• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terry Bogard's "I was wrong" thread.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Eh

Not my cup of tea, but I'm surprised he made it after those leaks spread out.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna pretend a roided up Ash Ketchum got in SSB.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I was obsessed with Fatal Fury when I was little--and Terry was definitely mine favourite character to use. I actually liked it better than Street Fighter; no disrespect intended. After Ryu was confirmed for Smash 4, I always imagined what Terry would be like in Smash. However, I never really expected him to make the cut. Ergo, I was glad see him revealed in Smash Ultimate. Judging by the brief footage we got, it seems he'll have the same input gimmick as Ryu.

Overall, I'm really eager to play as him. I have a gut feeling he'll be mine third main.

slambros

Smash Ace
I didn't think it was gonna be him. I thought he was "too obvious". I was thinking it'd be Haohmaru or Nakoruru. But Terry is surely an icon who deserves inclusion. Very good for SNK and for the fans of their games.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Thought people were sleeping on SNK in general. A historic company making a comeback. King of Fighters is beloved in parts of the world.

I had them among my front runners alongside Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, Doomslayer, Tales, Heihachi, Dark Souls, Ryu Hayabusa, Professor Layton, and Crash Bandicoot. That list hasn't changed for character 5 albeit I find Heihachi less likely due to Bogard's inclusion.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I will admit, I totally discounted Terry Bogard. Even when the leaks were coming out, I thought that SNK was too small to get a character. In retrospect though, an SNK character does make a lot of sense. Sakurai was a Japanese arcade goer in the 90s, back when the SNK/Street Fighter rivalry was at its pitch. Plus, SNK has arguably been the 3rd Party studio most loyal to the Switch. They've supported it since day one, when many other studios thought it was destined to be another Wii U and chose to avoid it, and they've kept up this support for awhile now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Terry was my friend's most-wanted and one of mine as well but I never for a moment thought he would get in. When the leak happened my heart sang but I wanted to hype responsibly.

I was wrong, and just like with Joker, I've never been happier to be so wrong.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I was never wrong. I just did not know how likely it was, but supported from day one.
Love the SNK games, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, etc, so Terry was well known and a beloved mascot for SNK in my book, and my first choice of the company.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sort of wrong. I underestimated SNK's chances big time as I figured Tekken was the bigger fighting franchise.

However the second it was leaked it was SNK I figured it'd be Terry.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wasn’t wrong. I wanted Terry as the SNK rep if there was one. He was my #1 pick for the SNK rep.

But I must admit the trailer where the other SNK characters tried to get the envelope had me on edge. I was screaming and jumping when Terry got the envelope.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I maybe not know much about Fatal Fury, King of Fighters or SNK in general.
But I do know that there are many out there excited for him in this game and to me, that's all that matters.

Welcome to the roster Terry!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I wasn’t wrong. I mean I have heard of Fatal Fury and King of Fighters and **** but I wasn’t familiar with the characters including him.

But what does any of that **** matters. I welcome all newcomers.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I seriously thought Nakoruru would be the best rep for SNK. Still do but I love Fatal Fury and King of Fighters so I am perfectly fine seeing him in. And his render sold me. I’m really digging it. It’s also nice to see another FF character get some recognition. Mai and Geese recently did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just like I said in the RTC a few months back, I wouldn't be mad if I totally subestimated Terry or any SNK character happening (even then I felt that I probably wasn't given SNK enough credit). Glad to have Terry on board.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
The only game that I actually know him from personally is Capcom vs SNK 2 but I'm glad he made it in Smash. I'm pretty excited for this character. He's probably going to be all kinds of busted.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Never wrote a post on here or any website denying it, but an SNK character was a dream for me. Nothing more than a fantasy for the longest time. Almost fainted when I woke up to the leaks. Even then I was a bit in denial because it was just so out there for me. This is probably my most wanted. Sakurai, I LOVE YOU.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Pleasantly surprised dude over here who likes him some SNK fighters - especially Garou. I wanted Kyo myself and didn't actually believe any SNK content would make it, but I'm grateful Terry's reach has extended to Smash as well. It was only a matter of time!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I honestly didn't think it was gonna be Terry... not because I disliked him or thought he was just generally unlikely, but because I thought SNK would've wanted someone else in Smash. When that SNK copyright leak came out, I went and looked back on all the times that SNK characters have been making guest appearances in other fighting games these past few years...
  • Geese Howard in Tekken 7
  • Mai Shiranui in Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
  • Iori Yagami in Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
  • Terry Bogard in Fighting EX Layer
  • Kula Diamond in Dead or Alive 6 (with Mai also returning)
  • Haohmaru in Soulcalibur VI
There's obviously no rule that a character can't be in more than one crossover, but each of the above games was using a different character every time. With Terry already being in Fighting EX Layer, I figured that Ultimate would've instead went for an SNK character that hadn't made a guest appearance yet, such as Kyo Kusanagi from King of Fighters, Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown, Athena, or a Metal Slug character.

In the end, I was wrong, and it ended being Terry again... and I don't mind that one bit, because not only does Terry look awesome, but it's also pretty cool just having an SNK character in Smash at all.

Top Bottom