• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team, Unite Up! Wonder Red for Smash Switch

D

Deleted member

Gamexplain has confirmed the Wonderful 101 is getting a Switch and PS4 port through crowfunding by Platinum

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling it now:

Nintendo will retain IP rights ownership (copyright/trademark), but Platinum will be allowed to bring the game to multiple platforms à la-

why would nintendo let them have ps4 port?
They aren't doing anything with the IP and would still get a percentage on each copy sold on other platforms.

EDIT: In case you guys were wondering what the two pics are, one is of MechAssault: Phantom War for Nintendo DS and the other is Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise, both of which have "Microsoft Game Studios" on them. This is similar to Sony's WipeOut series on Nintendo 64/Sega Saturn, Sega's Penguin Land on Game Boy, and now Sony's MLB: The Show is going to multiple platforms.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Gamexplain has confirmed the Wonderful 101 is getting a Switch and PS4 port through crowfunding by Platinum

I really doubt Nintendo would let them do a PS4 port of a game that's their IP. That thing is still super rare and absolutely not Nintendo's style.

Staarih

Smash Master
I really doubt Nintendo would let them do a PS4 port of a game that's their IP. That thing is still super rare and absolutely not Nintendo's style.
The on-going speculation is that Platinum fully acquired the IP to themselves.

I mean, I was really eager for a Switch port for W101 to give it another chance (and a chance for me to actually play it), but Kickstarter is quite a weird route to take. Guess it really isn't/wasn't as much as a valuable IP to try again or fund it some other way. Then again, as long we get it on Switch, it's all good. We'll see if this is really happening or not soon, luckily.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The on-going speculation is that Platinum fully acquired the IP to themselves.

I mean, I was really eager for a Switch port for W101 to give it another chance (and a chance for me to actually play it), but Kickstarter is quite a weird route to take. Guess it really isn't/wasn't as much as a valuable IP to try again or fund it some other way. Then again, as long we get it on Switch, it's all good. We'll see if this is really happening or not soon, luckily.
Even with their Tencent cash infusion, I find it hard to believe Nintendo would sell them the IP. They're very protective of them, and why wouldn't they, the moment they lose their exclusives they're done as console makers.

Speaking of which, I also find it suspect that they would resort to crowdfunding after getting that Tencent investment. One would think they'd have the cash to do such an easy port.

This whole story is an "I'll believe I when I see it" to me.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Liam Robertson is claiming that Nintendo refused to greenlight it for them which is why it is coming to Kickstarter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing how much Nintendo pushes for indies anyway, I don't think they'll stop Platinum, either.

This reminds me of how a certain half-genie's sequel had to be published in-house by a certain dev because no one else backed it up...

true but it feels like ideal speculation

to be fair theres a lot of ip theyre not doing anything with
Sure, though we're specifically talking about an IP that was basically tailor-made by a third-party from the start, rather than Nintendo's usual first-party and second-party divisions. I mean, considering how much of a mess :ultbayonetta:'s rights publishing ownership is at the moment (among other things Platinum went through), I can understand Platinum wanting to do stuff with their own creations and not just constantly rely on publishers anymore.

Edit: And this story just continues to escalate.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
If it pans out ill throw money their way for sure if only to maximize W101's chances at coming back.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So congragulations on the successful Kickstarter. I never got to play the original (didn't own a Wii U), but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Little nervous about those stretch goals, though. The gap between 50k and 250k is a large one indeed...

Staarih

Smash Master
Wow, so the first goalpost (Switch version) is already funded. That's a relief, as long as that's coming, I'm all good. Can't wait to play this game as I missed it on the Wii U!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Welp, looks like the rumors were true. I'm happy that more people will be able to play the original game, and if this leads to a sequel, great, but otherwise this is doing nothing for me. I already own W101 on Wii U and this basically ends any chance for Wonder Red in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Welp, congratulations contreras.

Gonna try to buy the Switch version at launch.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm so happy that people are giving this game a second chance. I was one of the people who owned the Wii U original and was always upset it did so poorly initially. Seeing people give this game another chance is the most heartwarming thing in gaming I've seen in a long time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So we got Ori and Cuphead's games on Switch, Cuphead and Banjo are in Smash and now a Nintendo game is headed for PC and possibly PS4. I wonder if Bayonetta 2 will get the treatment too.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Already backed. Looking forward to revisiting this godlike gem.

I was dabbling with the idea of if we aren't able to get a Wonderful 101 character as playable, would you be open to having a Mii costume just be a Wonder Mask? I think that would satisfy me but I wasn't sure if a mii costume/mask would make you guys excited or not.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
The Playstation port has been funded the campaign is exploding!

Backing the instant I can afford one of the higher tiers

EDIT: $50k off. oof

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While I'm really happy that the Wonderful 101 is getting a new chance at life, I feel like I should just ask it... what does this mean for Wonder Red's chances in Smash...?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I'm really happy that the Wonderful 101 is getting a new chance at life, I feel like I should just ask it... what does this mean for Wonder Red's chances in Smash...?
well the port could help over all support for the idea even if hes no longer co owned with nintendo

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Okay, so we don't know if they own it or not yet. However, this is proof-positive that their relationship with Nintendo is really good.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
The copyright is owned by Nintendo but it seems they were good with letting it on other consoles. I really think this is a one time exception and don't think the same will happen to Astral Chain in the slightest

Top Bottom