• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terry Bogard Charge Partitioning

ZenMars

Smash Rookie
I made a account just so I can post and talk about this.

Anyhow Terry can charge partition. I didn't discover it. Famous FGC player Momochi discovered it.

This video (not by me) explains it.

I found a easier way to do it. You are actually able to do a easier version of this. You could do the same trick he is doing but running back or forth.

You just tilt the stick to do a run and while running hold down and the direction you want to run, then you just up B to get your invul rising tackle!

It's quite amazing how Terry even has this in Smash.

Last edited:
GimR made a video about it yesterday, he goes into more details about how the charge partitioning mechanic works (the part about charging starts at 1:15):

You can also charge Rising Tackle midair, it makes a great recovery option. It's pretty well explained near the end the video (around 5:52).

Last edited:

ZenMars

Smash Rookie
GimR made a video about it yesterday, he goes into more details about how the charge partitioning mechanic works (the part about charging starts at 1:15):

You can also charge Rising Tackle midair, it makes a great recovery option. It's pretty well explained near the end the video (around 5:52).
Thanks for the video, but this isn't charge partitioning. These are just normal charge tricks. Original charge Partitioning involved moving and cutting charge into parts. Charge Partitioning came originally from 3rd Strike.

I am showcasing this in the video I posted and expanding upon it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, but this isn't charge partitioning. These are just normal charge tricks. Original charge Partitioning involved moving and cutting charge into parts. Charge Partitioning came originally from 3rd Strike.

I am showcasing this in the video I posted and expanding upon it.
Most of those 'normal charge tricks' can also apply to charge partitioning and help understand how the mechanic works. Sure, the video is not exclusively about it but most of the info is clearly linked to it, GimR even starts the video specifying that he's going to discuss charge partitioning.

I thought the video would speak for itself but maybe i was wrong, i'll breakdown the relevant info just to be clear:

- You can stack charge frames (2:13) (the core element of the charge partitioning mechanic).
- Charging takes 24 frames total (1:16) (whether or not the charge frames are partitioned or consecutive).
- You can charge during any move or animation (1:27) (you can also charge during any attack animation, not just during movement).
- The charge stays stacked for 11 frames after you let go of down, however if you press down again before that, the 'timer' will reset back to 11 frames (1:43) (so every instance of charging you do during your charge partitioning must respect this time window or else you'll lose your stacked charge).
- Holding diagonal down will count as holding down (it's shown mutliple times in the video, just like in your 'running while holding diagonal down' example from your first post).

Last edited:
Top Bottom