• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yup. Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and I guess Lucario are must-haves while Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Greninja are bonus extras. I just wish that Meowth is one of those bonus extras in at least one Smash game. :(
I was more so referring to Gen I Pokemon specifically. :jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee: were bonuses on account of being last minute clones. Jigglypuff from Melee onward received little differences here and there of course so she's fine as she is now. (Wouldn't hurt if they buffed her though...) As of now, Jigglypuff has evolved into a series staple as part of the original twelve. (Pun somewhat intended.)

:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:were all meant to be a proper team/transformation character via:pt:None of them were bonuses, but when it came down to it :4charizard:was the only one who made it back due to being the most popular of the three and the elimination of the transformation mechanic. Some work on the other two was completed but they were dropped fairly early on. Prioritizing new content was the route they took which I feel was for the best.

:4lucario::4greninja:aren't bonuses either. They're representatives of the modern Pokemon generations.

The unfortunate case is that for Meowth to get in, it would indeed have to be as a special bonus as more Kanto Pokemon likely aren't going to be a priority unless they outright return to Generation I with a remake of the original games on the Switch or something along those lines.
Also keep in mind that characters like:4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario:have easier times squeezing in on account of being able to reuse assets. This is something Meowth doesn't have, so it'd have to be a very special case where they can set aside the time for an additional character to be built from the ground up, and only if Kanto has major relevance again.

And even if all those conditions were met, there's still the final hurdle of competing with other Gen I Pokemon.We already know many would like to see :002: or :007: return. Their final evolutions :003: and :009: are also very popular. Aside from them, I do know that :094: is very popular as well. I don't know if there are any others with high popularity, but as you can see, there's still yet some more contenders that would stand in :052:'s way.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
^ I didn't think about it before, but Blastoise would be so freaking sweet, he's second favorite mon. I don't see that, or Venusaur, or PT's pokemon as any more likely though. Maybe Gengar since he was in Pokken, but the others run into the same issues as Meowth, such as too much Gen 1, and competition with newer gens.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
^ I didn't think about it before, but Blastoise would be so freaking sweet, he's second favorite mon. I don't see that, or Venusaur, or PT's pokemon as any more likely though. Maybe Gengar since he was in Pokken, but the others run into the same issues as Meowth, such as too much Gen 1, and competition with newer gens.
There is a Blastoise thread if you want to go bump it up with a post of your support. Breathe some new life into it and try to get more discussion going.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-water-god-blastiose-for-smash.447580/

As for another Gen I Pokemon in general; I wouldn't be opposed to it and I'm quite fond of a lot of them, but I think who we have already is fine, and it's perfectly understandable as to why they're no longer the focus. 7 generations, over 800 Pokemon, and 4 of the 6 we have are from Gen I.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One thing I liked about Pokémon Trainer in Brawl was that you had Red in the background giving commands to his Pokémon. I would love it if the playable Pokémon would have their trainers in the background. For Meowth, it would give Team Rocket an excuse to show up in Smash without being part of Meowth's moveset (except for Final Smash and Wobbuffet, maybe).

:4pikachu: = Red (1st gen design)
:4charizard: = Red (3rd gen design)
:squirtle: = Blue (3rd gen design)
:ivysaur: = Leaf (3rd gen design)
:4lucario: = Cynthia (4th gen design)
:4jigglypuff: = no trainers
:4greninja: = Ash Ketchum (Pokémon XY anime season design)
:4mewtwo: = no trainers
:pichumelee: = Hau (7th gen design)
:052: = Jessie and James (1st gen design)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can't believe Magikarp actually got his own game... and I can't believe I'm actually enjoying the game!

While I'm a little sad that Meowth doesn't have his own game, I'm consoled that Meowth at least has a role in Magikarp's game along with Pikachu, Piplup, Charizard, Snorlax, Slowpoke, Litten, Rowlet, Popplio, and Bulbasaur as Magikarp's friends who give him support.

I wonder what Meowth's Amulet Coin will do... I bet it will give Magikarp more coins. I just got to clear the Great League to unlock Meowth.

Hana Midorikawa

Anti-Pessimist
I am fully in support of Meowth. Much like Pikachu, and to a lesser extent Jigglypuff, he's iconic and that in itself is enough merit to warrant a spot.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Your first post... and it's to give your support to Meowth! Thank you so much and welcome to SmashBoards!

Hana Midorikawa

Anti-Pessimist
Your first post... and it's to give your support to Meowth! Thank you so much and welcome to SmashBoards!
Figured it was time to stop lurking and show my support :052:. Hopefully him and a Gen VII rep (Mimikyu, Decidueye, etc.) get in the next Smash.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth, that's right!

I wish Nintendo made Meowth's own game... it could be about Pay Day... similar to how Magikarp's own game has to do with Splash.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Meowth, that's right!

I wish Nintendo made Meowth's own game... it could be about Pay Day... similar to how Magikarp's own game has to do with Splash.
I know that by Pay Day you're referring to the move itself, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this was some sort of Chulip style game where Meowth is working odd jobs around a town to make money. That and a different scenario where Meowth is working a regular 9 to 5, and you have to manage his expenses every week or something like that. :p

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know that by Pay Day you're referring to the move itself, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this was some sort of Chulip style game where Meowth is working odd jobs around a town to make money. That and a different scenario where Meowth is working a regular 9 to 5, and you have to manage his expenses every week or something like that. :p
Hmm... Meowth's Pay Day = Animal Crossing starring Meowth... I like the idea!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think my great aunt Penny said it best: "A lost kitty can go a long way."

Provided, of course, I think if a lost Meowth can go a long way, then surely Meowth has a chance to be playable. I support.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just as I expected, Meowth's Amulet Coin gives you more coins in Magikarp Jump.

Maybe the Amulet Coin on Meowth's forehead could function like the red light on R.O.B.'s head. When the coin shines, Meowth throws more coins. More coins = more damage inflicted on opponents. When the coin is not shining, Meowth throws fewer coins.

Using Pay Day makes the Amulet Coin dull... so if you don't spam Pay Day, the coin will eventually start to shine. I guess if you spam Pay Day, your other moves that involve coins will not be as powerful.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Playing more of Magikarp Jump and having Meowth use his Amulet Coin to give me more coins, I am more convinced now than before that Meowth's moves should involve coins that he is practically a coin-type Pokémon in Smash. Coins are already closely associated with Meowth in the main games, spin-off games, and even Smash games that it needs to play a big part in Meowth's moveset.

KingCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
StrifeCake
3DS FC
3947-0980-6286
Switch FC
SW 5598 8373 5106
This idea is very funny

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Meowth would be a great choice, but it wouldn't be that likley if Sakuri was the lead developer of the game this Meowth is represented in the anime and not the games. Now it could be argued that Jigglypuff's inclusion was from the anime, but it was also because Jigglypuff was a semi-clone of Kirby in Smash 64. Another thing that brings Meowth's chances down is the fact that he is from Gen 1, which out of every game Gen 1 has 6/9 pokemon that have appered in smash. That is a problem with most fan rosters since most will either add Gengar, Decidueye ( even though he/she isn't Gen 1 ), or both. Meowth will probably never appear in Smash, but I would love to see him in since he is a villain and would bring a lot of nostalgia.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Silly move if Meowth turns out to be a Coin-type character:

Neutral B: Head or Tails
Meowth flips up a coin and then goes on all fours, ready to strike.
If the player presses B, Meowth jumps up to headbutt the coin.
If the player holds B, Meowth spins around to smack the coin with its tail.
If the coin has the "Head" on top when it's hit, the headbutt increases the move's strenght and if the coin has "Tails" on top, the Tail Smack would be the one to buff the coin projectile's power.
Meowth also automically jumps to the coin when performing this move, making it a recovery move as well

Freduardo

Smash Champion
In my mind Meowth is similar to Duck Hunt in the fact he's not alone.

He moves around on top of Koffing like Lemmy Koopa on a beach ball and he holds Ekans by the tail with one paw and uses him as a whip.

Full Team Rocket.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd love to see Meowth!
At this point, I think it would make more sense to have him as a part of Team Rocket to be added.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Here to lend my support for Meowth, used to be my utter most wanted at one point, and I still want him and think he deserves it the most out of any non modern Nintendo characters.
To bring relevancy to this thread, there was a Team Rocket takeover on the Pokemon Twitter for April Fools, they also made a page for Meowth and the other Team Rocket trio members on the site https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/trainer-spotlight-jessie-james-and-meowth/
Aside from that, I don't have much else currently aside from the support icon in my signature I requested on the signature thread.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly Meowth, whilst not my absolute favourite Pokémon (although notably my third favourite) is the only playable Pokémon character I'd get excited over making it into Smash.

I've wanted the ScratchCat for as long as I've wanted Toad(and you can see when I joined for how long THAT was). Sign me up for support!

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I definitely support Meowth! If I remember correctly he was briefly considered for at least one entry...also, he's somewhat in the spotlight now with a new Alola form (and he's a major character in the anime of course, however much that may count). My main personal hiccup though is the slot issue. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that series have "slot limits" (I mean look at Mario in Smash 4), but if I get my way, it'll be 9 Pokémon characters and that seems like pushing it even to me. To elaborate, I'm hoping for something like this: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mimikyu, Mewtwo, and Lucario. Hell, I'm also kind of oddly into the idea of bringing back everyone who's ever been in a smash game, so that means Pichu and Greninja too, which is probably extremely wishful thinking...I guess the most realistic thing I can hope for is that DLC characters are a thing for well over 2 years.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
In hindsight, it really would’ve made more sense for the two original Pokémon reps to be Pikachu and Meowth. I’d like meowth in smash, so here’s to hoping.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In hindsight, it really would’ve made more sense for the two original Pokémon reps to be Pikachu and Meowth. I’d like meowth in smash, so here’s to hoping.
Exactly how I feel, ESPECIALLY with the PKMN anime REALLY hitting its stride around Smash 64's release.

PF9

Smash Lord
Having Meowth would also complete the dog-cat-mouse trifecta that would also contain Duck Hunt and Pikachu. If we're to believe that we are playing as Ash's Pikachu, then we'd be using Team Rocket's Meowth. Pikachu would have the Duck Hunt Dog as a bodyguard.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I heard rumors about Pikachu and Eevee games for the Switch. I think these games will be based on Pokémon Yellow. Pikachu version lets you play as Ash / Red. Eevee version lets you play as Gary / Blue. There needs to be a Meowth version where you play as Jessie & James / Team Rocket.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So I heard rumors about Pikachu and Eevee games for the Switch. I think these games will be based on Pokémon Yellow. Pikachu version lets you play as Ash / Red. Eevee version lets you play as Gary / Blue. There needs to be a Meowth version where you play as Jessie & James / Team Rocket.
Honestly? Surprised there wasn't a "Meowth version" game when PKMN Yellow was first a thing in 1998/1999.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Suppose there was a Meowth version, what would it be about? Team Rocket stealing other Trainers' Pokémon a la Pokémon Colosseum?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meowth always struck me as the one Pokémon character who missed his window, despite the fact that he’s incredibly iconic and should honestly have a wider window. Gen 1 is heavily represented, I know, but you can’t blame its Pokémon for being iconic when they started it all.

With all the rumors of the new Pokémon taking place in Kanto and being a remake of Pokémon Yellow, maybe Meowth can get his due. I certainly hope as much.

(Also the idea of a Team Rocket Pokémon is genius and I’m surprised it never happened.)

PF9

Smash Lord
If Meowth were to get in, he could be voiced by his anime VAs. In English, for his Star KO scream he could say "I'm blasting off again".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's rumored that Smash Switch would have a Heroes vs Villains theme where a lot of newcomers would be villains. Meowth could work as a villain. For years, we sometimes brought up that idea that Meowth could get in Smash as a Pikachu rival or a villain that tries to steal Pikachu in the story mode or adventure mode.

But it seems that Mimikyu is rumored to be that villain newcomer who is Pikachu's rival... at least according to that imgur leak. Think about it, Mimikyu is a Ghost/Fairy Pokémon. Mimikyu is a ghost. Ghosts are a staple of Castlevania series... and Simon Belmont is rumored to be a newcomer. Makes sense, right? Mimikyu could be the villain for Pikachu, Simon Belmont, and even Pac-Man.

*sigh* Meowth can never get a break.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It still baffles me that we never got Meowth as a playable character in Smash. Sadly Pokemon is a series that continually grows in almost 100+ characters (or less in recent years) per generation, so a newcomer being decided upon based off the latest generation has been quite the trend since Melee.

Regardless, I do support Meowth. One of the most iconic/reconizable characters from the first generation and has plenty of potential (Pay Day is a given but other dirty tricks/schemes to justify a moveset of normal/dark type moves can be quite fun). Still continues to appear in the long running anime, and both the Aloan and Kanto Meowth variants were featured quite a bit in Sun/Moon as well. If he isn't able to make the base roster, I would definitely support him for DLC as it's a shame we don't have the lovable scheming cat alongside Pikachu yet.

Top Bottom