• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ah, Ultron.

Not as funny as Loki.

Not as bad *** and memeable as Thanos.

You’re just...okay.
The worst part is that it's so easy to pinpoint what went wrong for Ultron and Thanos in IW. They took these villains and tried to make them deep when they've by all means been simple and that worked. You don't need your characters to be super complex to make them loveable, it's why people love Freeza, an incredibly flat character. He won people over with his personality and mannerisms
Age of Ultron sucks almost as much as Iron Man 3 for me. Ultron was botched, Black Widow is an entire ****show between the sterilization guilt and her romance with the Hulk, QUICKSILVER ****ING DIES FROM BULLETS ARE YOU KIDDING ME, the humor fell flat, etc.
Iron Man 3 at the very least had a rather interesting take on certain matters while AoU couldn't even bare that
the director said the monster comment was about her being a murderer, but watching the scene now (I haven't seen AoU) I can see how it can be interpreted that way. That's an awful scene in general though, kinda awkward now seeing as Bruce is gay
First of all, I thought you meant AoU my bad lol.

Second, the gay dude is literally a random dude who doesn't even get a name let alone 5 sentences of dialogue, not Bruce.

Third, HOLY **** I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO MADE THAT MISTAKE

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
She goes on about her forcibly being sterilized in Age of Ultron which affected her self-worth. I tried to ignore it thinking "At least Ultron will be badass" but as we all know that didn't happen
That wasn't really her reason for sacrificing herself in Endgame though. She sacrificed herself because it had to be either her or Clint based upon where they ended up and needing to get the Soul Stone. They didn't realize it would require a sacrifice like that. Clint wanted to kill himself to atone for the damage he had done following the snap. Natasha wanted him to be able to be there for his kids when they came back and continue being a father. She was willing to give her life also because The Avengers were her family since she had been practically torn from any other one she had really ever had. The Avengers is what she had at that point, and the movie clearly communicated that bringing everyone back was her most important goal in that regard.

I agree that the Age of Ultron stuff was handled pretty awfully and came off in incredibly poor taste ("The only monster on the team" quote immediately after a discussion of not being able to have kids was uh... just the worst editing and writing ever, hence much of the backlash it got). But I think Endgame largely established things in a different matter and wasn't particularly focused on the prior material there. At least, that's what I remember of Endgame. It was a long movie and I only saw it once haha.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
The worst part is that it's so easy to pinpoint what went wrong for Ultron and Thanos in IW. They took these villains and tried to make them deep when they've by all means been simple and that worked. You don't need your characters to be super complex to make them loveable, it's why people love Freeza, an incredibly flat character. He won people over with his personality and mannerisms

Iron Man 3 at the very least had a rather interesting take on certain matters while AoU couldn't even bare that

Second, the gay dude is literally a random dude who doesn't even get a name let alone 5 sentences of dialogue, not Bruce.

THAT'S NOT BRUCE

I FEEL LIED TOO

WHAT WAS THE POINT THEN

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Y'know what, I'll take your word for it. Iron Man 3 was out when I was much younger, so maybe it had themes I didn't pick up on then. Age of Ultron didn't come that much later, but I'd imagine that given the few ****ty takes visible in the movie, any themes I missed I would not enjoy anyway.

I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE TO MISTAKE THE GROUP THERAPY DUDE FOR BRUCE EITHER OH MY GOD

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Alright, my peeps. Since we're all talking about movies and tv and all that good stuff, it's time to continue my top 100 favorite fictional characters of all time countdown. 35-31 is out next...

#35: Retsuko
Aggretsuko

1561403471385.png

One of the most relatable characters I've seen in a while, Retsuko is a character that I like more the longer time goes on. The more pain that she experiences in the series, the more the viewer roots for her. Her boss and intense job is bad enough, but just when his boss, Mr. Ton, starts to soften and her job becomes *slightly* more bearable, then a new worker comes in and terrorizes her life. Then, she jumps into another relationship and learns that it's not what she wants and it's too good to be true, and the problems keep coming into her life over and over again. You feel bad for her and root for her because how life does "life things" is portrayed quite accurately in Aggretsuko. We deal with a decent amount of crap in our lives more often than not, and there's seemingly always a new problem to deal with. Just like how Retsuko copes with her problems by singing death metal karaoke or spending time with Washimi or Gori, we often keep striving to find ways to escape and deal with our own problems. Her character is nailed down to a T concerning relatability, and that's why she's so likable. She's probably not the most zany Aggretsuko character...but she might be the most realistic and likable of them all.

#34: Han Solo
Star Wars

1561403816508.png

Han's a character that has natural growth, and mix that with his witty one-liners and you've got a candidate for a favorite of mine. He starts out in A New Hope as being someone who has a bit of a sketchy past (which is seen in more detail in Solo) and he's intelligent yet rough around the edges. Unlike Luke, who's noble and always strives to do the "right thing", Han cares more about what works and is significantly more self-centered. As an example, while Luke wanted to save Leia out of the goodness of his heart and fulfilling his calling, Han was in it for the money. And Han admitted it too! He's also a natural skeptic, as he laughs at "the force" and doesn't think it's legit. However, we see throughout A New Hope how his journey with Luke, Leia, and Chewie helps him understand more about his own faults. From there, he becomes a very loyal friend and someone who ends up marrying Leia as well. He stays funny and likable throughout the films he's in, even up to his death in Force Awakens, but what's even more incredible to me than his one-liners is how he became a loving person and family man. I'm a sucker for growth arcs, and Han is one of the most dynamic characters in the Star Wars universe.

#33: Mulan
Mulan

1561404242920.png

One word comes to mind first when I think of Mulan: bravery. This is Mulan's greatest strength, and the main reason why her story arc is so incredible. When the emperor orders all families in China to select one male in their family to fight to protect the nation from the Huns, Mulan can't bear to see her ill and weak father go off into the military. So, Mulan disguises herself as a man in order to make sure that her dad doesn't have to fight in the war. This is very kind and brave of Mulan. She loves her father and made a conscious effort to look after her safety. So, she took the lead out of her family and went to war to protect her sickly father. She does have to struggle through a lot of battle and heartache after enlisting (especially when her true identity is found out), but no matter what: she never gives up. Even when she was defeated in battle, she kept going and ended up being the one to take out the leader of the huns, Shan Yu. Mulan has a remarkable amount of tenacity, and we see that her bravery never dies. It's incredible to watch.

#32: Erik "Killmonger" Stevens
Marvel Cinematic Universe

1561404917636.png

Objectively, Thanos is the best MCU villain.
But Killmonger is my FAVORITE MCU villain, and I think that he's also a great villain, and a villain that the MCU needed. I also like Erik more as a character on the whole, which clinched him as my favorite MCU villain.

I love the character and his backstory, which is why he's my favorite MCU villain. After his father's tragic death and how he became even MORE upset with how Wakanda was seen as weak and irrelevant on the global relief effort scale, he becomes fed up with how Wakanda is run and wants to become king himself. And from there, he uses his vengeance to fight for the throne. He does win the battle...but he doesn't win the war, as our main hero T'Challa comes back from near-death and ends up defeating Killmonger in a rematch.

It was sad to see Killmonger go, because despite him being a villain and using his anger in the wrong way, I still really liked him! Killmonger is a strong person, both physically and mentally. He's stubborn, but it's this extreme stubbornness that causes him to be a great rival to T'Challa. He's ambitious, and while he is ruthless and rough, he does want to make Wakanda better and stronger...even if he goes about it in the wrong way. Finally, he's charismatic and has an incredibly strong personality that resonates throughout the movie.

I love Killmonger, because he was a fun character and a very likable character as well. He's the most memorable Black Panther character in my opinion, and it's because of how incredibly strong his character is throughout the film.

#31: Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Marvel Cinematic Universe

1561405674012.png

I LOVE SPIDER-MAN <3 He was my favorite fictional character of all time when I was a kid, and he's still flippin' awesome all these years later.

The reasons why are self-explanatory: bullied geek gains a super power to basically act as a human spider, his beloved uncle passes away, he learns that with great power comes great responsibility...you all know his story. And it's a great story. Peter Parker grows throughout his teenage hood and needs to learn responsibility. Even after Uncle Ben's death, he needs to learn how to use his power properly. When Tony Stark intervenes in Homecoming, we see how Peter still needs to grow and understand the ramifications of his actions. And, all he really wants to do is please others...and he grows and develops and succeeds in doing so. He makes Tony Stark proud, and becomes one of the greatest heroes in Marvel.

I also love how youthful he is in the MCU. Compared to past spider-men, Tom Holland's portrayal is one of the more accurate ones to the comics that I've seen as of late. The eye slits will move based on Peter's emotions, he acts like a total snarky smart-aleck in battle (and it's funny), and his overall personality lines up quite nicely with the comic book version of Spider-Man. I do enjoy McGuire's portrayal of Spider-Man, but Holland's Spider-Man seriously blew me away. And, I'm glad that he grew through the past few films and that we're gonna see even more of Peter in Far From Home.

Legendary back story, legendary personality...everything about this character is amazing, and he's a big part of my childhood too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That wasn't really her reason for sacrificing herself in Endgame though. She sacrificed herself because it had to be either her or Clint based upon where they ended up and needing to get the Soul Stone. They didn't realize it would require a sacrifice like that. Clint wanted to kill himself to atone for the damage he had done following the snap. Natasha wanted him to be able to be there for his kids when they came back and continue being a father. She was willing to give her life also because The Avengers were her family since she had been practically torn from any other one she had really ever had. The Avengers is what she had at that point, and the movie clearly communicated that bringing everyone back was her most important goal in that regard.

I agree that the Age of Ultron stuff was handled pretty awfully and came off in incredibly poor taste ("The only monster on the team" quote immediately after a discussion of not being able to have kids was uh... just the worst editing and writing ever, hence much of the backlash it got). But I think Endgame largely established things in a different matter and wasn't particularly focused on the prior material there. At least, that's what I remember of Endgame. It was a long movie and I only saw it once haha.
That's the problem though
She wants Hawkeye to be there for the kids
She cannot have kids
She sacrificed herself so that the one with kids gets to live.
THAT'S NOT BRUCE

I FEEL LIED TOO

WHAT WAS THE POINT THEN
The point was for the Russos to go "Haha LGBT rights" and pat themselves on the back for doing the bare minimum. Ant-Man did more effort for it yet the directors/writers aren't demanding praise for it. ****ing Inoue had an explicitly gay kiss scene with implied sex for Kamen Rider which is undeniably canon yet nobody at Toei is going "We're cool right?". The actor for the character was one of the Russos too smfh
Y'know what, I'll take your word for it. Iron Man 3 was out when I was much younger, so maybe it had themes I didn't pick up on then. Age of Ultron didn't come that much later, but I'd imagine that given the few ****ty takes visible in the movie, any themes I missed I would not enjoy anyway.

I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE TO MISTAKE THE GROUP THERAPY DUDE FOR BRUCE EITHER OH MY GOD
Not only was there the Mandarin stuff which they later went "Yeah we ****ed up here's the real Mandarin and how he's also pissed at this" with that short movie but the movie also deals with Tony's PTSD from the whole lifestyle. I don't blame you as I didn't really enjoy IM3 until a rather recent rewatch as I didn't have much on the character

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh hey, just realized my AMA thingamabob is still up. pls ask more questions thanks

I'm bored. ;p
I haven't been here in a few days, and I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you're taking questions then: Who's the character in your avatar?

They look familiar, but I can't actually tell whether I've ever seen them before or not.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You know something's wrong when the most notable thing about AoU was the tiny hint on a major moment in Endgame.
Hulk vs Hulkbuster was pretty great. We also got Scarlett Witch out of the affair and she's really grown into a much more interesting and likable character for the MCU as well, same for Vision. The opening fight for the scepter was pretty solid and I actually enjoyed the Farm scene quite a bit. I loved that Hawkeye became an actual character in the movie and he had my favorite lines. And James Spader was an incredibly solid voice for Ultron...

That said, it had sooo many problems and I still haven't ever come close to forgiving Joss Whedon for not living up to the hype and tone that the initial teaser trailer set up:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
She cannot have kids
I think you might be taking that scene the wrong way.

It's less about Hawkeye and his life being worth more than hers, but about the lives of Hawkeye's kids being worth more than hers. She doesn't want them to grow up without their dad. The only family she has is the Avengers, who are all adults and can cope with the loss better. It wasn't that her life was intrinsically worth less than Clint's, it's that Clint had more people he'd be leaving behind.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
The point was for the Russos to go "Haha LGBT rights" and pat themselves on the back for doing the bare minimum. Ant-Man did more effort for it yet the directors/writers aren't demanding praise for it. ****ing Inoue had an explicitly gay kiss scene with implied sex for Kamen Rider which is undeniably canon yet nobody at Toei is going "We're cool right?". The actor for the character was one of the Russos too smfh
reminds me of an episode in the last season of Doctor Who where some extra was given "funny" dialogue that basically served to show he was gay before he got killed. Its dumb as hell and awful representation

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you might be taking that scene the wrong way.

It's less about Hawkeye and his life being worth more than hers, but about the lives of Hawkeye's kids being worth more than hers. She doesn't want them to grow up without their dad. The only family she has is the Avengers, who are all adults and can cope with the loss better. It wasn't that her life was intrinsically worth less than Clint's, it's that Clint had more people he'd be leaving behind.
I'd have considered that had it been literally any other character than "I'm awful because I can't have kids". Black Widow is a character who I feel is a highlight among the MCU's many shortcomings.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
In the case of King of Monsters, I'm going off of the word of fans, so admittedly there's been a miscommunication which would be entirely on my misinterpretation of what was said. In the case of Endgame I went on your 'sacrifice' point instead of fridging which I admittedly should have worded better. The sacrifice made was just utter dog **** too
A LOT of Black Widow's character in the MCU is "I can't have children" with AoU saying she hates herself because she can't have kids and Endgame literally going "I cannot have children so my life has less worth than those who can". There's also how the Russos confirmed a planned thing for Endgame was that Widow would take care of the children who'd have been orphaned by the Snappening which is more blatant "IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO HAVE KIDS YOU ARE INFERIOR". As a woman who literally cannot get pregnant because of stuff outside of my control, I'm sickened that this is supposed to be inspiring, that people like me should take the bullet for others because of something done outside of our control making them superior. Kind of goes against the whole point of superheroes too
That's fair, and a perfect example of how personal experience can really shape and color a movie experience in ways others won't be able to see.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
She cannot have kids
I mean, she was incredibly good friends with Hawkeye and was shown to be very close to his family as well. She has a vested interest in seeing them OK and live whatever semblance of a normal life they can after the fact. She doesn't bring up the fact she can't have kids as far as I remember. She doesn't sacrifice herself because of the fact that she won't be able to have those kids in the future or because she perceived herself as less worthy. Neither of them wanted the other to sacrifice themselves. One of them had to die. Hawkeye thought he was beyond redemption, and Black Widow thought otherwise. It was all about their relationship and the fact that Black Widow was laser focused on bringing people back from the moment they were gone.

She refused to let her friend make the sacrifice and forced his hand because she believed in him. It's actual a pretty great moment of autonomy in which she realizes everything is at stake and still decides to make that play. She robs Hawkeye of his sacrifice. So I think it was one of the better moments of the entire film because of that exchange.

The whole "She cannot have kids" doesn't play into this scene at all in Endgame, and with the fact that these movies have entirely different writers, I'm not sure connecting the throwaway garabage scene and romance of Age of Ultron to Endgame even matters or makes sense to do.

D

Deleted member

These news almost brought my depression back.

Good lord, don’t let Frozen 2 be a commercial failure.

I don’t want to see a boring live action remake of my favourite Disney movie while new animated movies slowly dissappear from the Western film industry.
From my point of view, nothing really replaces the original movie. Just like how I ignore the **** Spongebob seasons after the first movie and how I can't give a damn about Teen Titans Go, I can always rewatch what made me like the stuff to begin with and nothing takes that away from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hulk vs Hulkbuster was pretty great. We also got Scarlett Witch out of the affair and she's really grown into a much more interesting and likable character for the MCU as well, same for Vision. The opening fight for the scepter was pretty solid and I actually enjoyed the Farm scene quite a bit. I loved that Hawkeye became an actual character in the movie and he had my favorite lines. And James Spader was an incredibly solid voice for Ultron...

That said, it had sooo many problems and I still haven't ever come close to forgiving Joss Whedon for not living up to the hype and tone that the initial teaser trailer set up:

-snip-
Hulk vs Hulkbuster was great, but the whole thing with Scarlet Witch and Vision was just weird, and they can keep Vision dead lol.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Today has been oddly self-reflective and I don't like it.

Quick. Somebody hit me with a clever gif or, uh, ****in', Resident Evil ****, I dunno.

D

Deleted member

From my point of view, nothing really replaces the original movie. Just like how I ignore the **** Spongebob seasons after the first movie and how I can't give a damn about Teen Titans Go, I can always rewatch what made me like the stuff to begin with.
I don’t know...

It just brings me down to see Disney not only lacking new stories or ideas on their movies, but also destroying every creation from them that I love (not counting companies they own like Marvel or Pixar doh, those are actually cool right now).
Why make a lazy live action remake, when they could remaster or release on modern consoles the game that was meant to be a sequel of the original film to do better justice to the franchise?
Everything else that went on today also made my sadness evolve into internal rage.

Anyway, I’m gonna play Smash or Spider-Man PS4 to see if I can just take most of the current tension in my soul out already.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
D

Deleted member

You know...
I would honestly love a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character in Smash.
Too bad it's never happening.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This thread always serves as a nice reminder that good film discussion is nigh impossible because some people evidently didn't pay attention to the film they're trying to talk about

D

Deleted member

I don’t know...

It just brings me down to see Disney not only lacking new stories or ideas on their movies, but also destroying every creation from them that I love (not counting companies they own like Marvel or Pixar doh, those are actually cool right now).
Why make a lazy live action remake, when they could remaster or release on modern consoles the game that was meant to be a sequel of the original film to do better justice to the franchise?
Everything else that went on today also made my sadness evolve into internal rage.

Anyway, I’m gonna play Smash or Spider-Man PS4 to see if I can just take most of the current tension in my soul out already.
True. There's always disappointment in what could have been. That's why criticism exists.

However, this is still a positive in my eyes from the perspective of a fan. Imagine all of the kids who didn't get to watch movies such as Aladdin, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, or Beauty in the Beast. These live action recreations can reintroduce these movies into the public eye. My Aunt took my cousin to that new live action Winnie the Pooh movie that came out about a year ago. It wasn't exactly good and some of the designs were pretty cringe, but my aunt and cousin adored it. If that's what makes my cousin like Winnie the Pooh as an icon and introduces her to classic 90s Disney eventually, then that's a win for me. The same can happen to Nightmare Before Christmas, because now more people have the opportunity to become interested in the classic Disney film.

E: Jesus. "Nightmare on Elm Street?" I really am tired.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So on an related note. For everyone that's seen all three. Which of the MonsterVerse movies did you like the best?

TBH due to bias speaking I can't choose and like all three the same granted Kong: Skull Island I found to be more fun in terms of an giant monster romp as with King of the Monsters.

Though King of the Monsters made me appreciate the 2014 film more as what the Alien was to the 2014 film is what Aliens is to King of the Monsters.

That said though can't wait for Godzilla vs. Kong and best part about that is I have to wait for less then an year! :grin:

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Bruh, I hate the fact that you notification you gey when a mod edits your post, like I know infractions are in messages, but that doesn't mean it's any less heart attack inducing.

You hear that Grey? You almost gave me a heart attack. I'm suing for all you got.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I don’t want to see a boring live action remake of my favourite Disney movie while new animated movies slowly dissappear from the Western film industry.
> Other live-action remake movies
Me: Meh okay whatever, Beauty and the Beast was good as was Jungle Book even if they changed it up, although I think they should make some 2D animated movies and it's weird that they completely change some stuff.

> The Nightmare Before Christmas
Me: Stop it Disney, don't touch it you money-grubbing jerks; it was already perfect and now you're gonna have Jack be some goof in a get up with face paint or make him a weird, real human skeleton.

D

Deleted member

So on an related note. For everyone that's seen all three. Which of the MonsterVerse movies did you like the best?

TBH due to bias speaking I can't choose and like all three the same granted Kong: Skull Island I found to be more fun in terms of an giant monster romp as with King of the Monsters.

Though King of the Monsters made me appreciate the 2014 film more as what the Alien was to the 2014 film is what Aliens is to King of the Monsters.

That said though can't wait for Godzilla vs. Kong and best part about that is I have to wait for less then an year! :grin:
It’s either Skull Island or King Of The Monsters.

I don’t know which one to choose between both.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I joked about this happening earlier well before I even saw this post. Emphasis on joking about it...

Now then..."ahem" dear Walt Disney Company:

LITERALLY WHY?!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
D

Deleted member

I joked about this happening earlier well before I even saw this post. Emphasis on joking about it...

Now then..."ahem" dear Walt Disney Company:

LITERALLY WHY?!
Because Disney hates me.

Can’t think about any other reason to destroy Nightmare Before Christmas.

I also want to ask everyone to stop quoting or tagging me. I’m trying to play some Smash matches to take tension out of my body since I’m legally denied from drinking beer or smoking.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

My only reaction to this.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Bruh, I hate the fact that you notification you gey when a mod edits your post, like I know infractions are in messages, but that doesn't mean it's any less heart attack inducing.

You hear that Grey? You almost gave me a heart attack. I'm suing for all you got.
Bring it, potato head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom