• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

For old time's sake...

Mike for Super Smash Bros 4.

Mike is the main character from the NES games StarTropics (and Zoda's Revenge).
He is a 15-year old ace pitcher who visits his uncle on an island, only to learn that he was captured by aliens.
After being given a Yoyo to fight the evils that lurk in the caverns beneath the islands, Mike embarks on a quest to save his uncle, destroy an alien warlord, and rescue three magical cubes who contain the secrets of a lost civilization.

Why his games should be considered:

Both StarTropics, while created by a japanese team (same team that made Punch Out!) were created specifically for western audiences, as a result, these games were never released in Japan.
However, the fact that Startropics remained a pure western franchise is more the reason to include Mike in smash, just like MARTH and ROY introduced us to Japan only games, then Mike could potentially also introduce the games to japanese gamers. (The downside of course, is that StarTropics had only two games, as were Fire Emblem was real popular in Japan and still is)

Chances at:
-Retro spot (Nes only)
-Western games (Europe and NA only games)

Moveset:
Mike has a LOT of weapons at his disposal, but his recurring weapon consists of a Yoyo. (Unlike Ness who is limited to TWO smash attacks with it, Mike would use a yoyo for standard moves).
He also wields base-balls, cleats, and bats, to stuff like twin-shuriken, alien phaser guns, and bolas.

Here's an example of a (special only) moveset I came up with for him.

B: Psychic Shockwave
(This move starts out strong, but over the course of battle, specifically, when damage starts racking up for Mike, its range and power diminishes)

B-Down: Magic mirror
(This move reflects ENERGY projectiles only)

B-Tilt: Random throw
(Works sort of like Dedede's tilt-b except with projectiles, such as horsehyde baseballs, bolas, etc)

B-Up: Anklet boost
(Gains the ability to jump twice as high. The move doesn't inflict damage, but it has a wind factor that pushes opponents away while performing it).

Final Smash:
1./Snowman Doll
(A cold circular shockwave freezes anyone who gets near).

2./Ghost Reveal
(Mike uses a special scepter to reveal ghosts all around, these latch on to opponents causing them to slow down their movements considerably, as they drain health)

GAMEPLAY GIMMICK: (since Sakurai is apparently focused on this)

In StarTropics, HEALTH played an important part in the strength of his attacks.
In ST1, he could upgrade his YoYo, to a Morning Star-like weapon, to a cosmig Morning Star-like weapon that could shoot bolts across the screen.
In ST2 he had a similar concept, except with an ability called PSYCHIC SHOCKWAVE.
However, these upgrades were only accessible, if Mike had enough Health to support them.

So in SSB Mike should have this mechanic re-introduced. So he would be a strong starter, but gets weak as the battle progresses.

YOYO: Does not detach projectile. (mid range, E.G. Link's sword)
SHOOTING STAR: Detaches a projectile that travels a bit more. (E.G. Zamus whip)
SUPERNOVA: Detaches a projectile bolt that travels across the screen. (E.G.

========================
Health Power:
0% > %40 (Full health)
41% > 89% (Average health)
90% > 999% (Bad health)

========================

ATTACKS:

A: A yoyo/shooting star/supernova: Rapid combo. (Infrequent projectiles, except Yoyo)
A-
tilt: Baseball bat > Attacks in a 360` radius.
A-down: Torch > Throws a burning torch to the ground (opponent can be damaged by flame)
A-up: Yoyo/Shooting Star/Supernova: Attack upwards.

Dash Attack: Slide

Nair: Yoyo/ShootingStar/Supernova: attack from air.
Fair: Homing Cleats Kick (works similar to Sonic's Homing Attack)
Dair: Super Laser Blast down (a short ranged laser blast with a shotgun-like spread)
Bair: Lamp strike (Strikes an opponent with a lit lamp, causing fire damage)
Uair: Asterisk (A long ranged, but slow projectile that, upon A press, splits into 2 projectiles, darting off in opposing trajectories, at 90` each)

Fsmash: Cleopatra's dagger (throws a bronze dagger ahead of him) (short-mid range)
Dsmash: Leonardo's katana (slices with a katana around him)
Usmash: Tink's Axe (throws axe diagonally upwards, Castlevania style)

Grab: Grabs an opponent with hands. (Don't buy Parappa's Yoyo grab..)
Pummel: Stomp (Stomps opponent's foot with his cleat shoe)
G-up: Throws psychic shockwave to the ground, propelling opponent upward.
G-down: Throws opponent down, and stomps with cleats.
G-back: Throws opponents over his back, and follows up with a Triple spike ball strike.
G-front: Throws opponent in front of him, and blasts him down with a Laser Blaster.

So there you go. My second (and most likely last) support thread, to a character I believe should have been in since the original SSB.

Radical!

(a moveset video)

AwesomeAussie27
Raijinken
King Marth 64
Nintendotard
smashkirby
TORNADO BUS DRIVER
Hong
JohnathanACE
Aurora Jenny
NonSpecificGuy
darkcat1
smashkirby
Megadoomer
APC99
bksbestbwoy
Zage
Zzuxon
Stompman
TempahRelapse
Crap-Zapper
Davidreamcatcha
volbound1700
R.O.B.
asia_catdog_blue
fogbadge
GoldenYuiitusin
PsychoIncarnate
Frostwraith
Master Rapier
DakotaBonez
SmashChu
jigglover
shinpichu*
Phantom287
Darkshadow77
3Bismyname
grizby2
ItsSilverLPs
Komicturtle
legendofrob1
BluePikmin11
ChozoBoy
Sinn
Cobalsh
MetalMario128
shinhed-ECHI

(UNSURE)
Inawordyes
FalKoopa
Swampasaur

N3ON

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
His B move is microwaving Mario's crotch?

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Being a fan of Startropics, I can certainly say that I wouldn't mind seeing Mike in Smash 4. However, I really don't think it's likely at this point, unless Sakurai -REALLY- starts adding a lot of Retro characters...

volbound1700

Smash Master
He sounds like a great addition but his lack of appearance in Japan will likely doom it. I played and own Star Tropics (In fact my NES still works, I played Kirby's Adventures all the way through last night to get Perfect (I played the Extra game). I never could beat Star Tropics.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really don't think it's likely at this point, unless Sakurai -REALLY- starts adding a lot of Retro characters...
I think I agree with this.

The only reason why I think he stands a small chance, if any, is because of Sakiurai's statement to bring back more retro characters, not too long ago.

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even be making this thread. :D

It's a pipe dream, but here's hoping for the best.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think it should happen anyway since StarTropics was at least developed in Japan. If there were to be a revival, it could be international and have a puplic Japanese release.

:phone:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
He sounds like a great addition but his lack of appearance in Japan will likely doom it. I played and own Star Tropics (In fact my NES still works, I played Kirby's Adventures all the way through last night to get Perfect (I played the Extra game). I never could beat Star Tropics.
Well, i say it's high=time the west gets a character we know and understand. Yeah, Nippon will get confused and go, "WTF," but so did the west when they say Marth, Roy, and Lucas.

It's only fair.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
he certainly sounds like he'd be a cool fighter, so why not?

i'll admit i havnt played star tropics but it sounds good i'll be sure to look it up on the vc at some point

D

Deleted member

When I first saw him, I thought of him as a just a bit of a grown up Ness with the yo-yo and baseball bat.

And then I actually did research, and have come to this conclusion....
WHY THE HELL DID THIS SERIES NOT CONTINUE?!?

That being said, I'd love for Sakurai to pull a fast one and include a character known mostly outside Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness in Japan, such as Mike Jones, and one known mostly in Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness outside Japan, such as Takamaru.

Mike Jones has grown on me, despite never playing any StarTropics games, and I fully support his inclusion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe you should give him Leo's Katana. Have him more of a Psychic swordsman

Startropics 2 style.

That way he isn't a Ness clone, at least.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
When I first saw him, I thought of him as a just a bit of a grown up Ness with the yo-yo and baseball bat.

Mike Jones has grown on me, despite never playing any StarTropics games, and I fully support his inclusion.

It's nice to know its grown on you, I too tend to like some games once I read about them first.

I guess it's due to the misfortune of it being a western only franchise, together with the fact that the sequel was second to the last game released on the NES (while the Snes was already dominating) led to this franchise never having the attention it deserved, thus, not good enough sales, most likely. :(

Maybe you should give him Leo's Katana. Have him more of a Psychic swordsman

Startropics 2 style.

That way he isn't a Ness clone, at least.

While your idea is not bad at all (I dig magic sword users), there's nothing really Ness-clone-ish about Mike other than the weapons of choice.

Just like a sword can be used to slash, or to thrust (or both) Ness swings the yoyo, Mike PITCHES the yoyo as if it were a rock or a baseball.

I think yoyo as regular attacks could work really well. The way Mike uses the baseball bat, however, basically works like Link's Spin Attack.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I had the first game, it was really good. It played a little like the original Legend of Zelda the way the dungeons were set up but you got to use a lot of unique weapons.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

That being said, I'd love for Sakurai to pull a fast one and include a character known mostly outside Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness in Japan, such as Mike Jones, and one known mostly in Japan in order to raise popularity and awareness outside Japan, such as Takamaru.

Sakurai said he would get more retro characters into Smash. I have to agree with this, they could put more characters from Japan only games at the same time they put characters from games more known in the West.

It would raise popularity in both zones and could spark the revival of more series or getting a certain series more known in other countries (think Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem).

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I just beat Star Tropics and that was an epic game. I mean is goes right up there with my favorite series Zelda. It has the best ending of any NES game I've ever beaten (which is a lot) I'm working on getting the sequel Zoda's Revenge but I've been busy.

I'm not sure if he should use the Yo-Yo as his primary weapon or the Super Nova. I'm only recommending the Super Nova because it would be a more unique weapon then say Ness's Yo-yo.

Also could you imagine the stages you could have?!

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am in Chapter 3 right now in the Ghost town/Cemetary stage. Tough game. The enemies need to drop more often.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yeah the game is tough but I feel like its mostly tough in a good way. There are still plenty of cheap shots they give.

Those rooms with spikes that randomly pop up in the ground.
Making you respawn in the room next to the entrance so you can't leave and refill your hearts.
Having you respawn in rooms full of enemies, random popping spikes, or both.

Other than that I was able to find everything and nearly solve all the puzzles without a guide. I'm not trying to spoil too much but with one puzzle you'll need to look up or unless you have the original instruction booklet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not sure, I still have my old NES and I had the game. I got through half of the Graveyard level but quit after I died a few times.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This game sounds F#$%$#% incredible. It's not a turn based rpg like Earthbound is it?
Isn't this the game that was made famous by having to pour water on the instruction booklet to beat the game? I don't think even a fourth of my games have a manual. I remember a friend of mine downloaded it off the wii shop and was telling me you had to pause the game, go to the home menu to read the instructions and find the water bucket button. Damn so THIS is the game that came from?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@Volbound1700 Yeah I died many times in that area. I got to the point I started searching around seeing if I forgot something because I didn’t think I was ready for the dungeon yet.

@DakotaBonz Nope its not turn base at all. The over world map looks like something out of Dragon Warriors but there isn’t any monsters. When you go into the dungeons it plays similar to Zelda.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah the game reminded me a great deal of the original LOZ when I first played it. (I had it before I ever tried any later systems). I really didn't get into the modern Nintendo games until a skiing trip with friends and we played Smash Bros 64. I had a Gamecube at the time and went and got Melee. Never looked back. I have played and beaten all the 3D Zeldas since (before then I just played the 2 NES ones) and I have played both the Galaxies and 64.

I use to be just into PC strategy games. Smash really got me into other games. However, I did play Star Tropics as a kid and loved it other than the difficult which as a child was frustrating. Star Tropics would be easier if you had better access to items that refill your health or had better drops.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm thinking Mike should use the super nova and have it more like a morning star flail. It would certainly stand out as a weapon. He could still use some yo-yo tricks as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they ever make another in the Star Tropics series, I want it to be a period piece set in the 90's.

With that said, I think they should go a little more into 90's U.S. culture, and Mike's interaction with it, as well as his battle with aliens. As such, it's not something they should take so seriously. It should probably be made by an American company if such.

A psychic kid with a yoyo that fights aliens. That's still the story of the mother series

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If they ever make another in the Star Tropics series, I want it to be a period piece set in the 90's.
Completely agree with this. :)

With that said, I think they should go a little more into 90's U.S. culture, and Mike's interaction with it, as well as his battle with aliens. As such, it's not something they should take so seriously. It should probably be made by an American company if such.
Since that's a trademark of StarTropics, then yeah, it should definitely keep the 90's U.S. culture (or in the case of Zoda's Revenge, hystorical culture). Things like the submarine code being the date of the American Revolution, etc, was subtle and clever, even if it's completely unrelated to the plot.
A psychic kid with a yoyo that fights aliens. That's still the story of the mother series
This is why both of these never merged... You see the Yoyo was only available in the first game, and the psychic powers were only in the second game... So luckily, they're still apart.

The first StarTropics gave me a sort of Indiana Jones-esque feel. While the second one gave me a sort of Back to the Future-esque feel.
Both were great, but I think the whole point of StarTropics is making Mike look like a young Indiana Jones, so definitely more of ST 1.

Maybe he could accidentally land on Wuhu Island, Minim Island, and other Nintendo islands. :D

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I would love to see a new Startropics game but I would be afraid it wouldn't be as good as the first one (just starting the second one today). With modern games they make them so easy and the enemies and puzzles will be dumbed down. If you take that out then Star Tropics is a pretty generic game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't think he'll be in this one, but I think he should be a Smash Bro eventually. Startropics is one of those games that doesn't get a lot of love. Guess it's the sands of time (it did well enough to get 2 games and was developed in Japan).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Does anyone know if it's on wii shop in Japan? Since if it was then it sort of got a japanese release anyway...
No, I don't think it is. Nintendo doesn't seem to like having to put effort into it's Virtual Console releases, hence why they haven't taken the opportunity to translate and release all the old games (like the Fire Emblems) that we missed in the US.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if there is a site or place you can send recommendations for the Virtual Console? I've heard rumors but I can't find anything. I have a list of games I really want them to be available.

Phantom287

Smash Rookie
Ah, StarTropics, this game brings back memories.

I'd love to see Mike in SSB, but, as others have mentioned, that's very unlikely.

Honestly, I think he should get in simply because Sakurai has given us three Japan-only Nintendo Characters (not counting ports and remakes), but no characters that only appeared in Western Nintendo games. Let's see a little more love for the west, okay Sakurai?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ah, StarTropics, this game brings back memories.

I'd love to see Mike in SSB, but, as others have mentioned, that's very unlikely.

Honestly, I think he should get in simply because Sakurai has given us three Japan-only Nintendo Characters (not counting ports and remakes), but no characters that only appeared in Western Nintendo games. Let's see a little more love for the west, okay Sakurai?
Samus says hi. No one in Japan likes him.

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
First of all, Samus is a WOMAN.
And I also have to disagree with Japan not liking the character. As far as I know, it's just the prime series they don't like that much.

But I do agree it would be fair to add him simply because Sakurai likes to ignore western only characters but adds some Japan only characters.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I always thought he would be nice when i noticed they were adding retro characters. though he is unlikely, he has my vote

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai were to placate the west, he would do it with characters that are actually requested like Little Mac or Ridley, not one that is even obscure to the majority of westerners. At least Marth and Lucas had a lot of popularity in their region before being included. Mike Jones is a cool character, but he really has terribly low priority for addition as either a retro character or a character with primarily western popularity, as many others outclass him in both categories.

:facepalm:

grizby2

Smash Lord
this time around i would actually LIKE to see a character that isn't mega popular or has a ton of priority, kinda like how ness was on the 64.

a "pleasent surprise" character.

i support mike :]

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
StarTropics is amazing. Basically it's Zelda with a yoyo, but still, amazing.
I would love to see Mike in SSB4, he has plenty of potential for a moveset, since he used LOTS of items

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really want to revive this thread. I had to take a break from Star Tropics 2 but I believe I'm nearly done with it. He has so many abilities that could be used it would be ridiculous.

Here is a list of weapons he uses in game.
Main Weapons
Yo - Yo
Shooting Star (Morning star)
Super Nova (Laser Morning Star)
Psychic Shock wave (Magic balls)

Side Weapons
Throwing knives, axes, and swords
Bolas
Torches that shoot fire
Baseball Bat
Slingshot
Reflection Mirror
Baseballs
Asterisk (exploding shirkens)
Laser Guns
Three way shot (throws three spike balls in a spray pattern)

Special Items
Spike Shoes (Warps to every enemy and kicks them in the face)
Anklet (doubles his jumping distance)
Snowman Doll (Freezes all enemies on sight)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I say bring it. It'd be nice to see Nintendo revive the Star Tropics series so why not have Smash Bros. be the place to promote it?

Top Bottom