• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team, Unite Up! Wonder Red for Smash Switch

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
While I'm really happy that the Wonderful 101 is getting a new chance at life, I feel like I should just ask it... what does this mean for Wonder Red's chances in Smash...?
I'd say still not great, but I feel like we have a shot worth talking about now.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you still need a legacy of more than one game (just ask Akira Howard, Shovel Knight and Cuphead). But hey, at least the game will reach a wider audience now.
That's my main thing, like K.Rool and many other character campaigns, Smash was more a side dish for me as opposed to getting the character/games back on the public's radar. Here's hoping the success of the kickstarters and (hopefully) the success of the releases motivates platinumgames and Ninty to give W101 more love,

Edit as top not double: Made my contribution, UNITE UP!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That reminds me; I should play the Wonderful 101 at some point. I have it on the Wii U, and from what I remember, I just unlocked Wonder Yellow, but I had a tough time getting into it. (not sure if it was the camera, the drawing mechanic, or when to use dodging and blocking) I might start from the beginning so that way I can ease myself back into it. (and get all of the permanent Wonderful 101 members as I go along)

As for the Kickstarter, I'm tempted to back it, though I'd have to see what the donation incentives are. (I know that one of them is getting blocked by Kamiya on Twitter, but I already got that for responding to one of his tweets in English)

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me; I should play the Wonderful 101 at some point. I have it on the Wii U, and from what I remember, I just unlocked Wonder Yellow, but I had a tough time getting into it. (not sure if it was the camera, the drawing mechanic, or when to use dodging and blocking) I might start from the beginning so that way I can ease myself back into it. (and get all of the permanent Wonderful 101 members as I go along)

As for the Kickstarter, I'm tempted to back it, though I'd have to see what the donation incentives are. (I know that one of them is getting blocked by Kamiya on Twitter, but I already got that for responding to one of his tweets in English)
I'd recommend just restarting due to the game being a little vague on purchased moves. Still buy both Dodge and block as soon as possible though.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Glad to see the Wonderful 101 getting ported. I want to play this game on the Switch so bad, it's been driving me up the wall since I bought one. That said, I decided to contribute to the Kickstarter. Can't wait for this game to come out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, for the added bells and whistles, the 1.5 million stretch goal is for a new campaign with 2D gameplay. Wonder if that'll have other nods to VJ...

I never actually thought that would be a reward, yet there it is. :laugh:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am a bit worried this might get other companies to get away from Nintendo, but that is probably just me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's already less than 200K away from the 1 million goal. Will it be reached by midnight?

Don't ask Shulk though, 'cause he'll have something very different to say about that.
Monolith Soft is more or less considered a second party to Nintendo these days, so I think it only applies to any IP that's not first or second-party (although the New 3DS port for XB may not have hurt).

Not that it really matters much since some people already think Wonder Red's toast because of his spirit...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's already less than 200K away from the 1 million goal. Will it be reached by midnight?

Monolith Soft is more or less considered a second party to Nintendo these days, so I think it only applies to any IP that's not first or second-party (although the New 3DS port for XB may not have hurt).

Not that it really matters much since some people already think Wonder Red's toast because of his spirit...
But... Didn't you mention Akira Howard? Astral Chain's also first party.

Nevermind this is way off-topic.

Staarih

Smash Master
Only like 3k until the Kickstarter hits 1million, will probably hit it as I type this post. Crazy, and there were people saying nobody would care for a port.

The ownership of the IP really is a mystery, from what I gather Nintendo does still own it, they just let Platinum go multiplat as long as they somehow fund it themselves? Maybe they were truly clueless as to where to take the IP, in a way this is a win-win situation for both (Platinum gets TW101 back on the radar, and Nintendo still gets a cut from the ports). If this ends up being a success, I can see Nintendo hopping back to claim exclusivity for a hypothetical sequel, which in turn would bode well for any chance of Wonder-Red in Smash.

Seeing as the planned release is April, Platinum have probably been sitting on a Switch port for all this time, just didn't find a way to publish it until now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think they forgot to update the stretch goals, the funding already went over a million.

On a side note, now the mystery of the "4" website is solved, it's like what was said for the Capcom Five (which Viewtiful Joe was a part of, incidentally) There are three other Platinum games left to reveal.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...game_from_platinum4_what_do_you_think_is_next

Only like 3k until the Kickstarter hits 1million, will probably hit it as I type this post. Crazy, and there were people saying nobody would care for a port.

The ownership of the IP really is a mystery, from what I gather Nintendo does still own it, they just let Platinum go multiplat as long as they somehow fund it themselves? Maybe they were truly clueless as to where to take the IP, in a way this is a win-win situation for both (Platinum gets TW101 back on the radar, and Nintendo still gets a cut from the ports). If this ends up being a success, I can see Nintendo hopping back to claim exclusivity for a hypothetical sequel, which in turn would bode well for any chance of Wonder-Red in Smash.

Seeing as the planned release is April, Platinum have probably been sitting on a Switch port for all this time, just didn't find a way to publish it until now.
That would explain why W101 getting rereleased was frequently teased for months.

But yeah, the naysayers are putting their money where their mouth is now. This is the same fanbase that, for a brief moment, actually got to unite /v/.

But... Didn't you mention Akira Howard? Astral Chain's also first party.

Nevermind this is way off-topic.
AC's made by Platinum too, and that only got a spirit event. If W101 was made by any developer near Nintendo's house, it wouldn't be going anywhere.

Heck, just look at Marvelous' Daemon X Machina, it's already getting a port for Steam.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
AC's made by Platinum too, and that only got a spirit event. If W101 was made by any developer near Nintendo's house, it wouldn't be going anywhere.

Heck, just look at Daemon X Machina, it's already getting a port for Steam.
well AC and the W101 are both co owned by nintendo and DXM is fully third party, so im not sure the comparison works

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Never mind, regardless of anything, the point is that Platinum isn't getting any new playable characters this time, regardless whether a standalone Nintendo-related game of theirs performed well in sales or not. We have to face that fact. At least W101 won't be trapped on a single console. Unlike a certain warrior with the arm of God...

In the meantime, it's nice to see the staff so happy at this achievement.

Interestingly enough, Nintendo doesn't own the copyright to Bayonetta 3 (only 2):

It's easier for Bayonetta 3 to go multiplat once Nintendo's publishing/exclusivity contract expires.
And with this, Bayo's ownership situation continues to be confusing. She's basically 1/3rds Nintendo and 2/3rds Sega now?

Pretty convenient though. As an aside, we should be getting that Bayo1/Vanquish PS4/Xbone dual-pack later this month.

Edit: New stretch goal: there could be a remixed soundtrack, with a special guest composer involved.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I hope that all this support with the Remaster leads to Nintendo developing a sequel, which will lead to Wonder Red having a better chance for Smash in the future.

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
Wasn't there a glitch happening with Bayonetta recently found after the patch? Can someone dig that post up for me by chance plz. This reminds me of the mii sword fighter and duck hunt glitch before hero and banjo were announced.

Bayonetta actually reminds me of wonder red With her giant fist smash attack and slowing time and could be very good for us if this bayo glitch is the same case as before.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

Yes, it has happened before. Mario Teaches Typing is a game that wasn't developed nor published by Nintendo nor even released on a Nintendo owned platform but Nintendo still owns the Mario IP.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
It sucks how much this Kickstarter is getting me hype for Wonder Red in Smash, as I know that the Fighters Pass was almost certainly settled months ago, long before the start of this campaign. But holy **** man, I did not realize how much I wanted this until now. I had W101 on the Wii U, played it for a while, loved it, got really busy, forgot about it, and never finished it. And now it's been like three years since I've even played my Wii U. Now I'll be able to start the game fresh on the Switch! Already signed up for my Kickstarter rewards!

If nothing else, it would be awesome to see Wonder Red as a Mii Brawler costume. Maybe even Wonder Blue and Green as a Swordfighter and Gunner, respectively. Even if the Fighters Pass is settled, I imagine that there is still room for Mii costumes.

Whatever happens, it is awesome to see all the support that this game is getting. It really does blow my mind. It looks like it's gonna do really well, and it feels like this series really does have a future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It sucks how much this Kickstarter is getting me hype for Wonder Red in Smash, as I know that the Fighters Pass was almost certainly settled months ago, long before the start of this campaign. But holy **** man, I did not realize how much I wanted this until now. I had W101 on the Wii U, played it for a while, loved it, got really busy, forgot about it, and never finished it. And now it's been like three years since I've even played my Wii U. Now I'll be able to start the game fresh on the Switch! Already signed up for my Kickstarter rewards!

If nothing else, it would be awesome to see Wonder Red as a Mii Brawler costume. Maybe even Wonder Blue and Green as a Swordfighter and Gunner, respectively. Even if the Fighters Pass is settled, I imagine that there is still room for Mii costumes.

Whatever happens, it is awesome to see all the support that this game is getting. It really does blow my mind. It looks like it's gonna do really well, and it feels like this series really does have a future.
At the very least it would be cool to see this get a spirit event so that some of the rest of the main team can be completed.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Devil's Advocate, they did say they had shopped the port for publishing, including to Nintendo, and they also had to sign off on the Kickstarter. Doesn't bode well for Nintendo seeing the IP, and thus Wonder Red in Smash, as financially viable, but on the other hand they would've known about it a while ago and it's in their best interest to promote this port, so, who knows?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
*insert Nintendo Direct joke here*
I know it's a joke, but in seriousness we still have a few days left to see if Zippo's rumor of two directs this month comes true (AC being one of those two, of course). If nothing else, the definitive edition of Xenoblade Chronicles being rated in Korea is a red flag.

In the meantime, I have to wonder what Platinum's next secret project is, so at least we won't have long to find out.

Staarih

Smash Master
There is now a new demo for the game, offering the same bonuses as the recent update, namely the Wonder versions of :ultbayonetta: characters.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...mastered_and_you_can_play_as_wonder-bayonetta
Cool of them to offer both a demo right before the holidays, as well as easier methods of acquiring the special characters (with more to come it looks like). Hopefully TW101R slowly finds a larger audience as it (still) didn't really pop off as I hoped. Then again, the game is kinda hard to get into and the Kickstarter was a mess...

Last edited:
Top Bottom