• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell me about the whistle

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
What do people think about his down b for cycling through pikmin? I read about it, and its a bit weird: Instead of cycling to the next pikmin, it organizes them, then gets the next pikmin type. Which seems logical, but as I play I feel like its a bit too confusing: im not sure if im organized yet. I think that all that is necessary is to cycle to the next pikmin. I understand the idea of learning to adapt to something vs changing something, but I feel that a simpler cycling option would be much easier, yet not completely free and easy. Or am I just a scrub and I should just git gud and adapt.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Nah Olimar has a lot of tiny intricacies that are not so widely known. Whistle has a set order: Red->Yellow->Blue->White->Purple skipping any color you don't have

Say you have a white, two blues, and a yellow. The first time you whistle your yellow is up next. You can keep fighting And your lineup may get mixed u, but the next time you whistle the blues will be next.

Its really quick, so if you whistle to white and land a combo starter you can whistle and attack, and it's guaranteed to be a purple up next.

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
I thought all it did was organize your pikmin in coloured order, and then cycle through the types. There must be more to this. Is there some place where it says all of the intricacies about the whistle?

Dotcom

Smash Lord
That's... exactly what i told you it does. Cycle through the order. I gave you the order. The different colors, are the different types of pikmin. There isn't much more to it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
1) Olimar plucks 4 Pikmin that come out in the order of Yellow > Purple > Red > White
2a) If Olimar hasn't whistled yet, or if his last whistle put Purple in front, then that means that it's Red's turn to go to the front of the line and the whistle will reorganize his Pikmin like this: Red > Yellow > White > Purple.
2b) If Olimar has whistled once, then that means that it's Yellow's turn to take the lead. Which would reorganize step 1's list to be: Yellow > White > Purple > Red.

This is important to note, because good organization through Whistle and your Pikmin attacks can lead to you getting the Pikmin you want to the front faster.

As an example of good Whistle organization, let's say your lineup is Red > Blue > Purple > Purple, and it's Blue's turn next Whistle.

Whistle once to make the order Blue > Purple > Purple > Red.

Next use ANY Pikmin attack to change the order Purple > Purple > Red > Blue.

Now you can use both of your Purple Pikmin, then Whistle ONCE and both Purple Pikmin will be the next in line again. This is because the Whistle saves whatever the last color you were on, regardless of how you use your Pikmin. It also saves whatever color is next in line after Olimar uses a stock, so if you were to lose a stock using the previous example (with Red being next in line), and you have a line up of Yellow > Yellow > Red > White and you whistle, Red will jump to the front of the line because Purple was the last Pikmin to be called to the front with Whistle.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't the whistle grant launch resistance on certain frames as well? That's a nuance that is helpful in some instances.

In addition, instead of having to actually see the order of the Pikmin, you can just look at the top of Olimar's antenna. Whatever color it is, that's the next Pikmin in line.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Doesn't the whistle grant launch resistance on certain frames as well? That's a nuance that is helpful in some instances.
The super armor on whistle was taken out in PM.

Looking at the antenna definitely works. However if you can see it, so can your opponent. It's good to get in the habit of watching your line, as what pikmin comes after the one you have up next in line, affects your approach and defensive option. Plus having a purple next in the whistle queue can, and will save your stock.

TricksterNo1

Smash Rookie
The super armor on whistle was taken out in PM.

Looking at the antenna definitely works. However if you can see it, so can your opponent. It's good to get in the habit of watching your line, as what pikmin comes after the one you have up next in line, affects your approach and defensive option. Plus having a purple next in the whistle queue can, and will save your stock.
What doe the purple do yo save your stock?

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Olimar is very succeptible to edge guarding if you didn't know. We don't have many means of safely attacking someone in an edge guard position without putting ourselves at risk. While aerials can connect, purple side b is an easy to perform, low commit option that forces an opponent to react. Also taking early stocks, saves stocks. Flowered purple up air and up smash are two ridiculously stromg moves that do just that.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Now you can use both of your Purple Pikmin, then Whistle ONCE and both Purple Pikmin will be the next in line again. This is because the Whistle saves whatever the last color you were on, regardless of how you use your Pikmin.
The last color I was on? But that's red after using the 2 purple's, isn't it? Do you mean the last color that was used in some way?

B.W.

Smash Champion
If Blue came to the front of the line last time you whistled, then Purple will go to the front, regardless of who's in your line (so long as there's no White of course).

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Oooh so the whistle after using the purples then skips blue, which is the last one it put up front and puts up the following color which is in this case purple.

In brawl the pikmin had a hierarchy of sorts, is it still the same? iirc it was Red > Yellow > Blue > White > Purple.

Cheers for the answer, cleared that up.

Top Bottom