• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech chasing Falco

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
I have no real issues tech chasing Fox or Falcon. I can reactively do it without even looking at the tech roll animations easily.

However, Falco is a different story for me. His tech in place nearly always results in me getting shined and I can't tell when he's going to forward roll or backward roll, as confusing as that may sound.

Here's what I mean: when Falco hits the ground, even if I see the animation that tells me it's a forward tech roll, I don't know which way he's actually going to roll. The same goes for his backwards roll. How am I supposed to tell which way he's going to roll? Or am I just supposed to react to it?

I feel like maybe it'd be best to not try to tech chase him for too long because I always end up dropping it, but I just really want to get better at it because I know it'd really help in this matchup to be able to do it.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Tech in place

Tech roll in

Tech roll away

Don't get fooled by the first frame of successfull tech.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Do all you guys study the animations? As of now i just react to the tech motion (as in, the character rolling a certain way or getting up in place) rather than looking for animation cues and I'm a decent tech chaser. I've wondered if I should start looking at the animations but I worry it will mess me up in the short term.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
I actually just recently was told that the best way to grab tech away is by boost grabbing, so I've been implementing that more and it seems to be working better for me. Prior to this, I was simply JC grabbing all my tech chase grabs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
JC grab is 1 frame of jumpsquat + 7 frames of standing grab = 8 frames

Sheik's dash grab is 8 frames. Most other characters have bad dash grabs (eg, Marth hits on 10, Fox hits on 12) but sheik's is identical to JC grab in terms of startup.

Dash grab gets more horizontal distance, but standing grab is better vertically. Slight DI chaingrabs should be covered with JC grab, full DI away should be dash grab.

Also, standing grab is 10 frames quicker in recovery time if you wiff. Thats a big deal in neutral.

Boost grabbing is absolutely necessary to follow techs in certain situations. It lets your reaction windows be 1-3 frames more lenient, so away rolls become trivial to cover 99% of the time.

If you haven't read it, check out this article by Druggedfox and also read the others on his blog.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
Tech in place

Tech roll in

Tech roll away

Don't get fooled by the first frame of successfull tech.
I've never seen a reaction tech chase labelled out like this. This is extremely useful

Top Bottom