• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's really awesome. I didn't even think about the biker outfit. I went with a swordsman because he does use swords in ST2 and it has projectiles like the chakram which and the shuriken.

In other news I did sent a ballot for Mike Jones. Now I know it says one per person but it seems I can put as many as I want in there.
Hmm I don't know why doing it more than once gives me a bad feeling, but I could at least throw in two more Mike submissions. One in Spanish and one in Japanese. :)

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
One per IP address. ;)
This won't work, actually. You'd need to be connected to a different Internet network for this to work. Each connected system has its own internal I.P. address, but their external I.P. addresses are all identical.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I voted for mike on my phone so I'll see if I can sneak in a couple more...or at least one for work. I heard that Banjo is currently on top

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

Here is my Mike Jones mii which is very similar. Also with Nav-Com.

As for the Smash Ballot I'm using different computer. I work for an internet company so I have many IPs I can use :troll:. I don't think it makes much difference since some people still have family computers and all. Though I'm using it to represent all the characters I want.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So, looking around the internet, Mike Jones ALMOST made it to the list of most voted characters.
This is great, but I'd love for him to actually enter the ranks, you know?
Have his face among heavy hitters, even if he's on the opposite side of the list. That could bring a lot of hope!

btw, anyone know how they're tallying up these votes? Maybe that's just an estimate from the Facebook unofficial FIghter Ballot page.

Here is my Mike Jones mii which is very similar. Also with Nav-Com.

As for the Smash Ballot I'm using different computer. I work for an internet company so I have many IPs I can use :troll:. I don't think it makes much difference since some people still have family computers and all. Though I'm using it to represent all the characters I want.
I love this so much!!!
I'd love to make one as well!

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I really hope they're choosing from all the voted characters WHILE taking their votes into account instead of just picking the most voted character(s). K. Rool and Inkling are REALLY poor choices. Sorry, Internet, someone had to admit it.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I really hope they're choosing from all the voted characters WHILE taking their votes into account instead of just picking the most voted character(s). K. Rool and Inkling are REALLY poor choices. Sorry, Internet, someone had to admit it.
I also hope that Nintendo owned characters like Mike have priority over all the crazy ones!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be frank, the only character that would feel like a kick to the throat if he got in over Mike for me would be Captain Rainbow.
Same situation as Mike except he only has one game, Japan only. And between him sporting a brand new yoyo-centric moveset, and people thinking Ness does everything Mike does, It'd be game over for Mike.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind Captain Rainbow that much since he does fit well in the Smash universe (both games being a Nintendo crossovers games).

Also what if Mike Jones didn't use just a yo-yo. Yes its his starting weapon but what about the shooting star and super nova? The shooting star is essentially a medieval morning star flail.

This looks a lot like this...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't mind Captain Rainbow that much since he does fit well in the Smash universe (both games being a Nintendo crossovers games).

Also what if Mike Jones didn't use just a yo-yo. Yes its his starting weapon but what about the shooting star and super nova? The shooting star is essentially a medieval morning star flail.

This looks a lot like this...

Yeah, I've been thinking that having an upgradeable yoyo system (Shooting Star, Supernova) is definitely the way to go for Mike. Not only for Captain Rainbow, but so his yoyo will look a lot more unique than Ness' as well.
I guess Captain Rainbow wouldn't be so bad. Ideally, I'd like both to get in at the same time.

Plus... he still has tons of other weapons and equipment he could potentially use.

I keep thinking Mike could start out as a semi-powerhouse character with middle ranged weapon (Supernova) but as he takes damage, it powers down to the other two forms, and his attacks get weaker+faster, turning him into a combo character when he's injured. So in short: KO character when healthy, combo character when hurt. That would be my ideal version of him.
To make things fair, his Supernova/Shooting Star would only be able to shoot one slow-ish projectile per screen time. :)

-
I wonder how the official Ballot is fairing. I've tried hard not to obsess over this.. I mean, the roster is almost perfect got me anyway... But how much longer will we have to wait to play as Mike again? In any game? T_T

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about something different for Mike.
Here's his moveset (in my mind).
Neutral Special - Yo-yo. Decreases power and range with damage.
Side Special - A short, floaty hop forward, somewhat in the same vein as the Jolt Haymaker. During the jump, Mike rapidly swings his yo-yo, all of the hits stringing into each other. With more damage, it doesn't hit as many times, nor does it hit as strong or fast, allowing escape after a certain point.
Down Special - Baseball bat. Hits 360 degrees around Mike, despite not visually appearing to do so. Strong K.O. move, regardless of damage, killing Mario at 95%. Does not start very quickly, but lasts quite long.
Up Special - A simple upwards jump, as if jumping upward in StarTropics. Does not deal damage or have a hitbox.
Forward/Back Air - Raygun. Works identically to Villager's slingshot.
Neutral Air - A lasting hitbox, similar to Mario's. Does not come out nearly as fast, but is exceptionally strong
and can K.O.
Up Air - Works identically to Ganon's, but slightly faster with slightly less power.
Down Air - Winds up and performs a downward slice with his leg. Meteors if sweet-spotted, otherwise hits strongly.
Forward Tilt - Identical to that of the Mii Fighter.
Down Tilt - A quick swipe at the ground using the yo-yo. Think of the lag of Marth's down-tilt, but with the
properties of Little Mac's.
Up Tilt - Shoots the Raygun upwards. Works similarly to Mega-Man's jab in that it hits with slightly more strength nearer to the projectile's source. The projectile doesn't have much of a hitbox, nor is it strong.
Forward Smash - Psychic Ultra-Wave. The attack actually hits in front of Mike, and he doesn't shoot it from his
hands. With more damage, the move downgrades.
Down Smash - Uses the stronger variation of the Raygun(not clear on its name). He kneels down and touches
the barrel of the Raygun to the ground, letting out an energy blast that hits in front of and behind him.
Not a reliable kill move, but its trajectory can set up gimps.
Up Smash - A soccer-type kick, rising straight up in front of him. He doesn't do a flip, meaning it doesn't hit much of an area above him, but hits more of an area in front of him. Not a great kill move. Comes out quickly.
To grab, Mike uses the yo-yo. It can be used as a tether. His throws aren't too great and don't combo into any of his stronger moves.
- UNIQUE FEATURES -
Mike's power degrades with damage, affecting Side Special, Neutral Special, Forward Smash, Down Tilt and Forward Tilt.
0% - Full power.
40% - Half power.
65% - Least power.
Mike is a normal-speed character, like Mario. He weighs slightly more. Despite being a fast character, Mike's jump isn't very good, being slightly better than Little Mac's or Ganon's. He can't use his Up Air, Down Air or Neutral Air very safely off-stage because of his bad jumping ability in conjunction with their ending lag.

TWIST: At 100%, Mike's shirt turns orange and he gains the Anklet boost. This will boost his jumping ability. His Up Special and Side Special will also benefit from this. This means that, if a player can survive past 65% and up to 100%, they can live longer - provided they're able to adapt to Mike's shift in useful moves.

Also, really, I don't believe any of the top ballot characters deserve playable status more than Mike. In fact, 99% of them don't deserve playable status at all, even when not being compared to Mike.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I was thinking about something different for Mike.
Here's his moveset (in my mind).
Neutral Special - Yo-yo. Decreases power and range with damage.
Side Special - A short, floaty hop forward, somewhat in the same vein as the Jolt Haymaker. During the jump, Mike rapidly swings his yo-yo, all of the hits stringing into each other. With more damage, it doesn't hit as many times, nor does it hit as strong or fast, allowing escape after a certain point.
Down Special - Baseball bat. Hits 360 degrees around Mike, despite not visually appearing to do so. Strong K.O. move, regardless of damage, killing Mario at 95%. Does not start very quickly, but lasts quite long.
Up Special - A simple upwards jump, as if jumping upward in StarTropics. Does not deal damage or have a hitbox.
Forward/Back Air - Raygun. Works identically to Villager's slingshot.
Neutral Air - A lasting hitbox, similar to Mario's. Does not come out nearly as fast, but is exceptionally strong
and can K.O.
Up Air - Works identically to Ganon's, but slightly faster with slightly less power.
Down Air - Winds up and performs a downward slice with his leg. Meteors if sweet-spotted, otherwise hits strongly.
Forward Tilt - Identical to that of the Mii Fighter.
Down Tilt - A quick swipe at the ground using the yo-yo. Think of the lag of Marth's down-tilt, but with the
properties of Little Mac's.
Up Tilt - Shoots the Raygun upwards. Works similarly to Mega-Man's jab in that it hits with slightly more strength nearer to the projectile's source. The projectile doesn't have much of a hitbox, nor is it strong.
Forward Smash - Psychic Ultra-Wave. The attack actually hits in front of Mike, and he doesn't shoot it from his
hands. With more damage, the move downgrades.
Down Smash - Uses the stronger variation of the Raygun(not clear on its name). He kneels down and touches
the barrel of the Raygun to the ground, letting out an energy blast that hits in front of and behind him.
Not a reliable kill move, but its trajectory can set up gimps.
Up Smash - A soccer-type kick, rising straight up in front of him. He doesn't do a flip, meaning it doesn't hit much of an area above him, but hits more of an area in front of him. Not a great kill move. Comes out quickly.
To grab, Mike uses the yo-yo. It can be used as a tether. His throws aren't too great and don't combo into any of his stronger moves.
- UNIQUE FEATURES -
Mike's power degrades with damage, affecting Side Special, Neutral Special, Forward Smash, Down Tilt and Forward Tilt.
0% - Full power.
40% - Half power.
65% - Least power.
Mike is a normal-speed character, like Mario. He weighs slightly more. Despite being a fast character, Mike's jump isn't very good, being slightly better than Little Mac's or Ganon's. He can't use his Up Air, Down Air or Neutral Air very safely off-stage because of his bad jumping ability in conjunction with their ending lag.

TWIST: At 100%, Mike's shirt turns orange and he gains the Anklet boost. This will boost his jumping ability. His Up Special and Side Special will also benefit from this. This means that, if a player can survive past 65% and up to 100%, they can live longer - provided they're able to adapt to Mike's shift in useful moves.

Also, really, I don't believe any of the top ballot characters deserve playable status more than Mike. In fact, 99% of them don't deserve playable status at all, even when not being compared to Mike.
I went over a few of mike's weapons from the first game eariler but I guess I'll put them back in that I didn't see you mention:
darkcat1 said:
Torches- like mario's fireball these emit flames but would probably be more like a pinwheel fireball when thrown(this is how I'd update them)

Bolas- in the game these are used abit like link's bow as generic projectiles in many places. They could be just the same but could be updated to slightly tie up and slow down the other players
Wonder Horsehide- building on the pitcher theme we have the old bean ball! A short quick attack from this baseball weapon would probably daze you

Miracle Mirror- ever wanted to bounce back some of those pesky projectiles? Like link's mirror shield that's what this does...in a smash context Mike could pull this out of his pockets like Peach does with Toad...

Spiked Shoes- using these in Startropics has mike jumping about the screen and doing a kick attack. Would be useful in close quarters

Asterisk- two words: Ninja Stars. This can even split off in a couple of directions with a button press in the original game and might make a good high and low attack in SSB
Also Mike can jump. Most of the puzzles in StarTropics invove jumping on blocks so I'd make him decent at air figting...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Jumping is a pivotal point in StarTropics. I'd dare say you have to jump more than you have to attack (at least in the first game) so Mike having a good air game is essential. He has to have a competent recovery, maybe not too good (unless he can change to Anklet mode) but not sucky either.

Do you guys think he should have a tether recovery as well?
Perhaps while he's healthy (Supernova = great / Shooting star = ok) to avoid getting gimped early in the stock, and when he's worn out and relying only on his yoyo, he wouldn't have a tether anymore.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Mike does jump a lot, but it's more like a small hop. I'd say give him slightly better jump height/distance than Link, and give him air physics perfect for shorthopping tech.

Come to think of it, does Mike ever run in his games?

EDIT: Oh, and his double jump would go as high/far as his initial jump, seeing as his jump upgrade doubles his jump distance.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Mike does jump a lot, but it's more like a small hop. I'd say give him slightly better jump height/distance than Link, and give him air physics perfect for shorthopping tech.

Come to think of it, does Mike ever run in his games?

EDIT: Oh, and his double jump would go as high/far as his initial jump, seeing as his jump upgrade doubles his jump distance.
I don't know if you'd call it running but he can move pretty fast in dungeons. I'd say that he moves just a hair faster/abit faster than Link.(since StarTropics is based abit on Zelda but not totally) On the map screen he moves just like your typical RPG character on a map screen(like dragon quest or final fantasy)

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
So, looking around the internet, Mike Jones ALMOST made it to the list of most voted characters.
This is great, but I'd love for him to actually enter the ranks, you know?
Have his face among heavy hitters, even if he's on the opposite side of the list. That could bring a lot of hope!

btw, anyone know how they're tallying up these votes? Maybe that's just an estimate from the Facebook unofficial FIghter Ballot page.
Where on Earth did you find that list? And how do you know that Mike was almost on it? I'm a bit confused...

I just feel it's a bit off, I've never heard anyone voting for Zael or Wart. I find it hard to believe Lincoln is above someone like Mike who has a respectable tangible following.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Where on Earth did you find that list? And how do you know that Mike was almost on it? I'm a bit confused...

I just feel it's a bit off, I've never heard anyone voting for Zael or Wart. I find it hard to believe Lincoln is above someone like Mike who has a respectable tangible following.

Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier.
This is just some unofficial Ballot going on in a Facebook page. That way people could supposedly keep track of who's voting for who in the real one. But I don't think a lot of people are voting in two places at the same time.

At first I heard that Mike almost made it to that list. But no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find said complete list, only the Top 40 something image I posted earlier.

Anyway, I don't think that Facebook page is even remotely accurate of the true numbers.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier.
This is just some unofficial Ballot going on in a Facebook page. That way people could supposedly keep track of who's voting for who in the real one. But I don't think a lot of people are voting in two places at the same time.

At first I heard that Mike almost made it to that list. But no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find said complete list, only the Top 40 something image I posted earlier.

Anyway, I don't think that Facebook page is even remotely accurate of the true numbers.
Shouldn't be, but at the same time, 3 of my 5 most wanted newcomers are on there so I kind of hope it is!

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I think it's been pointed out, but Mike's jump height is abysmal in StarTropics, which is why I'd think his jump wouldn't be too good.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
That's why I said it should be slightly better than Link's, AKA Mr hardly-ever-jumps-at-all-while-doing-the-same-thing-Mike-does.

Also, I disagree that Mike's throws should be horrible, as part of Mike's character is that he's a ace pitcher. :p

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've been thinking that having an upgradeable yoyo system (Shooting Star, Supernova) is definitely the way to go for Mike. Not only for Captain Rainbow, but so his yoyo will look a lot more unique than Ness' as well.
I guess Captain Rainbow wouldn't be so bad. Ideally, I'd like both to get in at the same time.

Plus... he still has tons of other weapons and equipment he could potentially use.

I keep thinking Mike could start out as a semi-powerhouse character with middle ranged weapon (Supernova) but as he takes damage, it powers down to the other two forms, and his attacks get weaker+faster, turning him into a combo character when he's injured. So in short: KO character when healthy, combo character when hurt. That would be my ideal version of him.
To make things fair, his Supernova/Shooting Star would only be able to shoot one slow-ish projectile per screen time. :)

-
I wonder how the official Ballot is fairing. I've tried hard not to obsess over this.. I mean, the roster is almost perfect got me anyway... But how much longer will we have to wait to play as Mike again? In any game? T_T
I understand what you're getting at but I could see that making Mike difficult to play. Unless you're really good at not getting hit he won't have a lot of power to send your enemies flying.

I was kind of thinking more of his standard attacks vary with different weapons. His standard combo he uses the yo-yo, his strong attack uses the shooting star, and his smash is using the super nova that fires a projectile.

Also if we can make each style different I don't see why we can't have multiple yo-yo fighters. I mean look at how many swords and hammers. Nobody said we couldn't have Dedede because Ice Climbers already had hammers.

I should make a new MJ move set. I think the last one I made I hadn't finished Star Tropics 2 and I should add new custom options as well.

Last edited:

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I understand what you're getting at but I could see that making Mike difficult to play. Unless you're really good at not getting hit he won't have a lot of power to send your enemies flying.
It's not like there aren't already characters that play like this. Little Mac, for example, is really difficult to play unless you're focusing. I think that's fitting, too, because Mike and Little Mac are created by the same team.
That's why I said it should be slightly better than Link's, AKA Mr hardly-ever-jumps-at-all-while-doing-the-same-thing-Mike-does.

Also, I disagree that Mike's throws should be horrible, as part of Mike's character is that he's a ace pitcher. :p
Well, I guess that's partly what I meant. His throws would be strong, but they wouldn't kill easily, nor would they allow easy follow-ups.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
It's not like there aren't already characters that play like this. Little Mac, for example, is really difficult to play unless you're focusing. I think that's fitting, too, because Mike and Little Mac are created by the same team.
No, Little Mac is the opposite of that. He pretty much gets an instant KO when he takes enough damage. His attack power doesn't decrease.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm glad to see so much discussion going on. :D

Let's see:

I agree that Mike's yoyo style could be radically different from Ness just like how Marth is different from Ike and Link. Mike is an ace pitcher, so his yoyo style is more of an aggressive yoyo straight throw, rather than a swing like Ness' is.
The baseball bat, like some of us have mentioned before, could be the equivalent of a short version of Link's spin attack (spins once) to cover both sides.

As for his jump, I'd go for wide jumps/double jumps. In his games, it's all about reaching length instead of height (most of the time at least) so giving him wide jumps instead of high ones is a way to go. As should be for most of his recovery options, great horizontal, poor vertical. His GOOD vertical recovery would come in the form of his anklet, where depending on how you tilt the joystick you perform a high jump or a wide one.

I bumped into this the other day! I really really like it!
I love how his #7th color swap looks almost identical to Captain N. :3
I mean, dang! Never thought of combining the two, but it would be awesome!
And his moveset is exactly as mine (or exactly how it was at some point).

-
Anyway, I've been going to youtube videos about StarTropics to spread the word about the Ballot. Hope we get a little boost in votes. Especially thanks to that Gamegrumps video from a while back.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
No, Little Mac is the opposite of that. He pretty much gets an instant KO when he takes enough damage. His attack power doesn't decrease.
I'd rather not discuss this in an unrelated thread, but the K.O. punch exists for a reason. It's the inverse of him getting gimped, which is what MAKES HIM FRAGILE. His bad recovery and light weight mean Toon Link's down-smash can KO him at 0%. I'm serious. It's happened to me before. He's designed in a way that makes him play just like Punch-Out!! - he can't take anywhere near as many hits as his opponents, but he can dish hits out quickly and easily.
Also, for some reason, I have a problem with the Psychic Shockwave being a part of Mike's moveset without the damage-related gimmick. It doesn't make sense given the upgrades Mike obtains.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I dunno about you all but I definitely thought there was a better method of implementing Mike's yoyo state changes and mentioned as much in my move set for the character earlier on in the thread. It's also kinda cool seeing a bunch of the ideas I had starting to get mentioned more in other people's works. It's finally showing that the character is a big mess of potential. :D

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So while working on his movesetI really didn't come up with anything too different from that was already made. I did however was thinking about his custom options.

B: Super psychic shockwave
Custom 1: Psychic shockwave: a short rapid fire version
Custom 2: Ultra psychic shockwave: a longer range but slower rate of fire.

F B: Instead of a random throw you can have three throwing weapons. Bolos can stun. Asterisks can split open making them harder to dodge, or katana that has shorter range but a lot of power.

I'm also thinking of combining weapons in some move set. So for example, combining anklet and bat for a Link style recovery.

OH here's a gimmick idea. He can throw items better than anyone else. Better range and do more damage.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Hmm actually, I should probably think up some customs to go with my current move set.

Neutral Special 1 - Pitch (Wonder Horsehides) - [Work just like they do in that move set of mine I linked to above]
Neutral Special 2 - Pitch (Asterisks) - Mike pitches the Asterisk throwing blades forward. Pressing B after the pitch has them separate into two parts that travel upward and downward vertically.
Neutral Special 3 - Pitch (Psychic Shockwaves) - Mike fires a pulse of energy forward that detonates on opponents. This projectile is most powerful closer to Mike and gradually weakens as it travels forward before fizzling out.

Side Special 1 - Swing (Baseball Bat) [See move set in link] Interacts with projectiles pitched with the B button. When swinging at the Asterisk projectile, Mike bunts the projectile upward on its side. Pressing B has the weapon separate into two parts that travel horizontally left and right. Swinging at Psychic Shockwaves energizes the bat with a powerful psychic charge that increases its knock back, swing speed and damage. The buff effect fizzles out over time however.
Side Special 2 - Toss (Caveman's Axe) - Mike throws this projectile overhead in a similar manner to the Hammer Bros. The angle and toss strength are controlled by the control stick and the length of the B button press respectively.
Side Special 3 - Toss (Merlin's Sword) - Mike telekinetically twirls Merlin's Sword forward a short distance in a manner similar to Palutena's forward tilt before retracting it back to himself.

Down Special 1 - Miracle Mirror [See move set in link]
Down Special 2 - Staff of Wonders - Emits a pulse of light that leaves standing opponents caught in the burst stunned in place. The button has to be held until the pulse is emitted however. Since this charge isn't held like other specials (a la Samus' B charge), you have to constantly maintain the charge so you can use the pulse effectively.
Down Special 3 - Snowman's Curse - Pulls out a small snowman counter that when struck immediately freezes the opponent over.

Up Special 1 - Anklet Jump [See move set in link]
Up Special 2 - Anklet Ascension - Mike performs a extra high vertical jump with no forward distance but immediately enters a controllable special fall at the apex of the jump.
Up Special 3 - Southern Cross Kick - Mike leaps up then performs a powerful dive kick using his cleats that can be angled.

Edit: On a related note, I tried doing some Palutena codecs for our hero here. Do give them a look sometime.

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I still like the idea of handing him the super laser for a mega weapon and bolas for one of his regular weapons. Also like I said eailer I love the idea of the Snowman doll as a stun type item. My idea for a final smash:

"Under the Southern Cross" - All of mike's weapons power up to maximum for a limited time irregardless of his damage. The loadout could change to more powerful versions of similar weapons

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of a unique gimmick for Mike. It involves a different side b for Mike, and I came up with it to satisfy those who think he should use his yo-yo a lot, and those who want him to use his sub-weapons a lot.

His new side-b is called Ace Pitcher. When he hasn't got a item, using it makes him pull out a subweapon (chosen at random) and pose with it for a small second. He can them use it just like a item, including firing it if it's a gun. (In fact, you should probably fire as much as you can before you throw it if it is a gun.) The subweapons don't have a set order, but there is a time limit before they can be drawn again (with the exception of rocks, because, well, they're rocks, and they act as a bogey prize for those who spam side b too much) and you cannot draw another subweapon if one of yours still exists on the battleground.

The twist is, if you use side b whilst holding any item- even stuff like pokeballs or Link's bombs, Mike will wind up, and then throw it ultra fast. You've heard of smash throws, but with this technique, Mike can perform a charged smash throw. He can only throw it forwards, but by angling the control stick, you can speed it up, slow it down, aim it higher or lower, and best of all, all things that can be thrown by Ace Pitcher can ricochet off a surface once, even ones that would other wise activate or disappear normally. Yes, you can ricochet Link's bombs, if you're quick enough to beat the fuse.

How does that sound? Keep in mind Mike isn't Villager, so he won't be throwing Link's boomerang or his arrows, but I imagine there would be a lot of mix-up potential, albeit not a 100% reliable one if the opponent has no holdable projectiles.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I still like the idea of handing him the super laser for a mega weapon and bolas for one of his regular weapons. Also like I said eailer I love the idea of the Snowman doll as a stun type item. My idea for a final smash:

"Under the Southern Cross" - All of mike's weapons power up to maximum for a limited time irregardless of his damage. The loadout could change to more powerful versions of similar weapons
Looking back on my move set is funny. I realize how old it is every time I look at that Final Smash listing (I made it in 2007 and couldn't think of something good to give him once Brawl hype was in full swing and thought of just exaggerating one of his base abilities). Thinking about it now, dragging people through a set of wormholes through time with the Oxford Wonder World (and seeing humorous versions of the characters dressed in period specific costumes) before launching them out sounds hype as hell. :lol

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh, NOW you guys are talking! I like the idea of Mike being the best item thrower in the game. It would be a different kind of hard counter for item-type projectile characters that don't involve a reflector (although he still has the mirror, which works for energy based projectiles anyway).
Faster throw + double damage from item throwing sounds sick! Imagine Peach's stich-face turnip's power in Mike's hands!

I reckon he would also need a special ability to catch items with ease. Something close to Villager's "Pocket", but should be limited for immediate use instead.

And I just thought of a wacky little Final Smash idea.

A vortex appears around Mike, and Zoda's shadow appears in the background. Mike quickly jams bannanas in his ears as Zoda speaks *insert text-scrolling sfx from StarTropics as he speaks*, and everyone caught in the sound-waves he generates from his voice is stunned. When Zoda is finished speaking, his floating face form appears, grins at the screen, and lets two of his floating hands slam the floor causing a super powerful POW block effect. Then Zoda leaves.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I just thought of a unique gimmick for Mike. It involves a different side b for Mike, and I came up with it to satisfy those who think he should use his yo-yo a lot, and those who want him to use his sub-weapons a lot.

His new side-b is called Ace Pitcher. When he hasn't got a item, using it makes him pull out a subweapon (chosen at random) and pose with it for a small second. He can them use it just like a item, including firing it if it's a gun. (In fact, you should probably fire as much as you can before you throw it if it is a gun.) The subweapons don't have a set order, but there is a time limit before they can be drawn again (with the exception of rocks, because, well, they're rocks, and they act as a bogey prize for those who spam side b too much) and you cannot draw another subweapon if one of yours still exists on the battleground.

The twist is, if you use side b whilst holding any item- even stuff like pokeballs or Link's bombs, Mike will wind up, and then throw it ultra fast. You've heard of smash throws, but with this technique, Mike can perform a charged smash throw. He can only throw it forwards, but by angling the control stick, you can speed it up, slow it down, aim it higher or lower, and best of all, all things that can be thrown by Ace Pitcher can ricochet off a surface once, even ones that would other wise activate or disappear normally. Yes, you can ricochet Link's bombs, if you're quick enough to beat the fuse.

How does that sound? Keep in mind Mike isn't Villager, so he won't be throwing Link's boomerang or his arrows, but I imagine there would be a lot of mix-up potential, albeit not a 100% reliable one if the opponent has no holdable projectiles.
Actually this is pretty cool idea. My only issue is I don't like random moves because its really hard to use. I really like the charging throw idea. I wonder if they could incorporate that into his regular item throw action. So if you hold the button down he charges it and can deal nearly smash level damage with items (providing he has enough time). I can see that making him the best edge guarder in the game.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet

THAT'S INGENIOUS!
Also, I'd think Mike's ideal final smash is the Spiked Shoes(or cleats, if you prefer).
Either that, or the Try Your Luck sign. It has a random chance to do nothing, drop one stock from all opponents or drop two stocks from all opponents.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I'm stealing this.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I still like the idea of him having subweapons for his specils but picking might be hard

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
They've announced that Mewtwo won't have a custom moveset. Hopefully that will change but that's going to make it harder to get in all of Mike's moveset. It doesn't affect his chances at all I don't believe.

Top Bottom