Meowth in Smash.

Meowth in Pokémon Yellow is a member of Team Rocket... but that Meowth also knows Pay Day, unlike the Meowth from the anime.

I did my homework. :awesome:

Anime references
  • Meowth's entrance is Meowth and Team Rocket jumping off from the Meowth Balloon
  • Team Rocket staying in the background like Pokémon Trainer
  • one of Meowth's special moves is summoning Wobbuffet to counter attacks and deflect projectiles
  • Team Rocket celebrating when Meowth wins a match
Game references
  • Meowth knows Pay Day
  • Meowth drop coins when hit... at least in Pokémon Pinball (translated in Smash as Meowth as a Coin Battle fighter)
  • Meowth collects coins (translated in Smash as Meowth as a Coin Battle fighter)
  • Amulet Coin gives more money (translated in Smash as stronger Pay Day moves)
  • Meowth's fighting style involves lots of scratching (it is the Scratch Cat Pokémon after all)
Smash references
  • Meowth's Pay Day animation from Smash 64
  • Meowth's Pay Day animation from Brawl / SSB4 / Ultimate
  • Meowth's Party Final Smash (it was a trophy in Melee)

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
Our best bet is to use the Pokemon Yellow version since that's his only significant in game reference.

Just no anime versions as it's way too cheesy and all over the place

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just no anime versions as it's way too cheesy and all over the place
Yes. It's too cheesy sometimes. I think the best course of action is to minimize the anime references but not erase them outright... as the anime is the reason Meowth is even popular in the first place. Without Team Rocket, Meowth is just a generic Pokémon. It just needs to be tastefully done without going overboard.

Would non-supporters be excited with a generic Meowth from Pokémon Red/Blue? Or would they be more excited with Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Yellow (and the anime)?

CatTastic

Smash Cadet
Yeah you gotta point. That's why the Pokemon Yellow version is the best option at generating excitement and support.

So the Team Rocket avatars will be the anime version?

No other Pokemon are needed, just Meowth himself and his moveset

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah you gotta point. That's why the Pokemon Yellow version is the best option at generating excitement and support.

So the Team Rocket avatars will be the anime version?

No other Pokemon are needed, just Meowth himself and his moveset
I guess Meowth could be himself. But at the same time, I really like the idea of Meowth summoning Wobbuffet for one special move (Counter and Mirror Coat).

After all, it's Team Rocket's second most-recurring Pokémon after Meowth. It's been around since Season 3. It never went away unlike many other Pokémon. Even Arbok and Weezing left at the beginning of Season 6. Wobbuffet has been with Team Rocket far longer than Arbok and Weezing. And at least Gen 2 would finally get another Pokémon in addition to Pichu.

I guess I could always use Payback as Meowth's counter move instead of having Wobbuffet there (it doesn't deflect projectiles like Wobbuffet's Mirror Coat would).

The Team Rocket avatars will be the anime version, of course. This is Team Rocket in Pokémon Yellow. Obviously based on the anime.

Their trophies would probably say they were from "Pokémon Yellow" and "Pokémon Puzzle League".

Top Bottom