• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech skills questions

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
So, I have some questions about some tech skills if I'm doing them wrong/how to do them

1. Wavedash out of Shield: At the moment I use the same shield button for everything (L). So when I WooS, I quickly release L and then immediately press L again, but recently, my friend told me that he uses L to shield, and R to wavedash. Am I doing it in an inferior way? I get it pretty consistantly with only L, but when I tried L+R I barely got it at all. Should I try to change, or can I continue with just L?

2. DI: Just to be safe, if I get hit by a horizontal knockback attack, I'm supposed to hold the stick completely vertical, right? Not leaning it towards the stage and holding it a bit vertical?

3. SDI: I'm not completely sure how to use this the best way, do I just mash the stick and c-stick in the same direction repeatedly?

4. L-cancel: At the moment, I press L completely down when I L-cancel. Should I only press it lightly? Or should I use Z?

5. Jump cancel grab: Whenever I grab, should I ALWAYS jump before? Even for dashgrabs and stand still grabs?

6. C-stick aerials: Is there any time I shouldn't use the C-stick for aerials? Whenever I know I'm about to do aerials, I move my index finger to Y and my thumb to the C-stick. Is there a better way to do this? And is there any time I actually should use A+stick for it?

7.Lastly, any other tips for improving?

Thanks in advance!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
1: Just one button for WD OOS is fine. It's easier to perform if you shield with one and WD with the other trigger (since depressing and repressing quickly and a specific timing is pretty annoying), but if you can do it, it's perfectly fine.
2: You want to DI perpendicular to the original trajectory of the move that you're hit by. So, if that one is perfectly horizontal, your correct DI choice is perfectly vertical indeed. Most moves hit up and away though.
3: Best way is probably to time the movement of the stick.
4: pressing down lightly does activate a l-cancel but does not activate your tech attempt window.
5: there is no point in jumping if you're standing still. JC-grab is used to get a standing grab even when you're dashing/running. Many characters have standing grabs they usually prefer to use over their dash grab.
6: Neutral airs. Joking aside, if you're fast enough to be able to perform a aerial on the first airborne frame with the c-stick there is no need to ever use 'a'.
7: Play the game. A lot.

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Thanks for you answer! Just three followup questions.

So to SDI I do repeatedly smash the stick AND c-stick in 1 direction?

About JC-grab, sometimes when I try to grab, I lightshield instead, is there a way around this?

And finally, how do you use the c-stick? Do you also use your index finger for the jump at that point, or am I doing it weird/wrong?

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Oh, and one more thing. So if I get attacked and fly diagonally upwards to the right, should I DI diagonally downwards to the right? Shouldn't that make me die faster since I'm holding towards the blastzone? Or is DI not affected in that way?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Thanks for you answer! Just three followup questions.

So to SDI I do repeatedly smash the stick AND c-stick in 1 direction?

About JC-grab, sometimes when I try to grab, I lightshield instead, is there a way around this?

And finally, how do you use the c-stick? Do you also use your index finger for the jump at that point, or am I doing it weird/wrong?
SDI happens when you smash your analog stick during hitlag, which causes your character to shift, it really depends on the move for which direction you want to do it.

That's either something with your Z-button, or you not pressing hard enough.

If you're fast enough, just thumb to jump and thumb to c-stick, it really becomes very easy, just practice.

You should DI towards the far edge of the stage.

Stage below for explanation. (Os are for formatting.)

If you get hit within those brackets, you should be DI ing towards the top right plus sign and vice versa depending on if you're left or right.

+--------------------+ ooo]
|ooooooooooo|ooo]
|ooooooooooo|ooo]
|ooooooooooo|
+--------------------+

Last edited:

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
I see, thanks! I'm still a bit confused though, sorry, but if should I ever DI diagonally towards the blast zone, or should I just do it horizontally or vertically? Shouldn't DIi g towards the blast zone make me reach it faster? :S

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
I see, thanks! I'm still a bit confused though, sorry, but if should I ever DI diagonally towards the blast zone, or should I just do it horizontally or vertically? Shouldn't DIi g towards the blast zone make me reach it faster? :S
If you are hit horizontally right or left, you should DI vertical. If you are hit to the upper right corner, you should DI to the upper left corner. Survival DI is performed by moving the control stick perpendicular to the direction you are hit, so if you think about it, the correct DI for the controlstick will always be 90° from the direction you're hit.

The best example of smash DI I can give is Fox's Uair. You have to expect certain moves off of certain setups, that's how you learn smash DI. When Fox throws you up, you can expect an up air to follow, this is when you hold the c-stick to the right or left (you usually want to do it toward the center of the stage) then time the control stick with the attack in the same direction as the c-stick. You don't need to use the c-stick either, just time the control stick properly, the c-stick just makes the DI work a little better. So with propper timing, the first hit of Fox's up air will hit, you will move slightly right or left depending, then you will be out of the way enough from the second hit that you should be able to survive it to greater percents.

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I think I got it now. But let's say I'm hit upwards like this "/", I won't quite make it to the top right corner, so I have to DI, should I then hold the stick down like this " \" or should I hold it down like this "l". The thing I'm confused about is if holding it down like " \" will make me reach the right blastzone faster since I'm holding towards the blastzone, or can I not affect the speed of the knockback, just the angle? Like, if I hold perfectly towards the center of the stage, will I slow down at all, or will I still go at the same speed?

What I guess I'm trying to say is: can the speed be affected by DI, or is it only the angle?

Last edited:

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
Don't hold it down like this " l ". If hit like this " / ", you should hold it up or down like this " \ ". Holding it down will curve you more towards the side, in which case you should be able to use your second jump and recover. It would depend on what you're more in danger of, KO'ing off the top or the side.

EDIT: Only the angle. Smash DI affects the speed.

EDIT 2: By changing the angle, your trajectory curves. This means even though you will fly the same distance, the path will be curved and can fit in a smaller area, thus allowing you to avoid the blast zone. So when this " / " trajectory kills you, DI that curves your trajectory like this " ノ " in either direction can save you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom