• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon remake is pretty fun. I liked it and I got to pretend it is Meowth’s own game. It is also my first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. As to whether it will be my first or only game remains to be seen.

After all, I didn’t get Super Mystery Dungeon since the starters were nothing but starters, Pikachu, and Riolu. That’s it? Pass! I like the remake, not only because of Meowth but also because it gave other non-starter Pokémon not named Pikachu like Skitty, Machop, Psyduck, and Cubone a chance to be the main character.

Let’s hope they remake Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (let’s call it Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers DX) for the Switch... as it did have Meowth plus Sinnoh starters (relevant again thanks to Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl and Pokémon Legends Arceus) plus newcomers (at the time) like Vulpix, Phanpy, Shinx, and Munchlax. Maybe it could be my second game.

Oh! Just imagine if they made a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game and it has Meowth, Alolan Meowth, and Galarian Meowth as possible starters along with new starters and non-starter Pokémon. And then it could be possible to have two Meowth on the same team (player and partner) since they are all different types. I’m getting ahead of myself...

So yeah. I liked the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon remake enough to dream about new remakes and new games. And it is all thanks to Meowth for motivating me to try a new Pokémon spin-off game.
I'd really recommend Explorers of Sky, though unfortunately Meowth is only available as a partner in that one. Unless you use some cheating device or edit some things on emulator to make him your starter, he still works fine if you make him a starter since he has the necessary portraits.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So...! We just watched that Pyra / Mythra presentation today.

Sakurai originally planned to have Rex & Pyra / Rex & Mythra in Smash like a mix of Ice Climbers and Zelda / Sheik but he scrapped that idea because "getting a simple duo like Ice Climbers to work was already pushing the boundaries of what we could do in this game". What Sakurai had in mind for Rex & Pyra / Rex & Mythra was the same idea I had for Meowth & Ekans / Meowth & Koffing.

Hmm... it looks like the Ice Climbers idea is off the table. But lucky me, there are still two team fighter ideas that could feasibly work: Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt.

Meowth could be the Rosalina and Ekans / Koffing could take turns as the Luma. Or... Meowth could be the Duck Hunt Dog and Ekans / Koffing could take turns as the Duck Hunt Duck.

The Rosalina & Luma idea would make Meowth a puppet fighter that "summons" Ekans and Koffing to assist him.

The Duck Hunt idea would make Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing a team fighter but they cannot get separated like the Ice Climbers can.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
So...! We just watched that Pyra / Mythra presentation today.

Sakurai originally planned to have Rex & Pyra / Rex & Mythra in Smash like a mix of Ice Climbers and Zelda / Sheik but he scrapped that idea because "getting a simple duo like Ice Climbers to work was already pushing the boundaries of what we could do in this game". What Sakurai had in mind for Rex & Pyra / Rex & Mythra was the same idea I had for Meowth & Ekans / Meowth & Koffing.

Hmm... it looks like the Ice Climbers idea is off the table. But lucky me, there are still two team fighter ideas that could feasibly work: Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt.

Meowth could be the Rosalina and Ekans / Koffing could take turns as the Luma. Or... Meowth could be the Duck Hunt Dog and Ekans / Koffing could take turns as the Duck Hunt Duck.

The Rosalina & Luma idea would make Meowth a puppet fighter that "summons" Ekans and Koffing to assist him.

The Duck Hunt idea would make Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing a team fighter but they cannot get separated like the Ice Climbers can.
couldn't they just be a 2nd Pokemon Trainer? Meowth just sits in the background until you switch to him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
couldn't they just be a 2nd Pokemon Trainer? Meowth just sits in the background until you switch to him.
I have thought about that many times.... but how would Ekans and Koffing fight in Smash without arms to do the punching and grabbing and throwing? That's why I had Meowth be the main fighter and Ekans and Koffing as his tag team partners.

And it is still a second Pokemon Trainer because Jessie and James are in the background taking turns sending their Pokemon to assist Meowth.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have thought about that many times.... but how would Ekans and Koffing fight in Smash without arms to do the punching and grabbing and throwing? That's why I had Meowth be the main fighter and Ekans and Koffing as his tag team partners.

And it is still a second Pokemon Trainer because Jessie and James are in the background taking turns sending their Pokemon to assist Meowth.
head buts and tail whips?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Well it's likely more so just not having 2 controllable fighters on the screen at once, and there's a lot of ways you can really go about doing Team Rocket/Meowth, shouldn't prove too much of an issue.
Personally I just don't find it necessary to make full movesets for the Ekans/Koffing line, they work better as supports imo, same for Wobbuffet ofc.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interesting.

So Ash Ketchum is not canon in the Pokémon video games... and yet Jessie and James and the talking Meowth are canon in Pokémon video games as evidenced in Pokémon Let’s Go, Pokémon Masters, and Pokémon GO.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Interesting.

So Ash Ketchum is not canon in the Pokémon video games... and yet Jessie and James and the talking Meowth are canon in Pokémon video games as evidenced in Pokémon Let’s Go, Pokémon Masters, and Pokémon GO.

that's because Ash is the anime equivalent of Red, but Jessie & James have no game equivalent

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Interesting.

Wonder when they'll add Wobbuffet to their main series party (we've seen him associated with them in some spin offs, arcade stuff etc iirc but not the main games).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting.

well they did float the idea around that all Pokemon games are in their own worlds anyway

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
probably if they appear in Let's Go Johto
I hope so! And then a Meowth & Wobbuffet team would be a valid option that has basis on the Pokémon video games. Meowth and Team Rocket (Jessie and James, not generic Grunts) needs more main roles in Pokémon video games so they wouldn’t be exclusively based on the Pokémon anime. They need more loopholes to get around the “no anime” rule.

Maybe Let’s Go Johto might be based on Pokémon Crystal just like Pokémon Let’s Go is based on Pokémon Yellow. Maybe they might be titled Let’s Go Suicune and Let’s Go Celebi? I doubt that... maybe Let’s Go Pichu and Let’s Go Togepi?

Briwler

Smash Rookie
Hi, long time reader and first time poster here 👋
I'd also like to see Team Rocket's Meowth join Smash, but I thought about a moveset that could represent a lot of Team Rocket's Pokémon across the generations. If they go for an anime character, why not go fully anime with it?

Since Meowth isn't the strongest fighter out there (barring a few exceptional moments) and the Team Rocket Trio doesn't mind cheating, Meowth could call Jessie and James's Pokémon for help.
Neutral Special: Weezing (Smog)
Meowth would hold Weezing above his head and throw it at opponents if the button is released. The longer you hold B, the more damage Weezing causes and the bigger the cloud of Smog gets. Opponents will take damage while being inside the cloud of Smog and will be poisoned.

Side Special: Carnivine (Bullet Seed and Bite)
Carnivine appears in front of Meowth and starts shooting it Bullet Seeds at the opponents. The seeds don't cause much damage, but after finishing the Bullet Seed attack, Carnivine will snap forward, trying to bite opponents.

Up Special: Woobat (Air Slash)
Meowth clings on to Woobat who flies upwards, kinda like the Duck Hunt duck. Before Meowth has to let go and enters free fall, Woobat uses Air Slash, releasing two sawblade-like projectiles underneath it which fly diagonally from it.

Down Special: Wobbuffet (Counter and Mirror Coat)
Wobbuffet appears in front of Meowth, doing what it does best: Countering attacks and reflecting projectiles. Meowth has to watch its back, since attacks from behind can still hit him.
Forward Smash: Cacnea (Needle Arm)
Cacnea appears in front of Meowth, punching opponents with its thorny arms.

Up Smash: Gourgeist (Brutal Swing)
I know, Jessie's Gourgeist never used this move, but I got no idea which other move could describe this. Gourgeist swings its hairlike arms above its head, kinda like you move your arms for jumping jacks. The most damage will be dealt when opponents get hit while the arms are touching above Gourgeist's head.

Down Smash: Mareanie (Knock Off)
Mareanie will slam two of its tentacles to the ground. Opponents hit by this attack will lose their items.

Grabs: Arbok (Wrap)
Arbok will wrap itself around the opponent, trapping it. The pummel is Meowth scratching the opponents face. Like the rope snake, Arbok can be used as a tether recovery.

Neutral Attack, Tilts, and Aerials
These attacks will be performed by Meowth himself, using his trusty claws to use variations of Scratch and Fury Swipes.
Final Smash: The Meowth Balloon
Meowth sprints forwards, slashing his opponents with his claws. Every opponent hit will be trapped in a cutscene:
Meowth jumps into the ascending Meowth Balloon where Jessie and James are already waiting for him. The trio starts to throw bombs, just like in the episode "Pallet Party Panic". After a few seconds Bewear appears, jumping up to the balloon and taking Meowth back to the battlefield.

I know a moveset like this would never be implemented in Smash since it relies to much on the anime, but I still like the idea. This moveset also represents Team Rocket in each of the series (Arbok, Weezing, and Wobbuffet for the Original Series; Cacnea for Advanced Generations; Carnivine for Diamond and Pearl; Woobat for Best Wishes; Gourgeist for XY and finally Mareanie for Sun and Moon) barring Journeys, in which Team Rocket just uses the Rocket Prize Master instead of their own Pokémon.

What do you think about this idea?

(I'm sorry if there are any mistakes, English isn't my mother tongue.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting.

This is weird, since Ash-Greninja is legitimately a thing too. But being an alternate universe character would fix that, I guess? That or it's just a bonus and not "canon" to any game is another way to put it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is weird, since Ash-Greninja is legitimately a thing too. But being an alternate universe character would fix that, I guess? That or it's just a bonus and not "canon" to any game is another way to put it.
im not sure anyone at game freak is all that bothered

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
im not sure anyone at game freak is all that bothered
I actually misread the tweet anyway. He didn't talk about canon. Ash himself isn't in the game universe, Ash-Greninja is. Ash-Greninja is canon, and Ash himself has related to the game universe canonically, so there isn't a contradiction to his statement.

It just comes off as awkward when people can see the canon crossover bit(that, and the term universe is used, not canon. There's 4 universes by now. Let's go, Original Game Timeline, Anime Timeline, Remake Timeline. Regular Go might be an actual 4th regular Game Universe, and there would be technically others thanks to various spin-offs. But yeah).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... Meowth did surprisingly well with the votes in this Smash Infinite project thread (link). Six more votes and people outside this Meowth support thread could have been discussing Meowth by now but alas.

#1 - 28 - Grovyle & Shiny Celebi
#2 - 25 - Mimikyu
#3 - 23 - Meowth

#4 - 13 - Chandelure
#5 - 12 - Serperior
#6 - 11 - Zoroark

#7 - 10 - Scizor
#8 - 9 - Toxtricity
#9 - 8 - Eevee

#10 - 5 - Cinderace, Decidueye, Gardevoir, Inteleon
#11 - 4 - Weavile
#12 - 3 - Sceptile, Trubbish, Zacian & Zamazenta

#13 - 2 - Appletun, Flygon, Lugia
#14 - 1 - Kommo-o, Lycanroc, Melmetal

Still... it gives me some hope knowing that many people actually want Meowth in Smash.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
So... Meowth did surprisingly well with the votes in this Smash Infinite project thread (link). Six more votes and people outside this Meowth support thread could have been discussing Meowth by now but alas.

#1 - 28 - Grovyle & Shiny Celebi
#2 - 25 - Mimikyu
#3 - 23 - Meowth

#4 - 13 - Chandelure
#5 - 12 - Serperior
#6 - 11 - Zoroark

#7 - 10 - Scizor
#8 - 9 - Toxtricity
#9 - 8 - Eevee

#10 - 5 - Cinderace, Decidueye, Gardevoir, Inteleon
#11 - 4 - Weavile
#12 - 3 - Sceptile, Trubbish, Zacian & Zamazenta

#13 - 2 - Appletun, Flygon, Lugia
#14 - 1 - Kommo-o, Lycanroc, Melmetal

Still... it gives me some hope knowing that many people actually want Meowth in Smash.
I'm hoping my Meowth PM mod (still in wip) can convince people Meowth can have a creative moveset (since I saw some doubting the potential on the thread)

Last edited:
Top Bottom