• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teamates who think they are helping but are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyden

Smash Rookie
I play team battle and often run into the problem of useless teamates be it on my team or the other team. Today I had one such case where I felt bad for the enemy Roy because the Ness on his team would just sit back and unsuccessfully try to hit us with only special moves. The Roy of course dies first because he was trying to fight with no help. I just don't understand how you can get on team battle and not learn your character to be useful to your teamate. On the other hand me and my teamate did pretty well while we ran a few rounds after the Ness game though I left even though we won it just didn't feel fair.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
You have to realize that Smash online is played by all ages. That means you can be going up against a kid, teen, or an adult. And it doesn't help that they took away for fun and glory so now everyone is thrown into the same pot. You get kids trying to have fun and people just learning smash for the first time with elitists all mashed together. And the end result is usually no one ends up having fun.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Welcome to the world of online gaming, where players of all skill levels can get together and play. At polarizing levels of seriousness, at the expense of whomever happens to cross paths with them that day.

If you've ever tried to play a FPS fairly seriously at any point in your life, you'd have run into the same thing, except much worse. There's no real surprise here. Games are primarily for fun, after all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Welcome to the world of online gaming, where players of all skill levels can get together and play. At polarizing levels of seriousness, at the expense of whomever happens to cross paths with them that day.

If you've ever tried to play a FPS fairly seriously at any point in your life, you'd have run into the same thing, except much worse. There's no real surprise here. Games are primarily for fun, after all.
Like when I tried Fortnite a month ago and spent the whole match having no idea wtf was happening hahaha

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
Nothing out of the ordinary imo, this IS a party game at the end of the day, not everyone is trying to emulate pro players

D

Deleted member

Maybe these replies are right, but it wouldn't even be an issue if GSP didn't exist. We don't need our self-worth crushed just because inexperienced (Not the word I'd go with) players were paired with us. At least learn "Share Stock" before you go online,

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Maybe these replies are right, but it wouldn't even be an issue if GSP didn't exist. We don't need our self-worth crushed just because inexperienced (Not the word I'd go with) players were paired with us. At least learn "Share Stock" before you go online,
I think a good place to start would be to stop basing any shred of self-worth on your GSP rank.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i am not 1 who attempt to become a real pro player who goes to tournaments..do i want to improve with certain characters? yeah of course but i had matches sometimes where i get matched with tryhards (no offense to anyone) & real competive people that i think.. ''daaamn slow down! it's just a game!''

and in certain matches (when i play Bayo) i just mess around for the lulz cause i suck with her anyway..so then i am just gonna make it fun xD
maybe that Ness was playing for the lulz as well?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You say that like it's easy. It's not.
It’s a game. It’s supposed to be for fun and recreation. If it’s hurting your self esteem, you’re not doing it right.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Well you might be fighting little kids who are **** at Smash Bros.

But Nintendo's online is **** as a whole so what do you expect?

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
Agreed, ultimate needs a "for fun" matchmaking like smash4 did

D

Deleted member

Well you might be fighting little kids who are **** at Smash Bros.

But Nintendo's online is **** as a whole so what do you expect?
What do you mean this isn't a problem exclusive to Smash? I don't see anything wrong when playing Spla2n.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
What do you mean this isn't a problem exclusive to Smash? I don't see anything wrong when playing Spla2n.
like 49/50 of that guy's most recent posts are trashing online. It's better just to ignore them as he really doesn't add anything productive to the discussion

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Anyone who is very young generally lacks strategy. I bet if you asked us what were our past selves like, we would've said things like relying on items to win, using the worst characters because we like that character (I was like this with Pichu in Melee), and just overall we would be demolished if you played your cards right. I know for sure if my 6-12 year old self traveled to the present time and teamed up with you in Ultimate, you would find him to be a horrible teammate.

This especially applies to Pokemon. Our past selves were probably the type who used only one Pokemon, only taught moves that were the same type as that Pokemon and/or used several Pokemon of the same type. My ingame Diamond team had four Water types (Empoleon, Lumineon, Golduck and Seaking), a fifth also weak to Electric (Honchkrow) and a sixth who I put on my team because I had trouble with Mars' Purugly (Machamp).

I guess from your experience with Splatoon, you were either mostly paired with little kids who know how to play, you were paired with fellow adults, having clueless kids on your team didn't impact your performance too much or both sides had kids who were ****.

like 49/50 of that guy's most recent posts are trashing online. It's better just to ignore them as he really doesn't add anything productive to the discussion
Well maybe Nintendo should stop making stupid decisions.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the day, it is still a game. And you will get all sorts of people playing it for fun in their own way. If it really bothers you that some kid or person isn't good enough, go to another teammate battle. Or gather some people you know will be as competitive as you are.

I will be honest, I find the friendly matches way more fun then competitive. The majority I've ran into online just seem way too riled that they can't possibly be having any fun.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I agree wholeheartedly.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I can't really complain because quite a bit of my posts recently have just been trashing online to.

Louise

Smash Cadet
I only play Battle Arena this game is supposed to be fun and Battle Arena is where I have fun

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
You say that like it's easy. It's not.
...it's pretty easy. GSP means nothing. I'm not even going to lie here, I've been playing King Dedede for a month now, and I'll say I've gotten pretty good with him. I can easily destroy my friends with him, where I haven't had much luck with other characters. Then I took him online, and got in a major 12 game losing streak. Got knocked down to freaking 75k GSP. Do I care? Hell no, because the characters that I hate, such as Mario and Cpt. Falcon, are both in the 3 millions. A n d I d o n t e v e n m a i n t h e m. I played my friend's Jigglypuff as Mario and got completely annihilated, where I could easily beat any of his mains with DDD. And yes, my friends aren't total pushovers either, they have their fair share of GSP themselves. Do they care about GSP? NO Kind of, but not a whole lot.

D

Deleted member

...it's pretty easy. GSP means nothing. I'm not even going to lie here, I've been playing King Dedede for a month now, and I'll say I've gotten pretty good with him. I can easily destroy my friends with him, where I haven't had much luck with other characters. Then I took him online, and got in a major 12 game losing streak. Got knocked down to freaking 75k GSP. Do I care? Hell no, because the characters that I hate, such as Mario and Cpt. Falcon, are both in the 3 millions. A n d I d o n t e v e n m a i n t h e m. I played my friend's Jigglypuff as Mario and got completely annihilated, where I could easily beat any of his mains with DDD. And yes, my friends aren't total pushovers either, they have their fair share of GSP themselves. Do they care about GSP? NO Kind of, but not a whole lot.
This doesn't help me. You gave literally no solution. You just said it was easy. Maybe for you, but not for everyone.

The number exists for a reason. The lower it gets, the more it means you can't play the character/game for ****. Especially if you have depression and the like. The game is not fun if you're losing. Learning is impossible because 1) It's Smash, a game that relies on reads, which are difficult to pull off for a "fundamental", and 2) I'd rather not watch my replays to see myself get bodied.

This game's decision to combine For Fun and For Glory and, more importantly, add Elite Smash, which requires about 4M+ GSP, which defines your skill (and your worthiness of Elite), breeds negativity which I don't want. It's the same way with competitive games in general, especially those with a ranking system.

You can't just change a mentality just like that. I hate when people act this way. Why doesn't anyone understand this or how emotions work?

Last edited by a moderator:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
The lower it gets, the more it means you can't play the character/game for ****.
Reiterating my Dedede story because you didn't seem to comprehend it.

I've been playing a lot of King Dedede this month, perfecting the craft until I can consistently beat my siblings and friends fairly easily. Like I said before, they aren't bad players and have their fair share of 4-5 mil GSP top char. Anyway, after beating their highest rank character with my DDD a couple times, I decided to take King Dedede online and try it out. Losing streak, dropped down to 75k GSP. Who cares, they are still my best character in terms of skill. I know a bunch of true combos and can make some pretty nice moves in training.

Enter Mario. After my losing with King Dedede, I figured "Ah well, let's just play a different character online who I don't care about and see how things work out." Mario, a wonky character that I have never played in Ultimate and neither do I plan to. I end up winning four straight games and boosted up to 3 million GSP with one of my least favorite characters. Am I suddenly better with Mario than I am with Dedede? Hell no, because your skill with different characters is subjective to you. GSP is subjective, and can be given in vastly different ways to people with vastly different preferred rules. It's tougher if you go only 1v1 FD no items on quickplay and get destroyed.

This doesn't help me. You gave literally no solution. You just said it was easy. Maybe for you, but not for everyone.
Do you want a solution? My point is stop complaining. You're literally whining over a subjective number that the majority of the community agrees is calculated in a terrible way. Stop whining because you're better than 800,000 players, you're setting too high of a bar. If you strive for 2 million with every character, then you'll end up being depressed because you can never achieve your unrealistic goal. You aren't as good as you think you are. Set actual, realistic goals that you can consistently achieve for your skill level. Don't watch yourself, watch pro players on YouTube/Twitch, or just generally good players who main the same character as you, and try to pick up some tips.

You can't just change a mentality just like that. I hate when people act this way. Why doesn't anyone understand this or how emotions work?
If you let a single number determine your self worth, then I'd recommend you just stop playing Ultimate and find a better hobby that won't consistently depress you. Depression is not a healthy thing, and if all games with a ranking system send you into a downhill spiral of lowliness, then I'm sorry for you. You aren't the best, and neither will you be the best if you don't keep working at it. It takes time to improve, and you don't immediately get the results you want off the bat. You strike me as the type of player who will stop playing a character after going on a large win streak with them and losing one battle.

D

Deleted member

If you let a single number determine your self worth, then I'd recommend you just stop playing Ultimate and find a better hobby that won't consistently depress you. Depression is not a healthy thing, and if all games with a ranking system send you into a downhill spiral of lowliness, then I'm sorry for you. You aren't the best, and neither will you be the best if you don't keep working at it. It takes time to improve, and you don't immediately get the results you want off the bat. You strike me as the type of player who will stop playing a character after going on a large win streak with them and losing one battle.
It's not just GSP. Battle Arenas get infuriating because there's always that one guy who goes on such a long win streak that you contemplate kicking them for fairness. As said, this doesn't inspire me.

It actually takes a long losing streak for me to drop a character. After getting one after being kicked out of Elite twice, I vowed never to touch King K. Rool ever again, dubbing him low tier trash.

The way I play is this: Winning is satisfying; losing is unacceptable for my well being. If a certain character bodies me, I pick up that character, with mixed results. Yoshi and King Dedede have served fairly well, yet I can't get Pichu or Jigglypuff to work for me despite how easy people make them seem. I don't wanna pull out Donkey Kong again out of fear that I might suck with him despite a try-hard DK killing my mains.

I hate having to pick different characters and get bodied by others. Learning MUs and other stuff actively will get tedious. That's why I'm waiting for an official tier list.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It's not just GSP. Battle Arenas get infuriating because there's always that one guy who goes on such a long win streak that you contemplate kicking them for fairness. As said, this doesn't inspire me.
I know from experience that it is very fun to be that one guy though. All the noobs waiting in line to get souped by me — I love that! I remember when I joined a room of some guy who was streaming the battles and I kept souping the noobs until I left the ring because I had to go to bed soon. Truly it was the glory that I deserve.

The way I play is this: Winning is satisfying; losing is unacceptable for my well being. If a certain character bodies me, I pick up that character, with mixed results. Yoshi and King Dedede have served fairly well, yet I can't get Pichu or Jigglypuff to work for me despite how easy people make them seem. I don't wanna pull out Donkey Kong again out of fear that I might suck with him despite a try-hard DK killing my mains.
If only most people were like this then I would leave a trail of R.O.B. mains behind me. How glorious would Elite Smash become once all the inferior characters have been purged out!

I hate having to pick different characters and get bodied by others. Learning MUs and other stuff actively will get tedious. That's why I'm waiting for an official tier list.
Your wish will be granted. This is your new tier list:
Top Tier: :ultrob:
Bottom Tier: Everyone else

This list reflects the expert opinion that I have formed while dominating my opposition in Elite Smash. It is a masterpiece of both theory and practice and a culmination of more formidable research than that which went into the forming of Euler's Formula and Euclid's geometry from the Elements combined. May it serve you well, my friend.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Actually I can't follow that with anything.

Ggs

(what is the topic? Oh right...)

I drop out if my team mate is too low a skill level, especially when the 2 opponents are both good. But a lot of times my team mate is aite to better than me so yay for luck of the draw

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

It actually takes a long losing streak for me to drop a character. After getting one after being kicked out of Elite twice, I vowed never to touch King K. Rool ever again, dubbing him low tier trash.

i think for now it's better for you to play FFA matches/ team matches, you can still lose but there is a smaller chance you get a very competitive person as opponent cause not all of us want to fight against players like that all the time, i know i personally don't want to so if i had it with 1v1 for a bit i just don't play it and i notice i am enjoying the game much more!
of course i will try 1v1 after awhile again but if it still is the same way, then i will just not play it for awhile again.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

This is a really bad mentality to have, and I honestly wish you the best of luck with it. I've had depression for a long time now, so I understand where you're coming from here, but it will be more beneficial for you to try and work through it than to keep dropping semi-developed characters until a tier list is released.

I've tried to pick up characters solely based on an "official" tier list before, and I've failed rather gloriously. I sucked so bad with Sheik and Diddy in S4, they just didn't click with me. So I stuck with my mid/low-tier character and worked on those matchups instead. I ended up with a lot more success. Because even with high or top tier characters, you can still get caught off-guard by a lower tier user who knows the high tier matchups really well. Happens to me a lot now, I'll go up against the random G&Ws, WFTs, Sheiks, etc. who have played against a lot of Wolf, but I've only seen a handful of those characters. Not enough to know the matchup beyond sort of knowing what their moves do.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I just pick R.O.B. every game and it works for me. I get quickly decent at every new Smash game because my skills from the previous games transition. All that I have to do is learn the changes they made to R.O.B.. The only downside is that now I cannot main an inferior character even if I tried it. So I am stuck with the best character in every new Smash.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I just pick R.O.B. every game and it works for me. I get quickly decent at every new Smash game because my skills from the previous games transition. All that I have to do is learn the changes they made to R.O.B.. The only downside is that now I cannot main an inferior character even if I tried it. So I am stuck with the best character in every new Smash.
So sorry for your plight. Sending thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom