• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Just cause something's happened before doesn't mean it's good. I'm not saying King of Monsters is bad because they did that, I'm saying it's bad that they did that like I would any other movie or show regardless of my opinion on it
Lol what do you even mean?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just cause something's happened before doesn't mean it's good. I'm not sayingKing of Monsters is bad because they did that, I'm saying it's bad that they did that like I would any other movie or show regardless of my opinion on it
Fair enough. That's a good point there. Regardless of your opinion on the movie I respect it like any others.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
List of strong female characters this year so far.

Adelina Fortnight, Alita, Astrid, Bo Peep, Captain Marvel, Darla Dudley & Mary Bromfield, Gidget and Mothra.

Anyone else I'm missing?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Actually, I think this was one of Disney's better live-action remakes. Do you want to know why? They tried sticking to the original as much as they could, adding only a few new things.
You could argue that it just makes the remake even more unnecessary in that instance. The few story changes weren’t worth the time and resources put into remaking the film. Not to mention a good number of changes made the story even worse like the teleporting book. I haven’t seen the Broadway play where it comes from so I’m not sure how it was implemented, but it was a horrible addition here.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Adelina Fortnight, Alita, Astrid, Bo Peep, Captain Marvel, Darla Dudley & Mary Bromfield, Gidget and Mothra.

Anyone else I'm missing?
Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. My favorite female MCU character and thankfully is a key part of the story in Endgame. Makes up for how she was under the radar in IW.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
King of Monsters did a bad trope.
I felt I should explain that I mean the bad trope is bad, not that King of Monsters is bad for doing it considering now Micheal seems to act from what I've noticed
I actually had no issue on it at all. I should had been more clear about it tbh apologies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Anyone else I'm missing?
Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. My favorite female MCU character and thankfully is a key part of the story in Endgame. Makes up for how she was under the radar in IW.
In that case, I’m gonna ask for Nebula to be added too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I actually had no issue on it at all. I should had been more clear about it tbh apologies.
Not to be rude and sorry if it does come across as this, but it seems to me that you get very defensive about stuff you like and feel a bit threatened if something in a similar style is on the same level of popularity.
Fridging is frustratingly lazy writing to make male protagonists force emotional reactions out of the viewers/readers while lazily going "WOW LOOK HOW BAD THE BAD GUY IS, HE KILLED A WOMAN!". King of Monsters obviously didn't do the same thing as every other instance of this trope, but it's a disgrace that they even did it.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
When did a heroic sacrifice become a bad thing?

Also it was not "fridging." It's implied that the symbiotic relationship goes back eons, and Mothra is gonna come right back like she has a million times before.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not to be rude and sorry if it does come across as this, but it seems to me that you get very defensive about stuff you like and feel a bit threatened if something in a similar style is on the same level of popularity.
Fridging is frustratingly lazy writing to make male protagonists force emotional reactions out of the viewers/readers while lazily going "WOW LOOK HOW BAD THE BAD GUY IS, HE KILLED A WOMAN!". King of Monsters obviously didn't do the same thing as every other instance of this trope, but it's a disgrace that they even did it.
No need to be sorry or rude because you are right. I confess that I was due to my bias love for Godzilla. Regardless at the same time I already said it but I still your opinion regardless what you thought of the film. As they say to each their own. ;)

Last edited:

QuiqueST

Smash Apprentice
Atlus is working on SMT 5
*Idon is typing furiously*

It's kinda surprising how much Bethesda has been supporting the Switch when you consider how some generations prior they didn't have any collaboration with Nintendo. Now they're on board with them and even try to push titles like Doom to be released on their platform. So I wouldn't be too surprised if that talk they had with Nintendo regarding Smash ended up successfully.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It's not the sacrifice itself that's bad but how it's handled. Everyone cries about Endgame Spoiler but it's just garbage writing in the case of Endgame
But in neither case you've listed is it fridging? The death of a female character is not automatically a trope, and unless I missed something I just don't see it in either film :dizzy:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey now guys let Cutie Gwen have her opinion. I don't agree either but all we can do is just agree to disagree on things and that's something we have to respect.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But in neither case you've listed is it fridging? The death of a female character is not automatically a trope, and unless I missed something I just don't see it in either film :dizzy:
In the case of King of Monsters, I'm going off of the word of fans, so admittedly there's been a miscommunication which would be entirely on my misinterpretation of what was said. In the case of Endgame I went on your 'sacrifice' point instead of fridging which I admittedly should have worded better. The sacrifice made was just utter dog **** too
A LOT of Black Widow's character in the MCU is "I can't have children" with AoU saying she hates herself because she can't have kids and Endgame literally going "I cannot have children so my life has less worth than those who can". There's also how the Russos confirmed a planned thing for Endgame was that Widow would take care of the children who'd have been orphaned by the Snappening which is more blatant "IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO HAVE KIDS YOU ARE INFERIOR". As a woman who literally cannot get pregnant because of stuff outside of my control, I'm sickened that this is supposed to be inspiring, that people like me should take the bullet for others because of something done outside of our control making them superior. Kind of goes against the whole point of superheroes too

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I dunno man,
Going "HEY MOTHRA'S HERE!" and then fridging her in the same ****ing movie is a disgrace to one of the most iconic monsters in Godzilla, especially if it was one hit, what a ****ing joke
She tried to protect Godzilla after fighting and defeating Rodan and clearly showing signs of fatigue whereas Ghidorah was still going strong and backed Godzilla into a corner. That's not really fridging Gwen.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
So Im watching this weeb movie called The Wind Rises
Im liking this Naoko girl a lot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey now guys let Cutie Gwen have her opinion. I don't agree either but all we can do is just agree to disagree on things and that's something we have to respect.
To be fair I seem to have misunderstood the situation. They're not giving me **** for my opinion on said trope, but rather saying I'm misinformed and am flatout wrong based off of multiple factors which I was unaware about. Nothing wrong with mere corrections

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I dunno man,
Going "HEY MOTHRA'S HERE!" and then fridging her in the same ****ing movie is a disgrace to one of the most iconic monsters in Godzilla, especially if it was one hit, what a ****ing joke

At least you're able to admit Ghost was ****ing great, REALLY hope she sticks around somehow, I'd watch a spinoff series of her trying to seek redemption considering she got to live. It's telling that she and Vulture are some of the best villains yet they don't die in their debut movies. Klaw and Kilmonger got robbed there smfh
Hey, we technically got Klaw in Age of Ultron... for like 5 minutes... But he's gotten more appearances than most MCU villains!

You wanna talk about sacrificing a character for another's development, Klaw got done real dirty there. Especially when he was the more compelling villain overall. Kilmonger was great on paper, but he went supervillain-y a little too fast for my tastes.

Then again, I generally think Black Panther is fairly overrated. I get why the movie means so much to so many people, but like most MCU films, it had issues and struggled in some places (The CGI was really rough towards the end, the pacing was also an issue, and the story in the film wasn't super compelling though the story behind the film was much more so). I don't see it as a top five Marvel movie and certainly don't see it as a first or second best choice. But again, there's an undeniably amazing representation element to the film I can't and won't discredit.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
In the case of King of Monsters, I'm going off of the word of fans, so admittedly there's been a miscommunication which would be entirely on my misinterpretation of what was said. In the case of Endgame I went on your 'sacrifice' point instead of fridging which I admittedly should have worded better. The sacrifice made was just utter dog **** too
A LOT of Black Widow's character in the MCU is "I can't have children" with AoU saying she hates herself because she can't have kids and Endgame literally going "I cannot have children so my life has less worth than those who can". There's also how the Russos confirmed a planned thing for Endgame was that Widow would take care of the children who'd have been orphaned by the Snappening which is more blatant "IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO HAVE KIDS YOU ARE INFERIOR". As a woman who literally cannot get pregnant because of stuff outside of my control, I'm sickened that this is supposed to be inspiring, that people like me should take the bullet for others because of something done outside of our control making them superior. Kind of goes against the whole point of superheroes too
Was that her reason for sacrificing herself? I didn't catch that in the film.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Then again, I generally think Black Panther is fairly overrated. I get why the movie means so much to so many people, but like most MCU films, it had issues and struggled in some places (The CGI was really rough towards the end, the pacing was also an issue, and the story in the film wasn't super compelling though the story behind the film was much more so). I don't see it as a top five Marvel movie and certainly don't see it as a first or second best choice. But again, there's an undeniably amazing representation element to the film I can't and won't discredit.
I feel like BP is on the better spectrum of the MCU movies especially when it comes to the standalone ones.

Though I might have a little bias

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Age of Ultron sucks almost as much as Iron Man 3 for me. Ultron was botched, Black Widow is an entire ****show between the sterilization guilt and her romance with the Hulk, QUICKSILVER ****ING DIES FROM BULLETS ARE YOU KIDDING ME, the humor fell flat, etc.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
She goes on about her forcibly being sterilized in Age of Ultron which affected her self-worth. I tried to ignore it thinking "At least Ultron will be badass" but as we all know that didn't happen
the director said the monster comment was about her being a murderer, but watching the scene now (I haven't seen AoU) I can see how it can be interpreted that way. That's an awful scene in general though, kinda awkward now seeing as Bruce is gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom