• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetra for Smash Ultimate. Happy 35 years for the Legend of Zelda!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Thanks ole King of Phantoms!

Not sure Sakurai posted the poll numbers - I think it was mostly about what characters were popular and popped out to him. Either way, a good sign for Tetra.

While US's reactions to Wind Waker were definitely controversial (even mine, back in the day - silly, silly Cap'n), that definitely wasn't the case for Japan. They ate that game up! After OoT's era (and before Breath of the Wild), director Aonuma's favorite Zelda game - Phantom Hourglass - was the absolute best selling game in the series, with Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks both running up a little below it. None of the other games come close. To Japan - Wind Waker era Legend of Zelda reigns supreme in popular mythos. It's part of the reason Tetra enjoys her lasting fame. Check out Oscar Lemaire's chart comparing Zelda game sales in Japan.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/french...ales-in-japan-since-majoras-mask-first-relea/

So really, it should hardly be a surprise at all that Legend of Zelda representation in Japan is gonna be all about them 'Toons. Serious Link with a serious face bores them to tears - cat eyes are where it's at! I mean, kudos for awesome taste: of all the big Zelda games, you had to fall in love with the one about pirates. I love you, Japan.

Honestly, it's hardly a surprise either that the biggest Zelda characters apart from Smash Bros. fighters that make their way around the mainstream market tend to be Tingle, Tetra, and Midna. Just like there's a reason our Zelda amiibo options, Super Mario Maker's playable Zelda sprites, Hyrule Warriors posterboys/girls, and Play Nintendo's own Legend of Zelda supporting cast webpages all tend to feature exactly the same select few family of characters.

What a nice, diverse bunch, they are! A green-capped guy with a shield and sword, a magic princess, an angry bearded guy in a cape, a ninja, a cartoony, cat-eyed kid what looks like a Peter Pan wannabe, an actual Peter Pan wannabe, a little imp and her wolf friend, and a lovable pirate. I'd Netflix that. They look fun! They look approachable! I'm going to buy that game for my kid!

I mean, just look at the main five cast members spotlighted on USA Hyrule Warriors website's front page: Link, Sheik, Tetra, Midna, Ganondorf. The warrior, the ninja, the pirate, the imp, and the dark lord. They look distinct, they act distinct, they are artistically distinct - they balance each other so well. Heck, Tetra just beat freaking Princess Zelda (and Skull Kid and Impa, for that matter) for front page spotlight. That's how well she's liked round these parts.
https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/ ("Choose from fan-favorite characters like Ganondorf, Tetra, Skull Kid, and Ravio")

The best part? This family of characters really started to coalesce into a big thing right around that '15-'16 sweet spot: Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker, Play Nintendo - you name it.

That Wind Waker became a cult favorite in US despite its unfairly un-receptive initial audience - is testament to the Toon Legend of Zelda series' lovability, permanence, and lucrativity to the brand. We've already seen Tetra's got lasting appeal in the US in the various polls I cited, more than a decade and a half past her original debut. Judging by where they put their money, if Japan was going to vote for a single Zelda character, odds are it's going to be someone from Phantom Hourglass, Wind Waker, or Spirit Tracks. And we know what all three of those games tend to have in common.

"Who now?"

Tetra/Toon Zelda's got a big US audience and a yuger Japanese audience. That means she's got cross-continental appeal. That means you cash in on her success, and that means you promote the **** out of her, with amiibos, with articles and websites introducing kids and new gamers to your franchise, with promotions, with action figures, with cameos in other characters' games, with entire advertising campaigns centered around that blessed godsend of a pirate princess to launch your new game for everyone's favorite handheld console.

Who else but Miss Tetra?

Glad I could win you over on her chances, King! It wouldn’t look it, but Tetra's odds are some of the best-looking in this here Smash Bros. balloting shindig. It's not a question of if Tetra's mainstream, or deserving, or wanted. It's a question of just how much. Considering most of her competition got assist'd or stage hazard'd already, most of what stands in her way is just a dearth of newcomers in general. Which is what we got echos for, if it comes to that. Metroid got two newcomers introduced in this game, and it'd received an original moveset introduced to Smash Bros. more recently than Zelda has. Honestly, I'm just waiting around for the announcement.

PS: A relevant observation for a common objection I've seen from detractors: Zelda and Tetra are treated as separate characters on the Japanese Zelda anthology website (and basically everywhere else). Which, given we're talking about the pirate girl who ditched the look, ditched the name, ditched the princess title, and ditched the Triforce of Wisdom itself - Tetra's pretty much Princess Zelda's polar opposite character anyway. Sheik was Zelda's alter ego, but Tetra was her entire life after she tossed the name Zelda out the back window and exchanged her ballgown dress for a cutlass and flintlock pistol, and that very fashionable red scarf. There's no evidence she even wore the dress again after the events of Wind Waker. By her own choice, she's not Zelda. Just a neat little factoid. Tetra for non-Triforce trio Zelda representation! Also pirate representation!
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/zelda/characters/index.html
This definitely helps explain their appearance in that Japan-exclusive 3DS commercial. Japan definitely seems to have loved it from the get-go, and hearing that is honestly great. The more love Wind Waker and it's characters get, the better!

Along with this and the fact that Sakurai's almost certainly considered her before, I really hope this can only mean more good things for her. In regards to Smash, anyway, because it obviously already means good things for her and the toon games in general.

Not long now, me hearties! I can hardly wait! Here's a great rendition of Fifteen Men to savor while we slog through these unsteady waters. May the legendary pirate princess find her prize today!

You all got any pirate music you enjoy listening to?
Indeed, we've got less than an hour to go from now. Any last minute bets on who we may see revealed in this Direct, folks? I can't imagine much time of it will be spent on Smash since it's a general Nintendo direct. My hopes remain that we'll see Tetra, and possibly another Zelda newcomer (again, this not being a Smash-oriented Direct, they'd both have to be revealed in the same trailer; once that trailer's over, we'll know they won't have any other characters to reveal today). I'm not counting out an Echo reveal happening outside of said trailer, but since Smash will almost certainly only get a brief segment this time, it would probably happen during the trailer, or not at all. We'll probably see more Echos in something focused entirely around Smash news.

As for some pirate music, well, in a way, I grew up with this song, thanks to numerous Christmas vacations at Disneyland:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
This definitely helps explain their appearance in that Japan-exclusive 3DS commercial. Japan definitely seems to have loved it from the get-go, and hearing that is honestly great. The more love Wind Waker and it's characters get, the better!

Along with this and the fact that Sakurai's almost certainly considered her before, I really hope this can only mean more good things for her. In regards to Smash, anyway, because it obviously already means good things for her and the toon games in general.

Indeed, we've got less than an hour to go from now. Any last minute bets on who we may see revealed in this Direct, folks? I can't imagine much time of it will be spent on Smash since it's a general Nintendo direct. My hopes remain that we'll see Tetra, and possibly another Zelda newcomer (again, this not being a Smash-oriented Direct, they'd both have to be revealed in the same trailer; once that trailer's over, we'll know they won't have any other characters to reveal today). I'm not counting out an Echo reveal happening outside of said trailer, but since Smash will almost certainly only get a brief segment this time, it would probably happen during the trailer, or not at all. We'll probably see more Echos in something focused entirely around Smash news.

As for some pirate music, well, in a way, I grew up with this song, thanks to numerous Christmas vacations at Disneyland:

Yup! It's been a while since we got a Toon or handheld game, so maybe Nintendo's even got something planned for her up their sleeve right now! I certainly hope so. She's a real keeper of a character.

Odds are good on Skull Kid and Isaac, given the leaks by Lady Bow and LordRattergun, consecutively. A pokemon reveal, like Decidueye or Incineroar (or way more unlikely, but would be awesome, Tapu Koko!). Considering the weird shift in schedules with Bowser's update, maybe something related to him? I don't know what it could be...Dry Bowser would seem really out of left field, but he would make an easy echo. Would kind of prefer him as alt, but whatever works for Sakurai. For a crazy prediction, let's say...eh. Kamek. Kamek's good. I'll go with Kamek.

Also, another page! Yay! Things are speeding up here!

Ha, I love that song! I need to visit Disney World sometime soon! They have much pirate stuff there when you went, King?

Okay. Direct Time. Tapping out for now. A toast to the princess of pirates, before I go! Cheeeers! *clink*

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No Zelda newcomer in sight. The wind continues to carry us, perhaps Tetra will land on that island that leads her into the world of Smash Bros. next time.

Cap’nKazam Cap’nKazam I've only ever been to the original park in Anaheim, CA, but yeah, around the New Orleans Park, there's plenty of pirate themed things to see. Besides the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride itself, there's a shop themed around it (as a kid I would go there all the time hoping to get more and more pirate themed toys, lol), you can explore some pirate-themed areas on the park's Tom Sawyer island, and the Columbia ship also gives off some pirate vibes. The nighttime show titled "Fantasmic" also features a Peter Pan segment where Captain Hook and his crew battle Pan on the Columbia as it travels across the river, chased by Tick Tock the Croc.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm personally very happy with today's reveal. I adore Animal Crossing and Isabelle is a character I really wanted to see playable, and her trailer, while rather lacking in crossover content compared to the last several, was simply very charming. And from her gameplay footage, she looks like a mostly unique fighter, possibly a Semi-clone. Yeah, she could've passed off as an Echo, but I always thought there were other aspects of AC not in Smash, some that just weren't overed by Villager yet, and others that could only be covered by Isabelle specifically. That makes her addition all the better! On that note, I actually hope this is a good sign for Tetra herself. True, she's another fighter that could possibly pass off as an Echo as well, but she's got boatloads of options that could easily allow her to be a unique fighter instead, and honestly, it'd make a lot more sense for her to be unique and use her own weapons and abilities rather than borrow almost entirely from Toon Link or any of ALBW Princess Zelda's forms. With Isabelle having gotten this treatment, I hope Tetra gets it as well. That's assuming she's in the game to begin with.

Last edited:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Sweet, thanks King! I'll make sure to visit those places when I finally head out that way! :)

Yeah, that was a very fun Direct. I've always liked Isabelle and she's been among my top 10 most wanted newcomers. Very pleased to see her in. Congrats Isabelle! The reveal trailer was also the most adorable thing. Sakurai's love and attention to source material continues to shine. Also was very excited to see FFVII, Luigi's Mansion 3, and new Animal Crossing! Yay! And yeah, Isabelle looks very, very conceptually similar to what I'd expect from a Tetra reveal. Strong similarities to a veteran, but unique moveset and personality. Given that seems to be a big philosphy Sakurai's heading with in this game, Tetra's chances are looking more and more up. In fact, all this talk about Isabelle actually reminds me...

ONE DOWN. ONE TO GO.

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Well good news we got more games coming to switch bad news no windwaker switch edition or tetra yet :(

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Wow, I love how this thread has blown up in my hiatus from Smashboards. Love the new support.

Unfortunatly I never got around to that moveset. One thing I was thinking would be a down B that is much like Kirby's. Referencing her time as a statue she transforms to stone and drops, with better frame data than kirby so it can be like a super armor, but not being a super fast drop, just a short one. This would work well with the idea of a Deku Leaf Up B that works like Maga Man's old Tornado Hold to set up opponents in the air and hitthem with the down b dropping hitbox, while also emphasising her as a light air fighter like the Toons are by giving her some defensive air utility.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Do you guys think Tetra could work as a semi-clone of Toon Link ala Isabelle? Basically she'd be a unique character but her general movements (jumping, fall speed, etc.) would be like TL's. A few of her normals would also be similar such as dash attack and up tilt, but nothing too overboard.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Do you guys think Tetra could work as a semi-clone of Toon Link ala Isabelle? Basically she'd be a unique character but her general movements (jumping, fall speed, etc.) would be like TL's. A few of her normals would also be similar such as dash attack and up tilt, but nothing too overboard.
Id be ok with that I really want to have her own moveset thats a bit similar using Hyrule Warriors moves and the items in wind waker

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If she were a Semi-clone of anyone, she'd be best off as one of Sheik or Toon Link. Ditch the "ninja" aspects of it, but keep her athletic prowess and speed. She'd be able to pull off a lot of the same physical moves Sheik does. And yes, it'd also make sense for her attributes like weight and fall speed to be the same as Toon Link. This is essentially the kind of stuff I'd expect from Tetra in any case.

I don't think she's likely to be an Echo anymore, if we see her get in at all. Isabelle could have been an Echo, and I think it would've been more logical for her to be one than for Tetra to be one. That said, I also always believed Isabelle had plenty of potential to be unique instead, so her being a semi-clone on a level akin to Luigi makes perfect sense, imo, and I think Tetra could fit into that same category perfectly. Isabelle's portrayal as a fighter definitely makes me feel more confident about Tetra being a more unique fighter rather than an Echo.

Wow, I love how this thread has blown up in my hiatus from Smashboards. Love the new support.

Unfortunatly I never got around to that moveset. One thing I was thinking would be a down B that is much like Kirby's. Referencing her time as a statue she transforms to stone and drops, with better frame data than kirby so it can be like a super armor, but not being a super fast drop, just a short one. This would work well with the idea of a Deku Leaf Up B that works like Maga Man's old Tornado Hold to set up opponents in the air and hitthem with the down b dropping hitbox, while also emphasising her as a light air fighter like the Toons are by giving her some defensive air utility.
Yep yep yep! More support for Tetra and WW in general is something I always welcome!

I admit, that's a very creative move idea for Tetra, definitely nothing like what I was thinking along the lines of. I'm not sure how much sense it makes for her to use such an attack, though, since she was forced into that state by Bellum. Smash does take some creative liberties with more than a few movesets of it's cast, so it's not impossible.

Id be ok with that I really want to have her own moveset thats a bit similar using Hyrule Warriors moves and the items in wind waker
As much as I'd love this, I don't think Sakurai is going to take any direct cues from Hyrule Warriors. As I noted in the OP, however, I do think it serves as an example to some moves that she could use in Smash. A few folks have noted to me that her pistols being more "cartooney" than realistic guns (like the kinds Snake isn't allowed to use in Smash, favoring explosive weapons and other devices instead) could mean that they can still be incorporated into her moveset without causing any real issues that the devs are afraid of, even without the utilizing the water elemental aspect the guns have in HW.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Tetra and Toon Zelda would be good additions as FOIL characters to Zelda and Sheik. I hope they both get in. I support!

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
Played Wind Waker for the first time today and loving how sassy Tetra is. Hope she makes it in...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Someone posted this in the Skull Kid thread, but it seems pretty relevant here. The massive French forum jeuzvideo.com (yes the one that fake leak was on) had a poll.

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
a
Someone posted this in the Skull Kid thread, but it seems pretty relevant here. The massive French forum jeuzvideo.com (yes the one that fake leak was on) had a poll.
Wow she even beat Impa!

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
It was also in my buddy Bandana Dee's page. In fact, I'm apparently very much on the same wavelength as France because a lot of my top picks did well in this poll.

Other fun notes: Isaac is Vlad and Decidueye- for maximum punnage- is Archéduc.

RubikDash

Smash Rookie
Yes! This would be amazing. Tetra's my #1 favorite Zelda character. Count me as a supporter please.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I had the craziest dream last night where Tetra got revealed for Smash. It started with a shot of Marin from Link's Awakening floating in the water. Then it showed Saria from Ocarina of Time running up and hugging someone. Finally, Link was in some dark room and behind him was Tetra just standing there.

If Tetra did get revealed, what would her reveal trailer be like?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I had the craziest dream last night where Tetra got revealed for Smash. It started with a shot of Marin from Link's Awakening floating in the water. Then it showed Saria from Ocarina of Time running up and hugging someone. Finally, Link was in some dark room and behind him was Tetra just standing there.

If Tetra did get revealed, what would her reveal trailer be like?
i hope shed come flying in via catapult

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I doubt most of you will access this thread without seeing the mountains of spoilers and leak talk around the forums., but I guess I might as well put this under spoilers:

Well......from the looks and sounds of things, it might be over.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/24/super-smash-bros-ultimate-full-roster-leak/

I'm not as filled in on the purported circumstances behind this leak yet as many other people are, so I don't have much to say yet. But it still looks like we have another ESRB leak situation on our hands. Tetra's not among the characters in the leak, I should add.

Don't give up just yet, even if you do believe in the leak. Even now, it isn't too early to push for DLC.

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
I doubt most of you will access this thread without seeing the mountains of spoilers and leak talk around the forums., but I guess I might as well put this under spoilers:

Well......from the looks and sounds of things, it might be over.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/24/super-smash-bros-ultimate-full-roster-leak/

I'm not as filled in on the purported circumstances behind this leak yet as many other people are, so I don't have much to say yet. But it still looks like we have another ESRB leak situation on our hands. Tetra's not among the characters in the leak, I should add.

Don't give up just yet, even if you do believe in the leak. Even now, it isn't too early to push for DLC.
No Tetra, no Skull Kid and not even Hilda... darn...hope it’s fake somehow.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! So glad to see how much this thread has grown lately! Took a bit of a break from Smash speculation to attend to personal stuff, but I figured now was a good time to jump back in and catch up on everything. And what a slew of surprises this has been!

So, onto the matter of Tetra. Should this leak prove true, it definitely changes things. For one, for a variety of reasons, I'm pretty sure Skull Kid will end up being a boss. I doubt Sakurai would leave him out of the game entirely after all the acclaim he's had, and if Sakurai knew Breath of the Wild was on the horizon, he may have just decided to deal with potential Zelda representation for whenever that game had come out, and go with whatever fresh new character had the most support at the time. Also, if you'll notice in the Youtube video where the moon assist trophy is first revealed, the clip opens with a glimmer of sparks on the left side of the screen that fizzle out just as the moon is summoned, which look to be about the size of Skull Kid. While the sparks didn't appear close enough to be ascribed as an attack by one of the players judging by their positions, it could easily have been an assist disappearing from view. If Skull Kid is a boss, my guess is that Skull Kid's small stature would play to his advantage in a fight, with your character attempting to inflict enough damage on his elusive self before a moon (approaching the screen at a slower pace) destroys you. Pure speculation here, but it would also align with LeakyPandy's tips, and seems like something Sakurai would do. Sakurai's most creative efforts have not been directed at Zelda very often, with half of its entire cast borrowing movesets from other characters, suggesting it is not one of his favored franchises. Skull Kid is a character that would take some work to bring to life, and it looks to me like most of Sakurai's creative energy went in other directions, like Mach Rider or Ridley, especially given the tight schedule his crew was working within. While its clear Sakurai had Skull Kid on his radar, his poor performance in polls likely influenced his promotion to boss assist trophy rather than full-fledged fighter.

Then again, Sakurai may have also left the character out entirely in anticipation that fans may want to give him a second chance for playable status when he'd have more time to work on him. He would certainly bring in the moneybags as DLC! I want to clarify that SK is my most wanted character for Smash right now (I mean, check out my avatar!), and I plan to participate in any campaign to make him playable (maybe even if he gets boss status). Yet alas, my hopes for him have been significantly dashed recently. If he doesn't end up as boss, hopefully we can get him in as DLC (assuming this leak is accurate in the first place).

If Skull Kid is a boss, that means Zelda may have no original representation at all in Ultimate, which would make the franchise prime estate for DLC. It must be said that any Zelda DLC representation will likely come from something Breath of the Wild related, which would probably mean Impa would be coming. However, there's no reason to think that should be the end of Zelda's representation, as Fire Emblem received two DLC characters last Smash - so any "one DLC character per franchise" limitation doesn't seem at all to be a Sakurai rule. With campaigns already underway to score Zelda DLC for Smash across the boards, Tetra has an opportunity. Given the focus Sakurai has put into resurrecting old characters with this game (Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Chrom, and apparently a cut Dixie again), Tetra (or Toon Zelda) could be viewed as a viable candidate, and likely will be easier to make than other potential competing reps. Especially if Sakurai has already done some work on her before. Considering she already has a sizable fanbase (especially in Japan), and is a character fairly important to Nintendo, I think her chances at making a cut for a second Zelda rep are pretty decent here, especially if Sakurai decides now is the time to compensate for Zelda's lack of unique representation over the last 17 years.

It's a modest chance, but a chance, I think, especially if Skull Kid gets relegated to boss status. There will be a pretty empty field of imposing challengers for Tetra short of Impa, so any support directed her way could go a long way to building up traction. we need to get the message to Sakurai that Zelda needs more representation in Smash. Given the franchise's recent surge in popularity in Japan with BotW, that's not out of the realm of possibility. Most importantly, I say let's keep an eye out for DLC polls, and keep the support alive for now. Tetra's not out of the game yet.

Cheers, me hearties!

Last edited:

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! So glad to see how much this thread has grown lately! Took a bit of a break from Smash speculation to attend to personal stuff, but I figured now was a good time to jump back in and catch up on everything. And what a slew of surprises this has been!

So, onto the matter of Tetra. Should this leak prove true, it definitely changes things. For one, for a variety of reasons, I'm pretty sure Skull Kid will end up being a boss. I doubt Sakurai would leave him out of the game entirely after all the acclaim he's had, and if Sakurai knew Breath of the Wild was on the horizon, he may have just decided to deal with potential Zelda representation for whenever that game had come out, and go with whatever fresh new character had the most support at the time. Also, if you'll notice in the Youtube video where the moon assist trophy is first revealed, the clip opens with a glimmer of sparks on the left side of the screen that fizzle out just as the moon is summoned, which look to be about the size of Skull Kid. While the sparks didn't appear close enough to be ascribed as an attack by one of the players judging by their positions, it could easily have been an assist disappearing from view. If Skull Kid is a boss, my guess is that Skull Kid's small stature would play to his advantage in a fight, with your character attempting to inflict enough damage on his elusive self before a moon (approaching the screen at a slower pace) destroys you. Pure speculation here, but it would also align with LeakyPandy's tips, and seems like something Sakurai would do. Sakurai's most creative efforts have not been directed at Zelda very often, with half of its entire cast borrowing movesets from other characters, suggesting it is not one of his favored franchises. Skull Kid is a character that would take some work to bring to life, and it looks to me like most of Sakurai's creative energy went in other directions, like Mach Rider or Ridley, especially given the tight schedule his crew was working within. While its clear Sakurai had Skull Kid on his radar, his poor performance in polls likely influenced his promotion to boss assist trophy rather than full-fledged fighter.

Then again, Sakurai may have also left the character out entirely in anticipation that fans may want to give him a second chance for playable status when he'd have more time to work on him. He would certainly bring in the moneybags as DLC! I want to clarify that SK is my most wanted character for Smash right now (I mean, check out my avatar!), and I plan to participate in any campaign to make him playable (maybe even if he gets boss status). Yet alas, my hopes for him have been significantly dashed recently. If he doesn't end up as boss, hopefully we can get him in as DLC (assuming this leak is accurate in the first place).

If Skull Kid is a boss, that means Zelda may have no original representation at all in Ultimate, which would make the franchise prime estate for DLC. It must be said that any Zelda DLC representation will likely come from something Breath of the Wild related, which would probably mean Impa would be coming. However, there's no reason to think that should be the end of Zelda's representation, as Fire Emblem received two DLC characters last Smash - so any "one DLC character per franchise" limitation doesn't seem at all to be a Sakurai rule. With campaigns already underway to score Zelda DLC for Smash across the boards, Tetra has an opportunity. Given the focus Sakurai has put into resurrecting old characters with this game (Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Chrom, and apparently a cut Dixie again), Tetra (or Toon Zelda) could be viewed as a viable candidate, and likely will be easier to make than other potential competing reps. Especially if Sakurai has already done some work on her before. Considering she already has a sizable fanbase (especially in Japan), and is a character fairly important to Nintendo, I think her chances at making a cut for a second Zelda rep are pretty decent here, especially if Sakurai decides now is the time to compensate for Zelda's lack of unique representation over the last 17 years.

It's a modest chance, but a chance, I think, especially if Skull Kid gets relegated to boss status. There will be a pretty empty field of imposing challengers for Tetra short of Impa, so any support directed her way could go a long way to building up traction. we need to get the message to Sakurai that Zelda needs more representation in Smash. Given the franchise's recent surge in popularity in Japan with BotW, that's not out of the realm of possibility. Most importantly, I say let's keep an eye out for DLC polls, and keep the support alive for now. Tetra's not out of the game yet.

Cheers, me hearties!
I really enjoy your optimism and positive attitude. I agree, Tetra is not out of the question just yet, and think if Skull Kid doesn’t even make it as a boss he might make it as DLC (him and Tetra or Impa) but sadly I think this means that Hilda is a no. Well Tetra is significantly popular and that helps her tons.

I think a Zelda rep has a big shot at making it as a DLC character (I mean it’s likely ultimate will have DLC tbh) well let’s stay positive and cross our fingers!

Tbh I would be a bit sad if the leak is true..no Dixie, No Tetra, no Tails, No Impa, No Hilda but at the same time I don’t wanna be ungrateful so I’m thankful with what we have.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoy your optimism and positive attitude. I agree, Tetra is not out of the question just yet, and think if Skull Kid doesn’t even make it as a boss he might make it as DLC (him and Tetra or Impa) but sadly I think this means that Hilda is a no. Well Tetra is significantly popular and that helps her tons.

I think a Zelda rep has a big shot at making it as a DLC character (I mean it’s likely ultimate will have DLC tbh) well let’s stay positive and cross our fingers!

Tbh I would be a bit sad if the leak is true..no Dixie, No Tetra, no Tails, No Impa, No Hilda but at the same time I don’t wanna be ungrateful so I’m thankful with what we have.
Thanks! I hope all these characters get in. This is Ultimate after all. Zelda should have at least one newcomer. I haven't seen much activity for Hilda in any of the polls I've looked over, but considering Zelda's design in this game was significantly inspired by LBW, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she had a costume swap for Hilda. After all, as Mecha Ridley has shown us, there are more alternate costumes for characters than what we've just been shown in demos. It would be pretty easy to do, and I'll actually go as far to say I would be mildly surprised if she didn't appear as an alternate. As a standalone character or an echo, however - that's a little tricky. Were she to employ her staff, she probably wouldn't qualify as an echo anymore. While a straight up echo would be fairly simple to make, she'd probably need to have more presence in fan ballots. That said, Sakurai makes tons of unpredictable moves though that no one would have ever seen coming (especially where clone characters are concerned), so I wouldn't completely give up hope here. If she's got one thing going in her favor, it's that she'd be really, really simple to make.

As for the other characters - Dixie, Impa, and Tails - I think the first two are extremely likely DLC characters. Especially if Skull Kid makes boss, I don't see how Sakurai will avoid completely skipping over a franchise standing toe to toe with the likes of Pokemon and Mario in terms of importance for two games in a row. Zelda's way too iconic to Nintendo to just get shafted entirely, and Breath of the Wild is still being celebrated, even now. Impa's already got a sizable fanbase, and she had a significant role in that game (which actually bumped up the entire franchise's popularity in Japan). Since Sakurai himself had a lot of positive things to say about the game, I think it very probable Breath of the Wild has had his eye for DLC possibility. Dixie (according to the leak) has been a character cut twice already, so clearly Sakurai wants to put her in. If he's already devoted resources to her this time around, and in consideration of her significant polling presence, she also seems extremely likely for DLC potential. Tails, on the other hand...hmm. I have a hard time seeing it, with Sonic already having two reps, we'd be treading uncharted waters twice over: first to give a single third party franchise three separate reps, and second to give a single third party franchise two characters with unique movesets. Won't say it's impossible, but I have a hard time seeing Sakurai devote a DLC slot to him. Still, I adore the thought of a Mario Bros. vs Sonic & Tails matchup, so the little two-tailed kitsune has my best wishes. Good luck, Tails!

All this aside, and short of Zelda representation (which is, I think, significantly lacking), Smash Bros Ultimate's roster truly is deserving of its title, if this leak is true. I'm just amazed by the sheer breadth of it, and the thought of Banjo fighting Simon Belmont fighting Cloud fighting Snake fighting g*dd**n Isabelle in a single game. Gee whiz. Even if Skull Kid doesn't make it in, consider me blown away. Many kudos, Sakurai. Well done.

Btw Firewolf, how fares Wind Waker? I notice while I was away you picked the game up? Has always been a favorite of mine. Happy you seem to be enjoying it!

Last edited:

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I hope all these characters get in. This is Ultimate after all. Zelda should have at least one newcomer. I haven't seen much activity for Hilda in any of the polls I've looked over, but considering Zelda's design in this game was significantly inspired by LBW, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she had a costume swap for Hilda. After all, as Mecha Ridley has shown us, there are more alternate costumes for characters than what we've just been shown in demos. It would be pretty easy to do, and I'll actually go as far to say I would be mildly surprised if she didn't appear as an alternate. As a standalone character or an echo, however - that's a little tricky. Were she to employ her staff, she probably wouldn't qualify as an echo anymore. While a straight up echo would be fairly simple to make, she'd probably need to have more presence in fan ballots. That said, Sakurai makes tons of unpredictable moves though that no one would have ever seen coming (especially where clone characters are concerned), so I wouldn't completely give up hope here. If she's got one thing going in her favor, it's that she'd be really, really simple to make.

As for the other characters - Dixie, Impa, and Tails - I think the first two are extremely likely DLC characters. Especially if Skull Kid makes boss, I don't see how Sakurai will avoid completely skipping over a franchise standing toe to toe with the likes of Pokemon and Mario in terms of importance for two games in a row. Zelda's way too iconic to Nintendo to just get shafted entirely, and Breath of the Wild is still being celebrated, even now. Impa's already got a sizable fanbase, and she had a significant role in that game (which actually bumped up the entire franchise's popularity in Japan). Since Sakurai himself had a lot of positive things to say about the game, I think it very probable Breath of the Wild has had his eye for DLC possibility. Dixie (according to the leak) has been a character cut twice already, so clearly Sakurai wants to put her in. If he's already devoted resources to her this time around, and in consideration of her significant polling presence, she also seems extremely likely for DLC potential. Tails, on the other hand...hmm. I have a hard time seeing it, with Sonic already having two reps, we'd be treading uncharted waters twice over: first to give a single third party franchise three separate reps, and second to give a single third party franchise two characters with unique movesets. Won't say it's impossible, but I have a hard time seeing Sakurai devote a DLC slot to him. Still, I adore the thought of a Mario Bros. vs Sonic & Tails matchup, so the little two-tailed kitsune has my best wishes. Good luck, Tails!

All this aside, and short of Zelda representation (which is, I think, significantly lacking), Smash Bros Ultimate's roster truly is deserving of its title, if this leak is true. I'm just amazed by the sheer breadth of it, and the thought of Banjo fighting Simon Belmont fighting Cloud fighting Snake fighting g*dd**n Isabelle in a single game. Gee whiz. Even if Skull Kid doesn't make it in, consider me blown away. Many kudos, Sakurai. Well done.

Btw Firewolf, how fares Wind Waker? I notice while I was away you picked the game up? Has always been a favorite of mine. Happy you seem to be enjoying it!
Thank you Cap’nKazam, I really like how positive you remain and look at things in this manner, thanks also for going over every character in my wish list haha. I do realize that Tails might be a little bit of a stretch although I just always liked him when watching the cartoon and playing the games. And as you mentioned I think Skull Kid, Tetra, Dixie and Impa still have a good shot whereas Hilda is more likely as an alternate costume.

And as you stated, this roster does look ultimate already so we do have to acknowledge Sakurai’s hard work and creativity, on the other hand it would be quite saddening to see Zelda be thrown to the side. I do appreacite all the new Zelda character design changes...but of of course it’s not the same as a new rep.

Yes! I have enjoyed it so far, I’m not playing daily so I’m not too advanced yet haha. I just finished talking to the wind sage and earth sage’s spirits and have to find someone with similar instruments although I’m a little confused tbh but it’s going well so far!

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow piiiirates! Guess which bonny lass just got her odds bumped up a great deal? Yup-yup! Tetra’s back in the game! In case you hadn’t heard, it seems as though Nintendo made all five DLC selections in-house, so the chances of first party fighters making it are real, real good. On top of that, Nintendo seems to be paying a lot more attention to Zelda these days (as opposed to Sakurai, boo-hoo Skull Kid :( ), still riding high on BotW popularity overseas and (importantly) in Japan, a possible Netflix show coming out, as well as a new mobile game. Interestingly, Spirit Tracks recently had its trademark updated - which is nothing unusual - except in the way the trademarked game is described: a “program for home video game machine', 'downloadable video game program' and 'program for smartphone.”

Certainly fascinating. If conventional expectations about Nintendo making DLC to advertise future products holds true - and should Nintendo wish to bank on a very significant portion of not only Smash’s, but the entire company’s fanbase that was left hanging with no new reps - a Zelda newcomer does not seem unlikely at all, given the series’ crucial legacy. This is where Tetra’s popularity in Japan becomes of great importance, as well as her possible connection to what will likely be Nintendo’s next Zelda game. While never appearing in Spirit Tracks personally, she had a strong role in its background and lore, and was principally important to the Toon Zelda games, having made three separate appearances in them. Should Nintendo wish to make a mainstream mobile game, especially marketing to Japan, they would almost certainly retain this aesthetic, and with that the world of the Great Sea/New Hyrule. Tetra’s recognizability, fan-favorite status, and infinitely magnetic personality would be a natural fit for a mobile Zelda title, and she is one of a select few Zelda characters whose mass appeal justifies DLC treatment.

While it is not wise to count on her appearance, I think it nearly as unwise to count her out at this point. We must wait and see!

I can hardly wait!

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
With Nintendo picking the characters in house this time I suspect that many, if not all, of the choices will be more business related choices to help promote certain or upcoming games. If we're to assume that Assist Trophies are not on the table once again, then Tetra's only competition is really Toon Zelda (who is very recognizable) and Impa I guess. Though I doubt they're going to try to market a character like Impa for DLC. To me it's only between Tetra and Toon Zelda at this point for another Zelda representative (I'm perfectly okay with either). If Nintendo is indeed making a Zelda mobile game with a Toon aesthetic, I could see your theory panning out considering we probably won't be seeing a new Zelda game on console for a couple more years or so. A lot of assumptions would have to fall into place though for all of this to happen. Not to mention we already have 2 Toon related Zelda stages, so we'd likely have to get a third. Unless they're making a couple more surprise characters in the background like Piranha Plant that they could sell standalone for less if they're semi-clones or something. You never know.

I'm very curious to see what kind of characters Nintendo picked. I'm still planning on getting the Fighter Pass just because I'm going to want to have a full roster no matter who they are, but I'm a little nervous that none of the characters will interest me personally if Nintendo made odd choices. I feel it's also just as likely that many of the characters we get will be from unrepresented franchises to make this crossover even bigger. Though with possibilities like a Gen 8 Pokemon, another new Fire Emblem character from the upcoming Switch game, or even Rex if Nintendo wants more Xenoblade representation I doubt that all of them will be from unrepresented franchises. Could go either way. I'm honestly not sure what this could mean for 3rd parties too. I just have so many questions, but I'm going to wait patiently to see what we get. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the way they handled DLC characters in Smash on Wii U/3DS, so I have my expectations very tempered this time around. In the end I'm just hoping for the best.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm not sure that older games are bolstered by this announcement, Nintendo picking means they're going to prioritise relevance, but an upcoming Toon project does have me excited. IMO too many people think that Nintendo picking means purely Nintendo characters, it's entirely possible that they want to foster other companies releasing on their platform and promote their presence there too, afterall if more people are buying the Switch version than the XBox version then games get designed with Switch audiences in mind, and more people buy Switches.

RubikDash

Smash Rookie
So, Tetra is a Spirit. I know that Spirits don’t decomfirm a character but, I just wanted to point this out!

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow piiiirates! Guess which bonny lass just got her odds bumped up a great deal? Yup-yup! Tetra’s back in the game! In case you hadn’t heard, it seems as though Nintendo made all five DLC selections in-house, so the chances of first party fighters making it are real, real good. On top of that, Nintendo seems to be paying a lot more attention to Zelda these days (as opposed to Sakurai, boo-hoo Skull Kid :( ), still riding high on BotW popularity overseas and (importantly) in Japan, a possible Netflix show coming out, as well as a new mobile game. Interestingly, Spirit Tracks recently had its trademark updated - which is nothing unusual - except in the way the trademarked game is described: a “program for home video game machine', 'downloadable video game program' and 'program for smartphone.”

Certainly fascinating. If conventional expectations about Nintendo making DLC to advertise future products holds true - and should Nintendo wish to bank on a very significant portion of not only Smash’s, but the entire company’s fanbase that was left hanging with no new reps - a Zelda newcomer does not seem unlikely at all, given the series’ crucial legacy. This is where Tetra’s popularity in Japan becomes of great importance, as well as her possible connection to what will likely be Nintendo’s next Zelda game. While never appearing in Spirit Tracks personally, she had a strong role in its background and lore, and was principally important to the Toon Zelda games, having made three separate appearances in them. Should Nintendo wish to make a mainstream mobile game, especially marketing to Japan, they would almost certainly retain this aesthetic, and with that the world of the Great Sea/New Hyrule. Tetra’s recognizability, fan-favorite status, and infinitely magnetic personality would be a natural fit for a mobile Zelda title, and she is one of a select few Zelda characters whose mass appeal justifies DLC treatment.

While it is not wise to count on her appearance, I think it nearly as unwise to count her out at this point. We must wait and see!

I can hardly wait!
Again, I appreciate your enthusiasm and positivity!! I hope tetra makes it in as DLC, I was honestly almost crushed when I realized Skull Kid was still an AT, Impa didn’t make it and worse..Hilda not even an alt!

Let’s hope we get some Zelda this upcoming DLC 0:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just a warning, I've been reading that there's different levels of Spirit, fighter spirits and some other kind, and it's that other kind that we've seen duplicates of. That said, I don't beleive there's any hard confirmation to this...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The fact that Tetra is a Spirit has me ever so slightly worried, although I never really worried about Dixie's chances for the same reason, so maybe it's best I drop that little paranoia altogether. I think a Spirit is the least of of the Smash fanbase's worries as far as disconfirmations go. Heck, a lot of people are intent on campaigning for Waluigi and Skull Kid to be DLC despite being Assist Trophies, normally considered a much more firm disconfirmation of playable characters. If they aren't out of the running, then why shouldn't characters who are only appearing as mere still images that provide statistic boosts still be in the running, too?

I don't know if Nintendo picking the fighters themselves will be a good or a bad thing for us in particular. Tetra has been well supported and advertised by Nintendo in recent years, so perhaps she's came to their mind in this case? If you're a believer in the VergeBen leak (I am myself; the lack of a Square Enix character and Minecraft content means it's all likely to come with DLC. The rest of the claims he's made have been confirmed as of the last Direct, effectively shutting the admittedly impressively made Banner/Grinch leak down) then it's a safe bet to believe that one of the five sets will contain a Square Enix newcomer. If you don't think one of the sets will be themed around Minecraft (it's hard to say since it's only been claimed that it will be represented in some form), then that leaves four more sets unknown, each with another newcomer. I'd really like to think she probably came to their minds, especially if the company did decide to use the toon artstyle for the upcoming mobile game. The ride hasn't ended yet, we've just completed the first lap. We've already got a shot with DLC, and if that fails, let's keep our hopes up for a second wave of it. It's too early to determine if we will get more DLC besides the Piranha Plant and one wave of five content sets.

Cap’nKazam Cap’nKazam , I always appreciate the analyses and new info you have to bring! Often times you've talked about some information that I had no prior knowledge of. It's really cool that you're always on top of such things and maintain so much hope for our favorite pirate all the while. Keep up the good work, mate!

Also, belated, but you and the Skull Kid thread have my condolences. I myself wasn't pleasantly surprised by the sudden and rather inconspicuous reveal that Skull Kid really is still apart of the Assist Trophy line-up. :ohwell: I'm sorry he still hasn't joined the battle... That being said, I wouldn't give up hope on him yet, either. I don't know your stance on the matter, but personally, I'm not fully convinced ATs are out of the running for DLC, and won't be until an official source says otherwise.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
We already know that Nintendo has made the choices for Smash Ultimate's DLC newcomers, but recently, there's been more than a fair amount of evidence indicating that neither Sakurai nor Nintendo will be taking fan suggestions for DLC any time soon.

https://www.inverse.com/article/508...reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-not-taking-requests

This in itself doesn't directly disconfirm the possibility of additional waves of DLC packs and fighters, but it certainly puts a damper on character support, now. Because even if there is, this hints that they probably won't be taking suggestions for any potential future waves, either. No polls, no ballots, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's caught wind of this by now, but I thought I'd bring it up here anyway. If Tetra isn't the fighter in any of these five packs, then that might be it for her. It's still going to take time to tell her fate.

With that said, I'm not as worried about Spirits harming her chances anymore, for the time being, at least. Honestly, I think the rules for however those work in regards to existing and non-existing fighters should be adjustable. Would it really be that big of a deal if a playable character had a Support Spirit of themselves?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Tetra has always been one of my personal most wanted characters for Smash as she is probably my favorite female Nintendo character. Sadly, I feel like she has no chance of coming to Smash Ultimate, specially right now.

Found this awhile ago, bth:
28831329-C85A-4A92-8B71-3744A2CB4576.jpeg

Also, I bought Hyrule Warriors mostly just because of the Wind Waker story part, finally got to play as Tetra and dear lord, I can’t deny that Tecmo really screwed up her voice, hope I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Top Bottom