• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Inconsistency

PruneDanish

Smash Rookie
Hi!

I've been playing Melee for about 7 years and there are still some problems I'm having with basic tech skill. I can do most tech given enough tries, but the inconsistency of my tech given how long I've played and how much I practice is embarrassing. I'd say my wavedash consistency is maybe a little over 90-95% which seems good, but when you miss 1 in 10/20 wavedashes, it starts really adding up. I practice for about 1-2 hours every day on basic tech like this and still my consistency is terrible.

Another example I've been practicing recently is shine wavedash back on platform. My consistency with this tech in game is absolutely miserable despite my practice.

The worst part is that in practice, I seem to be unable to feel the difference between a successful attempt at any of these things and a failed attempt, so it's super hard for me to change what I'm doing. I'll do a missed wavedash, a frame perfect wavedash, and a frame 2 wavedash and it all feels the same to me.

Are there any practice tips anyone can give to be more in tune with the timing of these things? Does anyone else with similar practice time find it nearly impossible to do basic tech with any semblance of consistency?

Top Bottom