• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tears of the Kingdom is Now the Fastest Selling Zelda Game

10_Million_Copies.jpg

Anticipation for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was sky high. Even at The Game Awards it was highlighted as the most anticipated game on the horizon last year. But even that hype would be seen as tame compared to the runaway success Tears of the Kingdom has experienced.

Tears of the Kingdom has sold 10 million units in its first three days, matching Nintendo’s previous peak launch of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet last holiday season. This is the strongest launch of a Zelda title and the fastest selling Zelda game. It’s already the second best selling Zelda game, only behind Breath of the Wild. For reference Twilight Princess used to be second place and it sold

Tears of the Kingdom has also been a critical darling as well; it currently sits at a 96 on Metacritic. To many, it managed to perfectly recapture the magic of its predecessor and expand upon it, taking the formula to even greater heights.

Tears of the Kingdom is just the latest in a strong year of Nintendo success stories. The Super Mario Bros Movie made over 1.2 billion dollars at the box office so far, making it the highest grossing video game movie of all time. Scarlet and Violet managed to have the largest launch for the company ever, beating out the previous best achieved mere months earlier by Splatoon 3. Kirby and the Forgotten Land managed to become the best selling Kirby game last year. Nintendo has been on a tear with the Switch, hopefully they carry that momentum onto their next system.

Author’s Note: I hope you all are enjoying Tears of the Kingdom as much as I am!

Credits:
Writing: TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
Editing: @Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp

TCT~Phantom

Comments

Damn, between this and the other successes you mentioned, I think Nintendo’s future projects are going to be well-funded for years to come.

Last edited:
Wow. In less than a business week, Tears of the Kingdom is already in the Top 20 best-selling Switch games ever.

Enlighten me here. Does Nintendo making risky games stem from a failed console, or a successful console? Because from the looks of their past year, they should consider veering outside their comfort zone for the next console. Goodness knows they can afford it.

Wow. In less than a business week, Tears of the Kingdom is already in the Top 20 best-selling Switch games ever.

Enlighten me here. Does Nintendo making risky games stem from a failed console, or a successful console? Because from the looks of their past year, they should consider veering outside their comfort zone for the next console. Goodness knows they can afford it.
To my knowledge, the closest thing they had to bring “safe” was during the Wii U era.

A week has passed since release, and the retail copies are still sold out at my area. And to add to the insults, even if you were to order that game online (via Amazon), there's no guarantee that you'll get a copy within a week.

That's pretty much where I am right now; a full week since I ordered my retail copy, and it has not arrived yet.

A week has passed since release, and the retail copies are still sold out at my area. And to add to the insults, even if you were to order that game online (via Amazon), there's no guarantee that you'll get a copy within a week.

That's pretty much where I am right now; a full week since I ordered my retail copy, and it has not arrived yet.
I figured something like that would have happened with TOTK. The game's been a highly-anticipated game since BOTW first got its rave reviews.

I was on the fence with the game and even had my own concerns. I approached the game upon playing it with cautious optimism. I have played mostly every zelda game since the first one and have remained a dedicated fan for decades. TotK literally smashed any fears about the game. It was a tour de force of gaming ingenuity that deserves every accolade that gets thrown its way.

That's really surprising to hear. Without any pre-order, I was able to get the game day one by just walking into my local GameStop and buying it off the shelf. According to the guy at the counter, they still had 60 copies in the back by the mid-afternoon when I arrived, and I even asked about other nearby locations which apparently had over 100 copies still in stock. My assumption was that Nintendo knew this game would smash and so sent out copious amounts of copies to all retailers, but apparently not? Weird.

That's really surprising to hear. Without any pre-order, I was able to get the game day one by just walking into my local GameStop and buying it off the shelf. According to the guy at the counter, they still had 60 copies in the back by the mid-afternoon when I arrived, and I even asked about other nearby locations which apparently had over 100 copies still in stock. My assumption was that Nintendo knew this game would smash and so sent out copious amounts of copies to all retailers, but apparently not? Weird.
I mean, you aren't wrong in making that assumption. It's the sequel to the biggest paradigm shift for the Zelda franchise since Ocarina of Time, and it was first announced FOUR years ago. If anything, cases like Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy 's were just because the store he went to was probably one of the unlucky ones that just got the table scraps with no leftover copies for the street date.

It's not that he got slim pickings. It's that the store he went to got a smaller-than-anticipated shipment with an apology note from Nintendo.

At least, that's the hypothesis I'm sticking with.

Well, I've finally got my own copy yesterday. But as things stand, there's so much to do, and the objectives can potentially leave people feeling baffled on how to overcome them.

I got it on launch i did ask for them to reserve a copy for me just in case!
Ive been playing ever since its really good it does tons of new stuff, stuff from BOTW but it also brings back/ Fixes a lot of BOTWs Shortcomings so maybe unlike BOTW this might be my favourite Zelda Game
There is 1 Big Issue Tho... WHO DECIDED TO MAKE ALL CLASSIC OUTFITS GRINDFESTS AGAIN Ahem
Like really nintendo you would make me happy if all Amiibo Outfits would be much easier to upgrade arround the Level of the hylia Tunic Please fix that via a Update you would sell so much more amiibos this way!

Last edited:
Top Bottom