• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

teching vs. edgehopping?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
That information is helpful. I could go in and purposely miss a grab and then ds tech rest>****. :D

(at low percentages)

Magus420

Smash Master
Ur dum.

He does it on a sloped stage. My question was for a non sloped stage. I'm pretty sure you can't since it's vertical knockback is really high, but I was just clarifying.
FD is sloped...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-iOIN32i4#t=1m13s

:p

Rest has a launch angle of 45 which is 'normal'. In general, angles that are 45 and lower (maybe 50 but I don't know of any moves with that launch angle) can be teched at significantly higher launch speeds with most characters than what you would be able to live with survival DI.

That information is helpful. I could go in and purposely miss a grab and then ds tech rest>****. :D

(at low percentages)
Not with Sheik. Rest has too much hitlag to DS tech effectively with her.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4854764#post4854764

Unless you're DK, G&W, Jiggs, Kirby, or Mewtwo you're not really going to be able to DS tech stuff that has 10+ frames of hitlag (hitbox does 21%+ of damage for normal attacks, or 12%+ damage for electrical attacks).

You technically can SDI downwards after frame 10 to get yourself close to the ground again after the adjustment and be able to tech it then, but that'd be really hard to pull off. Also, if your SDI downward would put you 'through' the floor, then it won't work right, since the game will 'correct' your position in response to the collision with the environment and space you from the floor anyway. I don't know about Sheik, but with Ganon a SDI straight down will cause a collision correction with the floor and not work, while a SDI diagonally down & left/right will get pretty close to the floor without interacting with it (and avoiding you getting moved back upwards again). I was able to DS tech a rest with Ganon this way by pressing L/R just before getting hit and then smashing the down&away on the control stick while holding c-stick down, instead of just holding both sticks in their positions like I normally do.

Adding to what I mentioned about techable launch angles, these are the approximate max launch speeds you're able to tech on a flat surface with correct DI. Full strength DI changes the launch angle by about 17.5° in either direction.

(0°=Away, 45°=Up&Away, 90°=Up, 180°=Towards, -45°=Down&Away, -90°=Down, etc)

Angle . Power .Best DI ........ Examples
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
90° .. 62 [DI: 0/180°] Peach U-Smash(Shoulder); CF/Ganon/Samus/etc D-Air(Ground)
85° .. 64 [DI: 0°] ... Fox U-Air(Kick2); Marth U-Tilt(Above,Behind)
83.75° 64 [DI: 0°] ... Falco Dwn-B
80° .. 66 [DI: 0°] ... Fox U-Smash(Strong); Ganon D-Tilt(Outside), F-Smash(Up); Peach U-Air
76° .. 69 [DI: 0°] ... Kirby D-Smash(Inside)
75° .. 70 [DI: -30°] . Falco D-Tilt; Marth D-Smash(Strong-Back); Peach U-Smash(Weak)
70° .. 75 [DI: -30°] . Ganon D-Tilt(Inside), F-Smash(Normal); Marth D-Smash(Strong-Front)
65° .. 81 [DI: -30°] . Link D-Air; CF(Nipple)/Falco/Marth(NTSC) D-Air(Ground)
60° .. 88 [DI: -40°] . Doc F-Air; Ganon F-Smash(Down)
55° .. 98 [DI: -40°] . Ganon N-Air(Kick1)
45° . 135 [DI: -45°] . (WAY too many to mention)
40° . 158 [DI: -45°] . Sheik D-Smash; Peach D-Smash[140°; DI: -135°]
32° . 246 [DI: -50°] . CF F-Air
30° . 285 [DI: -50°] . Marth D-Tilt; YL/Yoshi/Zelda D-Smash; Ganon/CF U-Air(Behind-Above)
29° . 304 [DI: -50°] . Peach F-Smash(Racket)
27.5° 339 [DI: -50°] . Doc B-Air(Strong); Kirby D-Smash(Outside)
25° . 479 [DI: -60°] . Sheik F-Air; Fox/Falco D-Smash
24.5° 564 [DI: -60°] . Bowser B-Air(Strong)
20°. 1535+[DI: -60°] . Kirby D-Tilt
. 9001+[DI: -90°] . Fox Dwn-B; Ganon(Behind-Below)/Pikachu(Overhead) U-Air; Jiggs D-Smash; Link Up-B(Weak)

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Where can I find a compendium of Magus' knowledge of Smash?

Does one exist? Like M2K's website?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm starting to wonder if Magus is even human. I've almost never seen him make a socially oriented post or anything that makes him seem like anything other than a massive smash database. To test my theory, I'm going to ask magus a social question. Magus, which career do you want to pursue? Now observe as his ears smoke and he begins to spew out a frenzy of frame data.

Seriously though, this thread is full of HIGHLY informative posts, I have learned a good deal.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
This thread should be added to the "Magus is amazing <3". There's a buttload of amazing info.

I love it when spammy threads get turned into extremely useful info lol.

Top Bottom