• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tech traps

RockLee666

Smash Rookie
does anyone know about any practical (or impractical) tech traps falco has? wanna start using more in my play

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
a common one is dair on grounded opponent at percents where they leave the ground. You ftilt them before they hit the ground. It's very likely they will miss this tech so shoot a laser and reset them.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
When up tilt combos into itself against spacies, you can create a 50 50 between up tilting and hard covering missed tech. That's more of a fox thing but it sometimes works as falco.

I'll see mango do shine short hop dair to cover missed tech or tech in place around 60 or so against fast fallers. I've never seen anyone tech that.

I think tech traps are one of the most under developed parts of Melee currently. There's so many if you become aware of them. I don't play falco so only have a few to offer for him. But I do know the fundamentals of finding tech traps which is the most important thing to learn in my opinion.

The first thing that's important to realize about tech traps is that teching is rarely a conscious thing when getting comboed- it's done automatically. The tech option chosen will commonly have some minor thought put into it but the input of teching is usually automatic and it can be tricky to stop yourself from inputting tech even if you are aware there is a potential tech trap.

Okay so that said here are when I look for tech traps:

1) The biggest is if an opponent is getting comboed and they get very close to the ground and you hit them right before they land, they'll often get tech trapped. The more you look out for this the more you'll get use to hard covering missed tech.

2) Most people will get locked out tech when trying to l cancel. If you anti air someone's aerial approach and hit them to the ground, they'll often get tech trapped.

3) When someone is getting tech chased and they want to shield on get up but you punish them before they can, they'll usually get tech trapped if you hit them downward.

Good luck!

RockLee666

Smash Rookie
When up tilt combos into itself against spacies, you can create a 50 50 between up tilting and hard covering missed tech. That's more of a fox thing but it sometimes works as falco.

I'll see mango do shine short hop dair to cover missed tech or tech in place around 60 or so against fast fallers. I've never seen anyone tech that.

I think tech traps are one of the most under developed parts of Melee currently. There's so many if you become aware of them. I don't play falco so only have a few to offer for him. But I do know the fundamentals of finding tech traps which is the most important thing to learn in my opinion.

The first thing that's important to realize about tech traps is that teching is rarely a conscious thing when getting comboed- it's done automatically. The tech option chosen will commonly have some minor thought put into it but the input of teching is usually automatic and it can be tricky to stop yourself from inputting tech even if you are aware there is a potential tech trap.

Okay so that said here are when I look for tech traps:

1) The biggest is if an opponent is getting comboed and they get very close to the ground and you hit them right before they land, they'll often get tech trapped. The more you look out for this the more you'll get use to hard covering missed tech.

2) Most people will get locked out tech when trying to l cancel. If you anti air someone's aerial approach and hit them to the ground, they'll often get tech trapped.

3) When someone is getting tech chased and they want to shield on get up but you punish them before they can, they'll usually get tech trapped if you hit them downward.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Top Bottom