• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teran the House Down

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Link to original post: [drupal=5503]Teran the House Down[/drupal]

Oh hey UB. When was the last time I made a proper blog entry? A lon long time ago I presume, long enough that nobody cares. Anyway I am bored, and as it's been a long long time since my last post, there are a whole host of things I could talk about. So... instead of writing some emotionally heavy story, or some lament about the difficulties of life, I'll just drop a whole bunch of mental spaghetti on your lap.

There may be many things I say that I do not sincerely believe, this is just going to be a huge offload of thoughts and observations.

Don't you get irked by those people who say "the meaning of life is what you make of it?". I mean I don't like calling things cliché because ultimately everything is in a way, but I mean I suppose the word most often applies when one spouts something that's supposed to be the result of deep thought without actually thinking. Not thinking... yeah. That's sort of a serious problem a lot of people have. So anyway, what is so gay about this saying? I mean first of all, what is meaning exactly? A purpose right, a grand design or something like that. Right, and exactly how does that pan out without any sort of spiritual forces or deity at work? It doesn't because without those, there is literally no purpose to anything you do. "Oh but your actions have a knock on effect, they could affect the world for years to come!". Then the world is destroyed, and the purpose and meaning that lived only within the memory of mankind dies with them. I guess I started out way more pseudo intellectually than I would have liked, I suppose I wanted it to be funnier. But really though, what? So anyway, this is a large part of why I could never blame anyone for clinging to religious or spiritual beliefs even if they were all scientifically debunked without any sort of question (they haven't all been, technically), because that truth isn't even scary, it's flat out tragic. The complete worthlessness and insignificance of everything. I mean, all the suffering and striving to flourish, the journey of life, nullified in a flash. That's got to be the worst feeling in the world, provided you can wrap your head around the idea.

"Life is what you make oif it!" (Unless you are a delusional schizophrenic, then you are insane and need plenty of pills to get better! Enjoy your stay in the padded cell.)

Did you know that horse smegma is carcinogenic?

Have you ever noticed that all those absurd societal rules that everybody knows are baseless but continue to adhere to are mostly enforced and perpetuated by women? I suppose it's partly to do with their jobs as mothers, and their increased social awareness driving them to drum such things into their child, but whatever maaaaaaan. "Oh you mustn't wear a handkerchief in that pocket darling only uncultured people do that."
Zealots of the Status Quo since time immemorial. It's not a bad thing in every case, since a lot of status quo is, of course, quite justified, but it becomes a bit irritating when it is a silly norm. The problem basically becomes exacerbated by the fact that men buckle and bend to all the ******** whims of these women because they are too weak minded to stand their ground over getting some. Depriving men of sex once stopped a civil war, God why are guys so pathetic?

You know I remember once hearing the rationale of "people shouldn't use an offensive even in a context where it isn't offensive, because one can't expect people to think about the context of what was said."

Yes indeed.

One shouldn't expect people to think.

I know I make a lot of wisecracks about society and people in general, but come on, unless you are a vegetable I generally expect you to think. Are we really in a world where actually thinking is considered a rare and exceptional trait?

You know what's hilarious? How both genders truly distrust members of the same gender. How is this apparent? Fathers will not allow a boy within 10 miles of his daughter, because all men know that MEN ARE DOGS. So one day the mother will softly try to break the news of the daughter having a boyfriend, after a particularly delicious meal and fantastic sex, performing certain acts that have long since stopped after marriage. The father's response? "Where is the ***hole, and where's my shotgun?". With any limited (or no) knowledge of the boy in question, he will rationalise how terrible he is for his daughter, how he is at the very best, a total dog because of course, he's superimposing his own mental workings onto him.

Now we all know the bane of a wife's existence is the mother-in-law. Women are massively protective and shelter their sons to absurd extents, moreso than their daughters. Ironic isn't it? You'd think a boy could take care of himself, but when a mother watches her sweet, simple minded son grow up, her precious darling is just far too wonderful and unique to be stolen by some ****ing trampy **** (that starts with a "c") who will do nothing but manipulate her baby, as she manipulated her husband's emotions. The harlot who will twist her son's mind and turn her son against her, his own mother, who gave him life! He is MY son you *****!

Moral of the story: We mistrust and dislike members of our own sex at a deeper level than we do the opposite one, contrary to popular belief.

This is all true because I said so, I performed experiments by using a handful of real life observations, and fleshed it out with countless fictional hypothetical scenarios. Because of this, it is objective proof and is soon to be pulished in the scientific journal "Nature".

It makes me laugh when straight guys tell me "man it must be great being gay in the sense that you don't have to deal with all the bull**** and crazy of women."

Sadly what they fail to realise is that homosexuals are not all masculine behaving (well I think everyone knows this but then they've just said something without thinking again! Oh no this keeps coming up, maybe I should call this "The Power of Thought"), Indeed there are, crudely speaking, 2 types of homosexuals (there aren't, but that's why I said crude you dolt, don't twist this into one of those kinds of debates). There are masculine homosexuals, and effeminate ones. It doesn't necessarily split into active and passive sexual roles, although 9 times out of 10 these of course, do correlate. Also, people don't realise that feminine behaviour does not simply entail wearing gaudy outfits and being all tralalala~ like a total ***got. OH TERAN THAT IS REALLY RUDE. What it entails, is for example, being more prone to act on impulse and intuition rather than trying to think it through andf act, it entails things such as trying to tie everything together and thinking in complex webs, contextualising stuff, sometimes in abstract ways, rather than having a powerfully linear train of thought. These opposite styles of behaviour aren't good or bad, they are advantageous and disadvantageous in certain situations, but that's what variety gives us, strengths and weaknesses. The point is, a lot of guys think that just because a certain gay dude acts like a rational human being and not a peacock with a cactus up its arse that they are a "masculine" gay, and thus their personality will be all chill and "**** it dude", and that their arguments will often make total sense, and that they won't start arguments over totally bizarre leaps of logic. This is untrue, so us ACTUAL masculine homosexuals still have to deal with the same old same old. Still, deep down we know it's what we want. We are attracted to these feminine traits, even with all the less desirable baggage it comes with. Why? Because we instinctively know that their different attitudes and ways of thinking can allow them to perform tasks and make certain important decisions better than we could. The partnership of these two entities combines the strengths of both to form a much more powerful and successful one. In theory anyway.

So since we're on the subject of generalisation (we're not but you're thinking it so I'll use that as a segue), let's close with the most annoying ****ing thing that is constantly repeated irl and on the internet when certain things are said. So say someone says something like this before continuing on a train of thought and they've generally said intelligent and thought out stuff apart from:

"Asians are good at mathematics"

"Asian parents are really strict"

"Men only care about sex"

OH MY GOD. IT'S A GENERALISATION.

NOT ALL ASIANS ARE GOOD AT MATHEMATICS YOU KNOW OMG ALL THIS STEREOTYPING AND GENERALISING.

MY PARENTS ARE COOL ASIAN PARENTS **** YOU.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF I DON'T ONLY CARE ABOUT SEX.

The point is when one makes a sweeping statement, they generally (lol) don't mean ALL. It's just more convenient. Things like stereotypes and such other things do exist for a reason, and a lot of these observations are not at all baseless, it would just, of course, be stupid to imply that everyone of said group fits within the statement. Of course such statements DON'T imply this, in fact someone with a working brain should find the opposite to be implicit.

But you don't, because you think you're super smart by pointing out a cheap thing to argue against, for the sole purpose of sounding smart and intellectual. Leave the pedantry for the courtroom and academic journals, in the ebb and flow of casual discourse, I like to just say that black people have dark skin and not be refuted by a picture of an albino black man and a smug essayette.

Have a good day.

Teran out.

I did not proof read this blog, I never proof read anything I write.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I would argue that life is about making it more bearable as long as we're here. True, none of this will be remembered when the sun incinerates our world, but maybe the reason that I shouldn't punch in you in the face isn't because someone will remember me as a ******* or I'll spend an extra five minutes in purgatory, but because it will hurt you.

Since my son was born, I've stopped worrying about the BIG picture so much (by "BIG" I mean in the existential sense, out generations and centuries from now), and instead tried to focus on making today as enjoyable for him, myself, and everyone else around me as possible. None of it matters on the cosmic scale, or even in the long run, but it matters now, and all we really have is now anyway.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To me I think the main problem is that people generally misunderstand the idea of life being what you make of it, and tie it to the idea of overall meaning etc.

The whole rippling effect of action and consequence obviously gives credence to life being what you make of it, but that isn't the meaning of life, if you know what I mean, the whole purpose etc the BIG QUESTION.

But yeah then continuing on to ditto what I initially said in the blog.

So basically I just think people shouldn't tack on empty disingenuous clichés onto the big question. It's perfectly okay not to ask it and not to bother debating it, just don't walk in and take a mindless piss in the pool.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That title made me claw out my eyes.

Why
I would say "that's why", but now that you're blind you can't read it.

If I laugh hard enough at your plight, maybe it will be telepathically transmitted.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
One of my favorite parts of Durarara is a part where a character is talking and says an older individual came up to him and asked what the meaning of life was, and in response, the character beat him to an inch of his life. It was to be funny, but I could see the underlying meaning behind the reaction, him being a character about action and not so much thinking (two ways to look at it: him hurting the guy for asking a dumb question, or putting the man on the brink of death and making the man cling to his will to live). It's in this area, the concept of meaning of life and that nonsense, is pretty much the one thing we should cease thinking about. Obsessing over it or dreading it and so on is pointless and potentially dangerous. We're a bunch of organisms, alive, and we have to share this planet together. The question of "why?" should really stop before it is asked.

The female/male role thing reminds me of one time in high school a lesbian was talking about lesbianism and her relationship with her fellow lesbianist, saying that there aren't such roles, and got annoyed when someone asked, "So who wears the pants of the relationship?" I remember going, "So... neither of you where pants?" (Har har har har). But really, I kind of understood what she meant, but felt at the same time it wasn't entirely sincere considering there are dominant and submissive personalities (and in different ways) and so on. She perhaps was defensive about the "black and white" generalizing in terms of gender that it reeked of, like how you mention in your blog post. She was probably particularly zealous about it being she looked like a boy.

2nd law of thermodynamics from a chemistry perspective. "A reaction can only occur if it increases the entropy of the system or the surroundings." Perhaps one way to view it is that in the entire universe there is a limited quantity of reactions that can occur which would imply there is no such thing as infinite recycling. Eventually everything will be used up. The destruction of human kind in that sense is all but foretold.

However, it can might be forestalled. How long could the human race live? Or rather how far could the spawns of the human race still make a mark in the history of the univeres. No one can be certain, but perhaps its best to take it one step at a time. The first step I see is getting off this rock.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow Teran speak for yourself I care about more than just sex!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I heard it's a common survival strategy for nerds.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
When I say 'life is what you make of it' to someone, I generally think of something like "If the person has a positive outlook on the world, then the world is gonna be a happier place for them. If they view it this way or that way, they're going to see evidence to prove their point and focus on their evidence. I don't think that's necessarily good or bad, just different perspectives, and I do enjoy that because I am of the view that the world takes many different types, many different thoughts and ideas to have such creativity and knowledge that we enjoy today.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
When I say 'life is what you make of it' to someone, I generally think of something like "If the person has a positive outlook on the world, then the world is gonna be a happier place for them. If they view it this way or that way, they're going to see evidence to prove their point and focus on their evidence.
The problem is that in many cases, terrible things can and does happen to positive and kind people. Yes, good things can happen to them to, but sometimes, what happens in life can be the result of a roll of the cosmic dice, if you will.

:phone:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People are way into the whole life thing.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Definitely one of my favourite useless factoids.

Its intriguing how something which might appear useless in a sentence or phrase to someone can avalanche into carrying much weight to a person. One person does most of the nurturing of the statement while most other people don't give a
care

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There is no meaning or purpose behind life, we just choose to put value into things arbitrarily (including life itself). So in a way, "life is what you make of it" is a corny, simplistic version of the truth that is said by generally more corny, simplistic people.

Dislike of our own gender most likely comes from the fact that we compete with them for mating rights.

Also, I wouldn't say most women insist on trivial principles for the sake of etiquette or being 'culured'. I think that's just your British environment talking there.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There is no meaning or purpose behind life, we just choose to put value into things arbitrarily (including life itself). So in a way, "life is what you make of it" is a corny, simplistic version of the truth that is said by generally more corny, simplistic people.

Dislike of our own gender most likely comes from the fact that we compete with them for mating rights.

Also, I wouldn't say most women insist on trivial principles for the sake of etiquette or being 'culured'. I think that's just your British environment talking there.
You make it sound so simplistic and instinctual, dre. :p

@Diviner: True but usually those people find ways around it. For instance, a person might get mugged but they'll recover and find they treasure life because it was so nearly taken away from them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That example wasn't meant to be the case for every incident.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
You know what's hilarious? How both genders truly distrust members of the same gender. How is this apparent? Fathers will not allow a boy within 10 miles of his daughter, because all men know that MEN ARE DOGS. So one day the mother will softly try to break the news of the daughter having a boyfriend, after a particularly delicious meal and fantastic sex, performing certain acts that have long since stopped after marriage. The father's response? "Where is the ***hole, and where's my shotgun?". With any limited (or no) knowledge of the boy in question, he will rationalise how terrible he is for his daughter, how he is at the very best, a total dog because of course, he's superimposing his own mental workings onto him.

Now we all know the bane of a wife's existence is the mother-in-law. Women are massively protective and shelter their sons to absurd extents, moreso than their daughters. Ironic isn't it? You'd think a boy could take care of himself, but when a mother watches her sweet, simple minded son grow up, her precious darling is just far too wonderful and unique to be stolen by some ****ing trampy **** (that starts with a "c") who will do nothing but manipulate her baby, as she manipulated her husband's emotions. The harlot who will twist her son's mind and turn her son against her, his own mother, who gave him life! He is MY son you *****!

Moral of the story: We mistrust and dislike members of our own sex at a deeper level than we do the opposite one, contrary to popular belief.
You know, I've actually been thinking about this recently. And I think in most cases, what you said is correct (mothers/fathers projecting their attitudes onto others of the same sex). However, don't you think it might also be justified at times? For example, let's say someday far in the future, I have a daughter, and someday even farther in the future, she finds a boy and starts to date. I as a father will be worried, because even though I am not a "dog" and even though I have never been a dog, most of the guys I knew growing up were dogs. Hell, the majority of guys I know right now (either friends or acquaintances) do think almost exclusively about sex when it comes to girls, and they treat dating as an exercise in seeking it out, and brag to their buddies when they get laid, etcetera etcetera. So shouldn't the future me, as a father, be worried that statistically speaking, most of the boys my daughter meets will be looking for sex and not much else? (and please nobody bring up whether that's a bad thing or not, because that's a different discussion for a different day. This is purely about whether a parent is justified in being skeptical about the intentions of their child's significant other). Granted, "being worried/concerned/skeptical" is not the same as locking her up in a chastity belt and banning her from ever being around boys and busting out the shotgun when she finds a boyfriend without even giving the guy a chance, but you know what I mean. Similar principle, maybe?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think it just comes to talking to your daughter (which most fathers won't because their little angel is never interested in sexual/romantic thoughts), and tell her to be wary of boys' intentions in general. Ultimately it's impossible to really have someone learn the truth until they've experienced it first hand. Often a girl, being wilier than a teenage boy, will test the waters with him and suss out his ill intentions.

It's why a lot of teenagish (17-18) date younger girls in my experience, because by this age they've learned to navigate the more simplistic minefield of a younger teenage girl's tests and endup scoring. Basically the guys that do end up dating girls the same age during teenage years usually aren't only in for the sex, and if they are and do end up scoring, they are quite smart for their age.

From what I've seen anyway.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What I don't like is the fact that most people are happy with a guy sleeping around, but not a girl.

If I had a daughter, I wouldn't care if she slept around, as long as she knew to be protected, and wasn't a trashy girl with no self-confidence. If she was an intelligent girl and knew what she was doing I wouldn't care how many partners she had.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well here's hoping you can cross that bridge successfully when you come to it.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
What I don't like is the fact that most people are happy with a guy sleeping around, but not a girl.

If I had a daughter, I wouldn't care if she slept around, as long as she knew to be protected, and wasn't a trashy girl with no self-confidence. If she was an intelligent girl and knew what she was doing I wouldn't care how many partners she had.

yo ,can I get your daughter's number tho :troll:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm not going to have kids though. I probably won't even get married lol.

Soz for the clock-block.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Some country in Africa.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'll read your blog, Teran!

Omg this is long, let me go get some coffee or something.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's not even that long, you should see what happens when I'm really excited.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. The title of this blog is awesome.
2. Teran, you write a lot. That says a lot, since I usually write at least 8 lines worth of words in just about every post I make.
3. The primary (instinctive; this isn't covering the cultural realm) reason that people are more prudent with their female children than their male children: because females are generally physically weaker, and because of that, they can be physically and sexually abused. ****, sexual abuse, and violence against females (by males) is a lot more common than most people think (in any country, culture, or whatever form of group you want to use), although sadly, people look at outside sources (ie: a random boy at school) instead of the more common sources (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, family friends, etc). Even more sad is when we turn our backs on these women, who are the victims, not the culprits.

The same is true with pretty much every crime one person commits on a person (including murder, theft, etc).

Going back to the origin of my 3rd point, instincts tells us that a parents' daughter (lol, that's a funny phrase) being surrounded by multiple males is a threat. If you look at any father when their girl is one or two girls around many guys, and they will tell you the same thing. And quite frankly, there is enough evidence to prove that their instinctual protection of their daughters is well placed. Males tends to have more violent instincts, and often, the barbarianism in men can leak out and lash out against said women, especially in the presence of anything mind altering.

I got a funny story for that to: when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I was put on Vicodin. Now, I'm a pretty peaceful, non-threatening guy, but when I was on it, apparently I snapped, threw paper plates at my family members, and apparently cursed out my entire family. I then awoke a few hours later, unaware of why everyone was mad at me.

Anyways, point of the story in relation to what I'm saying: parents fear the unconsciousness (and sometimes conscious) of (foreign; as in, not a family member) males, because of the male brain's unconscious violence and sexual desires. And obviously since we can't trust strangers (and through my points, sometimes even people we know who are strangers in more ways than we think), they are a threat, and they are to be avoided by our logic.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
1. The title of this blog is awesome.
2. Teran, you write a lot. That says a lot, since I usually write at least 8 lines worth of words in just about every post I make.
3. The primary (instinctive; this isn't covering the cultural realm) reason that people are more prudent with their female children than their male children: because females are generally physically weaker
I disagree, that wouldn't be a good enough reason to be more prudent/protective of them. The real reason is that females are more valuable than men, from a reproductive PoV.

Top Bottom