• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teleport and Hover Techniques

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Yo! I’m The ToolBag, A Florida PM Mewtwo player. This is my first post, so please take my words with a grain of salt.

I have been maining Mewtwo since 3.0 came out, because I saw true potential in him and I knew he was the best character. No one knew it yet at the time. One of the main reasons I think this was, was because many people played Mewtwo like he was from Melee. Emukiller was the first person to effectively start using his new features at a high level. Smash G0d is another example.

This post is just a few things that I have discovered about using Mewtwo, plus some things that I have learned. I guarantee that you have heard or used some of the things I am about to talk about. Since I do not want this article to be too broad and focus on all of Mewtwo’s new skills, I am going to focus on Teleports and Hovering and what you can do out of them.

Controller Scheme:

Before I start, I want to clarify that I use Mewtwo with tap jump off. The reason for this is because I will always have a second jump out of teleport as long as I haven’t double jumped before teleporting. Tap jump on does provide more control, but most things discussed in this post cannot be performed with it on. On my Controller scheme, I use the R Trigger as another Jump button (L can be used as well if you use R primarily for shielding or L-Cancels). I do this so I can hold R after a teleport in order to hover while executing aerials without input error, and as fast I can.

Terms:

There are a few terms that I would like to define before I start.

T-Hover: Teleport to hover. A command in which Mewtwo short hops into a teleport, into hover.

T-Turnaround: Teleporting in a direction, and at the end of your command, switching your control stick to the opposite side in order for Mewtwo to appear facing the opposite direction.

Smash-Hover: Smash DI into hover. Ok I am pretty sure I am the first person to discover this or at least the first to start using it that I’ve noticed. It will be the first thing I talk about.

I am going to break my article into two sections: Attack and Escape options.

Escape

Smash-Hover:

Let’s face it, Mewtwo is heavy. One of his greatest and only weaknesses is that he can get comboed easily. It is very hard to get out of C.Falcon or Sheik’s D-throw to Fair, or Fox’s U-throw to Uair. In a situation of escape, most players smash DI and then double jump if need be. All Mewtwo mains instinctively want to teleport. You should do neither. Mewtwo’s double jump is a bad means for escape because it dips first and it is very slow. Teleport is not a good option in this situation, because there is a little bit of lag time in which Mewtwo can be hit out of teleport. His teleports can also be read. The best option in this situation is to smash DI into a hover, because hover not only comes out faster than the other options, but it also leaves Mewto in a favorable position to counterattack whiffs. Just make sure to hover in the correct direction (preferably up, depending of the nature of the opponent’s character). Just remember that Mewtwo cannot Smash-Hover if he has already double-jumped or hovered.

Please, try it out, and let me know if you also think it is a good option.

Teleporting Mind Games:

When teleporting to escape, other high level players will read teleports. When deciding to teleport to attack or dodge an attack, remember that it is important to teleport away, or teleport towards the opponent depending on options and risks. Teleporting upward when air born should be your last resort, unless you have another jump, as it does leave Mewtwo the most open. If close to the ledge, teleporting to the ledge in order to attain invincibility is a good option. Teleporting is most useful in directions where it auto-cancels.

Attack

Horizontal Approach T-Hover/Teleport Options:

Shadow ball to T-hover: This is a good approach as long as your shadow balls are small and do not have much knockback. Throw out a barrage of shadow balls to force opponent to shield. From here, it depends on how your opponent acts with the shield. If you opponent taps his shield and releases, the best option is to teleport behind or in front with either T-Hover, or T-Turnaround Hover and then attack with aerials. F-air is good to start vertical combos, Bair for horizontal combos and Nair for shield poke, and percentage. It is always important to hover in order to avoid shield grabs and to chain aerials together for shield pressure. Good shield pressure includes Bair-Bair-Nair, Nair-Nair, Nair-Bair, Bair-Bair-Fair and Nair-Fair. If your opponent likes holding his shield, Teleport to confusion is the best option.

Reverse Shadow Ball and Reverse Disable:

Two ways I like to kill or rack up damage are the reverse shadow ball/ reverse disable techniques. What to do with minimal punishment for error is T-Turnaround behind an opponent, and then continue to release a shadow ball or disable. This is an easy way to start a combo, kill an opponent, or rack on some early percentage from that shadow ball you charged while your opponent was re-spawning.

T-Turnaround-Hover Bairs:

A safe way to approach, or catch up to an opponent that you just hit with a good amount of knockback, is to T-Turnaround-Hover in front of your opponent and then Bair them. This works well as an edge guard if your opponent is in the air. It is relatively safe as well, as Mewtwo’s tail hit-box is much smaller than his body.

Ledge-Guarding

The Ultimate Edge-guard:

Working off the approach from T-Turnaround-Hover Bairs, Mewtwo’s best, but hardest to perfect, edge guard is to knock the opponent of the screen at medium to high percentage, preferably with a B-throw. After they are off the stage near the blast zone, T-Turnaround-Hover near them, and one bair should be able to kill them. Because you are hovering, there is room to position yourself perfectly, or bair again in case you miss the first one. Just remember that your hover is the only thing keeping you alive, so don’t stay out there too long and don’t let go of that hover. The best stage for this option is WarioWare, as there is low risk and high reward.

Edge-stalls as gimps:

If you are playing against a fast falling character, the ultimate edge-guard may not work as well. In this scenario, good options are running off the ledge and Uairing, or teleporting to the ledge if the opponent wants to sweet spot the ledge. If they decide to not sweet spot the ledge, then Bair them until they do.

Up-Throw Chase: After up-throwing at medium-high percentage, jump to teleport and fair to give your opponent vertically knockback. This will almost always kill, but can be punished hard. Sometimes it is better to jump, to T-Hover vertically and upair. If your opponent is close enough to the blast zone, this may kill them as well.

This concludes my Teleport and Hover Techniques report. Let me know what you think, and tell me what you have discovered!

-ToolBag out yo!

Nemy

群れ
My boy Tool with the knowledge drop. Ill have to try out that smash-hover tech. Good first post son.

*Edit - I just realised smash-hover is something ive been doing subconciously lol.

Last edited:

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of side B out of TP when the opponent is holding their shield. Usually what ends up happening is I TP hover nair and they just hold their shield for the duration and then I hover away into wave land away to disengage. Side B would be a pretty great option once you know your opponent likes to hold their shield, or if you think that they are expecting you to TP hover nair. Good observation(s)!

Top Bottom