• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

PF9

Smash Lord

Meowth is one of the most iconic Pokemon in the franchise for being the main antagonist Pokemon of the anime series as part of Team Rocket.

IMO Meowth is just as iconic as Pokemon like Charizard or Jigglypuff who are also playable in the SSB series and have had notable specimen in the anime (Ash's Charizard, the JIgglypuff that followed Ash and Friends for years).

But Meowth has only been a PokeBall Pokemon (except in Melee) in the Smash series. With a Smash game for the Switch on the horizon (possibly), it's time for Meowth to become the second Pokemon (after Charizard) to make the move from being a PokeBall summon to playable character. The Pokemon anime turns 20 this year, and Meowth (and TR) isn't going away from the show anytime soon that I can hear.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I know that Arcadenik Arcadenik would like this.

Still going to support this talkative Scratch Cat despite the odds. He's a reoccurring Pokémon star that deserves better than a Pokeball.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's right.

Let me support the kitty with the smart mouth.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Meowth for Smash. I also want Alolan Meowth alt.

I was thinking that maybe Smash Meowth could be a combination of Team Rocket Meowth, Pokeball Meowth, and Scratch Cat Meowth.

Team Rocket Meowth = the Meowth from the anime
Pokeball Meowth = the Meowth that comes out from the Pokeball in Smash games
Scratch Cat Meowth = the Meowth from the Pokemon games

B: Wobbuffet
Meowth can summon Wobbuffet out of its Pokeball with B... and can call Wobbuffet back to its Pokeball with B again (it returns to the Pokeball automatically when it's outside for more than 5 seconds). Wobbuffet can counterattack physical attacks (like Marth's Down+B) and return projectiles back to the enemy (like Zelda's B). This could be used to control the stage.

Side+B: Pay Day
Meowth throws many coins in the direction Side+B was inputted (left or right). It can rack up lots of percent damage due to many coins hitting the enemy.

Up+B: Fury Swipes
Meowth lives up to the Scratch Cat Pokemon name. Meowth jumps and quickly attacks the enemy with many scratches. It could work like Mii Brawler's Custom 2 Up+B (Helicopter Kick) but with scratches.

Down+B: Feint Attack
Meowth shows how agile a cat can be by doing a back flip followed by a pounce. It could work like Mii Brawler's Custom 2 Down+B (Feint Jump) and Cat Mario's pounce attack in Super Mario 3D World.

Final Smash: Team Rocket
Meowth and Wobbuffet board the Meowth balloon with Team Rocket. The balloon floats to the background and a vacuum hose comes out from the bottom of the balloon and inhales the stage. The player can control the vacuum hose. Fighters with 50% or above will be sucked into the vacuum hose and star KO'd... and all items on the stages will be cleared out.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support Meowth for Smash. I also want Alolan Meowth alt.

I was thinking that maybe Smash Meowth could be a combination of Team Rocket Meowth, Pokeball Meowth, and Scratch Cat Meowth.

Team Rocket Meowth = the Meowth from the anime
Pokeball Meowth = the Meowth that comes out from the Pokeball in Smash games
Scratch Cat Meowth = the Meowth from the Pokemon games

B: Wobbuffet
Meowth can summon Wobbuffet out of its Pokeball with B... and can call Wobbuffet back to its Pokeball with B again (it returns to the Pokeball automatically when it's outside for more than 5 seconds). Wobbuffet can counterattack physical attacks (like Marth's Down+B) and return projectiles back to the enemy (like Zelda's B). This could be used to control the stage.

Side+B: Pay Day
Meowth throws many coins in the direction Side+B was inputted (left or right). It can rack up lots of percent damage due to many coins hitting the enemy.

Up+B: Fury Swipes
Meowth lives up to the Scratch Cat Pokemon name. Meowth jumps and quickly attacks the enemy with many scratches. It could work like Mii Brawler's Custom 2 Up+B (Helicopter Kick) but with scratches.

Down+B: Feint Attack
Meowth shows how agile a cat can be by doing a back flip followed by a pounce. It could work like Mii Brawler's Custom 2 Down+B (Feint Jump) and Cat Mario's pounce attack in Super Mario 3D World.

Final Smash: Team Rocket
Meowth and Wobbuffet board the Meowth balloon with Team Rocket. The balloon floats to the background and a vacuum hose comes out from the bottom of the balloon and inhales the stage. The player can control the vacuum hose. Fighters with 50% or above will be sucked into the vacuum hose and star KO'd... and all items on the stages will be cleared out.
Pretty much. Combining both canons were always what they did with most Pokemon reps (notably Jigglypuff and PIkachu). So seeing some anime traits out of the furry rascal would be neat, even Team Rocket making an appearance.

I would play as his sassier counterpart (Alola) if that were an alt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pretty much. Combining both canons were always what they did with most Pokemon reps (notably Jigglypuff and PIkachu). So seeing some anime traits out of the furry rascal would be neat, even Team Rocket making an appearance.

I would play as his sassier counterpart (Alola) if that were an alt.
So would I. Oh, and we already have at least four ready-made palettes for Meowth.

Default: Kanto Meowth

Alt 1: Shiny Kanto Meowth

Alt 2: Alola Meowth

Alt 3: Shiny Alola Meowth

We need four more palettes for 8 player mode. Here's my suggestions.

Alt 4: Alola Meowth wearing Black Glasses (makes sense since it boosts Dark type moves and Alola Meowth is Dark type)
http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/blackglasses.shtml

Alt 5: Kanto Meowth wearing Silk Scarf (makes sense since it boosts Normal type moves and Kanto Meowth is Normal type)
http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/silkscarf.shtml

Alt 6: Alola Meowth wearing Choice Scarf (makes sense since it boosts Speed stat and Meowth's best stat is Speed)
http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/choicescarf.shtml

Alt 7: Kanto Meowth wearing these glasses (it speaks for itself)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Meowth_Theater_artwork_PSMD.png

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Prepare for trouble! Just dropping in to pledge support for Meowth as a playable fighter in Smash. :grin:

I was always disappointed by his status as a PokeBall summon since the very first Smash game, and that hasn't changed.

Here's hoping that he has a chance this time. It's only right. ;)

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I dont see this happening although i think it should, meowth is a deserving rep and also one of the few supposedly cut characters from the earlier games to have not been added yet. Gengar would be cool, idk i tend to be more supportive of gen 1 reps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How do you feel about Meowth and other popular but not likely Pokemon as Mii Fighter costumes?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
How do you feel about Meowth and other popular but not likely Pokemon as Mii Fighter costumes?
I would take what I can.

Not surprised about no Pokémon costumes because we all know how notoriously stingy The Pokemon International Company is.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I dont see this happening although i think it should, meowth is a deserving rep and also one of the few supposedly cut characters from the earlier games to have not been added yet. Gengar would be cool, idk i tend to be more supportive of gen 1 reps.
Meowth wasn't actually considered for Smash 64, nor was Pit or Sigurd as has been claimed by some and circulated online as true for so many years.

Source if you want it:

That aside, while I wouldn't be opposed to Meowth, I don't think it's very likely at this point. If we did get Meowth though, I'd honestly be disappointed if they went the anime route. I know that's where the character became most iconic, but Team Rocket's Meowth I feel is best left as an anime only character. I don't dislike TR Meowth, but there's just something about having him specially that bothers me. I don't know I guess it'd just be weird to have specific Pokemon as opposed to a general member of the species, especially one that's taken from outside the game's canon.

As for Alolan Meowth, this is another situation where I kind of wish Smash Bros. had multiple defined styles like in MKX as opposed to customs. I'd love to have Meowth with Normal type specials and Alolan Meowth as an alternate form that swaps some of his specials out for Dark type moves.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't know I guess it'd just be weird to have specific Pokemon as opposed to a general member of the species, especially one that's taken from outside the game's canon.
In fairness, they all appear to be considered the same canon - it's just that the anime follows one particular trainer and those associated with him, in much the same way that the games are the player's own adventure, and so on. Junichi Masuda says as much here;

Masuda on how the worlds of Pokemon video games, TCG and anime all work together

"We do have various staff involved in different things and we always think about these when developing a game. We really want to think about how we can develop beyond the game and widen things once it’s finished. For the card game in particular, we’ve got Creatures Inc. working on the game itself and we discuss with them how best we can expand on the game there and how the new Pokémon we’re creating might fit in with their plans. As we develop the game, we get the TV, TCG and animation teams in to play it so that they have a better idea of what the world, the characters and the Pokémon are like. We’re all creating the characters and the settings together so that they’re consistent across movies, games and trading cards."
Backing this up is the fact that Ash-Greninja and various Ash-hat Pikachus appear in Pokemon Sun & Moon, with at least the former also being in the Trading Card Game as well. Ash himself is even referenced in Pokemon Sun & Moon.

Moreover, doesn't The Pokemon Company International require the likenesses in Smash to be based on the anime, anyway? :confused:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In fairness, they all appear to be considered the same canon - it's just that the anime follows one particular trainer and those associated with him, in much the same way that the games are the player's own adventure, and so on. Junichi Masuda says as much here;

Backing this up is the fact that Ash-Greninja and various Ash-hat Pikachus appear in Pokemon Sun & Moon, with at least the former also being in the Trading Card Game as well. Ash himself is even referenced in Pokemon Sun & Moon.

Moreover, doesn't The Pokemon Company International require the likenesses in Smash to be based on the anime, anyway? :confused:
Very good point, though I'm still unsure as to whether they actually share a canon. While the teams do work closely for consistency among the way Pokemon are portrayed, iirc correctly the manga, anime, and game incarnations of characters are all separate aren't they? I was always under the assumption that stuff like Ash-Greninja was just meant as a promotional thing similar to other event Pokemon. As for the Ash picture, easter eggs aren't always necessarily canon, though thanks for sharing the info, I hadn't seen that before.

And I think you're right on that last point, but I'm not sure whether it's basing them off the anime in terms of taking inspiration, (since tha'ts where we really get to see the Pokemon in action) vs. the Pokemon in Smash being literal counterparts of specific individual Pokemon from the anime.

They definitely use the anime for inspiration since that's a great source of seeing the Pokemon in motion, but I don't think they're meant to be one and the same.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Kirbeh Kirbeh - I really couldn't say more than I already have. I'm actually not a very big fan of Pokemon (I like the concept but don't enjoy the mainline games at all, and have always enjoyed the spin-offs and TV show more), so I don't know the intricacies of it all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What kind of fighting style do you think Meowth should have? I was thinking since Meowth is known as the Scratch Cat Pokemon, most (if not all) of the moves should involve some scratching.

It could work. We have Little Mac and all he does is punch but he still works in Smash just fine. All he does is punch and that's what makes him unique. If some detractor says Meowth isn't unique because all he does is scratch, let them know that it's exactly what sets Meowth apart from the others.

The reason people say so and so isn't unique is because so and so doesn't have flashy moves. If they want flashy moves, throw coins at them! :052:

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
After lots of Meowth related debate in the Official Discussion thread, I decided to do some brainstorming and have compiled the following as a suggestion for how Meowth can hopefully "dance" as Sakurai put it.

Teeter Dance
Swords Dance
Quiver Dance
Dragon Dance
:troll:

Jokes aside:

:052:

Meowth is somewhat weak, but is fairly fast and can deal multiple hits with short, quick combos.

Neutral Special: Pickup - Meowth picks up an item off the ground and uses it to gain it effects. The possible items Meowth can pickup are as follows from most common to least common:

Leftovers - Represented by spawning Food that Meoth can eat to heal a little bit of %.
Carbos - Buff's Meowth's speed for a brief period.
Iron - Buff's Meowth's KB resistance for a brief period.
Protein - Buffs Meowth's normal attacks for a brief period.
PP Up - Buffs Meowth's special attacls for a brief period.
Rare Candy - Buff's all attributes, serving as a combination of the above items.

The rarest of all, are items Meowth can use to attack. The following we're chosen as I deemed them fitting to Meowth's mischievous nature, and these items' functions combined with their rarity would not break the game's balance.

Pitfall - *Rare to pick up, and already has precedent with burying moves from other characters such as DK, Villager and WFT.
Bob-omb - *Extremely rare to pick up, and already has a precedent with Peach's Vegetable move.

Side Special: Feint - Meowth delivers a quick swipe with deceptive range. The move isn't very strong, but can hit opponents through their shields. Deals no hitstun but is useful for landing potshots at mid-range for quick damage.

Up Special: Fury Swipes - Meowth leaps up, delivering a flurry of quick claw swipes as it rises. This is a multi-hit attack, delivering the most damage if you can connect the move from the very first hit. This move can also be angled slightly by tilting the control stick allowing for better horizontal coverage. If you leave it alone, Meowth flies straight up for more vertical distance..

Down Special: Fake Out - A special counter that deals hitstun instead of knockback. The attack itself deals little damage, but the resulting hitstun leaves the opponent open for Meowth to counterattack. Players must react quickly however as while this move does stun the opponent, it wears off quickly, functioning somewhat like a parry.

Final Smash: Payday - A cinematic FS like CF and DH. Meowth tosses out a few coins and if any opponents are hit by them, the scene transitions to Meowth who leaps up high and begins bombarding it's opponents with a hailstorm of coins, racking up lots damage. After burying the opponents in a pile of coins, Meowth finishes the job with Slash, slicing through the coin pile with it's claws and launching opponents away.

:052:
Arcadenik Arcadenik
Your input would be appreciated if you're willing to take a look at it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about how Meowth's moves in Pokemon games might work in Smash.

Fake Out could be used to play mind tricks on opponents.

Fake Out with no additional button input - Meowth does a flip jump like Zero Suit Samus's Down+B but if Meowth touches opponents while flip jumping, they flinch like they were hit with Fox's Side+B

Fake Out then pressing a button - Meowth flip jumps and then pounces on the opponent like Cat Mario in Super Mario 3D World (it works like Mii Brawler's Feint Jump) and if Meowth lands on the opponent, he latches to the opponent and scratches them repeatedly (inspired by the Pokemon move Fury Swipes)

Fake Out used as a counter - Meowth jump flips over the opponent and throws coins at them from behind, inflicting double damage (inspired by the Pokemon move Payback)

Fake Out could be used as an offensive move or a counter move or an evasive move or a recovery move. It just depends on how the player uses it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's weird, I always thought Meowth was going to make it in smash eventually, but his time just kind of came and went. A part of me still wants to see it, I'd definitely be happy if he was announced. I guess that means I support, at least a little.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
FunAtParties FunAtParties I always thought that way too. But either way, I will never give up on Meowth. Team Rocket never gives up.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
FunAtParties FunAtParties I always thought that way too. But either way, I will never give up on Meowth. Team Rocket never gives up.
It would be nice to see, Pokemon representation is just weird though. I wouldn't want Gen 1 to get too much attention, but at the same time it has so many cool characters. But so does the other gens... things can get out of hand way too fast.

Not an easy decision process I'm sure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't see it that way. I mean, I don't see Pokemon in terms of 1st gen, 2nd gen, nth gen. That's too limiting. Like, "oh, this Pokemon is awesome and would be perfect in Smash but too bad it's 1st gen so I'll put in another Pokemon from nth gen even if it's not as awesome". It's like affirmative action based on generational origin.

I support a Pokemon if I like it and what it could bring to Smash, not because of their generational origin and certainly not because The Pokemon Company is promoting that Pokemon. There are plenty of Pokemon from other generations that I like... like Blaziken, Plusle & Minun (as a team), Deoxys (okay, that's too many 3rd gen Pokemon but I don't care)... but I want Meowth the most... and Decidueye is currently my 2nd most wanted.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't see it that way. I mean, I don't see Pokemon in terms of 1st gen, 2nd gen, nth gen. That's too limiting. Like, "oh, this Pokemon is awesome and would be perfect in Smash but too bad it's 1st gen so I'll put in another Pokemon from nth gen even if it's not as awesome". It's like affirmative action based on generational origin.

I support a Pokemon if I like it and what it could bring to Smash, not because of their generational origin and certainly not because The Pokemon Company is promoting that Pokemon. There are plenty of Pokemon from other generations that I like... like Blaziken, Plusle & Minun (as a team), Deoxys (okay, that's too many 3rd gen Pokemon but I don't care)... but I want Meowth the most... and Decidueye is currently my 2nd most wanted.
I agree, but it's difficult. Every most current gen is almost guaranteed a character, that's just how it's been for each game. So unfortunately there's some marketing tactics to this, and it's unlikely Meowth fits into that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As long as Meowth is in the anime, his foot will always be in the door.

Meowth fans need to start purchasing Meowth merchandise. I already got two Meowth plushies. We need to vote with our wallets. This is how I play my small part in letting The Pokemon Company know Meowth still have a fanbase.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Meowth fans need to start purchasing Meowth merchandise. I already got two Meowth plushies. We need to vote with our wallets. This is how I play my small part in letting The Pokemon Company know Meowth still have a fanbase.
On that note, it's always very nice to see how quickly pre-orders sell out for Meowth items over on AmiAmi. ;) I look from time and time, and without fail, they always go quickly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I was searching for Meowth and Decidueye on Google and I found this picture. I love this because it has my two most wanted Pokemon for Smash.

I wish I'm good at drawing or I would have made fan art of Meowth and Decidueye together for Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just found this on Tumblr...

I like the idea of Meowth recolors based on real cat breeds. But Meowth still needs Shiny, Alola, and Alola Shiny recolors.

I see Calico Meowth, Tabby Meowth, and Black Meowth... but I also want Tuxedo Meowth and Orange White Meowth so I would have Meowth recolors based on my six cats.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just found this on Tumblr...

I like the idea of Meowth recolors based on real cat breeds. But Meowth still needs Shiny, Alola, and Alola Shiny recolors.

I see Calico Meowth, Tabby Meowth, and Black Meowth... but I also want Tuxedo Meowth and Orange White Meowth so I would have Meowth recolors based on my six cats.
The Calico and Tabby seem a little excessive, for my tastes. I get that they're based off real cats, but that doesn't always make for a great design imo. I like how Lilac goes for a little more complex look w/o going overboard.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm with Zesty on this. Though I'd generally prefer alt's that reference other cat Pokemon like Skitty, Glameow, Purrloin, etc. I do think a mix of both Pokemon and real cats could work. The Golden and Unlucky Black Cat are two in particular I really like since they fit Meowth's theme. Out of the actual cat breeds I think more subtle or simpler patterns like the Lilac could work, though I'd take the Tabby as well.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think Meowth would be a great thief-like character
We know Sakurai uses known fighting/rpg archetypes to make unique characters (Robin as Paladin, Rosalina as Puppetteer) and Meowth is one of the few characters, next to Anna, who's not even a thief and Nabbit who is obviously the better choice

Meowth would combine a few thief-trope moves, such as sneaking up, swiftness and mobility with his cat-like moves and the moves he can learn.

Feint Attack for example, would be such a fast mobility move that it would take the opponent off-guard, though unlike other "flash moves" it'd move diagonally downwards, so it would really take the opponent off-guard

(Alternatively, it'd slash the opponent's shield to pieces, robbing them literally "off their guards")

Combining Feint Attack and Night Slash's quick reaction-based attacks with Meowth's several trick attacks, such as Fake Out and Feint, there's a lot to say for Meowth as the Tricky Thief

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that if Pokemon ever get an Assist Trophy, I would love it to be Team Rocket from Pokemon Yellow. Jessie and James both summon Arbok and Weezing. The two Poison-type Pokemon team up and attack opponents. Arbok would wrap around the opponent and then Weezing would do what it does in Melee to that opponent.

About Meowth's moveset... I know what I want to see... scratches and coins. That's what Meowth in the Pokemon games is best known for. I also want to see some Team Rocket presence in Meowth's moveset. That's what Meowth in the anime is best known for. I always felt that a composite character based on the Pokemon games and the anime would be an ideal compromise.

I was thinking that maybe many of Meowth's moves may involve coins in the same vein as Pikachu's moves involving electricity and Greninja's moves involving water. And when Meowth hits his opponents or when Meowth gets hit, coins fly out as if they are in a Coin Match. I got that idea from Pokemon Pinball.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was thinking that if Pokemon ever get an Assist Trophy, I would love it to be Team Rocket from Pokemon Yellow. Jessie and James both summon Arbok and Weezing. The two Poison-type Pokemon team up and attack opponents. Arbok would wrap around the opponent and then Weezing would do what it does in Melee to that opponent.

About Meowth's moveset... I know what I want to see... scratches and coins. That's what Meowth in the Pokemon games is best known for. I also want to see some Team Rocket presence in Meowth's moveset. That's what Meowth in the anime is best known for. I always felt that a composite character based on the Pokemon games and the anime would be an ideal compromise.

I was thinking that maybe many of Meowth's moves may involve coins in the same vein as Pikachu's moves involving electricity and Greninja's moves involving water. And when Meowth hits his opponents or when Meowth gets hit, coins fly out as if they are in a Coin Match. I got that idea from Pokemon Pinball.
Yes, of course, the thief trick moves would all consist of pounching and scratching at opponents.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Because Meowth has always been one of my favorite POKEMON, I support him.
He got an Alolan form, and is part of the first generation (if it's an advantage or not is difficult to say). Plus one of the mascots with Pikachu.
Meowth, that's right !

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This might be unpopular, but this thread shouldn't need to exist because Meowth should've been in 64, NOT that damned singing Marshmallow. But alas, here we are. Support. Meowth, anime or no anime, is one the most iconic Pokemon there is. That's right.
Keep in mind Meowth wouldn't have gotten in regardless of :4jigglypuff: because they didn't have enough time to develop more completely unique characters. Jigglypuff reused a lot from Kirby and was enjoying decent popularity at the time even if she wasn't as big as Pikachu or Meowth.
(As a side note :4luigi:borrowed a lot from:4mario:and :4falcon::4samus:shared a lot as well.)
And even if they did have a little extra time, we already know which characters Sakurai had in mind being :4bowser::4dedede::4marth:and:4mewtwo: So even if he went with another Pokemon for a 13th character, it wouldn't have been :052:

The long held claim that Meowth was considered for the original Super Smash Bros. has long since been proven false as well as no evidence has ever been found.

Puff is a relatively easy addition that doesn't affect the inclusion of other characters. Meowth's chances are solely reliant on his current merits, which he does have plenty of. Problem is that now he has more competition than ever with current gen Pokemon being favored over including more Generation I Pokemon.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth's chances are solely reliant on his current merits, which he does have plenty of. Problem is that now he has more competition than ever with current gen Pokemon being favored over including more Generation I Pokemon.
I'm hoping Alolan Meowth helps a bit... considering Alolan Form Pokémon were promoted as if they were current gen Pokémon.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm hoping Alolan Meowth helps a bit... considering Alolan Form Pokémon were promoted as if they were current gen Pokémon.
Thanks to Team Rocket's Meowth in the anime, it'll always be relevant, and Alolan Meowth and Persian helped bring more attention to it in the actual games, but I don't think any of the Alolan Form Kanto Pokemon are going to picked as Gen VII Alola reps. That'll come down to the Gen VII starters, one of the Lycanroc forms, Tapu Koko, etc.

That said, Gen I has likewise always been very popular and it still gets plenty of support and exposure. Much like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl who was relevant due to the Gen I remakes, Gen VII included a lot of Gen I content so Kanto's been brought back to the forefront. Meowth's chance depends on whether they work on a new game now and allow another Gen I Pokemon due to current relevance, or whether Gen I remains relevant in the next game.

Putting it bluntly, Meowth's chances have always been very low, that's still the case now and it will likely remain as such in the future, but if they ever go back for another Gen I Pokemon he seems like a prime contender now that we have these three accounted for :4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yup. Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and I guess Lucario are must-haves while Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Greninja are bonus extras. I just wish that Meowth is one of those bonus extras in at least one Smash game. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom