• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Chase Options

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm starting to get pretty good with Dedede. I've got solid tech skill and good reads, and I've been getting top three at local biweeklies. But there is one thing I am just really REALLY bad at, and I was hoping some of you could give me some pointers. I am really bad at landing tech chases. Most of the time after I d-throw and I can't get a regrab from the f-throw mixup I throw out an attack or grab and they just spot dodge and punish me. I've tried grabbing, down smash, jab and upsmash, but I just can't seem to make anything connect with any consistency.

My practice parter says it's because I'm trying to punish on reaction instead of prediction, but I'm still having trouble making the attacks connect. I'm sure I'm having more trouble timing the attacks than I am spacing them. Has anyone else ever struggled with this? What are your favorite tech chase options?

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
D-smash after D-throw > Wavedash toward is an easy hit that covers a tech behind or tech in-place for most characters. It covers even more options if you d-throw them and they land near the ledge, though I usually opt for a re-grab there unless a d-smash would kill.

Last edited:

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys! I've been trying that one Smur, but I can't seem to get it to work! The opponent always seems to just spot dodge before the attack connects. Am I just to slow, or do you think it could be something else? Oh, and would that cover a missed tech too?

Also, if anybody knows a good tech chase for a roll away, that would be awesome. I'm at a loss for that one.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
The opponent shouldn't be able to spot dodge, so my guess is that you're doing it too slow. It CAN cover a missed tech if they don't see it coming and just decide not to move for some reason.

As for rolling away, if you wave-dash right after the d-throw, you might be able to run up and re-grab. I have this little thing I do sometimes if I expect a roll-away and I have a good bit of stage length ahead of me. I run up a bit, jump, throw a waddle downwards, and depending on the situation, I waddle dash away, nowhere, or straight at them. This puts me in a handful of situations that I can do something out of. It's a bit hard to explain (and it doesn't help that I haven't really played in a while). Most of the things I do just feels subconscious, I suck at explaining :p

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I generally dthrow > wavedash toward, and look for the following.

DI in > Regrab, down-b
DI away > Prepare for tech chase

No Tech > Dtilt, Dsmash
Tech in place > Dtilt, Regrab, Dsmash
Tech away > dash regrab
Tech behind > Dsmash

I can't really react prefectly, but generally I can cover 2-3 options on the tech chase with one of these options.

Last edited:

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
I'm so used to people knowing how I play that I forget DI in is a thing that people do (they all DI down and away). But yeah, it allows for a re-grab or sometimes a Fair depending on floatiness.

Also, if you're about to D-throw next to the ledge and they DI down-away, you can still follow up by fast falling offstage until you see they're about to jump. As they do, throw out a fair.

I swear, I know so much about this character. I just lack the motivation to get it all down on paper. I like playing and talking much better, but nobody around me uses DDD ; ;.

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
Arrrrggghhh! I just practiced for a few hours and didn't really see any improvement guys. A few questions:

1. How the heck can I fast fall offstage to fair without killing myself?
2. Do you have to be frame perfect to land some of this stuff?
3. Couldn't get F-tilt on tech away with any consistency at all. Tips?

Also, if anybody has tips on edge guarding a really low recovery that would also be super welcome.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Arrrrggghhh! I just practiced for a few hours and didn't really see any improvement guys. A few questions:

1. How the heck can I fast fall offstage to fair without killing myself?
2. Do you have to be frame perfect to land some of this stuff?
3. Couldn't get F-tilt on tech away with any consistency at all. Tips?

Also, if anybody has tips on edge guarding a really low recovery that would also be super welcome.
Raw fast-falling -> Fair offstage definitely kills you on most stages. What I said was when an opponent DIs down-away from your D-throw, you can initially fast-fall offstage with them, jump and then Fair. It works best with fast / semi-fast fallers.

Scratch the f-tilt after d-throw for the tech away option. My memory was foggy. :x

I don't think you have to be frame perfect

sneakytako

Smash Lord
You can ff fair on most stages off the ledge, but not stages like yoshis, ps2, warioland, etc with high bottom blast zone. Stages like GHZ, Dreamland, Delphino's secret, etc are able to ff fair without jumping.

Last edited:

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
You can ff fair on most stages off the ledge, but not stages like yoshis, ps2, warioland, etc with high bottom blast zone. Stages like GHZ, Dreamland, Delphino's secret, etc are able to ff fair without jumping.
Also this is real situational, but if you take Battlefield for example, you can get away with a Fastfall Fair off either of the side platforms (I usually do it off of a waveland). The thing is, you have to input the Fair first and THEN fastfall. I've gotten a couple kills like this

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
I like this thread! Lots of awesome tips here.

I've got another question if you guys have time. Does Wavedash>Dsmash actually cover tech in place and tech backwards? I worked on that for the longest and could't really get it to work. My practice partner was using Mario if that makes a difference. Do I just need to be super fast, or maybe slow down? It just doesn't seem to be consistent, which is the main reason to try to get it to work at all, haha.

Thanks guys!

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
I like this thread! Lots of awesome tips here.

I've got another question if you guys have time. Does Wavedash>Dsmash actually cover tech in place and tech backwards? I worked on that for the longest and could't really get it to work. My practice partner was using Mario if that makes a difference. Do I just need to be super fast, or maybe slow down? It just doesn't seem to be consistent, which is the main reason to try to get it to work at all, haha.

Thanks guys!
Here's a video for the timing
It doesn't work on luigi (unless he techs in place near the ledge), I probably just did it out of habit. I just tested it and it does work on Mario though

sneakytako

Smash Lord
just curious how do you do against chipgroove smur?

and what do you think of the rob mu?

After 3.6b normalized tech rolls I have no idea what works anymore, but characters that have crappy (either short or slow techrolls) can have both tech in place and tech roll behind covered by dsmsash.

I think you might be missing the wavedash after the dthrow, you probably need to do it earlier.

Last edited:

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
The last time I played against Chip was in 3.5, a while ago. I did well against him, but it was friendlies.

I want to say DDD is at an advantage vs Rob. I've played two really good ROBs on netplay (TwoHandTouch and DrinkingFood) in 3.5. I downloaded THT, but DrinkingFood was really tough. It's hard to say. @ sneakytako sneakytako

Mudokon117

Smash Cadet
Nice video Smur, I've studied a lot of it now. I'd watch the whole thing but the the commentary is really annoying, haha. I've practiced just a bit more and I'm sort of getting the hang of it.

Tako, thanks for reminding me that tech rolls were changed as of 3.6. That explains part of why I've been having so much more trouble with this lately. If I can convince my friend to test it with me for a few hours this weekend I'll try to make a list of what characters you can cover tech towards and tech in place with downsmash. You don't happen to know the first frame you cancel dthrow, do you?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Nice video Smur, I've studied a lot of it now. I'd watch the whole thing but the the commentary is really annoying, haha. I've practiced just a bit more and I'm sort of getting the hang of it.

Tako, thanks for reminding me that tech rolls were changed as of 3.6. That explains part of why I've been having so much more trouble with this lately. If I can convince my friend to test it with me for a few hours this weekend I'll try to make a list of what characters you can cover tech towards and tech in place with downsmash. You don't happen to know the first frame you cancel dthrow, do you?
I think it was frame 47 iirc.

Top Bottom