• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That one character you just hate

Transform987

Smash Rookie
For whatever reason, whether it be that you can't seem to beat them or how people play them eludes you, you just hate that one character.

Personally, it's marth for me. I think the combination of them being a pretty good character with moves that look identical makes them hard to fight for me. Unlike, say, link who is a bit easier to read (He using kicks in his ariels and swings his sword in very specific ways) Marth's moves just like the same. They are all wide sword swings. I just cannot seem to win against Marths.

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on the matter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I too have had some very difficult Marth matchups, especially in Melee. He just outranges every attack Yoshi has bar the egg throw.

Kirby handed me my first massive loss in Smash 64, but I've forgiven him since. I was just new and got screwed on 99 stock Smash by a Kirbycide when we down to the last life. Somehow me in the mouth counted as entering the blast zone before Kirby. Much mad.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I don't think I've ever had a positive fighting match experience against a Sheik before. They're like my Kryptonite. Cloud and Bayonetta I can somewhat handle, but Sheiks absolutely destroy me.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
:4zelda:

Not particularly can't beat, just never a good time to be had playing or against in basically every game.

:4jigglypuff:is a close second for similar reasons, though I do like playing as them sometimes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Small fast animals like Pikach or Diddy Kong or Athletic women like Sheik or Bayonetta.

As an Ike main, playing against these charactets is suffering.

Transform987

Smash Rookie
As someone who played Zelda for a long time and made people very angry. I can understand the frustration. Teleportation around can get annoying, especially with the knowledge that she is a bad character.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I cannot stand facing :4mario: he's a real pain in the neck, even his Ai is way more annoying than every other character. I normally love this guy but his Smash 4 version really ticks me off.

For some reason :4zelda:Ai knows how to get under my skin and irritate me, if you make a mistake around her she might catch you with her f/b air or up b move.

Last edited:

Transform987

Smash Rookie
I know exactly what you mean about the Mario AI, it just seems annoying. Not hard, just annoying. It's one of those characters where the AI is more annoying to deal with then a player. I think it's the combination of projectiles and the ai always seeming to know the perfect moment when to cape, and the AI uses the cape very erratically.

Same with Zelda, I'd much rather play against an actual Zelda player. It's a great example of something doing something so bad it's good, cause it just catches you off guard. Zelda players normally try to keep a bit of distance but the Zelda AI is so head forward. It just charges in there.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
:4diddy:because I'm tired of getting banana spammed all the time and seeing tourney matches come to that
:4bayonetta: to a lesser extent, at least a Bayo on Bayo match is borderline art.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
The one character who makes me genuinely support witch hunts.

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I freaking loathe fighting :ultmario: and :ultmarth:/:ultlucina:'s. Can't punish Mario easily and Marth/Lucina enjoys walling you to death until you die from losing your jumps or somthing.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
:rosalina: an unstoppable wall of hatred and evil that only leaves suffering and the dry husks of devoured souls in its wake

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultcloud: - a "good" one will just charge limit until you approach, and then **** you for approaching his 10 ft sword.

I can usually beat them, but it's annoying and feels like an uphill battle at every part of the match, except when he's offstage with no limit :)

Last edited:

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
:ultlucina:As a Mario main who used to be a Roy main, this character has been disgustingly OP against my mains. Maybe I just suck though.

D

Deleted member

:4bayonetta: I just don't know what to do against her, and even if the player isnt that good, I still struggle in general with her. Also her hurtstun screams are really annoying.

:rosalina:Again, a hard matchup.

:4duckhunt::4pacman::4olimar: Dont even get me started.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I main Samus, so here are the following.

:ultbayonetta:
Unless you're a so-so Bayonetta, chances are I'm not winning, even when properly SDI'ing. Every attack she performs leads into a combo, or that's the impression I get. She doesn't have to work for a win, so even if you manage to escape her Witch Twist combo, you've already taken a lot of damage and have to work at turning the match around.

:ultcloud:
The same as Bayonetta, if you're a so-so Cloud, I might have a chance at winning, especially if I'm playing properly. Otherwise, simple u-air combo, quick and powerful b-air, safe and quick aerials is pretty ridiculous. I don't care if Cloud has a ****ty recovery. That doesn't matter when he has stage control anyway. So much for balancing him.

:ultdiddy:
I find myself running away a lot. Annoying.

:ultduckhunt:
I'm not interested in camping.

:ultmario:
There are Mario players, and then there are really good Mario players. Mario's Cape is really my biggest issue. Without it, he'd be easier to deal with. I could break out of his combo set-up, but if I'm dealing with someone's Mario, and that person switches to another character like Luigi, I'm relieved.

:ultmegaman:
Mega Man is mega ****ing annoying. His lemons are the bane of my existence. And now they increased the range of his lemons in SSBU. Thanks.

:ultgnw:
There's so much wrong with Mr. Game & Watch. I feel like Mr. Game & Watch needs to be nerfed a bit. I think because he wasn't played as often on For Glory, he bypassed any potential nerf. Why isn't down throw to Judge fixed? Sure, you have an RNG, but it's still possible to get two kills in a row just by performing this. Then there's the fact that Oil Panic is safe and can kill you early. I was killed recently as Samus from an FG Mr. Game & Watch. Dash to Oil Panic. I guess that's a true combo. It doesn't help that if Oil Panic is full and you take a stock off, it remains full. Mr. Lame Man Watch.

:ultolimar:
Pikmin. Enough said.

:ultpacman:
There's that wall again. How boring.

:ultrosalina:
Carried by Luma. Enough said.

:ultroy:
Poor character design. Tilts can kill with ease.

:ultsonic:
Too fast. Boring matches. Why give a character so much speed and kill power?

:ultyoshi:
You'd think Samus would have an easier time against Yoshi, but his Egg Toss is too damn good. It's difficult to charge Charge Shot. You'd think Sakurai would give Samus the same treatment he had planned for Cloud. If Charge Shot can be easily stopped with a shield or dodge, or if it can be knocked out of as Samus is about to shoot or when she's charging, maybe her Charge Shot needs to charge faster, or it needs to start killing better than Captain Falcon's f-air. I loathe Yoshi.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
If you play as :ultpacman: on For Glory in any method similar to what I do, then sometimes, it feels like any character can do you in if their players really know what they're doing.

:ultmario::ultvillager::ultmewtwo: Love these dudes, but they're the natural enemies of any projectile-heavy character

:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultcloud::ultlink: Swordsmen. Ya can't live with em', but I can sure as heck live without em'

:ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultzss: It's no contest, save for some days when my avoidance skills are above-average.

:ultness::ultlucas::ultpikachu::ulttoonlink::ultdiddy: basically anyone small & speedy

to an extent:ultkingdedede: Gordos. Gordos everywhere.
Special shoutouts to :ultolimar: & especially :ultrob:. To quote a Youtube video I watched once (think it was an Alpharad vid, maybe), you don't see them often, but when you do, it's a massacre.

Last edited:

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
I despise lucario because of his ugly nose

edit: also his freaking jorts

Last edited:

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
I am a marth main, and I hate that ditto. It's like I have a mental block when the opponent has the exact same options that I do. I don't have the same problem in the fox ditto which is weird.

TrendanBrendan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-7910-5030
Switch FC
SW 0143 3505 0633
I don't understand Wii Fit Trainer. I can't play as them, and any time I see someone MAIN or even LIKE playing as one, I have to wonder why and how they got to that point.

D

Deleted member

I main Samus, so here are the following.

:ultbayonetta:
Unless you're a so-so Bayonetta, chances are I'm not winning, even when properly SDI'ing. Every attack she performs leads into a combo, or that's the impression I get. She doesn't have to work for a win, so even if you manage to escape her Witch Twist combo, you've already taken a lot of damage and have to work at turning the match around.

:ultcloud:
The same as Bayonetta, if you're a so-so Cloud, I might have a chance at winning, especially if I'm playing properly. Otherwise, simple u-air combo, quick and powerful b-air, safe and quick aerials is pretty ridiculous. I don't care if Cloud has a ****ty recovery. That doesn't matter when he has stage control anyway. So much for balancing him.

:ultdiddy:
I find myself running away a lot. Annoying.

:ultduckhunt:
I'm not interested in camping.

:ultmario:
There are Mario players, and then there are really good Mario players. Mario's Cape is really my biggest issue. Without it, he'd be easier to deal with. I could break out of his combo set-up, but if I'm dealing with someone's Mario, and that person switches to another character like Luigi, I'm relieved.

:ultmegaman:
Mega Man is mega ****ing annoying. His lemons are the bane of my existence. And now they increased the range of his lemons in SSBU. Thanks.

:ultgnw:
There's so much wrong with Mr. Game & Watch. I feel like Mr. Game & Watch needs to be nerfed a bit. I think because he wasn't played as often on For Glory, he bypassed any potential nerf. Why isn't down throw to Judge fixed? Sure, you have an RNG, but it's still possible to get two kills in a row just by performing this. Then there's the fact that Oil Panic is safe and can kill you early. I was killed recently as Samus from an FG Mr. Game & Watch. Dash to Oil Panic. I guess that's a true combo. It doesn't help that if Oil Panic is full and you take a stock off, it remains full. Mr. Lame Man Watch.

:ultolimar:
Pikmin. Enough said.

:ultpacman:
There's that wall again. How boring.

:ultrosalina:
Carried by Luma. Enough said.

:ultroy:
Poor character design. Tilts can kill with ease.

:ultsonic:
Too fast. Boring matches. Why give a character so much speed and kill power?

:ultyoshi:
You'd think Samus would have an easier time against Yoshi, but his Egg Toss is too damn good. It's difficult to charge Charge Shot. You'd think Sakurai would give Samus the same treatment he had planned for Cloud. If Charge Shot can be easily stopped with a shield or dodge, or if it can be knocked out of as Samus is about to shoot or when she's charging, maybe her Charge Shot needs to charge faster, or it needs to start killing better than Captain Falcon's f-air. I loathe Yoshi.
And even if you di out of Bayo witch twist, your gonna back aired which is more damage or even a kill sometimes. Bayo is Hell itself tbh.

You dislike all the females? Dang...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never downloaded her, nor have I ever fought anyone who used her, but Bayonetta would be among the characters whom I really dislike.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Ugliest character is Yoshi outside of Melee. I love his look in Melee more than any of his other appearances.

Rizen

Smash Legend
In SSB4 I don't really have one. As a Link player it always sucks to play vs Sheik or Fox but those a just bad MUs. I guess DK's always stressful to play vs because ding dong.

DanTheMunchlax782

Smash Rookie
Cloud and Bayonetta. They're just pay to win. Whenever I see someone use them online I can just tell this person isn't very skilled and uses them as a crutch. They're obnoxious to play against. Simple as that. But I gotta be honest. Bowser is my real weakness.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Cloud and Bayonetta. They're just pay to win. Whenever I see someone use them online I can just tell this person isn't very skilled and uses them as a crutch. They're obnoxious to play against. Simple as that. But I gotta be honest. Bowser is my real weakness.
As a Cloud main, I will argue that isn't necessarily true, but it oftentimes is for Cloud. FG Bayo players all can all just disconnect for all I care.

DanTheMunchlax782

Smash Rookie
Some people play Cloud and Bayonetta for real but most are 8 or 9 year old children who heard they were good. I think top tiers are jokes but I fear low tiers. Because it takes a lot of skill to master a low tier character. Give me a Zelda main and give me a Bayonetta main, I will respect the former much more than the latter. If you play Cloud because you actually enjoy playing him, that's good. Most people just hear he's good and don't understand him which in turn ruin my respect for high tiers online. They're just hopping on the bandwagon. I play Roy because I love playing Roy. Same with Link and Charizard. They aren't S Tier but so what? Tiers mean little to me. Play who works for you. So I guess to discuss the characters I truly hate, it's any character being played simply for tier placement alone.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:ultmario: I can beat him.. I’m just sick of fighting him. His moveset is boring to watch, his grap up throw up tilt combo is just annoying. He always always goes for the spike attack sigh.

:ultkingdedede: He just keeps coming back. With a recovery with no skill to use. :ultmegaman::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultsonic:Fall under the same category.

:ultdarkpit::ultpit::4charizard: Love that side B

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Cloud.

I can deal with Mario, Falcon, Link, Bayo and Sonic. But something inherent about Cloud, even beyond his dumb frame data/hitboxes, makes my blood boil sometimes.

I knew from the instant I saw his trailer he was going to be stupid good (possibly on purpose) so that all the FG players would buy him and make you regret ever experimenting against them, so you have to play SUPER SERIOUS against every Cloud or get taunted. I hate how huge and lingering and fast and disjointed his hitboxes are, and I hate how much utility almost all of his moves have at all %s, especially as a Shulk/Lucas player.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone who plays as Samus, i dislike the Mario players who only spam the yellow cape.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sonic mains get pretty annoying when they spam up B and p air, you die at 70, and they use his obnoxious taunts. I have almost no respect for Sonic mains who do this, second only to Bayo mains.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
:ultzss:Zero Suit Samus
I hate how she can just do so much and can ladder you into next year if you just make one little mistake. Considering my main is Dedede the MU is unbearable as she can basically do whatever she wants and still give us complete hell unless we can play at 110% and have more skill than the player using her.

:ultsonic:Sonic
Way too fast and can basically stall and camp you out. Constant spin dashes and cancelling. Any FG Sonic essentially just camps and uses the same exact tactics and tends to run away A LOT cause they can abuse his speed and spin cancels. I probably wouldn't hate him as much if I found good Sonic players, though.

Honorable Mentions: :ultsamus: , :ultmario: , :ultmewtwo: , :ultwario: , :ultyoshi:
I say honorable mention(s) cause in truth I don't truly hate these characters, especially when they're played well by good players; however when they're played by bad players who try to camp/spam with them (Samus, Mewtwo, and Yoshi) or try to use the same exact tactics over and over and over (Warios Bike and Marios constantly failed Fair attempts whenever he gets you off stage + Grabs) I get pretty annoyed and find them to be very, very draining to play against.

:ultkingdedede: He just keeps coming back. With a recovery with no skill to use.
That's not exactly true. While our recovery can help us survive due to also being a heavy weight it also isn't all that special.

Dedede is a bit easier to edgeguard than you might think. We can't exactly land on stage with Up B (unless the opponent is really, really stupid I guess), and we have by far the easiest 2-Frame in the game. If a player knows how to 2-Frame, Edge Trump, and knows exactly how to exploit our recovery (the super armor runs out at the peak of the jump) we can be pretty screwed unless we play INSANELY smart at that point and choose how we recover wisely while not panicking.

So it does require at least good judgement to use. It's just a lot of people make the mistake of trying to hit us off stage or not exploiting our easy 2-Frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom