• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
quick intervention: someone remind me the dimensions of a premium sig

i got a new one i need to make

You can definitely believe he still has a chance, sure, but with Banjo here, I'm not putting any stock into a potential 2nd Microsoft character.
what about a season 2 though, that's what i think should be on everyone's minds because half the people either got they wanted or lost all hope

im on the team that it's very plausible but not confident that it's probable. no idea how long sakurai wants to keep going at the game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It's also kind of important to remember that only Isabelle and Simon had trailers that could easily be swapped around. The order of Inkling-Ridley-K. Rool-Incineroar was kind of set in stone.

Inklings were revealed with the game's first teaser. And Ridley had to come before K. Rool due to appearing in the Rivals opening. And K. Rool had to be before Incineroar because of the stinger at the end of his own trailer.
Didn't Simon also appear in Incineroar's trailer?

Albiet during gameplay so he could've been swapped out for say... Mega Man.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You're right the developers have just been sitting up in HQ twiddling their thumbs this entire time. Not like they've been making their first HD world or anything.

Criticize the game all you want but I'm kind of tired of this "GF is lazy narrative". If they're doing something wrong, it's probably resource management issue, not a "they're lazy" issue.

But we're all angry with them so lazy is the word we wanna stick to.
It's less that the developers are lazy, and that the company's primary way of operating necessitates a laziness to development and makes the products feel lazy. They have released a Pokemon game every single year since 2012 except for 2015. That's not enough time to develop such increasingly massive games and make meaningful improvements over the years. They've generally had no time to explore opportunities in the games or make changes despite people pushing for them more and more throughout the years. They have to go the "lazy" route because that's all they have time for. I agree, it's absolutely an issue with resource management and Game Freak has clearly struggled with a lot over the past few years. I'm sure that has a very real human cost of great and passionate developers being forced into unreasonable working hours and crunches are as far away from "lazy" as you could imagine.

But the products themselves still come off as lazy independent of the effort behind them. The choice to do pretty generic animation effects and movements instead of properly rendered attacks and movements is something that comes off as cutting the corners because they can get away with it. It made sense early on of course, but the more we get into the HD and modern era, the more it looks bad and "lazy." I realize there are tons of Pokemon and those things take lots of time to properly render and animate, especially when you may have to do tons of work to make that work with lots of different Pokemon. I know that's a fact and none of this is easy to do. Things like the game world and the Dynamax battles also look like they need lots of work to not be so noticeably unattractive to the eye. Textures look like they need lots of work and could use lots of touching up. And Pokemon hasn't really been a super good looking franchise since they used sprites and the 3DS games and even Let's Go have had frame rate issues. Again, moving from 3DS to HD Switch development is not easy and I wouldn't expect it to be. Nintendo has a pretty horrible track record of struggling with that transition anyway.

People have put up with a lot with regards to Pokemon over the past few years, and one of the saving graces that let so many of the issues get by was the fact that they retained all of those Pokemon across all the games. They existed and were coded with all of the proper mechanics in game no matter the specific release. The limitations of the 3DS also came into question and people accepted a lot of the problems because of those.

The Switch opens up a whole new dimension to Pokemon and should. The games are no longer bound by the constraints of portable hardware, enjoying nearly a 2 generation leap in graphical fidelity and represent the first HD Pokemon games. These are the first proper generation of Pokemon (and classic Pokemon experience all around) to come to a home console. They have a higher expectation set upon them than Pokemon games of the past. I don't think people expected them to get it right on their first try and they didn't. Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee were not particularly great looking games and were really basic remakes of Gen 1 that had a couple of nicer mechanics thrown in such as Pokemon following you around and appearing on the overworld instead of in random battles. Game Freak had their trial fun with Switch hardware in those releases and they did not do much at all with them.

In retrospect, maybe they shouldn't have been made at all and the focus of the past two years should have been exclusively on Sword and Shield. Because these games look like they need about another year of development time all around. The only new things they have thus far shown off have been the Dynamax system, which has landed completely flat with the fan base and most people criticize, and the open world mechanics. A great idea on paper that's obviously their first foray into such a concept. Again, people don't expect them to knock it out of the park on their first run... But it looks really rough right now. It's certainly the best Pokemon has ever looked... but that's not saying much and doesn't measure up to most of its major counterparts. Certainly not up to the standards set by Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. HD isn't some brand new, fancy thing, it's just a plain and simple requirement of working with the Switch and has been used as an industry standard for over a decade. It may be the first proper HD Pokemon experience, but it just looks way more rough than it should be 5 months out from release. I'd love to see it seriously improve during that time frame... but I'm not optimistic with Game Freak and the clearly present bugs they have to work out in other places.

To get this specifically, borderline sub-par HD Pokemon working, they've had to strip the series of significant amounts of its identity in the process. Most of the mechanics from the past few games have been taken out from the sound of things. They've had to sacrifice Pokemon to get there for the first time in series history (Some very minor exceptions to this of course) to get to this point. And they have so very little to show for those decisions besides the over world mechanic and a more specifically tailored HD experience. It seems like a cost of too much for a gain of too little.

Where it really becomes lazy is that all of this has to be management's fault. The decision to clearly fast track the next proper generation of Pokemon when the developers at Game Freak weren't ready for such a project or needed more time. The decision to not hire an abundance of talent to help off set the work load and make better titles. Game Freak makes billions every year, they can more than afford to hire people and only having 140 people at Game Freak working on this size of a project alongside other ongoing projects seems comically low. It's almost certainly too late to do anything about the current state of affairs with how many moving pieces are already in play, and the developers will be forced to do the best they can with what they have. But the upper management at both Nintendo and Game Freak are responsible for forcing a "lazier" method of development to get the game out as soon as possible when they could have worked to give the game's more time for proper development of the games, more time to learn the hardware, and more people working on the game to make it better. Again, I'm certain that those already working on the game have devoted hours upon hours to the game and making this difficult task a reality. I don't fault those people at all. I fault the decision making behind the scenes at Game Freak for prioritizing (and continually doing so over the past few years) a quick profit in the name of game quality and genuine progress in the franchise. The lack of which, does make the games feel more "lazy" even if there is a genuinely monstrous amount of work hours and effort going into to make these games by their specific deadlines.

That's how I end up calling Sword and Shield lazy, and I expect this will continue with Game Freak moving forward. I suspect the models we see in Sword and Shield will last us until the end of the Switch's life span for the same reasons, and that's the laziness of Game Freak I refer to.

Sorry for the massive rant, but as someone who loved Pokemon when he was younger and has fallen more and more out of love with the series as I've gotten older and things seem to be looking worse and worse in many ways, I have a very strong opinion on the matter and wish Game Freak would just take the time to really make them special again... I hope that clarifies my initial statements.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sold on a company getting 2 characters in as DLC during the same DLC cycle.

Strong supporter of Mii Costume theory, and even without that, we didn't get 2 characters from the same company last game barring Nintendo as DLC, and I'm not expecting it now.

You can definitely believe he still has a chance, sure, but with Banjo here, I'm not putting any stock into a potential 2nd Microsoft character.
If I'm being honest, after thinking for a while the more I lean on the Mii Costume theory. Last time during Sm4sh DLC, we had the DLC packs announced with relative intervals at directs and I feel that while it can be disconfirmed at any moment, the fact that we've yet to receive another Mii costume pack after Joker makes me doubt that atm we will get them announced separately from the fighters.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So Travis, a character who is basically disconfirmed, gets 60% while Steve, a character who a few people were mentally preparing themselves for at E3, gets 0%?

I know it's just his opinions, but these scores are all over the place.
He's deconfirmed for the first pass. But beyond that, who knows. They likely havn't even secured those deals yet, and if they are coming, those deals will actually start being finalized right about now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He's deconfirmed for the first pass. But beyond that, who knows. They likely havn't even secured those deals yet, and if they are coming, those deals will actually start being finalized right about now.
I mean he really isn't. There's no reason to say Steve is 100% out. Far from it.

That and I don't think we're getting a second Fighter Pass. Like, at all.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
There’s nothing that disconfirms Steve besides the fact that it really wouldn’t be illogical to assume we wouldn’t get a 2nd Microsoft character, similar to the concept that we wouldn’t get 2 Capcom picks, or two Namco picks.

There are a few things that I personally don’t think need official confirmation. I could very well be wrong, I admit that. But I don’t really think it’s a reach to say it makes sense that a given company would only get one DLC character.

It’s not really a rule, but a logical line of reasoning if you ask me.
Plus, a lot of the talk began with Verge talking about Minecraft content. I was skeptical after Ultimate's release that could have been correct, since I didn't think DLC would be planned out that far in advance. However, after Banjo & Kazooie's announcement, it would have been pretty coincidental predicting Microsoft content generally, if there wasn't something there. Verge still could be right, since he only claimed "Minecraft content", so we could be seeing Minecraft Mii costumes. And while I don't think it's likely, I feel like a new company like Microsoft could *potentially* get another character, because a) balances them out with the other companies, and more importantly b) Microsoft, looking for good PR moves, could be easier to work with than most other companies.

Then again, after Banjo & Kazooie's reveal, I just have a feeling "**** the rules, anything can happen." :chuckle:

(and if it sounds like I'm incoherently going back and forth, is because I genuinely have no clue now)

Shroob

Sup?
quick intervention: someone remind me the dimensions of a premium sig

i got a new one i need to make

what about a season 2 though, that's what i think should be on everyone's minds because half the people either got they wanted or lost all hope

im on the team that it's very plausible but not confident that it's probable. no idea how long sakurai wants to keep going at the game.
I think a 2nd DLC wave is an easy ticket for free money, but I'm also not sold it's happening either.

Everything in this game feels very intentional, and the fact that they only left 5(Spot 6 gets taken due to custom stages apparently) empty spots on the Stage Select Screen, to me at least, tells me that Sakurai went into this DLC development cycle under a "One and done" mindset.

I thought that the blank space could be a "Page 2", but as others have pointed out, that spot sometimes gets filled for Custom Stage-related ****.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think a 2nd DLC wave is an easy ticket for free money, but I'm also not sold it's happening either.

Everything in this game feels very intentional, and the fact that they only left 5(Spot 6 gets taken due to custom stages apparently) empty spots on the Stage Select Screen, to me at least, tells me that Sakurai went into this DLC development cycle under a "One and done" mindset.

I thought that the blank space could be a "Page 2", but as others have pointed out, that spot sometimes gets filled for Custom Stage-related ****.
yeah but do you know the signature dimensions too

no clue until it's over with

it could also be a scenario where he preplanned the DLC and set it up but beyond 2020 its up in the air what he wants to do

i hope they just keep the patches going for at least 6 months after DLC is done so character 5 isn't bayonetta-ified

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean he really isn't. There's no reason to say Steve is 100% out. Far from it.

That and I don't think we're getting a second Fighter Pass. Like, at all.
Yeah. I was very much speaking hypothetically. I have no idea if there will be or not. I don't think it's anywhere near confirmed, but it could happen, like it's at least possible. Not very likely, but possible. Well, more likely than you think but.... arg, that's what makes this so frustrating. I can't decide one way or the other.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the topic of Minecraft content. I'm rather certain its gonna just be in the form of Spirits coming as DLC Spirit Boards.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
well, depending on how well the fighter's pass sells, a second one and/or even more individual DLC isn't out of the question. in fact, I feel Hero (for Japan) and Banjo (for the west) were the incentives to make sure those servers explode when those characters drop. mark my words, the shop will be down for MORE than just a few hours when they drop. especially Hero. that **** finna be down for probably DAYS

which to nintendo means "success"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
well, depending on how well the fighter's pass sells, a second one and/or even more individual DLC isn't out of the question. in fact, I feel Hero (for Japan) and Banjo (for the west) were the incentives to make sure those servers explode when those characters drop. mark my words, the shop will be down for MORE than just a few hours when they drop. especially Hero. that **** finna be down for probably DAYS

which to nintendo means "success"
servers being down for joker wasnt because people wanted joker though

it was just a poorly time maintenance at the exact same time

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

There could be an additional tab up top like custom stages everywhere else.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean the base game did have Jet Force Gemini spirits, which are owned by RARE. Unused of course but they exist.
yeah but its not like we got persona 3/4 spirits alongside it

D

Deleted member

Whats funny is I can kick *** with the insect Glaive but one I use a hammer or great/long sword, I panic big time pff
It's just a matter of getting accustomed to the weapon really. Pretty much is just knowing what can you do and what you can't do with it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
servers being down for joker wasnt because people wanted joker though

it was just a poorly time maintenance at the exact same time
my counterpoint: Ryu in the 3DS/Wii U days, there's a reason that gif with him Tatsumaki Senpukyaku-ing the servers exists

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
There could, but a wave 2 wouldn't be announced until next year at the earliest.

I'm not going to worry about something that's a year's off when we potentially have 2 more reveals left for this year, one probably fast approaching in September.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I realize i’m not quoting folks but a few things I want to cover about Mii Theory.

I dislike calling things “theories”, but it’s basically an attempt to figure out what’s coming.

“Mii Theory” definitely has time to be proven correct or incorrect, that can’t be denied. Compared to other theories though? Other ones that are based on weird ideas that don’t make any logical business sense like partner theory, or characters released by color?

The idea that Mii Fighter costumes would be released alongside a character from the prospective company now has precedent with Joker. If that trend continues with Hero and Banjo, it’s a hell of a lot stronger than partner theory.

It can also get crushed if for example, Capcom costumes are revealed in the 4.0 update.

I think at this point folks are bored because there aren’t any rumors that actually stand out. I also get that entertaining rumors isn’t the same as taking them as fact.

If you ask me, I would say the most likely scenario at this point is an all 3rd party DLC pack. At the very least, I think that’s reasonable considering the hype this continually growing crossover is causing.

I think there are absolutely choices that have a great chance of happening. There are others I don’t think will, and others that I think are reasonable. But that’s for a different post.

Either way, moral of the story is that there are certain fair assumptions. Not everything needs to be spelled out for us.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
there can always be space thats made

looking forward to the unnecessary update to where you can actually order the fighter selection screen by series and stages by game release instead of numbers. it's still a bit uncomfy to see characters in one series far away from another would be more worthwhile than home run contest OH BURN

Shroob

Sup?
I just want the full art of the banner by the end of the year.

If Nintendo's smart, they'll sell that ****; it'd look ****ing amazing framed.

D

Deleted member

Just like I mentioned it in the other thread, but if there is extra DLC I wouldn't expect it in the same scale as the first fighter pass. I wouldn't expect many new stages and at most we would get one or two newcomers at most with the rest as echoes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just want the full art of the banner by the end of the year.

If Nintendo's smart, they'll sell that ****; it'd look ****ing amazing framed.
god that would be a long poster though

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It'd be long, and ****ing expensive to frame, but it'd be nice looking at the very least.:drshrug:
imagine showing your grandkids the sacred poster you've kept in mint condition for so many decades but then they ask what a R.O.B. is cause he was cut in smash 9 back in 2036

Shroob

Sup?
imagine showing your grandkids the sacred poster you've kept in mint condition for so many decades but then they ask what a R.O.B. is cause he was cut in smash 9 back in 2036
>Implying you'd ever get grandkids by owning said poster in the first place

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There could, but a wave 2 wouldn't be announced until next year at the earliest.

I'm not going to worry about something that's a year's off when we potentially have 2 more reveals left for this year, one probably fast approaching in September.
I don’t think we wait till next year for the
Second dlc pass announcement if it’s coming. If we get another pass, I think we will learn about it in December in a big smash direct. Said direct will reveal dlc five, whatever is in the update. Then maybe announce a bonus character probably tied to the switch online. Then announce pass two if it’s coming and then maybe the first character. If not then E3 would announce the first one.

If we get a second pass I think that timeline makes sense.

Direct and release of the final fighter pass character in December, bonus character in February or march, pass two at E3 with character one released. I don’t know if it will happen but the game and site can easily accommodate more slots if Nintendo wanted to do it again.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've been thinking about this for a while, but I think I'm going to try an experiment and avoid social media for a week. That includes Smashboards.

The reason I use website like these is because I want to talk about things I love, games shows or otherwise. And a lot of the time, that's what I get. But when everyone is being negative and emotional about something, be it a Grinch, a box, or a Pokemon Thanos snap, it takes a huge toll on me. It turns something I love into something I dread even thinking about. That's not healthy for me. I already have anxiety and mental health issues as is, and enjoying the things I love are how I cope.

Then there's just wasted time. This is less true for Smashboards, but when I scroll through Reddit or Twitter feeds I often do it mindlessly. In Smashboards are partake in interesting discussions more and partake in at least some degree of social interaction, but I'm not really getting anything mentally stimulating from those other sites. I'll definitely be returning to Smashboards but I'll probably (and hopefully) be cutting out those other sites almost in their entireties. So much time I waste there could be spent doing chores, or trying out games or shows I'll probably enjoy more then mindless scrolling.

You guys are still awesome though. I think I'll be sticking around for the rest of the day, then I'll log out again at midnight.

Anyway, before I disappear for a week, any movie, show or indie game recommendations? Bonus points if they're on Netflix. I wanna try some new things while I'm gone.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've been thinking about this for a while, but I think I'm going to try an experiment and avoid social media for a week. That includes Smashboards.

The reason I use website like these is because I want to talk about things I love, games shows or otherwise. And a lot of the time, that's what I get. But when everyone is being negative and emotional about something, be it a Grinch, a box, or a Pokemon Thanos snap, it takes a huge toll on me. It turns something I love into something I dread even thinking about. That's not healthy for me. I already have anxiety and mental health issues as is, and enjoying the things I love are how I cope.

Then there's just wasted time. This is less true for Smashboards, but when I scroll through Reddit or Twitter feeds I often do it mindlessly. In Smashboards are partake in interesting discussions more and partake in at least some degree of social interaction, but I'm not really getting anything mentally stimulating from those other sites. I'll definitely be returning to Smashboards but I'll probably (and hopefully) be cutting out those other sites almost in their entireties. So much time I waste there could be spent doing chores, or trying out games or shows I'll probably enjoy more then mindless scrolling.

You guys are still awesome though. I think I'll be sticking around for the rest of the day, then I'll log out again at midnight.

Anyway, before I disappear for a week, any movie, show or indie game recommendations? Bonus points if they're on Netflix. I wanna try some new things while I'm gone.
Wander over Yonder!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Daredevil..... the show, not the Ben Afleck movie :yoshi:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Jessica Jones. The final season is on Netflix right now.

as for games... if you like Sim Tower or something like that, I cannot recommend Project Highrise enough. That **** pulls me in for HOURS on end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom