• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, that's the approach that always ends in disappointment. I prefer being realistic.
How about this one: entertain all possibilities, but don't invest too strong in any. Smash has thrown many, many curve balls our way over the years.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
How about this one: entertain all possibilities, but don't invest too strong in any. Smash has thrown many, many curve balls our way over the years.
Saying anything's possible isn't realistic. There are some things that have always stayed consistent even within this game and it's really not that hard to see that there's no true overlap between who's an Assist & Spirit and who's a Fighter. They clearly have guidelines in place for what they will and won't do, and all the evidence so far points to there never being any kind of promotion within this game.
It's a nice thought to have that they might be promoted, but it's just not realistic when you look at previous design decisions.
As long as a rule isn't broken, it's still in place as far as I'm concerned, and Spirits & Assists just aren't in play yet, so their rule is still in place.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Saying anything's possible isn't realistic. There are some things that have always stayed consistent even within this game and it's really not that hard to see that there's no true overlap between who's an Assist & Spirit and who's a Fighter. They clearly have guidelines in place for what they will and won't do, and all the evidence so far points to there never being any kind of promotion within this game.
It's a nice thought to have that they might be promoted, but it's just not realistic when you look at previous design decisions.
As long as a rule isn't broken, it's still in place as far as I'm concerned, and Spirits & Assists just aren't in play yet, so their rule is still in place.
But rules have been broken the whole way through. The Smash 4 DLC and ultimate characters each breaking some kind of rule or assumption is paratically a meme at this point. Heck, the ARMS character has broken 2 already (Nintendo won't promote a series that's already in the game and Nintendo has abandoned ARMS) and depending on who the character is, is guaranteed to break one more.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, that's the approach that always ends in disappointment. I prefer being realistic.
People said Ridley was "too big" and Sakurai even said something along those lines himself once and said it would take away from his character. Yet, in Ultimate he was finally added because of the fan demand. Waluigi right now is the new Ridley and Waluigi is getting just about the same amount of attention from the detractors as Ridley got. Waluigi might not make it into Ultimate, but one thing is certain... He is inevitable.

Edit:

Results from Source Gaming's mega poll incoming! Hopefully our girl doesn't score too low. I hope she at least is in the top 30.

Krystal wasn't anywhere on the list. I'm sad right now. :sadeyes:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
People said Ridley was "too big" and Sakurai even said something along those lines himself once and said it would take away from his character. Yet, in Ultimate he was finally added because of the fan demand. Waluigi right now is the new Ridley and Waluigi is getting just about the same amount of attention from the detractors as Ridley got. Waluigi might not make it into Ultimate, but one thing is certain... He is inevitable.

Edit:

Results from Source Gaming's mega poll incoming! Hopefully our girl doesn't score too low. I hope she at least is in the top 30.

Krystal wasn't anywhere on the list. I'm sad right now. :sadeyes:
Well she did improve a lot. Last year for their 2019 poll she didn't even make it into the Top 100, this time she made it into the Top 60, so there's a big jump there, even if it's not as big as some of us were hoping for.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well she did improve a lot. Last year for their 2019 poll she didn't even make it into the Top 100, this time she made it into the Top 60, so there's a big jump there, even if it's not as big as some of us were hoping for.
Yeah, but she still didn't make it to the top 50 though. I really want Krystal to return to the glory of her Brawl days when she was literally in the top 5.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, but she still didn't make it to the top 50 though. I really want Krystal to return to the glory of her Brawl days when she was literally in the top 5.
We may get there some day but for now we'll be thankful she increased in rank and try and get Nintendo to make a new Star Fox game and not remake Star Fox 64 again.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
My expectation is that much like Hero, the ARMS character will actually be a variety of characters under a single slot. Hoping for at least Twintelle and Min Min, personally.

If Springman is among the slots, that'd be very interesting. While I would love an Assist Upgrade pack so that Krystal would get another chance, I doubt Sakurai would do that, and many vocal fans of third party representation would be howling, especially since DLC pack 1 was almost entirely third party. Maybe if Sakurai had set expectations when announcing the second round of DLC, we would know more of what we'll get, but I think he enjoys keeping people speculating.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Really nice seeing Krystal jump from 105 to 60. There was around 30% more votes this time so most characters had more votes than before, but Krystal had almost 4 times as many as last time. Seeing as we've had pretty much nothing Krystal related from Nintendo since the last poll I think that's pretty impressive!

If Springman is among the slots, that'd be very interesting. While I would love an Assist Upgrade pack so that Krystal would get another chance, I doubt Sakurai would do that, and many vocal fans of third party representation would be howling, especially since DLC pack 1 was almost entirely third party. Maybe if Sakurai had set expectations when announcing the second round of DLC, we would know more of what we'll get, but I think he enjoys keeping people speculating.
An Assist Upgrade pack sounds great and they wouldn't even have to exclude third party characters. I can see Shadow, Zero or Bomberman easily getting in a pack like that

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Just watched the reveal and I have to say that she looks extremely fun to play. Might have to consider her for another main.

Also they showed off Krystal as a spirit specifically. That a hint Sakurai? Still, it's good to see that they can work on dlc just fine without endangering themselves.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Also they showed off Krystal as a spirit specifically. That a hint Sakurai? Still, it's good to see that they can work on dlc just fine without endangering themselves.
Maybe we're both reading too much into it, but the way they have Krystal as the premiere AT on the website, how she was given special attention on her reveal, and how even now she gets shown in trailers as a spirit does seem to at the very least indicate they're aware she's popular. I don't think this gives her any higher a chance to get in than some characters. For all we know, it's just Sakurai winking at how she's Fox's love interest.

I would love to see Krystal be playable, in a space suit like her Assault outfit, or maybe a new costume a la Wolf's. Bring back the Orbital Gate Assault level as her featured stage. Have her alt costumes be Fay, Miyu and Katt, perhaps. However, I don't think Sakurai cares all that much, sadly. I've learned to temper my expectations with Smash, as I'm disappointed 80% of the time.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Maybe we're both reading too much into it, but the way they have Krystal as the premiere AT on the website, how she was given special attention on her reveal, and how even now she gets shown in trailers as a spirit does seem to at the very least indicate they're aware she's popular. I don't think this gives her any higher a chance to get in than some characters. For all we know, it's just Sakurai winking at how she's Fox's love interest.

I would love to see Krystal be playable, in a space suit like her Assault outfit, or maybe a new costume a la Wolf's. Bring back the Orbital Gate Assault level as her featured stage. Have her alt costumes be Fay, Miyu and Katt, perhaps. However, I don't think Sakurai cares all that much, sadly. I've learned to temper my expectations with Smash, as I'm disappointed 80% of the time.
They've definitely been acknowledging her popularity more since Ultimate. I liked the reference to her situation in Adventures with one of the challenge board conditions

I still don't understand why Orbital Gate didn't return from Smash Wii U. Loved having a stage based on Assault, even if it felt a bit odd with Krystal not having dialogue there due to the 64/Zero/Starlink voice cast being used. Still with Venom returning from Melee, Wolf from Brawl and Krystal joining as an assist we definitely got more Star Fox content than Smash Wii U overall at least.

On another note Slackerz is now uploading again and Krystal placed 15/100 characters in the tournament he had been doing since last year, not bad at all!
She's now in a new tournament series for characters people want to see upgraded (from spirits, mii costumes, assists, etc.). Eggman outvoted her in the first round this time though so she'll need our support to stay in the tourney and get into more videos

EDIT July 2nd: forgot to add a link to the match Krystal is currently in https://youtu.be/7lVeCJN8Byw

Last edited:

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I could see Krystal getting updated if Nintendo makes a new star fox game they want to promote. Krystal would be an awesome upgrade. Just came to show my support, I’m a shadow fan :) My assist upgrade picks are
Shadow
Isaac
Skull kid
Krystal
Bomberman
Knuckles

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I could see Krystal getting updated if Nintendo makes a new star fox game they want to promote. Krystal would be an awesome upgrade. Just came to show my support, I’m a shadow fan :) My assist upgrade picks are
Shadow
Isaac
Skull kid
Krystal
Bomberman
Knuckles
Welcome to Krystalilization new recruit.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, that picture makes me wonder.

Does Rare still own anything related to Dinosaur Planet that didn't make it into Star Fox Adventures? I was under the assumption that everything related to DP was owned by Nintendo after the Star Fox conversion. But it's really weird how both of Rare's SixFanArts images are dedicated to the characters they directly own (for legal reasons, obviously), all except for Krystal, who became a SF character. So I wonder if it's a weird case where Nintendo owns the Adventures version of Krystal we see in Assault, Command and Smash Bros., but Rare still owns the rights to the original, untouched DP version.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Does Rare still own anything related to Dinosaur Planet that didn't make it into Star Fox Adventures? I was under the assumption that everything related to DP was owned by Nintendo after the Star Fox conversion. But it's really weird how both of Rare's SixFanArts images are dedicated to the characters they directly own (for legal reasons, obviously), all except for Krystal, who became a SF character. So I wonder if it's a weird case where Nintendo owns the Adventures version of Krystal we see in Assault, Command and Smash Bros., but Rare still owns the rights to the original, untouched DP version.
In this case Nintendo would have needed Rare's permission to use this version of Krystal as an assist trophy. If so, I guess people would have noticed and made a fuss about it before Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In this case Nintendo would have needed Rare's permission to use this version of Krystal as an assist trophy. If so, I guess people would have noticed and made a fuss about it before Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion.
I mean, no? The Krystal that appears in Ultimate is the version that appeared in Star Fox Adventures, and would later appear in Assault and Command.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I mean, no? The Krystal that appears in Ultimate is the version that appeared in Star Fox Adventures, and would later appear in Assault and Command.
Ok, you mean a difference between Star Fox Adventure and Dinosaur Planet. For me it's the same thing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns the name Krystal™ and other characters too such as General Scales™ and all other related Star Fox Adventures/Dinosaur Planet characters. The intro and opening scene of Dinosaur Planet is pretty much the same as Star Fox Adventures except the only difference is Scales is a dictator instead of a general:

So I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns this stuff. Rare might still have the source code and the files for the original Dinosaur Planet, but I think Nintendo owns it with how much stayed the same from Dinosaur Planet to Star Fox Adventures.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
She's also an Assist Trophy. She's still deconfirmed.
I still have my reasons for doubting Krystal but you do remember that Sakurai never mentioned the AT as a reason why the ARMS rep wasn't Spring Man right?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Greetings! I am here to talk about Krystal now that Spirits are not deconfirmed and Banjo & Kazooie have come home.
Welcome friend! :)

She's also an Assist Trophy. She's still deconfirmed.
Is she? I believe the Assist Trophy fan rule died when the Spirit fan rule did despite us not yet getting Assist Trophy getting promoted in the same game. Trust me pal even if it's not Krystal, Assist Trophy promotion I think is happening in this game.

I still have my reasons for doubting Krystal but you do remember that Sakurai never mentioned the AT as a reason why the ARMS rep wasn't Spring Man right?
Because there is no such rule. Sakurai can put in whoever the hell he wants even if they're a Assist Trophy. Plus, the reason Min Min was chosen over Spring Man was because of the Arms creator wanting Min Min plus Min Min being the most popular Arms character winning the Party Bash for example.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
He didn't say the opposite either. ATs & Mii costumes were always treated as consolation prizes & that still stands until otherwise said.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
No. Krystal hasn't been deconfirmed. Evidence actually points to the opposite.

Sakurai would much more likely just disable her assist trophy than say she can't make it in. You can see that with Toon Link on his train or Alucard on Wii Fit stage.

He also heavily implied that Spring Man had a shot since he was asking his creator about main characters.

She has other problems that worry me like the fate of her home series. So overall shes definitely still has a chance.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
She has other problems that worry me like the fate of her home series
To me, it's Nintendo choosing the characters. The same company that likes pandering to Star Fox 64. Her best bet is if a Star Fox Zero port would acknowledge complaints both about the controls and about rehashing SF64.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Honestly Krystal has a pretty decent chance at being released from AT prison. Probably more so then Waluigi or Isaac dare I say it. Krystal has been on the board to become a fighter longer then the other two if look back far enough.

Look I know Waluigi has been wildly requested by tons of people around the world, but I don’t think Sakurai would be in favor of making Waluigi a fighter I’m not sure. However, Waluigi’s fan base damaged themselves by harassing Sakurai so much after he explained that ATs can be killed now, but if Nintendo wants Waluigi as fighter in the 2nd pass then Sakurai has got some work to do.

Isaac on the other hand has the issue of only being popular here in North America were as in Japan the Gold Sun series isn’t very well known as far as I know.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I still loooove Krystal! Krystal for life!
:)

But really, I'd just love to see her in smash. She's one of my top picks.
I was thinking of playing smash flash 2 just cuz she's in it, though it's not the same. Still cool

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Honestly Krystal has a pretty decent chance at being released from AT prison. Probably more so then Waluigi or Isaac dare I say it. Krystal has been on the board to become a fighter longer then the other two if look back far enough.
Honestly forgot about that. She was almost chosen for brawl but was cut for Wolf instead because of time constraints.

This along with her alluding to being a fighter herself in their codec and getting an assist trophy shows that Sakurai is aware in the very least. The exciting part is her spirit being shown in Min Min's direct and her history of almost being a brawl fighter are VERY good signs.

So exciting! Thanks for reminding me of even more hope.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Look I know Waluigi has been wildly requested by tons of people around the world, but I don’t think Sakurai would be in favor of making Waluigi a fighter I’m not sure. However, Waluigi’s fan base damaged themselves by harassing Sakurai so much after he explained that ATs can be killed now, but if Nintendo wants Waluigi as fighter in the 2nd pass then Sakurai has got some work to do.

Isaac on the other hand has the issue of only being popular here in North America were as in Japan the Gold Sun series isn’t very well known as far as I know.
I honestly think Waluigi or Isaac has a better shot to get promoted due to their insane popularity. Krystal isn't as popular as she was during the Brawl days.

Also, it was two kids on Twitter harassing Sakurai with 9/11 memes for not putting Waluigi in not the whole Waluigi fanbase. Just two freaking brats.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, it was two kids on Twitter harassing Sakurai with 9/11 memes for not putting Waluigi in not the whole Waluigi fanbase. Just two freaking brats.
If you're gonna correct the thing about Waluigi, I shall correct the thing about Isaac: His fanbase is European as well.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I honestly think Waluigi or Isaac has a better shot to get promoted due to their insane popularity. Krystal isn't as popular as she was during the Brawl days.
The same can be said for Waluigi and Isaac as well. Their popularity is only massive now because of social media being a thing now. During the Brawl era Twitter, Facebook, Discord, etc... weren’t as wildly known/used until now.

Let me rephrase that. What I mean is the damage those two did made the rest of Waluigi‘s fan base look bad in Sakurai’s eyes.

If you're gonna correct the thing about Waluigi, I shall correct the thing about Isaac: His fanbase is European as well.
My bad I forgot to add Europe likes Golden Sun as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The same can be said for Waluigi and Isaac as well. Their popularity is only massive now because of social media being a thing now. During the Brawl era Twitter, Facebook, Discord, etc... weren’t as wildly known/used until now.
Yeah, but what is important is who is popular now that is a stronger determing factor in inclusion in terms of choosing popular characters. K. Rool wasn't that popular during Brawl before Diddy got in and nether was Banjo & Kazooie up until that one dude on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if they could be added if Banjo & Kazooie does well on the Smash Ballot.

Krystal use to be the queen of Smash speculation, but she has fallen from grace and it is up to us to put her back on the throne where she rightfully belongs.

Let me rephrase that. What I mean is the damage those two did made the rest of Waluigi‘s fan base look bad in Sakurai’s eyes.
That won't stop Sakurai from adding Waluigi if Nintendo wants him too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom