• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
frankly it's sort of bizarre that i'm barely seeing any articles about Hero's addition on news sites or reddit at all - even the smaller things like the netflix game seem to be getting more attention

it's like an entire smash character got announced then just completely glossed over
I'd chalk it up to us knowing Erdrick is coming, but you'd think four heroes plus more content than FF would create more buzz.

Hopefully, their release trailer will cause more talk around them. They were the more interesting reveal for me and I want to yell about 12 specials.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's just selective perception but I found it funny how both FE and Zelda suddenly got darker and edgier in this direct compared to the last one.

NNN

Smash Cadet
Amazing how exactly a year ago we were learning that Ridley was gonna be playable and now we've got Banjo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Amazing how exactly a year ago we were learning that Ridley was gonna be playable and now we've got Banjo.
"All veterans, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Banjo? **** off with this fanboy fantasy bull****. Next you're gonna say that they brought back Melee airdodging or some other wavedash garbage."

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Also I must say that no longer being concerned with who the next DLC fighters may be is so wonderful.

Once again I can look forward to a character and what they'll bring, and not worry about what comes after.

For example: which Hero design do you think you'll use the most? I'm probably going with Solo, but Eight looks really good too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DQ fans here, explain me this.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's super easy. That's Munchie; Eight's little critter friend. In Dragon Quest VIII, Munchie is used to explore certain areas in the game and you can also feed him cheeses that you can make in the Alchemy Pot that can cause all sorts of effects to happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
frankly it's sort of bizarre that i'm barely seeing any articles about Hero's addition on news sites or reddit at all - even the smaller things like the netflix game seem to be getting more attention

it's like an entire smash character got announced then just completely glossed over
Dragon Quest is still fairly niche worldwide.

It being a generic class may also have something to do with it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Funny you should mention that. Most of what was in the leaks actually ended up in the E3 trailer. Most of it dealt with the existence of a time skip and a war between the houses, which is public knowledge now. :p

The leaks don't mention too much about the story that isn't public now, but the leaker, for what it's worth, seemed to really like it. For reference, the leaker gave Genealogy a 10/10 for story and Fates a 2/10. They gave Three Houses a 9/10.
2/10 is generous.

Did he consider anything else worse or was 2/10 his lowest score?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
smash DLC now finally formatting as intended on the main website - looks like they've moved it to the top to emphasise it

1560351561999.png

interestingly, it maintains the table format, so slots can still be added and removed at will (as was likely happening during yesterday's glitch period)

1560351643445.png

Last edited by a moderator:

NNN

Smash Cadet
"All veterans, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Banjo? **** off with this fanboy fantasy bull****. Next you're gonna say that they brought back Melee airdodging or some other wavedash garbage."
Joker???? From Persona 5??? Are you on drugs dude, that's never gonna happen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
2/10 is generous.

Did he consider anything else worse or was 2/10 his lowest score?
He only gave those two data points so I assumed they were the highest and lowest. :p

It's just selective perception but I found it funny how both FE and Zelda suddenly got darker and edgier in this direct compared to the last one.
To be fair, SoV was far from sunshine and rainbows, especially with some of the implications about Lima and Liprica.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
smash DLC now finally formatting as intended on the main website - looks like they've moved it to the top to emphasise it

View attachment 227680

interestingly, it maintains the table format, so slots can still be added and removed at will (as was likely happening during yesterday's glitch period)

View attachment 227681
Weird. Won't show up on my browser. So it's back to the 6 slots as normal?

But yeah, the idea 6 slots was ironclad is silly too. Just like the idea that we're getting more when it could be a site glitch is silly. Just as you said, they can do whatever they want and keep us guessing~

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Weird. Won't show up on my browser. So it's back to the 6 slots as normal?

But yeah, the idea 6 slots was ironclad is silly too. Just like the idea that we're getting more when it could be a site glitch is silly. Just as you said, they can do whatever they want and keep us guessing~
masahiro sakurai loses his mind, c. 2019
1560352079612.png

D

Deleted member

For example: which Hero design do you think you'll use the most? I'm probably going with Solo, but Eight looks really good too.
I'll probably be using Eight, as not only does he look cool, but he also has a mouse in his pocket, and I love cute little details like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
In Japan, I heard it's actually the other way around.
From what Ive seen, JP seems to like bother characters

View attachment 227680

View attachment 227681
Again, it doesnt. it only has 2 slots. Or did you edit it to show your point and I read wrong

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
In Japan, I heard it's actually the other way around.
Actually, from what I seen, there is alot of Japanese peoples who are excited over Banjo inclusion.

That and
Banjo was always a fairly popular pick in the East, just not as much as in the West.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Actually, from what I seen, there is alot of Japanese peoples who are excited over Banjo inclusion.

That and
Banjo was always a fairly popular pick in the East, just not as much as in the West.
When the new of the hero and banjo were released, the Japanese Twitter was booming more about the hero then banjo. That's all I'm saying.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

That and
its really the west that seems hostiile to a character we dont know
When the new of the hero and banjo were released, the Japanese Twitter was booming more about the hero then banjo. That's all I'm saying.
Tho I do remeber when Little mac came out, thr common thing I saw from JP is "Who is little mac?" and "no one asked for this"

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of DLC reactions, anyone got any videos of Japanese viewers reacting to the Hero? Spent most of yesterday evening watching various YouTubers react and unsurprisingly it's mostly "..." to Hero and "HOLYSDFSDSF" to Banjo

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Tho I do remeber when Little mac came out, thr common thing I saw from JP is "Who is little mac?" and "no one asked for this"
To be fair, Punch-Out NES only had limited release in Japan, and by that, I mean it was a game you could get by winning a tourney or something like that, outside of that? Punch-Out was basically no-existent in Japan and was pretty much made for the West in all shape and form, with Mike Tyson being used for the final boss specifically to gain attention from Western players, since Tyson was the champion at the time.

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I think it comes out of a feeling built over years that the popularity in the West doesn’t really matter. A character can get in that people in the states don’t really know or care about, but not vice versa with Japan.

Of course, Banjo goes against that thought process now.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Looks like Banjo's never getting in because he's only popular in the west.
Don't forget he is forgotten, nobody remember that old silly bear & his crazy bird those days.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Speaking of DLC reactions, anyone got any videos of Japanese viewers reacting to the Hero? Spent most of yesterday evening watching various YouTubers react and unsurprisingly it's mostly "..." to Hero and "HOLYSDFSDSF" to Banjo
Whatever you do, dont watch Alpahrads reaction to hero, it was so.... to put it nicely annoying
you know, just like him

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just realized that Hero technically took Incineroar's spot as the newest character on the roster since Eleven debuted in July of 2017.

At the very least, we now know that anyone before mid 2017 would've been considered.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What if you wanted to buy Eight at launch, but the eShop said...

View attachment 227686
Honestly they need to have the foresight to release a new character's patch long before the character itself. That way there's not as much stress on the eShop, Pass owners get the character instantly, and everybody wins.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Here is your wholesome media of the day.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

Just realized that Hero technically took Incineroar's spot as the newest character on the roster since Eleven debuted in July of 2017.

At the very least, we now know that anyone before mid 2017 would've been considered.
Crash got more likely thanks to that.

Honestly they need to have the foresight to release a new character's patch long before the character itself. That way there's not as much stress on the eShop, Pass owners get the character instantly, and everybody wins.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom