• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teleport. Tap Jump?

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
So i am practicing my Mewtwo and teleporting is probably where i can improve most at the moment (i get sideB to often fro my taste :( ). Offensive Tp and therefor keeping the pressure of potential Tp is pretty nice and so i practice it. I turned off tapjump at the start in my mewtwo controlls because when i shortjump-teleported i sometimes got into special fall. Apparantly the Up movement from the upB produced a not recognizable second jump.

Today i thought about not shortjumping at all but using that tapjump from the upB to have one less button. Is this something Mewtwos do or is it just silly?

How do you teleport in best?

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
Using tap to jump and then upB is a good way to do it for sure. Another way you can do it is to just tilt for your teleport instead of pressing all the way up and you won't jump. The way I do it is I make sure I'm pressing up and B at the same time. There is no wrong answer.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
I just teleport fast enough so that the DJ doesn't count as a DJ when I teleport. Its not always effective but it works more than not for me.

Ithnex

Smash Rookie
I use No tap jump as well because I had the same problem as you. You end up messing up your spacing when you use DJ prematurely

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Turning tap jump off won't hurt Mewtwo too much since he doesn't really rely on DJC and usmash/upb OoS are only so-so, but it's useful for many other characters. Learning to upb without riding the control stick gate would be a good idea.

Last edited:

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Turning tap jump off won't hurt Mewtwo too much since he doesn't really rely on DJC and usmash/upb OoS are only so-so, but it's useful for many other characters. Learning to upb without riding the control stick gate would be a good idea.
Tap jump to DJC? Gross. You can just tap X/Y twice for that and use Z to do the aerial, so you don't lose that at all. Plus you can just do spacies input for upb OoS similar to shine OoS. Usmash out of shield is all you really lose.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Tap jump has a unique three frame buffer (of sorts - you have to hold the input until the first actionable frame), so it's ideal for ensuring you DJ on the first possible frame (Lucas' DJC aerials, Peach and Yoshi's DJLs, etc). Also useful for non-DJC characters trying to jump out of tight punishes, among other things, but that's not terribly relevant for Mewtwo. Upb/usmash OoS are certainly doable in a variety of ways without tap jump, it's just the simplest option and the one that's easiest to execute frame-perfect.

Top Bottom