• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Tether Dashing] New SSBM-Samus Tech - Need Frame Data

Diego Duarte

Smash Rookie
http://makeagif.com/i/cwBVUJ
https://youtu.be/7cuhDfA7tuU

Sage here , I found this by accident practicing SHFF Zairs . Basically , instead of wavedashing normally by jumping and then air dodging in quick succession , you jump and in extremely quick succession , almost as fast as multi shining , you use Tether instead and if you do it correctly , your wavedash is almost tripled ! ! !

Would really like some frame data for this

Smash Journeyman
looks cool! surprised I didn't think of this when messing with zair. I wish you had a video that actually demonstrated it was longer than an actual wavedash though... I'll try figuring out frame data on stream sometime tonight / this weekend

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
preliminary testing: this is not possible because landing during the grapple animation immediately cancels all horizontal velocity. i'll test with TAS next

Diego Duarte

Smash Rookie
Jump and IMMEDIATELY after, Tether using L+A . It's literally just a faster wavedash using L+A . It's really hard but I guarantee it's possible. I have this at a consistent level .

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the Samus R&D group on facebook (posting something now, in fact). I tested in TAS; I think you're literally just doing a normal wavedash.

Jump -> airdodge horizontally -> zair (holding control stick same direction) on the next frame only goes about as far as a normal wavedash, plus you're stuck in 30 frames of zair landing lag.

Jump -> airdodge diagonally downward -> zair goes almost no distance and basically doesn't slide you on the ground at all, plus you're stuck in 30 frames of zair landing lag.

Jump -> attempt direction airdodge + A input in the same frame doesn't give you a "directional grapple" and instead just makes you zair and drift afterward while continuing to rise.

The two fundamental problems I see are: 1) you don't slide when landing during zair animation, and 2) landing during zair animation gives you 30 frames of lag.

Last edited:

Diego Duarte

Smash Rookie
Her wavedash doesn't go that far . I only get that distance using said inputs. I'll make another video tonight between her wavedash and this "Tether dash" .

Smash Journeyman
If you input the "best" 17 degree below horizontal angle, her wavedash in fact goes quite far. In your video, the 4th thing you executed did seem a little different from a normal wavedash. I observed one of these while testing, and while it looks somewhat faster than a normal wavedash, it went about the same distance.

Last edited:

Diego Duarte

Smash Rookie
Can I get complete frame data ? If you don't mind , I really appreciate your help. You definitely deserve to be credited correctly the FD mining

Smash Journeyman
Again, I tried the reasonable ways to reproduce that I described, and couldn't. I'll need better steps than "jump and airdodge + grapple really fast." It seems like: (1) you can't airdodge + grapple on the same frame because you'll continue rising, and (2) waiting a frame to airdodge doesn't appear to help: airdodging down+to the side makes you land without sliding, while airdodging straight horizontal makes you go actually horizontally.

Diego Duarte

Smash Rookie
I will be posting for a new video , with live inputs in order to help the process. It's a very hard timing but I assure it can be done .

Litt

Samus
Just looks like this guy was normal wavedashing to the ledge... only thing that made it look differently was the lip of yoshis imo.

Litt

Samus
Normal wavedash doesn't go that far. Her wave dash is at least 1/3 of what's in the video.
no.... you are just really bad at wavedashing I am sorry to say but what you did in those videos i can replicate with her normal wavedash.

Litt

Samus
I'd like to see that.
Do you really want me making a video to disprove your further than frame data? Like idc, its going to take me 5 seconds to start up the old cube and press a few buttons with the record button on, but I suggest you trying it yourself a few times.

Yoshis is 112.6327 Mm across and it's platforms are 31.5 Mm.

Samus:
Max angle wavedash total distance: 35.14209

(see: https://smashboards.com/threads/ultimate-ground-movement-analysis-turbo-edition.392367/ )

in your video you only wavedashed ~31.5Meleemeter but her wavedash is actually ~35 Meleemeter longer
I highly encourage exploration of samus tech by all levels of skill, but when you think you discover something then are proven wrong you should just ask questions and discuss instead of making more assertions.

(Example: "Her wavedash is at least 1/3 of what's in the video")

If you don't actually know the max length of a wave dash, why would you think you are any authority to say what her wave dash length is relative to other distances? Please be less assertive with statements in the future that you do not know for certain to be true. You are interacting with samuses ranging in levels of experience and skill that may or may not be able to help you, but its always better to go off the assumption that everyone else knows more than you when you are new and then understanding who is full of bs ;p.

By phrase statements as questions, how does this tech I believe I discovered compare with samus's normal wavedash? or I do not beleive samus's wavedash is a long as this move, would someone be able to confirm it is 3x or 1/3 slower.... etc.... allows for much better communication of ideas for discussion and promotes less conflict

On a brighter note, I love your idea and would have been thrilled should it have actually given samus a longer or faster wavedash! Ingenious and I cannot say I have ever thought of anything like it.

Last edited:

Kataquax

Smash Cadet
I will be posting for a new video , with live inputs in order to help the process. It's a very hard timing but I assure it can be done .
At best go on battlefield on one of the platforms, roll fully to one side (or walk to one side till you get in the almost falling animation) and then make the Tetherdash across the hole platform. If you fall of that proves that the tetherdash is longer than the wavedash.

Jarlaxle

Smash Rookie
You are interacting with samuses ranging in levels of experience and skill that may or may not be able to help you, but its always better to go off the assumption that everyone else knows more than you when you are new and then understanding who is full of bs ;p.
*Samus. The plural of Samus is Sami. It's like the word cactus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom