• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gwen, I'm gonna be real with you, you've been incredibly transparent with how much you hate Banjo, long before his reveal even, so it's kind of hard to take these criticisms seriously. It really just feels like you're looking for things to nitpick about.
I can't prove it because it won't happen but I wouldn't be this disappointed if they didn't reuse the same thing. Repeating the same stuff makes it go stale and I'm supposed to be excited for seeing the same **** I saw last year. I condemned stuff I actually like with this too but because it's this one specific character it doesn't matter because you don't need standards apparantly. You could have had the set up be DK and Diddy be pondering that something doesn't feel quite right with K.Rool noticing that and trying to attack before getting hit by an egg. Have DK and Diddy turn to DK, have them all realize K.Rool got hit by an egg and dramatically look to where it came from and then gasp in shock before panning the camera out to see Banjo Kazooie. Then they turn to the camera and the splash art happens. I don't even make storyboards for a living yet I mamaged to come up with this very easily but people who get paid to do this can't fathom it apparantly

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are we seriously doing pissing contests over how hype trailers were again?

Banjo's trailer was fine. It likely won't sell you the character unless you're already a fan, but it wasn't trying to anyway.

Double K

Smash Lord
there aree peoeple right now

who play Smash

who are complaining about DQ being obscure

while thinking Joker in Smash is an obvious pick

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Are we seriously doing pissing contests over how hype trailers were again?

Banjo's trailer was fine. It likely won't sell you the character unless you're already a fan, but it wasn't trying to anyway.
Again, Hero. I'm disappointed we didn't get any girl alts and the moveset was mostly bland outside of the multiple specials which I don't understand and need an extra explanation on but the CG part of that trailer was actually pretty damn exciting

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't prove it because it won't happen but I wouldn't be this disappointed if they didn't reuse the same thing. Repeating the same stuff makes it go stale and I'm supposed to be excited for seeing the same **** I saw last year. I condemned stuff I actually like with this too but because it's this one specific character it doesn't matter because you don't need standards apparantly.
When you imply that people who actually enjoyed something don't have standards, you really don't help your argument.

Double K

Smash Lord
I can't prove it because it won't happen but I wouldn't be this disappointed if they didn't reuse the same thing. Repeating the same stuff makes it go stale and I'm supposed to be excited for seeing the same **** I saw last year. I condemned stuff I actually like with this too but because it's this one specific character it doesn't matter because you don't need standards apparantly. You could have had the set up be DK and Diddy be pondering that something doesn't feel quite right with K.Rool noticing that and trying to attack before getting hit by an egg. Have DK and Diddy turn to DK, have them all realize K.Rool got hit by an egg and dramatically look to where it came from and then gasp in shock before panning the camera out to see Banjo Kazooie. Then they turn to the camera and the splash art happens. I don't even make storyboards for a living yet I mamaged to come up with this very easily but people who get paid to do this can't fathom it apparantly
Imagining a storyboard =/= it being a good one

Imagining a storyboard =/= it being easy to animate

Imagining a storyboard =/= it getting approved for animation in the first place

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
**** it, now that Erdrick and Banjo are finally in and out of the way, it’s fair game for everybody!

DLC speculation takes a fresh start once more!

I wanna be completely surprised from here on now that I got my bear & bird.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Random thoughts on Jill/RE rep in general now that I have a moment to share them (I've been hella busy, currently out of state and just released our episode seven, which I'm not sure if I should shill here but... it was a lot of work).
  • Resident Evil getting such an extended presence in Nintendo's showcase is certainly something when it's a re-re-rerelease of last gen games that already re-rereleased on competitor consoles two or three years ago. I found the long live action trailer surprising and really thought for a moment RE3make was somehow Switch exclusive.
  • Jill/RE5 was at the forefront in Microsoft's presser on their Gamer's Pass screen, here:
    jill_xbox_e3.jpg
    • While this likely also means nothing, people in the industry are in the know for various goings-on and the exact order chosen for this promotional image was likely decided with due reason behind it. Between this and Dusk Golem's leak, it's certainly possible they're hopping on the RE train because RE3 is coming.
  • If RE3make is in fact coming in early 2020, then it'll be announced at the Tokyo Games Show, much like RE5 was. If this is the case, Erderick will have already been released and we'll likely have been without Smash news for three months with Banjo coming soon. While Nintendo does not have a presence at the TGS, they do often have a direct around that time. Jill in Smash following a major reveal of her game makes perfect sense timing-wise, and releasing her before RE3make comes out (as the fourth character in the pass) is a great way to capitalize on fans' excitement. Even if the game will likely not be for Switch.
  • Also, either that guy was speedrunning or they were playing REmake for awhile. He almost got to the midpoint of the game within the length of that trailer.

And lastly:

OH MY GOD PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 IS FINALLY ****ING COMING TO THE WEST WHY ARE WE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS MORE HOLY ****.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So by repeating the same trailer with the same setting, the same setup, the same "fooled you" joke and then the same "Actually we didn't" joke it's apparantly just as good? We could have had the same idea without taking the same trailer. Bowser Jr kept the same set up as Mega Man but actually did enough things differently to make the trailer stand out. But Banjo was just the same **** we've seen before. I didn't find Hero an exciting addition either but at least the trailer actually had something going for it
I'd get the complaint if they redid a more serious trailer, but it works because the K. Rool trailer already was ridiculous to begin with, and they just took the joke even further, like that's the entire point, it's a joke on top of a joke. I thought it was hilarious for this reason, the K. Rool trailer was already my favorite, so this had me in stitches.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
given they're already publicly available, can we get some of those, uhhh

stock icon emotes for banjo and hero

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
When you imply that people who actually enjoyed something don't have standards, you really don't help your argument.
It's a Nintendo thing. Time and time again we see hyper Nintendo fans give mediocrity a free pass because it's Nintendo. Which is why I said it. ****, the only thing I've been harping on about is the trailer. If I was truly nitpicking and trying to find reasons to complain wouldn't I be using more than "It's the same exact thing so it sucks?"

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The Banjo trailer wasn't original for sure, but dang, did it give me a good laugh. Just like the original one.

MainJPW

M.T.A
That’s legit Goku

Not even memeing
The orange one? That's the hero of the first Dragon Quest:

As far as the actual character goes his eyes are more square shaped and have a full outline which gives him a more Yamcha look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double K

Smash Lord
Nah son, Dante first.

Which is ironic considering my pfp.
Dante's moveset is super reliant on his variety of Devil Arms which if you wanted to properly incorporate, you'd have to go with a Monado system, which in-turn breaks the flow of a character like Dante. Nero's moveset translates perfectly to a fighting game with the "control the opponent's positioning" quirk of his devil breaker/bringer and both Red Queen have good ideas for gimmicks of how to use.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice

I enjoyed the trailer but honestly .... like the trailer doesn’t matter at all. Who cares. We’re here for the game and characters, not trailers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's a Nintendo thing. Time and time again we see hyper Nintendo fans give mediocrity a free pass because it's Nintendo. Which is why I said it. ****, the only thing I've been harping on about is the trailer. If I was truly nitpicking and trying to find reasons to complain wouldn't I be using more than "It's the same exact thing so it sucks?"
You've basically said the entire Direct sucked in no uncertain terms. The Banjo thing was just the most overt.

I thought the Microsoft presentation was incredibly boring outside of Halo and A Way to the Woods, but thought Ubisoft's was entertaining. It's an unpopular opinion, but I can say it without trying to bring other people down.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You've basically said the entire Direct sucked in no uncertain terms. The Banjo thing was just the most overt.

I thought the Microsoft presentation was incredibly boring outside of Halo and A Way to the Woods, but thought Ubisoft's was entertaining. It's an unpopular opinion, but I can say it without trying to bring other people down.
Show me a single time where I said the entire Direct sucked. ****, the first negative thing I had to say about it wasn't even related to Smash. You're giving me **** for "arguing in bad faith" yet you're doing the same thing

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dante's moveset is super reliant on his variety of Devil Arms which if you wanted to properly incorporate, you'd have to go with a Monado system, which in-turn breaks the flow of a character like Dante. Nero's moveset translates perfectly to a fighting game with the "control the opponent's positioning" quirk of his devil breaker/bringer and both Red Queen have good ideas for gimmicks of how to use.
Dante's moveset is already filled to the brim using just the bare essentials making for a perfectly fine Smash moveset. Look at Bayonetta for a start who not only uses weapon switching, but also different demon summons in her original games. If overwhelming complexity is a factor, remember Nero relies on a charge input, a timed followup input on every normal move and his limitless possibilities of devil breakers on top of his snatch which would be a nightmare to balance.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Microsoft had too much CGI trailer for me to enjoy, Nintendo had some too, but the balance was better between game play and trailer imo.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m not even joking guys.

Forget Crash and Sora at this point, I want to outright be surprised this time. (I still want them tho)

Give me Agumon & Phoenix Wright!

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Show me a single time where I said the entire Direct sucked. ****, the first negative thing I had to say about it wasn't even related to Smash. You're giving me **** for "arguing in bad faith" yet you're doing the same thing
i think his point is more that you're allowed to say you disliked banjo's trailer without calling it objectively mediocre and implying that other people are in the wrong or acting 'like Nintendo fans' for just enjoying the damn thing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, we already knew of a majority of the games showcased but apparently that doesn't matter
This was in response to a "wasn't the Direct great" post, wherein you imply that because almost nothing brand new was shown, it wasn't.

Tone and tact matter a lot with these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom