• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell me about these Heroes

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Unfamiliar with series so I'd just like to learn more about these characters. Who are they?

I understand some basic stuff

Luminary, sometimes called Eleven. The default...... That's it

Erdrick is the hero of Dragon Quest 3, (although Erdrick is apparently more of a title that Luminary also earns.) apparently was spoken of in legend of the first two games or something

Eight, before Smash speculation, this was the design I most associated with Dragon Quest protagonist. Happy it's here. But I know nothing about it. Is there a name more appropriate than 8?

And there's the other one, I saw someone refer to as Solo? I know nothing.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest VIII is generally regarded as the Dragon Quest that got people into the series (well, it came with a demo of the latest Final Fantasy at the time, which helped), and was also the first time in the West the series had its proper title, so people look at it fondly. It's sort of that series' version of Final Fantasy VII.

The last character you're referring to is from Dragon Quest IV, the final installment on the Famicom, and the first that was part of the so-called "Zenithia Trilogy", which revolved around a floating castle being a key aspect in IV, V, and VI. This installment featured a chapter-based format where each of the heroes would be introduced in a brief prologue that helped establish a bit of the story before you got to the actual part of the game where everyone unites.

I am curious about why they went with IV's hero instead of, say, V or even VI, but I'm guessing it's due to notoriety, I guess. VII's hero is much too small, IX has angel wings by default, X's "default" hero (remember, this one is the MMO) is unknown outside of Japan as X probably won't ever be released due to technical issues, and when debating between Erdrick (III) and the original Hero (I), they went with Erdrick as the lore begins with Erdrick.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'd actually like to learn more about the series. I've never played DQ, I was a major supporter of Isaac mostly because I loved all the RPG elements and strategy involved in the combat of the Golden Sun series (which goes beyond just ability types and MP). It seems to me like The Hero is bringing a lot of the RPG strategy elements into smash so just with the small 3 minute trailer I am already pretty certain I want to main him, lol. As such, I'd actually like to get to know the characters and the story. I guess it would be best to actually play the games but maybe I can hear more about them here in this thread.

D

Deleted member

I'd actually like to learn more about the series. I've never played DQ, I was a major supporter of Isaac mostly because I loved all the RPG elements and strategy involved in the combat of the Golden Sun series (which goes beyond just ability types and MP). It seems to me like The Hero is bringing a lot of the RPG strategy elements into smash so just with the small 3 minute trailer I am already pretty certain I want to main him, lol. As such, I'd actually like to get to know the characters and the story. I guess it would be best to actually play the games but maybe I can hear more about them here in this thread.
The series plays like a traditional turn-based battle (if anything, it is among the forefathers of video game RPGs) where you enter a command and the actions play out, but it requires you to think about what to do considering that enemies have magic abilities and defenses (or, "defences", which you'll have to get used to the language of the series, which they adopted after VIII after using a more basic language on the GBC and NES). The Heroes in each game are effectively faceless masses that are meant to be avatars for the player, and the support comes from the other party members. I mentioned the popularity of VIII, where the player focuses more on Yangus and King Trode at the beginning of the game. The only exceptions to the rule are IX, where you can create your own party, which means they're all generic, and X, which is an MMO exclusive to Japan.

Hunter Nightblood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
kah0922
I am curious about why they went with IV's hero instead of, say, V or even VI, but I'm guessing it's due to notoriety, I guess.
I think the reason why IV was picked over V was that the hero of V is always portrayed with a staff rather than a sword, so a skin swap wouldn't work,

The only exceptions to the rule are IX, where you can create your own party, which means they're all generic.
This was also the case in III.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the reason why IV was picked over V was that the hero of V is always portrayed with a staff rather than a sword, so a skin swap wouldn't work,

It's more due to the fact that his set of abilities is pretty diffetent from the standard fare of of DQ protagonists (which there *is* a reason for, spoilers tho)
Hell, with DQV being one of the first JRPGs to incorporate monster capturing he could easily be a completely separate character in Smash if they wanted to, incorporating that.

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Yes, there is an explanation why the hero of Draque 5 (Madason) cannot be treated in the same way as Erdrick, Solo or the Luminary, but you'll have to play the game to discover why.

Well, If you like Golden Sun, you will surely like Dragon Quest too. Both series are similar. Give a try to Draque 4 or 5 or even 6 on DS or Android, and the 11 on PS4 or Switch.

Hunter Nightblood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
kah0922
The android remakes of V and VI are surprisingly good. In fact, I'd say VI is better on android due to the balance changes.

Can anybody tell me about the mouse in the bandanna hero’s pocket? (I believe his name is Eight)
It's his pet, named Munchie. And that's all I can say without spoilers.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yes, there is an explanation why the hero of Draque 5 (Madason) cannot be treated in the same way as Erdrick, Solo or the Luminary, but you'll have to play the game to discover why.

Well, If you like Golden Sun, you will surely like Dragon Quest too. Both series are similar. Give a try to Draque 4 or 5 or even 6 on DS or Android, and the 11 on PS4 or Switch.

Which game would you all recommend to start with? I guess you're all saying 5 is pretty different, so maybe not that one? X is an MMO so definitely not that one. I will probably play 11 on the Switch once it releases. So out of the other ones, which would be the best to start out with?

Hunter Nightblood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
kah0922
Which game would you all recommend to start with? I guess you're all saying 5 is pretty different, so maybe not that one? X is an MMO so definitely not that one. I will probably play 11 on the Switch once it releases. So out of the other ones, which would be the best to start out with?
I haven't beaten it yet, but I'd say VIII is a good starting point.

V is good too actually. Some say it has the best plot in the series.

Last edited:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
For starter, It should be 4, 5 or 6.
They are really good.

5 is easily the shortest (33h) but the best storyline, with the most suprising and moving moments: you have your characters and you can also recuit monsters.
4 is a bit longer (35h) and has 4 short chapters with differents characters, which reunite with the hero in the fifth one, a bit like in Golden Sun 2 when your two teams reunite. That said, it's my least favorite here. But it's a good entry.
6 is a bit bland and really classic, but it's longer (50h), a bit more difficult and has a job system like in Draque 3 and Draque 7. It's more interesting in matter of team building and some stories are well written, just like in 5.

Start with 5 I think. But play 4 or 6 after, it worth it.
BTW: 5 takes place 1000 years after 4, so you may recognize some particular places...well 6 is linked to 4 and 5 too, but I will not spoil how.

PS: Yes, Draque 11 has to be played, anytime, hands down, one of the top 5 in the whole saga.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
For starter, It should be 4, 5 or 6.
They are really good.

5 is easily the shortest (33h) but the best storyline, with the most suprising and moving moments: you have your characters and you can also recuit monsters.
4 is a bit longer (35h) and has 4 short chapters with differents characters, which reunite with the hero in the fifth one, a bit like in Golden Sun 2 when your two teams reunite. That said, it's my least favorite here. But it's a good entry.
6 is a bit bland and really classic, but it's longer (50h), a bit more difficult and has a job system like in Draque 3 and Draque 7. It's more interesting in matter of team building and some stories are well written, just like in 5.

Start with 5 I think. But play 4 or 6 after, it worth it.
BTW: 5 takes place 1000 years after 4, so you may recognize some particular places...well 6 is linked to 4 and 5 too, but I will not spoil how.

PS: Yes, Draque 11 has to be played, anytime, hands down, one of the top 5 in the whole saga.
Ok, I guess I will start with 5 then.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Eight, before Smash speculation, this was the design I most associated with Dragon Quest protagonist. Happy it's here. But I know nothing about it. Is there a name more appropriate than 8?
If you don't like calling him Eight you can just call him Guv. One of the main characters calls him that throughout the entire game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If you don't like calling him Eight you can just call him Guv. One of the main characters calls him that throughout the entire game.
That's a pretty ok name. It's better than Eight at least. (What is this Dragon Ball androids? :p) But yeah, just like Fleurette calls the hero from DQS "Blade", it's cool that they give them a nickname, to have something to call them other than Hero.

Top Bottom