• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I don't think about lore and story in SF as much as other fans do, if there is another game I think ideally it might be best to just have a unified canon that takes elements from the various continuities and treats some of the various games with broad strokes. Ignore the wackiness of Command and the derivative stuff in Zero, and just have a team including the likes of Krystal, Miyu, and Fay and go from there. You could probably even have some fun with splitting the various Star Wolf teams with an elite team of Wolf, Leon, & Panther and the less successful trio of Pigma, Andrew, & Algy.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Yeah it would definitely cost Nintendo to change up the game to fit without the game pad, but I honestly see them doing that before investing in development of a new game, as much as I'd prefer one. Tokyo Mirage Sessions sold pretty poorly, even worse than Zero did and while it likely wouldn't have needed as much work it did get ported this year so I'm 50/50 on it happening really.

I really like your Starlink type game idea. Starlink expanded on Fox's past and Corneria a bit and thats something Krystal and Cerinia could definitely use too. We can only hope Ubisoft and Nintendo noticed the version with Star Fox sold the most and they end up collaborating on a full game. Even better if on foot exploration/combat played a part too
He needs to tell Nintendo this idea stat!

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Warning: boredom and imagination ahead.

Star Fox: Lost Signal

Fox is split from his team in a battle and captured. Forced into a lawless part of the galaxy, he must work for somewhat shady characters as a mercenary to manage a good ship and weapons to contact his team and escape.

There he meets Kursed (first time meeting maybe as a retcon) reluctantly to pair up and take on bounties together. This could be with Wolf keeping an eye on him from afar in case someone wants to doublecross him.

An open world game where you use a new customizable ship to travel space. New enhanced on foot gameplay and fighting with plasma blades and varied armor pieces. Shows us how Fox and Krystal can fight. Still includes railed segments in your ship too. Has on foot battles with aerial battles overhead at the same time, you can use vehicles seamlessly.

Sounds a little fan service but I'd buy it.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

Fox is split from his team in a battle and captured. Forced into a lawless part of the galaxy, he must work for somewhat shady characters as a mercenary to manage a good ship and weapons to contact his team and escape.

There he meets Kursed (first time meeting maybe as a retcon) reluctantly to pair up and take on bounties together. This could be with Wolf keeping an eye on him from afar in case someone wants to doublecross him.

An open world game where you use a new customizable ship to travel space. New enhanced on foot gameplay and fighting with plasma blades and varied armor pieces. Shows us how Fox and Krystal can fight. Still includes railed segments in your ship too. Has on foot battles with aerial battles overhead at the same time, you can use vehicles seamlessly.

Fan service? Oh...right...Krystal...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I would absolutely love this as a Star Fox game. I would buy it in a heartbeat! My dream Star Fox game is one that is a mix of Adventures and 64 with the exploration on foot aspect of Adventures with the Arwing and tank aspects of 64. I really want Star Fox to become gaming's Star Wars not just in a iconic sense, but in a conspect sense.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I would absolutely love this as a Star Fox game. I would buy it in a heartbeat! My dream Star Fox game is one that is a mix of Adventures and 64 with the exploration on foot aspect of Adventures with the Arwing and tank aspects of 64. I really want Star Fox to become gaming's Star Wars not just in a iconic sense, but in a conspect sense.
Ooh, that would be awesome!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So uh, Star Fox 64 3D finally managed to sell over a million units.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

For those not in the know, the above ResetERA thread contains official shipment data of Nintendo's million sellers.

This is actually Star Fox's first million selling game since Star Fox Adventures back in 2002...as crazy as that sounds.

Star Fox 64 - 4 million
Star Fox SNES - 2.99 million
Star Fox Adventures - 1.82 million
Star Fox 64 3D - 1.05 million

Assault, Command, Zero and Guard aren't anywhere to be found, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

For those not in the know, the above ResetERA thread contains official shipment data of Nintendo's million sellers.

This is actually Star Fox's first million selling game since Star Fox Adventures back in 2002...as crazy as that sounds.

Star Fox 64 - 4 million

I didn't know Adventures sold that well. That makes me happy to hear. Adventures was my first Star Fox game and it was my introduction to the series outside of Smash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Star Fox 64 - 4 million

Those numbers make me realize that one of the biggest blown opportunities for the franchise was not having any sort of entry on the Wii, especially given how well that console sold. Numerous mid-level franchises got solid results on it:

-Super Paper Mario
-Donkey Kong Country
-Mario Party
-Fire Emblem
-Kirby
-Metroid

With the Wii's install base and momentum in the first half of its life, that was the time to take advantage. A significant SF release circa 09/10 that built upon both 64 and Assault might have sold good numbers and given the series a remarkable boost in momentum and confidence by Nintendo. Control wise, given how popular movement with a stick and aiming with motion controls has gotten in the past couple of years, there might have been something interesting with controlling the Arwing with the nunchuk and aiming with the Wii remote.

It would have allowed for the appeal of Zero's combat (aiming in a different direction than where the ship was facing) without the less appealing aspect of it (two screens). It is a bit gimmicky, but if something like that was simply top of a core game with depth, I doubt it would have gotten that much controversy. Doubly so if they had kept the fun of Assault multiplayer (which would have been huge on a party game haven like the Wii).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Those numbers make me realize that one of the biggest blown opportunities for the franchise was not having any sort of entry on the Wii, especially given how well that console sold. Numerous mid-level franchises got solid results on it:

-Super Paper Mario
-Donkey Kong Country
-Mario Party
-Fire Emblem
-Kirby
-Metroid

With the Wii's install base and momentum in the first half of its life, that was the time to take advantage. A significant SF release circa 09/10 that built upon both 64 and Assault might have sold good numbers and given the series a remarkable boost in momentum and confidence by Nintendo. Control wise, given how popular movement with a stick and aiming with motion controls has gotten in the past couple of years, there might have been something interesting with controlling the Arwing with the nunchuk and aiming with the Wii remote.

It would have allowed for the appeal of Zero's combat (aiming in a different direction than where the ship was facing) without the less appealing aspect of it (two screens). It is a bit gimmicky, but if something like that was simply top of a core game with depth, I doubt it would have gotten that much controversy. Doubly so if they had kept the fun of Assault multiplayer (which would have been huge on a party game haven like the Wii).
It always seems like the big N always leaves out one of their big IPs out of every home console generation:

N64 - Metroid

Gamecube - Donkey Kong (Specifically mainline games)

Wii - Star Fox

Wii U - Metroid again

Switch - ??? Pending...

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
It always seems like the big N always leaves out one of their big IPs out of every home console generation:

N64 - Metroid

Wii - Star Fox

Wii U - Metroid again

Switch - ??? Pending...
the wii u mised more than metroid, it was lacking animal crossing, fire emblem, kirby, pokemon, wario land, and f zero, granted all of these except f-zero, and wario were on 3ds (but so was metroid:samus returns)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

N64 - Metroid

Wii - Star Fox

Wii U - Metroid again

Switch - ??? Pending...
If we take the original 8 characters plus Fire Emblem as Nintendo's big series, then there's quite a few gaps. Especially with Yoshi as it went handheld only for a long time. From Yoshi's Story to Yoshi's Wolly World there wasn't a single home console game in his series.

Then there's Earthbound which has come to a close and the sad case of F-Zero, another tragic case of a perfectly good series being abandoned in favor of going all in on more popular one. (See also: Prince of Persia dropped for Assassin's Creed, Rayman dropped for Rabbids and Unreal Tournament dropkicked for more Fortnite dances.)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do think its a case where not all absences are necessarily created equal. It was tough not having Metroid on the N64, but if creating a viable 3D version of it was not really possible till the Gamecube, its hibernation might have done it some good in avoiding a potentially lesser game during the time period. Losing DK during the GC era was unfortunate given how much Mario had stepped back from both new 3D and 2D mainline games which major Donkey Kong titles could have easily filled the gap of.

For Star Fox though, I gladly would have traded both Command and the N64 remake (whatever their good qualities) for one really big title on the Wii that could have been boosted by the big install base.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not typically one to post game concept essays, but this video on a hypothetical SF sequel has some of the best ideas I've heard in a long time:

I know some will object to the use of Katt as opposed to Krystal but if you were to put the latter in her place, this would be a game that would please a lot of people.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Sorry, but I don't trust Nintendo NOT to turn Kursed into an edgelord, that's...a very common fan trope
d18fepo-8cb0b9af-087c-4ed1-92e8-cd396fbb3137.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Paper Mario came back after a disappointing game as Nintendo could recycle the assets and engine so I don't doubt that they'd try to do the same to Star Fox. In fact, I wonder if that's why Platinum has had such a hard time getting Bayonetta 3 done. Having to juggle it, their new properties, their remasters and a new Star Fox game.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Well Paper Mario came back after a disappointing game as Nintendo could recycle the assets and engine so I don't doubt that they'd try to do the same to Star Fox. In fact, I wonder if that's why Platinum has had such a hard time getting Bayonetta 3 done. Having to juggle it, their new properties, their remasters and a new Star Fox game.
Heard Bayonetta 3 is having trouble Good. Good. (I hate Bayonetta, she stopped Banjo from coming home last game.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What do you mean?
Seems like a mistaken belief that characters can steal another character slot like it's the Min Min trailer. Bayonetta was chosen because of an early lead in the voting and Sega being more than willing to lend her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Krystal came back as Kursed just for a tiny portion of a game. Tone down the edginess a bit and it could work for a nice little plot. I still would 100% want to see normal Krystal return to the series and the Star Fox team, but I wouldn't mind if we get Kursed in the beginning of like the next Star Fox game and after helping her out and settling issues she turns back to normal and rejoins the Star Fox team.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
There are some recent rumblings about the next Smash fighter being another first party Nintendo character, and one from a beloved but lesser known IP.

I'm figuring it'll be something like Rhythm Heaven, though I wonder if Star Fox counts? It's beloved but lesser known nowadays. Would it be possible that Krystal could be updated to a playable character? Patterns and rules are largely tossed out, and it's ultimately up to Sakurai's desire to see things happen, it seems.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
There are some recent rumblings about the next Smash fighter being another first party Nintendo character, and one from a beloved but lesser known IP.

I'm figuring it'll be something like Rhythm Heaven, though I wonder if Star Fox counts? It's beloved but lesser known nowadays. Would it be possible that Krystal could be updated to a playable character? Patterns and rules are largely tossed out, and it's ultimately up to Sakurai's desire to see things happen, it seems.
That's what I'm hoping for. There's no written or spoken rule against assist trophy characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I swear man, I would trade the entire Season Pass 2 lineup for Krystal if she isn't in it. If by some miracle she makes it in this game and get's promoted from being Assist, I wouldn't ask Sakurai for anything else in this game as he would given me my 4 out my 5 most wanted characters being K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie, and Krystal. Hell, I wouldn't ask him for anybody else for future Smashs except for Goemon. That's the only two characters I REALLY need left is Goemon and Krystal.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
The Assist Trophy rule will die soon just like how the Spirit fan rule did. There really is no rules, any rules is just imaginary ones created by nerds on the Internet.
This is my feeling as well. All of the patterns and all of the theories eventually end up getting debunked. I think it ultimately just depends on what Sakurai wants to do.

Plus, it's not like they haven't upgraded Assist Trophies before. Never within the same game they're debuted in, but it's possible in this day of DLC and patches being an established thing in Smash. If they upgraded Krystal to playable status, they would likely give her a new outfit (a la Wolf) and a better model, and they could always make it so her AT doesn't trigger if she's playable on a stage.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is my feeling as well. All of the patterns and all of the theories eventually end up getting debunked. I think it ultimately just depends on what Sakurai wants to do.

Plus, it's not like they haven't upgraded Assist Trophies before. Never within the same game they're debuted in, but it's possible in this day of DLC and patches being an established thing in Smash. If they upgraded Krystal to playable status, they would likely give her a new outfit (a la Wolf) and a better model, and they could always make it so her AT doesn't trigger if she's playable on a stage.
I could see Krystal's Smash design being a mix of her Adventures, Assault, and Command designs just like how K. Rool and Ridley's Smash designs were a mix of all of their past designs.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

I haven't seen or heard of these rumblings. Not saying you are lying but do you have a source? Also as much as I love Krystal and Star Fox if this rumor is true I imagine it would be a franchise like Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Pikmin, Chibi-Robo, or Kid Icarus. MAYBE if we are lucky it would be a Star Fox or F-Zero.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That rumor is fake, btw

Said it would be revealed last Monday, and obviously nothing happened.

BTW I'm pretty sure their "source" here is just that Hotgirl account that never gets anything right lol

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I'm concerned, the current barometer for forthcoming Smash news is the period around an amiibo wave. If nothing happens by October 3, then for the first time in a long time, we'll have no idea when the next fighter is announced.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen or heard of these rumblings. Not saying you are lying but do you have a source? Also as much as I love Krystal and Star Fox if this rumor is true I imagine it would be a franchise like Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Pikmin, Chibi-Robo, or Kid Icarus. MAYBE if we are lucky it would be a Star Fox or F-Zero.
It's the one Dinoman posted above. Obviously fake now, since the supposed reveal date came and went.

Top Bottom