• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Yeah, but what is important is who is popular now that is a stronger determing factor in inclusion in terms of choosing popular characters. K. Rool wasn't that popular during Brawl before Diddy got in and nether was Banjo & Kazooie up until that one dude on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if they could be added if Banjo & Kazooie does well on the Smash Ballot.

Krystal use to be the queen of Smash speculation, but she has fallen from grace and it is up to us to put her back on the throne where she rightfully belongs.

That won't stop Sakurai from adding Waluigi if Nintendo wants him too.
Never said it would stop him from promoting the purple plumber. Also now that I think about it Sakurai really couldn’t make Brawl back then they way he wanted to because he had a small team, and he also had the mountainous task of making Smash Brothers playable online for the first time. That’s why characters like Krystal, Waluigi & Isaac have been runner ups to the ”big dog“ characters we have now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Never said it would stop him from promoting the purple plumber. Also now that I think about it Sakurai really couldn’t make Brawl back then they way he wanted to because he had a small team, and he also had the mountainous task of making Smash Brothers playable online for the first time. That’s why characters like Krystal, Waluigi & Isaac have been runner ups to the ”big dog“ characters we have now.
I think Sakurai had a pretty big team for Brawl though. It sucks we couldn't get Krystal back in Brawl, I would have literally traded any Brawl newcomer for her. Wolf got in over her because he was easier to make a easy fast Fox semi-clone.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I think Sakurai had a pretty big team for Brawl though. It sucks we couldn't get Krystal back in Brawl, I would have literally traded any Brawl newcomer for her. Wolf got in over her because he was easier to make a easy fast Fox semi-clone.
No he definitely had a small team while making Brawl, but not super small and definitely not as big as what he had for Smash Wii U/3DS or Ultimate.
Wolf was created because of time constraints back then, and like you said It was easier for them to make with in the time constrictions. I mean Smash online for the first time and all the other new stuff they added back in Brawl took up a lot of time to make. It’s release got delayed 2 or 3 times I think because of game breaking bugs if If I’m not mistaken.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Krystal being an AT already and whether or not she could be a playable character, I do have a pet theory about this.

One thing they could do is pull a Wolf and do a redesign for Krystal. Put her in her Assault suit or upgrade it. Make her distinct from the AT. They could deactivate the AT if a user or computer opponent is playing as her, or just get rid of it altogether. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but aren't there other ATs that don't spawn on certain levels for technical reasons?

I noticed that the Krystal AT model is very detailed, and has a lot of attack patterns, a recovery and air dodge, taunts, etc. She's essentially halfway to a full character. There was a rumor a while ago that she was meant for Ultimate but they ran out of time (again) and relegated her to a half-finished AT instead of dropping her entirely. Reminds me of how she was meant for Brawl but they dropped her for time issues (supposedly because of Sonic's last minute inclusion after Sega's waffling) and put Wolf in instead. It's tough to think of how different things would've been for Krystal fans if Brawl didn't have scheduling issues.

Imagine the reveal though:

Cinematic of Fox and Falco vs Wolf. Fox uses an AT and Krystal pops out to assist. Wolf calls in Andross's AT. Krystal then says something like "I need an upgrade to handle this" and she transforms into an updated sci-fi suit. We get our character splash screen for her, and then the level turns into Orbital Gate Assault, and we watch as her and the Star Fox team beat up Wolf and Andross.

So you have a reason for the AT upgrading, you get a new design for Krystal, and you have Orbital Gate Assault come back, and now there's a reason why she wouldn't show up in the comms for that level.

Ahh, to dream...!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not exactly sure how that works, but aren't there other ATs that don't spawn on certain levels for technical reasons?
There are tons of cases like this. Even ATs can disable the spawning of other ATs, as can the Galaga and Smash Ball.

I also wouldn't consider Krystal or any AT to really be halfway there, as the all have less than 10 moves (usually like 3-4) while fighters have a minimum of 23, in addition to some moves that would need to be toned down.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
There are tons of cases like this. Even ATs can disable the spawning of other ATs, as can the Galaga and Smash Ball.

I also wouldn't consider Krystal or any AT to really be halfway there, as the all have less than 10 moves (usually like 3-4) while fighters have a minimum of 23, in addition to some moves that would need to be toned down.
Well around 10 movies is roughly half of 23, so that doesn't disprove my point (I kid I kid).

What I meant was that she's a lot more robust than a bunch of ATs. Many are stationary, or do status or area effects run back and forth and do simple attacks. Krystal has a good amount of movement and attacks. She also has more model refinement than something like Waluigi, who has solid hands and not individual fingers like Krystal does. This could simply be attributed to imported and touched up models, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Of course, when I say that Krystal is halfway to a playable character, I'm not saying that as literal, but more in a sense that she's a lot more developed than some ATs. They could've just had her do a single attack and not move or something, but they took time and effort to make her AT more developed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Prototypes of SNES games have leaked including Star Fox and Star Fox 2.

Of particular note we have two scrapped pilots one being a lama or a sheep and the other being a human.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You can see how eager the developers were to expand the Star Fox cast, with them throwing around a bunch of ideas for new characters like sheeps, bears, deers, and even a human before finally settling on Miyu and Fay.

Unlike today.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why did they need to remake all the dialog for SF643D if uncompressed voice lines existed the whole time, besides changing button prompts to match the 3DS?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why did they need to remake all the dialog for SF643D if uncompressed voice lines existed the whole time, besides changing button prompts to match the 3DS?
Because apparently they really needed to fix that "Eisenstein" line.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
More Early Star Fox 2 art has been found

The one that really catches my attention is at the bottom of the 3rd one with a Fox that looks like McCloud's Smash 64 art, complete with the strange floppy ears.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Rate their chances. You give a chance and want rating for each character with two sentences for each rating. You can also abstain on any individual chance or want or character rating, so if you don't know how to rate the other characters or give a low chance score you can abstain.
Oh, well thank you for telling me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
With Pikmin 3 Deluxe on its way now Star Fox Zero is part of only a small handful of Wii U 1st party exclusives left. Anyone here who would double dip or try for the first time?

Obviously some changes would have to be made to the controls to make it work. If they went the Pikmin 3 route and added a new side story with a young Krystal during the Lylat Wars or a prologue where you play as James McCloud that would be brilliant

Also if anyone is interested support Krystal in this video where she's up against Akira Howard for Smash: https://youtu.be/B4OUAxSZv2w

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
With Pikmin 3 Deluxe on its way now Star Fox Zero is part of only a small handful of Wii U 1st party exclusives left. Anyone here who would double dip or try for the first time?

Obviously some changes would have to be made to the controls to make it work. If they went the Pikmin 3 route and added a new side story with a young Krystal during the Lylat Wars or a prologue where you play as James McCloud that would be brilliant

Also if anyone is interested support Krystal in this video where she's up against Akira Howard for Smash: https://youtu.be/B4OUAxSZv2w
The only problem with that, is they are stuck in only rebooting the N64 game over and over again.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A Star Fox Zero port is tricky because arguably more than any other potential Switch title, its entire gameplay concept relies on the gamepad so the game would have to be massively overhauled. Such a level of work needed may not be utilized given how low its sales were (with the vast majority of the first party Wii-U games that have been ported were ones that sold at least one million on the system. And quite frankly past the unique camera system there's really not much to the game, just a meh retread of SF64 with the multiple path system not nearly as well executed.

At this point it feels like Star Fox is at a crossroads. The self fulfilling prophecy of its existence seems pretty obvious; Nintendo not really investing in it like they should, the games undersell, and they're even less inclined to put money into the next time. At this point the franchise can retire, go the Mega Man route via modest budget titles that acknowledge their status as shorter rail shooters, or the company bites the bullet and goes with a full blown significant Star Fox game to genuinely revitalize the franchise with a big scope,, a healthy marketing budget, and perhaps most importantly of all, no gimmicks.

While I've mentioned before what I think a game like that should be (a lot of inspiration from open world of Starlink with multiple ships/characters and some select on rails segments to still stay true to the series roots), I think such a game could still move the series' story forward if they played it right. Have a central plot within the on rails segments playing as Fox (and maybe playing as one other character), so there's still a core narrative and plot specific pilot banter. But if a sandbox approach to everything else is allowed, then there's built in in replay value while satisfying those who want the experience of different ships/pilots. So yeah while the story might focus on Fox, one could still play as a Falco or Krystal in the game's setting if they wished.

And if they utilized the Starlink scanner function in a manner like the Metroid Prime series does, you could even expand the lore of SF in general without cutscenes that might get excessive to gameplay oriented players. Those that want to really dive into the history of the Lylat system could be scanning everything on Fichina during flights while those not interested will just focus on the mission; satisfying one type of SF player without turning off the other. And given that such data entries would be text based, you could on occasion have some unique responses based on which pilot you have when scanning. Like Krystal having a distinct comment when learning some ship or ruins is connected to Cerinia for example.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
PushDustIn PushDustIn updated his list of scrapped Smash 64 fighters, thanks to some extra help.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Apparently, the rest of Star Fox would have served as Fox's alts, but it never came to be. At least :ultfalco: was spared.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So could anyone tell me who Shorts was and what he contributed to the Krystal fanbase? I would like to know his story. It's sad to hear he's dead as I would have liked to meet the guy.

The only problem with that, is they are stuck in only rebooting the N64 game over and over again.
Technically the original SNES Star Fox since Star Fox 2, 64, and Zero are all basically remakes of that game.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
A Star Fox Zero port is tricky because arguably more than any other potential Switch title, its entire gameplay concept relies on the gamepad so the game would have to be massively overhauled. Such a level of work needed may not be utilized given how low its sales were (with the vast majority of the first party Wii-U games that have been ported were ones that sold at least one million on the system. And quite frankly past the unique camera system there's really not much to the game, just a meh retread of SF64 with the multiple path system not nearly as well executed.

At this point it feels like Star Fox is at a crossroads. The self fulfilling prophecy of its existence seems pretty obvious; Nintendo not really investing in it like they should, the games undersell, and they're even less inclined to put money into the next time. At this point the franchise can retire, go the Mega Man route via modest budget titles that acknowledge their status as shorter rail shooters, or the company bites the bullet and goes with a full blown significant Star Fox game to genuinely revitalize the franchise with a big scope,, a healthy marketing budget, and perhaps most importantly of all, no gimmicks.

While I've mentioned before what I think a game like that should be (a lot of inspiration from open world of Starlink with multiple ships/characters and some select on rails segments to still stay true to the series roots), I think such a game could still move the series' story forward if they played it right. Have a central plot within the on rails segments playing as Fox (and maybe playing as one other character), so there's still a core narrative and plot specific pilot banter. But if a sandbox approach to everything else is allowed, then there's built in in replay value while satisfying those who want the experience of different ships/pilots. So yeah while the story might focus on Fox, one could still play as a Falco or Krystal in the game's setting if they wished.

And if they utilized the Starlink scanner function in a manner like the Metroid Prime series does, you could even expand the lore of SF in general without cutscenes that might get excessive to gameplay oriented players. Those that want to really dive into the history of the Lylat system could be scanning everything on Fichina during flights while those not interested will just focus on the mission; satisfying one type of SF player without turning off the other. And given that such data entries would be text based, you could on occasion have some unique responses based on which pilot you have when scanning. Like Krystal having a distinct comment when learning some ship or ruins is connected to Cerinia for example.
Yeah it would definitely cost Nintendo to change up the game to fit without the game pad, but I honestly see them doing that before investing in development of a new game, as much as I'd prefer one. Tokyo Mirage Sessions sold pretty poorly, even worse than Zero did and while it likely wouldn't have needed as much work it did get ported this year so I'm 50/50 on it happening really.

I really like your Starlink type game idea. Starlink expanded on Fox's past and Corneria a bit and thats something Krystal and Cerinia could definitely use too. We can only hope Ubisoft and Nintendo noticed the version with Star Fox sold the most and they end up collaborating on a full game. Even better if on foot exploration/combat played a part too

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Yeah I dont see Zero being ported. It would require too much work and retooling for which is essentially Star Fox 64 2: Star Fox SNES 3 HD Deluxe.

What I could see Nintendo doing is making a new Star Fox game running on Zero's engine/reusing assets the same way Super Mario Party, Paper Mario Origami King, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Maker 2, Xenoblade 2, and Mario Tennis Aces all have with their Wii U predecessors/counter parts. Everything from the Wii U will be moved over in one way or another whether its a straight port or an engine/asset repurpose. Star Fox Zero will be another in the future I can bet on it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah I dont see Zero being ported. It would require too much work and retooling for which is essentially Star Fox 64 2: Star Fox SNES 3 HD Deluxe.

What I could see Nintendo doing is making a new Star Fox game running on Zero's engine/reusing assets the same way Super Mario Party, Paper Mario Origami King, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Maker 2, Xenoblade 2, and Mario Tennis Aces all have with their Wii U predecessors/counter parts. Everything from the Wii U will be moved over in one way or another whether its a straight port or an engine/asset repurpose. Star Fox Zero will be another in the future I can bet on it.
Add Miyu and Fey in there (and Krystal), bring in a new villain and we might have something. Maybe up General Scales ambitions to the whole Lylat System.

Makes me wonder though, will they reuse Nintendoland's assets at any point?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I can see, only Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD and maybe Kirby Rainbow Curse will be ported before they move on.

After Zero flopped, is 2's reputation on SNES Mini and Switch Online enough to take yet another stab at a redo? Preferably without Miyamoto anywhere near the dev process.

Edit: On a related note, Miyamoto used to smoke too much during the making of Star Fox 1: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...miyamoto_used_to_smoke_in_the_star_fox_office

Last edited:
Top Bottom