• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Techniques at the Speed of Sound! (SSBB Sonic Technique Guide)

Guide Techniques at the Speed of Sound! (SSBB Sonic Technique Guide)

superlevi12345

Smash Rookie
NNID
superlevi12345
Do you main Sonic in Brawl? Do you want to compete in tournaments or troll your friends with your skills? Well, this guide can help you do both! Learn awesome techniques to help boost your skills for the Blue Blur.It is not just Spin Dash techniques, but also Dair spiking, Hyphen Smashes and more!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
  • Acronyms
  • Dair Techniques(Spiking and Canceling)
  • Hyphen Smashing
  • Dash Attack Techniques(Delaying and Canceling)
  • Spring Jump Techniques(Momentum)
  • Edge Tricks
  • Homing Attack
  • Shield Canceling
  • Spin Dash Techniques
Hope this helps you guys and please enjoy!If you want me to do more,please like the guide,it helps a LOT!

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This guide appears to have nothing in it.

:093:

superlevi12345

Smash Rookie
NNID
superlevi12345
This guide appears to have nothing in it.

:093:
its not done yet.ill probably finish it by tommorow.Thanks for repling!

Acronyms.Probably one of the hardest parts to understand in this guide.But don't worry,cause if you read this part,understanding will be a cinch!:)
  • Forward aerial=Fair
  • Neutral aerial=Nair
  • Backward aerial=Bair
  • Upward aerial=uair(Even I don't understand this one,but that's how they say it,so I guess I might as well use it.)
  • Downward aerial=Dair
  • Hyphen Smash=HS
  • Dash Attack=DA
  • Homing Attack=HA
  • Aerial Spin Charge=ASC
  • Spin Dash=SD
  • Spin Charge=SC
  • Spin Dash Jump=SDJ
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump=VSDJ
  • Spin Dash Roll=SDR
  • Spinshot=SS
  • Spring Jump=SJ

Last edited by a moderator:

superlevi12345

Smash Rookie
NNID
superlevi12345
Now that we have the acronyms out of the way,let's start with Sonic's Dair techniques.He has two major techniques with his Dair,spiking and canceling.Let's start with spiking,then we'll go to canceling.Ready,set,GO!
OK,so when you Dair someone on the ground,it will send them at a 60 degree angle.(upwards and this is not math class)
The same thing goes when your in the air.If you hit them too early,it will send them upwards.If you do it too late,the same thing happens.But if you get it just right,it will knock them sideways,which is what you want to do.You can edgeguard with this,especially if your opponent messes up grabbing the ledge.I know this is not spiking you wanted,but it is what it is.Now with that out of the way,let's get into canceling.There are two ways to cancel your Dair,the MLG cool-looking way or the basic not-as-cool way.Let's start with the basic one.While both can save your life,the basic one is the one that will save your life the most,after what I have played.The way you cancel this way is,after some frames,you can SJ or jump out of your Dair.This can make some trolling and mind-bending results and can help you recover out of either a failed Dair or after a spiked one.Now let's get into the cool way.This way consists of reducing landing lag from a Dair.A non-canceled Dair looks like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c timestamp:0:19 A canceled Dair looks like this:same video as non-canceled timestamp:0:21 As you can see,they are drastically different from each other,and it's in reverse in you do in the opposite direction.You can use any move after Dair cancelling and you can even grab the ledge after doing it.Here are some ways to do it.Double jump+Spring,Full jump+Spring,Grounded Spring.Here's a tip:if t=you hear the "boom" sound when your doing a Dair,you're not doing a Dair cancel.

Now that we've gotten Dair techniques out of the way,let's go into Hyphen Smashing,otherwise known as "the Sliding Up Smash".It is very simple to do.Just dash and do your up smash.That's it.All characters can slide smash, though characters with low traction and/or high ground speed will cover a larger distance.Because this section was so short,let's get into DAC's.It's full name is DACUS and goes like this:The dash attack canceled up smash (abbreviated to DACUS, also referred to as Boost Smashing) is an advanced technique in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It is similar to the slide smash, but more difficult to pull off and has the potential to be much longer. As its name implies, it is performed by initiating a dash attack with the C-Stick (or D-Pad if the player is using the Nunchuk; this is much easier when the C-Stick or D-Pad is angled downwards) and immediately afterward canceling the dash attack with an up smash command. Any character can do it, but only certain characters gain a noteworthy addition to their attack strategies because of it. The furthest DACUS requires precise timing and is timed differently for each character.So,as it says,it is similar to the slide smash(which is also called a Hyphen Smash,which we learned about in this section),but with a cancelled dash attack.It clearly states the DAC is more difficult to do than a Hyphen Smash,so if you're going to enter a tournament or just want mad bragging rights,make sure you get a lot of practice and training in for the DAC.Key phrase is a LOT. So,make sure you practice.Here is some info about techniques you can do with DAC called Gatling Combo and BDACUS:The Gatling Combo is similar to the DACUS, but the dash attack is cancelled after the hitbox comes out, meaning that both the dash attack and the up smash have the potential to hit. It only gains distance similar to that of a slide smash, with the exception of Snake's. The Gatling Combo is performed by inputting the up smash with a longer delay than for the DACUS. The combo is usually used to rack up some early-percent damage, and sometimes used against shielding opponents, as the opponent may drop their shield after the dash attack and then get hit by the up smash. However, at higher percentages, the opponent will be knocked away too far by the dash attack for the up smash to be able to connect properly. Falco, Snake, Wolf, and Wario are currently known to be able to perform the Gatling Combo; however, Snake's slides too far for both the dash attack and the up smash to reliably hit when Snake doesn't slide into an edge, and Wario's Gatling Combo will only fully connect at low percents due to the up smash's poor range.The Buffered dash attack canceled up smash (shortened to BDACUS) is another variant of DACUS that has different inputs and input times. A BDACUS will result in a normal DACUS, but it will slide slightly further and has to be inputted during the ending lag of another move. Every character can use this technique but only characters that have an effective DACUS will get some usefulness out of it. It requires a player to use a move that will end on the ground and have the normal ending lag of 10 frames or use a spot dodge. In this small amount of time, the control stick has to be tapped forward then returned to its neutral state followed by two upward taps on the C-Stick. A BDACUS has no frames for the dash attack and will instead only come out as an up smash with great momentum.Also,here's so trivia about DACUS;Performing a non-sliding DACUS was briefly possible in early updates of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, prior to patch 1.0.4. It is no longer possible in any later updates of the 3DS version nor at any time in the Wii U version.I guess this section was longer than I thought it would be.Ans thanks for the support and faith in the guide,it motivates me a lot!:)Here are some GIF's of Falco,Fox,Meta Knight and Snake doing these techniques:

Falco performing a perfect charging DACUS as he slides across the PictoChat stage in Smash Brothers Brawl

Falco doing a Gatling Combo on Final Desination in Brawl?It looks like Project M to me.

Snake doing a DACUS almost the whole distance of Battlefield in Brawl.

Falco doing a BDACUS on Meta Knight in Smashville after retreating with a roll.

Fox doing a Hyphen Smash on Snake on Final Destination.
Oh yeah,just for those who have Smash Wii U and 3DS,Hyphen Smashes can be done in those games.
All GIF's taken from SmashWiki.com.I do not own the rights to these GIF's,and these are used under as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.
I guess I'll talk about DAC delaying before we go into the next section.DAC delaying is this:Tapping left and right on the controller will make you do a quick dash,then brake.You can do DACUS with this and even a regular DA.

I can already tell this is going to be a short one.In the last section,we learned about Hyphen Smashing and DACUS.Now,we are going to learn about a Spring Jump technique called a Momentum Cancel.Here's how to do it:If you do any aerial(except Dair,obviously.) or air dodge,you will land farther than if you didn't.So,say you used your Spring and took you halfway across the stage.Now,using the momentum trick,we do the same thing again and WOW!You get launched 3/4 quarters of the stage!It might not work like that,but with the momentum trick,it is significantly farther than without using the trick.Test it out on different stages and see the results!Here is a chart showing characters moves and how many frames they take from beginning to end,like uair,air dodge,bair,fair and dair.http://www.geocities.jp/kuso_dwi_lovers/list.html(PS:Sonic is at the bottom) I guess this section is done..FOOLED YOU!There are actually more techniques I wanna talk about.When Peach does her Final Smash,Sonic can dodge the sleep effect by bouncing on the Spring.You can do infinite dairs and rack up damage by doing it on the Spring until it disappears.These two techniques can only be done if the Spring is grounded.There is another SJ technique,but I want to talk about it in the Miscellaneous section.But,here are some tricks.You can Footstool after a Spring.You can actually stage spike with the Spring,if you do it just right.There is a glitch with the Spring,to where you can do a Double SJ.No,it's not the custom move in Smash for Wii U and 3DS,in Brawl.Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJM-gBZ9Zhs The creator says
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the frames, or a hidden footstool jump.-Cyberman65
It is a really awesome,but un-explainible glitch.Also,here's a demonstration of the momentum trick:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c# timestamp:3:40
Th,with GIF's and everything

Last section,we talked about SJ momentum.Now,we are going to talk about Edge Tricks.This is kind of a DIY section,but I will be telling you some edge combos and even edgeguarding.Here is an edge combo called SD to Bair.It is simple,but useful.Press back to let go of the ledge,SD away from the stage and Jump Cancel(we will talk about that later,so just jump) into a bair.Sonic has very good vertical(SJ)and horizontal(SD)recovery,making him hard to edgeguard.He has many ways to edgeguard too.If he is below an opponent grabbing the ledge,use his nair or uair.His uair is probably better.If you are behind them and they're grabbing the ledge,bair.If your abovethem,you can dair or fast fall and use a nair.If your on the stage and they're at the ledge,you can down smash,angle his side tilt downward,use his down tilt or HA.HA is probably your best option.If your at the ledge and you want to attack,don't ledge attack.Press back away from the ledge and use your SD,SC,HA,fair or turn away and bair.It will probably do more damage,specifically the specials.Just remember,his bair,uair and dair are killing moves,so use them to your advantage!You know how Jigglypuff has the Wall of Pain?Well,Sonic has something like that.If can be done with his fair and bair.While your on the stage,up throw your opponent and jump to fair them.Then fast fall.Repeat these steps(not up throw)and you'll be doing the Wall of Pain!When you go into the air,you can stop,stay on the ground and attack(your choice)or use your double jump,(if you don't have one,ignore this)SJ,fair/bair and return to the stage.If they come back,you can finish them off with a side smash.(optional)Sonic has good grabs,so using them to edgeguard is perfect.SD's and SC's work well with edgeguarding and edgehoging as well.Thx for the support:)

Last section,we talked about Edge Tricks.This section,we are going to learn about the Homing Attack and it's techniques.To do the techniques,I need to teach how the HA actually works.The HA homes in on the opponents side that is not facing you. Seem complicated?Well,to make things simpler,it tries to home on the opponents "back".It won't home in on the back all the time,it's just the side that is not facing you and we call that their back.Here is some info about it:It also possesses a unique quality, in that it tries to hit the opponent's side facing away from Sonic by traveling over them. This property means that it only hits effectively when the opponent is moving away from him on the ground, or traveling towards them in the air, making it an effective recovery gimping, and combined with his naturally good recovery, it gives Sonic a large edgeguarding potential, giving him the chance to disrupt their movement possibilityThe HA's range is like an ellipse of some sort.Now,this is just estimating and it might not be true,so keep that in mind.Let's just say it's true.The HA's range is like this(Stop at 6:53)
YOUTUBE VIDEO WATCH IT
and anyone within that range,it will lock on to.If there are multiple in the HA range,it will lock on to the nearest opponent to Sonic.Now we are going to learn about how to use the HA.Don't worry,after this we'll get into the cool stuff.I know people are gong to ask me how to make the HA hit every time and,to tell you the truth,there is no exact 100% hit ratio guaranteed,so what we have to do is know how the HA works and adapting to your opponents movement style,sometimes even predicting them.So,here are some tips & tricks about the Homing Attack in Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Smash Bros.Wii U and Nintendo 3DS:
  • The HA will try to hit the opponents back by going over them,so if your above your opponent,using the HA when he/she is coming toward you,it will not work.However,if he/she's running away from you...success!It will hit!:)Then again,if he/she goes farther than the HA range,it might lock on,but it won't connect or score a hit for you,so remember!
  • If you're below your opponent,it works the other way around,so knowing how to position yourself and the time to release the HA is very crucially important,so remember to keep the information in your mind!
Now,we are going into the techniques,but here is some more info:This move can also be used an unlimited amount of times in the air, thus allowing him to recover if opponents try to edgeguard him. If Homing Attack is used when no opponent is nearby, Sonic dashes forward at a downward diagonal angle. If Sonic does not hit anybody with it and hits the ground, he will stall for a second, leaving him open. Sonic may aim his Homing Attack once performed. Also, pressing the attack button will make him use the attack faster. It will, however, slightly decrease its accuracy.Now,let's get into techniques,starting of with Stalling.It should be noted that the Homing Attack can be used to stall indefinitely and/or travel underneath stages by jumping into the ceiling of an impenetrable platform, then using this ability to ricochet off of it at will. This is done by tapping the control stick left or right when Sonic is about to use Homing Attack, depending on the way desired to go, and then pressing B. Sonic will change his direction, and attempt to home on an enemy in that direction, or, if there is no enemy in range, dash downwards at a diagonal angle. Repeatedly using this technique under a stage is banned in most tournaments.So,if you're going to a tournament,I highly recommend not to use this technique.Now,here is a small technique called Homing Cancel Range.If the HA range follows you and you cancel at the right moment,it will lock on to the nearest in the range.There is no exact setup to get this technique right,like the cool Dair cancel,so you really have to test how it works and practice getting it right,and eventually,doing the Homing Attack Cancel will be easy as 123!
This is the final Homing Attack technique which I like to call the "Homing Attack Ladder".If two Sonics (or Kirbys with Sonic's ability) attack each other with this move, they will slowly jump upwards until they reach the top of the screen, in a manner similar to the Luigi Ladder,which can lead to a self-destruct and possibly result into a Star-KO,Screen-KO,loss of life or points or even a Game Over,so be careful when you use this useless,yet amazingly cool technique!:):):):)
Here is some trivia about the Homing Attack:
Next section,we will go into Shield Canceling,so stay tuned and thanks for the support,it helps a LOT.So much support!:)

Hi guys!I'm back to making guides as it has been 7 months since the last section.I will finish this guide tomorrow and also do a Smash 4 guide on Sonic,well at least start it.Thanks for supporting me!

Shield canceling is very important in Sonic's playstyle as is one of his best approach options.Not only can it juke out opponents,it can also be used to save yourself from a potential situation.It is only possible with the Spin Dash.If you press shield before the Spind Dash fully charges,you will shield cancel.You can also shieldgrab to juke them even more and you can grab them if at close range.It sends Sonic a far distance if not far enough making this tech very simalar to shield cancel grabing from Melee.You can also jump instead,which preforms a mindgame.Your opponent thinks you'll Spin Dash toward them,but in reality,you'll jump and Sonic can jump and he can even use aerials and specials to approach or attack.Well,this was a short section,but the next one will be LONG.Thanks for your support,as the next section is the last one.

Last edited:

SmashPro32

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4872-0139-5121
its not done yet.ill probably finish it by tommorow.Thanks for repling!

Acronyms.Probably one of the hardest parts to understand in this guide.But don't worry,cause if you read this part,understanding will be a cinch!:)
  • Forward aerial=Fair
  • Neutral aerial=Nair
  • Backward aerial=Bair
  • Upward aerial=uair(Even I don't understand this one,but that's how they say it,so I guess I might as well use it.)
  • Downward aerial=Dair
  • Hyphen Smash=HS
  • Dash Attack=DA
  • Homing Attack=HA
  • Aerial Spin Charge=ASC
  • Spin Dash=SD
  • Spin Charge=SC
  • Spin Dash Jump=SDJ
  • Vertical Spin Dash Jump=VSDJ
  • Spin Dash Roll=SDR
  • Spinshot=SS
  • Spring Jump=SJ
This reply is an acronym i want to add to ultimate for sonic acronyms.
Dashdance Cancels=DDC

Another for brawl that is useful for Target Smash Level 1 with sonic.
Spin Charge Jump Downward Aerial=SCJDair
Useful for the first three how i do it.

Top Bottom