• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Chasing as Yoshi

deeseejay

Smash Cadet
How do people address tech chasing as Yoshi?

It seems like a lot of Yoshi's follow ups are relying on the other person missing their tech completely - those people are hitting their techs and having their timing down, how are people punishing these? What is your approach?

A lot of the time I'll try and jump in the air, stall with my double jump to try and bait something out and then catch them with a Fair. This has achieved moderate success but now people are teching away (I can't reach them) or simply delaying a get up attack until I come down to hit them.

I understand Yoshi has a number of options such as: Dash attack, running grab, cc get up attack etc.

I'm more interested in players approach to that knockdown, what are you watching out for? What punishes are you aiming for? Things like that.

All help is appreciated!

Last edited:

mistercupter

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterCupter
I usually do something similar or await a tech and then I dash attack. I've been wondering about this same issue and hopefully we'll get some answers in this thread!

Sashimi

Smash Ace
There's some info here but the gist of it is:

1. Wavedash to where they will land.
2. For missed tech, do jab, ftilt, utilt, dtilt, or dsmash.
3. For tech in place, do 2 jabs, ftilt, utilt, dtilt or dsmash.
4. For techrolls, do dashgrab, run cancel dsmash, run cancel ftilt or dash attack.

You can do all of this on reaction for any grounded tech option as long as you can get to their landing spot and be standing by the time you need to react.

For platforms, you have a few options that cover everything, such as Fair whichever half of the platform they will land on, then dsmash or ftilt the other half. You can also dsmash the half they will land on and the two hits will cover everything. You can also stand under the platform and do instant uair on reaction but you have to be pretty fast to cover tech in place and missed tech.

If you want to make a read instead of do something on reaction then anything goes really, as long as you're aware of the risk/reward and which options you're covering.

If you can't get there in time to jab reset the missed tech and want to cover their wakeup options, CC dashgrab or dash attack can beat the getup attack without having to read it, and this will let you hit the regular getup with something like a tilt or dsmash, and cover the rolls with dash grab. Covering the rolls might require something easier like dash attack for some characters.

Last edited:

DD151

Smash Journeyman
That only works because Rudolph was tech rolling. It's bad at covering tech in place and no tech. Whenever I've seen aMSa do that, I've never once seem him cover a tech in place before he gets shined.

Dj9000

Smash Rookie
If I'm close when they get knocked down, I'll try to wavedash in jab or bait a roll for a punish. If I'm too far when they're knocked down, I'll jump at them and wait to use my double jump as long as possible and hit them with an egg lay. I wait on the double jump to change which way I'm facing, in case they roll. After the egg lay, I try to hit with down air while they're in egg, or just set up a good position for some damage

Stax_Machine

Smash Rookie
I think when aMSa does the short hop to follow his down throw he is threatening tech in place/no tech with nair, if they miss he gets an edge guard, if they tech in place just do 2 djc nairs or stall your first nair with the double jump, the second one will cover tech in place as will the stall if you react to tech in place. Another option not really mentioned about tech roll away, if you can confirm that they got the timing down rather than following the read with a regrab/dash attack, a quick djc nair will cover the tech and if you're slow on the follow up they will be shielding in which you can carry your momentum and land behind someones shield with nair pressure and make them do something dumb. Following a tech chase with djc nair is handy because at high percents it can be hard to kill and nair will get you the stock or put the opponent off stage or into a missed tech depending on percent/stage control, also following with nair instead of dash atk is far safer because those things suck on shield.

Top Bottom