• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So here's a very interesting interview with Imamura from 2002 that talks in detail about Star Fox Adventures and its development.

Here's the part where they discuss Krystal:

...well then.

People always like to make fun of Rare for being a bunch of horny furries with characters like Candy Kong or Berri (the BFD version) but it seems in this case it was all on Miyamoto/Imamura.
The rabbit hole goes deeper.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Source Gaming did a cut characters in Brawl video.

man... what an agonizing video lmfao
aside from obviously krystal, mewtwo was such a sad omission. the thought that they had the "extra time" to add jigglypuff and toon link but then "ran out of time" for mewtwo? what a cruel world we live in 😭 and i'm glad sakurai finally dislodged his head from of his orifice regarding ridley

but yeah, while Wolf wound up being one of my favorite characters, i would have traded him for Krystal in a heartbeat. even now i'd be tempted

Brawl is already my favorite Smash game, between the favors it did me with the roster and the glory of Subspace Emissary, but if i could trade Jigglypuff and Toon Link for Krystal, Mewtwo, and the early debut of Ridley? it would have been very close to perfect

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's always seemed very apparent to me that Star Fox characters have never been a high priority for Sakurai.

Falco just got into Melee because they needed clones, and Wolf got into Brawl because he was popular and also could partially be cloned off of Fox. SF has seemingly never gotten an additional character beyond Fox with the pretense of them being a completely unique fighter.

It feels like Fox would of otherwise been the sole rep of his series the same way Captain Falcon, Wario, Yoshi, etc are with their universes, had it been not so easy to make deriative characters out of him. Kinda the same thing with Mother, whose additional character is obviously cribbed from Ness.

It feels like Kid Icarus is the only "minor" Nintendo franchise to actually get away with having a completely unique secondary character, in the form of Palutena. But it obviously only happened because Sakurai's the director for both Smash and KI Uprising.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
it's so disheartening. between Sakurai's apparent apathy for star fox, his determination to give zelda everything but a distinct new character, his bias against the last 20 years of Kirby games, a pokemon generation i didn't like being next in line for a rep, and nintendo in general seemingly wanting nothing to do with mother/earthbound, i'm running out of options for Fighter's Pass and beyond

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
it's so disheartening. between Sakurai's apparent apathy for star fox, his determination to give zelda everything but a distinct new character, his bias against the last 20 years of Kirby games, a pokemon generation i didn't like being next in line for a rep, and nintendo in general seemingly wanting nothing to do with mother/earthbound, i'm running out of options for Fighter's Pass and beyond
Don't forget his obsession with Fire Emblem reps and third party anime swordfighters. Sakurai has a JRPG obsession and it's resulted in a ton of missed opportunities.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One day to go.

Star Fox Zero and Guard are some of the few WiiU games that haven't been either directly ported or been given a sequel so I wonder if they'll try retrofitting the game's assets to a sane control scheme. Or will Nintendo blame the characters once again?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Whatever happens, we all had fun speculating and that's what counts.

It'll be weird to end four solid years of Smash speculation. Six years mentally with how long 2020 dragged.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Well everyone nothing out of the Star Fox series, however with advance wars coming back that does give me hope the Nintendo is reviving dead series so lets hope that they do the same with Star Fox!
Nintendo of America promoting the hell out of Metroid Dread also gives me hope. If a "typically dormant, not popular in Japan" franchise like Metroid can get a big push, hopefully Star Fox will too.

Also hoping that if Fusion finally got a sequel after nearly 20 years, hopefully Assault/Command will get a sequel after a similar amount of time.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Nintendo of America promoting the hell out of Metroid Dread also gives me hope. If a "typically dormant, not popular in Japan" franchise like Metroid can get a big push, hopefully Star Fox will too.

Also hoping that if Fusion finally got a sequel after nearly 20 years, hopefully Assault/Command will get a sequel after a similar amount of time.
If they do get a sequel I hope that they do something other than the rail shooter. Going away from that would really benefit the series.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
If they do get a sequel I hope that they do something other than the rail shooter. Going away from that would really benefit the series.
I think Zero's lackluster reception told them that railshooters are not the path forward. It's always been a rather experimental series, so I think the "just make more SF64" crowd have been proven wrong that railshooting was the answer. Not just b/c Zero flopped, but SF643DS and Command were also not big hits, and both are mostly Arwing-focused games.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
I think Zero's lackluster reception told them that railshooters are not the path forward. It's always been a rather experimental series, so I think the "just make more SF64" crowd have been proven wrong that railshooting was the answer. Not just b/c Zero flopped, but SF643DS and Command were also not big hits, and both are mostly Arwing-focused games.
Agreed, I'm fine with having some segments of railshooters but not the entire game.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
So with one fighter left, what do you guys think? I personally have given up hope on Krystal being upgraded to playable status in the game, though it would be cool if they did do that, and included the notably-absent Orbital Gate Assault level with her. They could just patch out the Assist Trophy, or make it not activate if she's a player character (I think they do this with other ATs in some circumstances). But I fear people will think that's a double dip since she's already an Assist Trophy.

Personally, I'm ready for Smash's DLC to be over, and I hope if they do another one, with or without Sakurai, they start over from scratch. I feel Smash has kind of reached the summation of its game design, and I don't know how they could iterate on it further. But mostly, I just want them to cut the fat. Get rid of a lot of characters that seem superfluous (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Child Link, maybe like half the Fire Emblem roster lol). I also would be totally OK with them nixing all of the third party/guest fighters. Just bring it back to Nintendo. We have plenty of Nintendo reps that are not playable that fans have wanted to see since Melee, and focusing on third party reps has turned Smash into a speculative guessing game/hype machine about how the internet will react to third party reps getting in. It's just unsustainable in the long run, and makes it so that when we DO get Nintendo fighters (Min-Min, Pyra/Mythra) the reaction is disappointment that it wasn't Master Chief or Fortnite person or something.

I expect the final Smash fighter to be a letdown for most people, or something totally out of left field that references the original game (like Master Hand or something). While I would love to see Sakurai throw a curveball and bump Krystal up to the main cast, I just don't see it happening at this point. What do you think?

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Honestly. Sakurai is not very bright.

Especially thinking how clone characters are worth prioritizing over characters who have so much potential.

Sakurai is not a God Or A Heavenly Saint who's incapable of making bad choices.

And I do wish people would stop treating him like he's The Jesus Of The Gaming Industry.

He's a regular human being like everyone else for Cinder's sake.

With that being said.

I do wish Nintendo would have somebody like the Project M team take over and make Smash from this point out.

It's obviously Sakurai hates working on this game and has had enough in terms of making games.

And is tired of Smash Bros and wants a long vacation.

Being one of those guys who hates his job and wants to go home right the heck now (As evident with the middle finger he raised in that Byleth presentation)

So why not just get a team full of younger and fresh people to take over whose minds are all fresh and have great ideas.

Who will put actual effort into making a good Smash game and not rushing it out because of them being tired and sick of Smash.

It's time for Sakurai to just take a break and let somebody else take the reigns for once.

To where we can get characters like Krystal, Dixie Kong, A New Zelda Newcomer, More Old Single Player Modes, A Story Mode That's More Like Subspace, Excellent Online, ect........

Not attempting to put out hate mail or put out cynical cruel spirited messages on this board.

Just offering a suggestion.

Feel free to either agree or disagree with me.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Especially thinking how clone characters are worth prioritizing over characters who have so much potential.
Because he doesn't have time to make all the unique fighters everyone wants. He's said that if they never made the Melee clones they wouldn't have the resources to make one fully unique fighter instead.

Lacking resources like this actually could benefit Krystal, as her AT is one of the "diet fighter" variety. I've been thinking about this, and it would be kind of funny to have her be the last fighter in Ultimate as it would be for the exact same reason it had to be Wolf instead of her in Brawl.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Honestly. Sakurai is not very bright.

Sakurai is not a God Or A Heavenly Saint who's incapable of making bad choices.

And I do wish people would stop treating him like he's The Jesus Of The Gaming Industry.

He's a regular human being like everyone else for Cinder's sake.

With that being said.

I do wish Nintendo would have somebody like the Project M team take over and make Smash from this point out.

It's obviously Sakurai hates working on this game and has had enough in terms of making games.

And is tired of Smash Bros and wants a long vacation.

Being one of those guys who hates his job and wants to go home right the heck now (As evident with the middle finger he raised in that Byleth presentation)

So why not just get a team full of younger and fresh people to take over whose minds are all fresh and have great ideas.

Who will put actual effort into making a good Smash game and not rushing it out because of them being tired and sick of Smash.

It's time for Sakurai to just take a break and let somebody else take the reigns for once.

To where we can get characters like Krystal, Dixie Kong, A New Zelda Newcomer, More Old Single Player Modes, A Story Mode That's More Like Subspace, Excellent Online, ect........

Not attempting to put out hate mail or put out cynical cruel spirited messages on this board.

Just offering a suggestion.

Feel free to either agree or disagree with me.
Sakurai is more of a supervisor at this point. Namco does all the heavy lifting for Smash, and has since Smash 4. I'm sure Sakurai is meticulous in fine-tuning things and such, but he's not the one making the models/assets or animating everything. He's more of a manager at this point, I'd imagine. For all we know, he's working on ideas/prototypes for his next game while the Namco team does the DLC with him overseeing.

I took the coy middle finger during the Byleth presentation as his way of saying: "I know you'll give me grief for yet another Fire Emblem character, but I love this series more than anything so go F yourselves". The guy is absolutely fixated on anime swordfighting RPGs - Fire Emblem in particular. He should really just go and make one and get it out of his system instead of shoehorning it into Smash (I know he deflects "blame" to Nintendo for the choices, but he's provided mixed specifics on the selections so who knows).

I personally want Sakurai to retire from Smash because I feel his biases and fatigue are showing too much nowadays. Plus, if he leaves and lets somebody younger take over, we might actually get more representation in Smash. There's almost no POC representation (I don't know if I'd count AC Villager or Splatoon alt skins). Heck, when he talked about choosing an ARMS rep, it was really telling that far and away Twintelle was the most popular rep, but he went with Min-Min because the ARMS producer offered her as a choice - but he was sure to let people know that his own personal choice was Ninjara. Really? Like, my god dude. If ARMS had a sword fighter, you know he would've gone for that one.

Sakurai is very talented and he's made quite the accomplishment with Smash Ultimate, but I think he's clearly tired of this franchise and this iteration of it has run its course. Time to let him move on and let some fresh blood reinvent the series.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Funny that this is the post that smashboards decided to ping me about.

Top Bottom