• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetra for Smash Ultimate. Happy 35 years for the Legend of Zelda!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tetra has always been one of my personal most wanted characters for Smash as she is probably my favorite female Nintendo character. Sadly, I feel like she has no chance of coming to Smash Ultimate, specially right now.

Found this awhile ago, bth:View attachment 266459

Also, I bought Hyrule Warriors mostly just because of the Wind Waker story part, finally got to play as Tetra and dear lord, I can’t deny that Tecmo really screwed up her voice, hope I’m not the only one who feels that way.
She almost made it into Brawl as she was one of the cut Forbidden 7. I wish her, Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda would have made it into the roster back then. We were so close.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
She almost made it into Brawl as she was one of the cut Forbidden 7. I wish her, Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda would have made it into the roster back then. We were so close.
Oof trust me I know. She was referred as “Toon Sheik”, but it definitely was her. It really saddens me how she is probably one of those characters (like Balloon Fighter and Meowth) that were only considered... and now it’s probably too late for them to catch the boat. *sigh* really wish she had more support.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oof trust me I know. She was referred as “Toon Sheik”, but it definitely was her. It really saddens me how she is probably one of those characters (like Balloon Fighter and Meowth) that were only considered... and now it’s probably too late for her to catch the boat. *sigh*
You know we really don't know for a fact if it was Toon Sheik or Tetra but I like to think it was Tetra honestly.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
You know we really don't know for a fact if it was Toon Sheik or Tetra but I like to think it was Tetra honestly.
I mean, there actually never was a Toon Sheik, so unless Sakurai would be willing to come up with a specific Zelda character just for Smash (which sounds highly unlikely and also farfetched to me), then I’m sure as hell that had to be Tetra.
It’s important to note that it wouldn’t be the only time Sakurai made a mistake when talking about a character, as he also said Kaptain K.rool was K.rool’s brother (if I’m not mistaken), which is actually just a different persona of King K.rool himself

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, there actually never was a Toon Sheik, so unless Sakurai would be willing to come up with a specific Zelda character just for Smash (which sounds highly unlikely and also farfetched to me), then I’m sure as hell that had to be Tetra.
It’s important to note that it wouldn’t be the only time Sakurai made a mistake when talking about a character, as he also said Kaptain K.rool was K.rool’s brother (if I’m not mistaken), which is actually just a different persona of King K.rool himself
arguments could be made that sakurai is not the biggest zelda fan or indeed dk fan

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So it appears spirits might get a promotion. I still feel like she’s so unlikely, but hey it’s something.

On another note, I finally finished the Hyrule Warriors Wind Waker story mode (which was the last chapter), pretty good and interesting, I love how even King Daphnes is part of it. The only thing I felt was really missing was Toon Link (and to a bigger extent, Aryll).
But anyway, if Sakurai were to add her, he’d probably base himself on Hyrule Warriors to come up with a moveset.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
he’d probably base himself on Hyrule Warriors to come up with a moveset.
One would hope, but SSBU doesn't acknowledge Hyrule Warriors at all, not even using Young Link's new voice clips.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
One would hope, but SSBU doesn't acknowledge Hyrule Warriors at all, not even using Young Link's new voice clips.
I don’t see why that should stop Sakurai from trying the game out, at least for some inspiration.

What’s sad is that I can see a lot of people getting mad at her inclusion, like with the announcement of the new ARMS character.
I miss when it was perfectly normal and acceptable to add Nintendo characters in Smash, since this is a freakin Nintendo game, but it seems people only care about random third party additions, nowadays.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not Tetra but here is gameplay of Toon Zelda in the mod Super Smash Bros Ex Remix:

She has her own unique animations and everything. There are other characters in this mod like Isaac, Lyn, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, freaking Metal Face, freaking Sans, ect as well as characters from Smash 4, Ultimate, and Legacy XP.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It's not Tetra but here is gameplay of Toon Zelda in the mod Super Smash Bros Ex Remix:

She her own unique animations and everything. There are other characters in this mod like Isaac, Lyn, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, freaking Metal Face, freaking Sans, ect as well as characters from Smash 4, Ultimate, and Legacy XP.
It’s pretty nice, but it’s not really Tetra. I know they’re the same, but they’re still far too different from each other. Even I keep forgetting that they’re the same person.

Wish they could make Tetra with her own moveset and animations, I think they could easily use Toon Link’s model for that matter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s pretty nice, but it’s not really Tetra. I know they’re the same, but they’re still far too different from each other. Even I keep forgetting that they’re the same person.

Wish they could make Tetra with her own moveset and animations, I think they could easily use Toon Link’s model for that matter.
I agree. Seeing all these other insane characters in there like Metal Face, Sephiroth, Zoro, Isaac, Sans, ect Tetra should be a cake walk for the Ex Remix programmers.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I agree. Seeing all these other insane characters in there like Metal Face, Sephiroth, Zoro, Isaac, Sans, ect Tetra should be a cake walk for the Ex Remix programmers.
Exactly! She along with Dixie Kong are a no brainer, when it comes to mods.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly! She along with Dixie Kong are a no brainer, when it comes to mods.
Yeah, I don't know why Dixie hasn't popped up in a mod yet or K. Rool. Especially K. Rool since he has been a popular requested character for years. It's kind of odd it's like there is no DKC love in the Brawl modding community.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wowza! This place got a surge of activity.

It's great to see an increasing amount of Tetra support again. Gotta update that supporters list, now. I'd like to update the signature/stock icons as well but as far as I know the original images are still broken.

To the point regarding Toon Zelda, I used to be more of an advocate for her rather than Tetra (which is sort of a technicality since whether or not you're advocating for Tetra as well depends on which Toon Zelda we're talking about, here; there's technically at least two of them, one being one and the same as Tetra from Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, while the other is her great great granddaughter from Spirit Tracks) but over the years I came to value Tetra as a character more and support her first and foremost. Her personality's great, her character arc is amazing, and she's got boatloads of potential for a pirate-based moveset. I'd be content if we merely got a Toon Zelda, but Tetra's the one I really think deserves to get in. If by some crazy chance at this point that we got both, however? That would satisfy both fanbases, so no reason to complain there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That’s just sad! It feels pretty lonely having only Toon Link in there. :(
It's pretty crazy to think that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were added in the last second within like the last 2 to 3 months of Brawl's development. The Forbidden 7 was almost the Forbidden 10 and Jigglypuff one of the Original 12 was nearly cut.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It's pretty crazy to think that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were added in the last second within like the last 2 to 3 months of Brawl's development. The Forbidden 7 was almost the Forbidden 10 and Jigglypuff one of the Original 12 was nearly cut.
Damn I didn’t know about Jigglypuff. The idea alone of having her (or any other member of the original 12 crew) is pretty sacrilegious!

Also Sonic, if I’m not mistaken.
Oh well, at least we still got one of the toons in Smash, I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Damn I didn’t know about Jigglypuff. The idea alone of having her (or any other member of the original 12 crew) is pretty sacrilegious!

Also Sonic, if I’m not mistaken.
Oh well, at least we still got one of the toons in Smash, I guess.
sonic was a late addition in a much different sense

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I imagine the addition of Sonic was probably one of the reasons Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario got cut in Brawl. Sonic's inclusion took a bigger priority than some veterans return I imagine.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I’m gonna be honest. I support this. I honestly would love to see her in. I’d go as far to say as I want to have her in. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and Phantom Hourglass is my 4th. It’s just, we got Toon Link during Brawl. If they were gonna add another character from those games, it would be during Brawl or Smash 4. I honestly think she has no chance. And it’s not cause I don’t want her. I honestly do. But I don’t see it happening unless we somehow get a remake of Wind Waker, which is unlikely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I imagine the addition of Sonic was probably one of the reasons Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario got cut in Brawl. Sonic's inclusion took a bigger priority than some veterans return I imagine.
I actually think the Forbidden Seven minus Dixie (since we know she was scrapped from Diddy's moveset) were other characters they considered for the additional dev time Sonic granted them, but they didn't want to delay the game further.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
see jiggly, toon and wolf nearly didnt make it in but the game was delayed so they could add in sonic and its unclear if sonic's inclusion had an affect on any other characters do to when he was added
Yeah, I got it. The “Oh” meant something like “Well I didn’t know that”. Sorry if I weren’t clear enough.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’m gonna be honest. I support this. I honestly would love to see her in. I’d go as far to say as I want to have her in. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and Phantom Hourglass is my 4th. It’s just, we got Toon Link during Brawl. If they were gonna add another character from those games, it would be during Brawl or Smash 4. I honestly think she has no chance. And it’s not cause I don’t want her. I honestly do. But I don’t see it happening unless we somehow get a remake of Wind Waker, which is unlikely.
I'm predicting we will see a double pack port of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on the Switch together on one cart before Skyward Sword HD probably comes out next year on it's 10th anniversary. Both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD both came out on their 10th anniversaries so I expect Skyward Sword HD too as well if it happens.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hey in order to keep this thread alive for a little longer, I shall ask you guys this: Are you satisfied with Phantom Hourglass or would you rather have gotten the sequel that was initially planned to Wind Waker?

Personally, I feel like PH has a good story and charming new characters (like Lineback), but compared to Wind Waker, it’s a major downfall (at least in my opinion). The original concept kinda felt promising, not only would it be released on the Wii but if I remember correctly, it was gonna take place more on land (New Hyrule) rather than on the Ocean, and Toon Epona would’ve been a thing... the only idea that I didn’t enjoy was having Toon Link becoming an adult at some point in the game (I feel like it would be too weird). But yeah, adult Toon Link aside, I would definitely go with the scrapped version of the sequel.

Another thing I personally didn’t like about PH is that, at least in my point of view, it didn’t even give a proper and satisfying ending to the journey, I mean I wanna see Toon Link getting back to Granny and Aryll, dammit!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey in order to keep this thread alive for a little longer, I shall ask you guys this: Are you satisfied with Phantom Hourglass or would you rather have gotten the sequel that was initially planned to Wind Waker?

Personally, I feel like PH has a good story and charming new characters (like Lineback), but compared to Wind Waker, it’s a major downfall (at least in my opinion). The original concept kinda felt promising, not only would it be released on the Wii but if I remember correctly, it was gonna take place more on land (New Hyrule) rather than on the Ocean, and Toon Epona would’ve been a thing... the only idea that I didn’t enjoy was having Toon Link becoming an adult at some point in the game (I feel like it would be too weird). But yeah, adult Toon Link aside, I would definitely go with the scrapped version of the sequel.

Another thing I personally didn’t like about PH is that, at least in my point of view, it didn’t even give a proper and satisfying ending to the journey, I mean I wanna see Toon Link getting back to Granny and Aryll, dammit!
I would have preferred the original Wind Waker sequel for the Wii we never got as you said. I have never heard about it before, it sounds like it would have been an amazing game had it come to fruition.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I really liked Phantom Hourglass. Sure it's not as good as Wind Waker, but as its own thing I felt that it clicked. I especially enjoyed the structure where you were trying to get deeper and deeper into the one dungeon.

And of course Linebeck, he's the best.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
all zelda games are awesome there are no bad ones

and cite your source on the claim of a wind waker sequel planned for wii, doesnt seem to be any findable trace

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I also never knew about the planned Wind Waker 2. Would have been cool, but it sounds like they didn't get far at all in development. And yeah, the proportions of that art-style are not a good match for horseriding. We got Twilight Princess out of the deal, and Wind Waker got follow-ups anyway, so win-win.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't like Phantom Hourglass at all. Redoing the same dungeon over and over again is a terrible idea, and the only original thing is the controls, to which you get used to very quickly, and then it's just the routine. Tetra is totally wasted: she does worse than nothing, she plays the standard damzel is distress. Agreed, Linebeck is funny. But one kinda good character doesn't make a good game.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
all zelda games are awesome there are no bad ones
Well, I mean they still are officially licensed games that go by the name “the Legend of Zelda”...
0E97735C-0FF2-4B39-A57A-DE3F5C2E0A2A.jpeg

sounds more like they only had an idea an never began developing it
Well, it’s still something, nevertheless... they never confirmed if they already had concept art and stuff like that made. I take it they would’ve used the Wind Waker engine for the sequel. And all because some people just couldn’t appreciate how charming the cartoony art style truly was and still is, *SIGH*

I also never knew about the planned Wind Waker 2. Would have been cool, but it sounds like they didn't get far at all in development. And yeah, the proportions of that art-style are not a good match for horseriding. We got Twilight Princess out of the deal, and Wind Waker got follow-ups anyway, so win-win.
Hmm... they could’ve come up with a Yoshi like creature for Toon Link, it would go well with the art style, but yeah I guess you could say that at the end of the day. Still, I would kill for another 3D Toon-esque Zelda game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom