• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teleport Edge Cancelling Angles

SmashXX

Smash Cadet
Hi, I've been maining Zelda since the Brawl days and lurk around here often.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these videos I made for preference with everyone here! It's just me showing the various ways of teleport edge cancelling on these stages for tournament play. If I had a capture card and video editing software I'd make this into a guide explaining this in more detail.

Battlefield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6oUemcE_Pg

Smashville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdhYAQ-bL4

Town and City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noj_RZ1xhyo

Dreamland 64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWunnI3sToo

Duck Hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50-QuVxbu4

Lylat Cruise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_qYQGwLr1U

Final Destination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6T7OFUP7w

Also, in the channel I have more videos on two-framing character recoveries with Zelda's down tilt.

Last edited:

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
Thank you for spending the time to lab! We need more labbers exploring some of Zelda's more advanced techniques!

Edit: And I just realized I have been subscribed to your channel lol.

Last edited:

SmashXX

Smash Cadet
Thank you for spending the time to lab! We need more labbers exploring some of Zelda's more advanced techniques!

Edit: And I just realized I have been subscribed to your channel lol.
No problem! Yeah, I just noticed too because of the name lol.

I've put two more stages up. Also, if you have enough room to roll twice away from edge, you can jump, then after about one fourth of the full jump, Farore's towards it (down-right or down-left, the notches located next to the bottom one, if using GCN controller) to cancel. The angles are limitless lol.

I wish her cancels were as easy as Palu's and Mewtwo's though.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
No problem! Yeah, I just noticed too because of the name lol.

I've put two more stages up. Also, if you have enough room to roll twice away from edge, you can jump, then after about one fourth of the full jump, Farore's towards it (down-right or down-left, the notches located next to the bottom one, if using GCN controller) to cancel. The angles are limitless lol.

I wish her cancels were as easy as Palu's and Mewtwo's though.
Yeah, thanks. Your videos helped to finally convince me to try ledge canceling! I was testing stuff out myself in training mode, and I did find out about the trick you were describing. You have to first roll towards the edge, so you are right at the edge, and then roll twice inwards. And then you'll be at the right distance to jump and FW diagonally to sweet spot the ledge cancel as you described.

I also found that after you do a normal getup back onto the stage, you can roll inwards once, and then you can double jump and immediately FW straight down (do the inputs as fast as possible) to sweetspot the ledge cancel.

I only wish it was easy to actually land some hits on the opponent after a ledge cancel. It's hard to predict where your opponent is going to move to so far in advance.

SmashXX

Smash Cadet
For the one where you roll inwards once, you can also just jump once inwards and do Farore's while keeping your momentum. The Smashville video covers those measurements but they also apply to the other stages too!

As long as you know you're two rolls away from the edge and do a Farore's like you would by rolling twice and jumping, you should be able to cancel off of any edge the same way as using a double-jump-downward Farore's (described in the videos).

That's how I was able to cancel on the moving platforms in both the Animal Crossing stages, just visualize your edge target being two rolls away and make sure you Farore's at the right height.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
For the one where you roll inwards once, you can also just jump once inwards and do Farore's while keeping your momentum. The Smashville video covers those measurements but they also apply to the other stages too!

As long as you know you're two rolls away from the edge and do a Farore's like you would by rolling twice and jumping, you should be able to cancel off of any edge the same way as using a double-jump-downward Farore's (described in the videos).

That's how I was able to cancel on the moving platforms in both the Animal Crossing stages, just visualize your edge target being two rolls away and make sure you Farore's at the right height.
Nice to know. I'm glad you are pushing ledge canceling. This is one of zelda's few more advanced techs.

MoS03

Smash Rookie
Ledge cancelling is incredible! I've actually run to the middle of the stage in order to cancel behind me, because it was A) unexpected, and B) actually a little faster. I've been working on it, but I'm still not perfect with it. After watching these videos, guess it's time to go lab for a few hours... every day this week... until I can do it in tournament confidently. Crap.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
I think it would be very helpful to create reference images that show all the different angles from different positions on the map where ledge cancels are possible. Obviously we'd need a very organized way to do it though so it's not just a big mess, but these videos are greatly appreciated and I feel will help push Zelda's meta a bit more since they're great visualizations of where to go for ledge cancels.

SmashXX

Smash Cadet
I think it would be very helpful to create reference images that show all the different angles from different positions on the map where ledge cancels are possible. Obviously we'd need a very organized way to do it though so it's not just a big mess, but these videos are greatly appreciated and I feel will help push Zelda's meta a bit more since they're great visualizations of where to go for ledge cancels.
You're welcome, I think we should all share as much as we know about this character so that we can advance her meta as much as possible. I'd make these images you talk about but I don't have the software to do so :(

This is definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Thank you but I think those will be the only stages I'll cover because that's what the major tournaments use. Delfino Plaza, Halberd, and Castle Siege are rarely used (from what I see) in smaller tournaments and are banned in the big tournaments. Also, since those stages all transform it'll make it difficult to cover the entire cycle in a video, especially since I don't have a capture card and only rely on the three-minute upload limit to YouTube by the Wii U.

I think that if one gets familiar with the ones I posted, they should have a better understanding on Farore's and will be able to find angles for Delfino Plaza, Halberd, and Castle Siege very easily.

Top Bottom